• You cannot reply to this topic
138 replies to this topic

#41 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 January 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

I don't think so. If they are "patient" they should have no trouble maneuvering into brawling range. As noted concealment galore.

The map allows for constant maneuvering which could cause problems for the type and funnily, on Alpine they could at least expect where the fight is gonna break and prepare or maneuver there.

I'd love to try bringing a brawling Mech but my 3ERLL Blackjack is too tempting to pass Posted Image

#42 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

So far, I love it. No match is ever the same (so far). Neither are there any mech pile-ups/traffic jams.

They should do more maps like this.

#43 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostIxis, on 19 January 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

wish this had been a CW map,looks great,huge play area and lots of cover to approach the opposition without being seen,would have had some epic battles,but alas its quickdrop,oh well,here's hoping that PGI do similar maps for CW soon

+1 This is what I imagined CW would be like

#44 Kou Uraki

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 9 posts

Every game I played so far turns in to WW1 style trench warfare.

#45 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

View Postdimachaerus, on 19 January 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I love this map, it's actual maneuver warfare as opposed to chokepoint camp fests. You also get to see who can adapt to a moving tactical situation, and who can't. as to the people saying it favors long range weapons exclusively, you're flat out wrong. Use the ditches and ravines and you can get as close or as far from the enemy as you need to be. Sadly most people playing this seem to have lost their ability to do anything of that sort due to a complete lack of any maps like this in the game.

I want more maps like this, make it happen.

I agree fully. To me this is a map -- a bit like Tourmaline -- that's actually really well balanced in giving both long and short range builds plenty of opportunities. Plus, it's huge, and we can see -- even in the dark! (As it should be, with that snow cover.) My new #1 favourite for sure.

It's LRM friendly for sure, but I'm not giving much weight to complaints about that when we have plenty of LRM counters (ECM, AMS, radar derp, smart positioning) go under used.

#46 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

I agree fully. To me this is a map -- a bit like Tourmaline

except tourmaline has actual cover. and tourmaline has 3-dimensional terrain which makes fighting pretty interesting.

plus tourmaline is a hot map so it actually punishes lasers builds rather than encouraging them

tourmaline is way better

Edited by Khobai, 19 January 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#47 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Just had a match on this map and the enemy used cover to advance very well. I was in a missile boat and rarely got a lock on anyone until they charged out to finish the last few of us off.
There's plenty of cover.

I could see this becoming my favourite map.

#48 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

There's plenty of cover.

theres only shallow cover though. lrms fly right over it.

just take a narc light and start narcing the enemy team. if you have 2-3 lrm boats its instant win for your team.

because there is no deep cover to hide from lrms. once you narc someone its literally a death sentence.

#49 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

I am really looking forward to playing this map when I finish work. It sounds like how PGI should have made MECHWARRIOR maps to begin with. But I won't be able to judge it properly without a hundred or more matches on it.

#50 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

I hadn't skilled up my Raven 3L yet after buying it during the sale... first match I did 88 damage.... but got 3500 xp from the amount of tagging I did for my team. :D

It has very little hard cover from LRMs so it is a scout and anti-scouts map to make or break for the LRM boats or for just detecting the enemy movements.

I've seen more flanking and counter flanks so far, hopefully there isn't something that everyone starts rotating around. I prefer a more fluid battlefield than so many known elements.

#51 CF Alpha Scout

• PipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

I grew up with MechWarrior 4 Mercs, and this map is no riddle to me. BTW love this map now XD

#52 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

It's a brawlers wet dream...when the team makes the push.

But yeah LRM's are pretty heavy on this map, had 2x AMS with 3 and a half ton of ammo and ran out within 2 minutes but got 5 kills and 500+ damage that match. lol

#53 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

Soooooo......is it the biggest non CW map so far?

#54 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:22 PM

I will try my objective opinion without the need to 'satisfy' the artists that worked on this map;

I don't like it.

Too flat

Alot of garbage snowpiles plumped onto it.

There is absolutely nothing strategic or dynamic about this new map.

Cheers!

#55 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

My experience so far running with the narcferret.

If you have more than 2 LRM boats on your team... the enemy is D . E . A . D!

people who are saying that bringing kfx with ecm and 3xAMS helps are delusional.... NOTHING can prevent the impending LRM doom other than another narc/lurm team.

#56 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 January 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Concealment, mind you, not cover, which is going to get a lot of thickheaded people LRM'd to death.

Yep. Too many people don't understand the difference.

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but from the sound of things this map may resurrect Radar Derp. I'd stopped using it because it's just too damn easy to completely avoid LRMs on most maps, but if this one only has concealment and no cover it might be worth carrying again (on slow Mechs).

#57 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 19 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

My experience so far running with the narcferret.

If you have more than 2 LRM boats on your team... the enemy is D . E . A . D!

people who are saying that bringing kfx with ecm and 3xAMS helps are delusional.... NOTHING can prevent the impending LRM doom other than another narc/lurm team.

Free ECM for the poor! Or just pack ERLLs on Mechs with energy range quirks and take it out for a spin Posted Image

#58 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

Man, this map is sick!

Finally a map that is actually intuitive, scouting the enemy is important, as well as using your angle of attack and defense. Played 4 maps, and rekt enemies every time by figuring out their position, slightly pushing my team into the right position (helps when u also get good callers).

One match was a standoff, with the enemy encircling our defensive position, but we managed to keep range and rekt them, while we won a clash at our left flank.

3rd match was more slowly, we pushed basically between the enemies flanks and took out their long range mechs with good poking, followed by a succsefull, concentrated push in the middle. Then, cleaning up the seperated flanks was ez pz.

4th match was incredible. We went to the middle, while having scouts at both flanks. Found our slightly passive enemy in their range behind mid, so we moved together with some heavies and an atlas towards the right flanks, and basically fought a 10 minute long running battle, constantly moving around the enemies flanks and exchanging fire. We had some long range duels distracting the enemy, and, after a fierce battle, they couldn't keep up anymore and tried to retreat, which gave us an easy cleanup, and, of course, the victory. My jager took a lot of damage, but the constant moving battle made me harder to hit, while a bunch of ultra ac's and laser pushed out lots of damage.

I've got no clue how the meta is gonna evolve, but I love the map for now. Really brings somewhat to MWO it lacked. I don't really see the complaints about cover; there are like a million hills and trenches. It's actually very easy to close in to the enemy if you know what you're doing and the team is compliant.

Edited by Averen, 19 January 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#59 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Bring LLs, c-LPLs and radar dep, **** on LRM boats, enjoy their tears. There are enough slopes to brake LoS easy.

On the other hand, there are not nearly enough cover to move brawlers within 300m before gettin picked apart by 5-600m range weapons.

This map is meta-fest at its best, loving it.

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 19 January 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Agreed. Critical, its a thinking man's map. Expect a lot of hate for it because of precisely this !

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users