390 replies to this topic

#21 Kowalien

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGotenhafen

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

Well, there is plenty of cover there. And it is possible to get into brawl and melt down snipers and lrm shooters. Just flank as hell. Well, MWO is all about flanking Posted Image

Edited by Kowalien, 19 January 2016 - 11:34 PM.

#22 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 19 January 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

MWO players just aren't used to facing LRMs on maps that really punish them for getting out of position. Especially pugs. On basically every map except Caustic, there's so much cover you don't really need to worry about UAVs. Cover is always within arm's length, basically.

It's the first map where players are forced to deal with long range weapons and LRMs with relatively little cover, outside of CW.

It's the first map where you can take a long range build, like a PPC Awesome, gauss sniper or LRM boat, and you don't have to pray to the Gods that your teammates don't choose a path that renders your build all but entirely useless. "Oops, my team went under platform on Crimson. ggclose, another match with 0-50 dmg."

MWO players are so conditioned to play on maps where all the fighting takes place at 300 meters and there's no need for scouting at all, many get upset.

I imagine a lot of players who begged for maps like this since 2012 have left MWO for MW:LL or other games.

TL;DR - Potentially best map in MWO. Certainly top 3. Y'all need to learn how to shoot down uavs.

Not only is the new map thoroughly excellent, every game I have had on it was fought in varying locations at varying ranges, it also is devoid at the moment of the NASCAR effect the other smaller moba maps suffer.

Its unfortunate that Alot of MWO players don't understand why skylineing is bad.

#23 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 19 January 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

Not only is the new map thoroughly excellent, every game I have had on it was fought in varying locations at varying ranges, it also is devoid at the moment of the NASCAR effect the other smaller moba maps suffer.

Its unfortunate that Alot of MWO players don't understand why skylineing is bad.

Agreed! It feels so much more fluid than the other maps; less camping, more of a running battle. More fun than I have had in MWO in a very long time!

#24 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Yeah. This map will definitely meet Therma and Alpine in my list of worst maps in this game. Just yesterday we were talking about removing terrible, unfair, unbalanced Meta Maps from rotation. And what now? Instead of having Therma and Alpine deleted, we are getting LRM-fest Meta Map, that nobody will want to play at the end, instead! Why? I guess, because PGI is selling LRM Meta 'Mech now - Archer! So, the loop of Meta is closed now. Gratz! We have returned to LRM Meta.

Edited by MrMadguy, 19 January 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#25 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 19 January 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

Yeah. This map will definitely meet Therma and Alpine in my list of worst maps in this game. Just yesterday we were talking about removing terrible, unfair, unbalanced Meta Maps from rotation. And what now? Instead of having Therma and Alpine deleted, we are getting LRM-fest Meta Map instead! Why? I guess, because PGI is selling LRM Meta 'Mech now - Archer! So, the loop of Meta is closed now. Gratz! We have returned to LRM Meta.

Honestly, most of the LRM heavy teams I've been seeing have lost. They tend to get an early lead and then just completely fold as they get pushed by direct fire.

#26 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Yeah. This map will definitely meet Therma and Alpine in my list of worst maps in this game. Just yesterday we were talking about removing terrible, unfair, unbalanced Meta Maps from rotation. And what now? Instead of having Therma and Alpine deleted, we are getting LRM-fest Meta Map instead! Why? I guess, because PGI is selling LRM Meta 'Mech now - Archer! So, the loop of Meta is closed now. Gratz! We have returned to LRM Meta.

Therma is not really bad, IMHO; the idiots who stop in the doorway when the team is trying to push into the crater are the problem.

Alpine has its moments; I do not hate it as much as I used to. It is very painful in an assault mech, but very, very fun in a mobile heavy (or smaller) mech.

Also...LRM's can be easily countered by properly equipping your mech with AMS and Radar Deprivation, and keeping a small hill nearby (they are all over; fight from the trenches, not the tops of the hills). Bringing ECM will also help you, as well as nearby allies.

#27 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

View PostKowalien, on 19 January 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Well, there is plenty of cover there. And it is possible to get into brawl and melt down snipers and lrm shooters. Just flank as hell. Well, MWO is all about flanking Posted Image

The problem is, 90% of MWO players don't know what flanking means. And I'm not exaggerating.

They think 'flanking' means that the whole team should circle the enemy and attack from a different angle. So when someone calls for the team to 'flank their position', everyone starts circling and the Nascar begins.

Flanking actually means to attack from side in addition to the front. Normally, you hold the front line with slower, heavier forces (e.g. heavies and assaults) and you send faster forces (e.g. lights and mediums) to flank the enemy by attacking an exposed side.

As long as the average player doesn't understand such fundamental concepts, as long as they believe circling the enemy is the key to victory, it's kind of hard to get any kind of advanced gameplay going. And people won't understand why they're getting smashed, and then they'll complain.

#28 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

NO MORE DIFFERENT ME HATE DIFFERENT!

#29 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

View PostFlutterguy, on 19 January 2016 - 11:43 PM, said:

Honestly, most of the LRM heavy teams I've been seeing have lost. They tend to get an early lead and then just completely fold as they get pushed by direct fire.

Played it in LRM boat yesterday - we won 12:1. L2P LRM boats.

Edited by MrMadguy, 19 January 2016 - 11:55 PM.

#30 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 19 January 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

Played it in LRM boat yesterday - we won 12:1. L2P LRM boats.

Oh? Cuz I've been running an LRM Raven. It must single-handed won all my games even when no one else on my team was using LRMs. The aura of power from my launchers were so strong that even though I was killing a King Crab half way across the map it gave my team the power to crush LRM boats with mere conventional direct fire weapons.

#31 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

I can't comment on how good or bad the map is...because you trolling ***** KEEP VOTING FOR GODDAMN FOREST COLONY AND TERRA ******* THERMA.

*walks away to breathe*

#32 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

Look. If PGI wants to have Meta maps in their games due to some reasons - to run tournaments, events or something like that for example - fine. But this maps should be wiped from PUG queue.

#33 Glaucon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:17 AM

I like this map, it feels like I am fighting on a real terrain. There are lot of cover to close on the enemy team, and you can stay completely hidden from LRM's if you position yourself right.

#34 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

LRM-fest Meta Map

what does that even mean?

you do realize that LRMs are in no way shape or form "meta" don't you?

#35 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

View PostTripzter, on 19 January 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

This map is by far worse than Alpine.

It's wide open, no where to hide.. Took my LRM boat on it to get my 2x xp.. Without even breaking a sweat i did over 1200 dmg. Did you guys seriously think a flat map is a good idea?

Best map in the game more like it. people need to learn to use terrain trenchs and not stand in the open like noobs.

thanks for telling us your T5 to get such a score vs noobs.

#36 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:30 AM

I spent the whole of yesterday dropping in a Titanium White twERLL Ravel 3-L (White is on sale). Got quite a few goes at Polar, and it was glorious! Back in beta, standard light tactics were to run behind the enemy and shoot them in the back, but people wised up to that after a while. But skirting around Polar in the ruts, popping up occasionally to see what's what, and radioing info back to the deathball, before closing in on the enemy flanks... Well, I'm having fun. There should be no greater dilemma for a light than choosing between taking a shot now, or waiting for the lurms to start hitting before firing.

Also, there are a lot of buildings and icebergs that would cover a King Crab from lurms. But everyone only wants to run up the middle at full speed.

This is a great map.

#37 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

Weather Fox has something to say.

Posted Image

That is all. Proceed.

#38 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

The new map is fine, it's even very good in my opinion. You are just incompetent. 1200 damage, how many kills was attached to that,not many I'm guessing.

The only thing that needs a tweak is doubling the ticket amount in conquest.

#39 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

Assault 'Mech - is legitimate choice. Brawler build - is legitimate choice. Big maps gimp Assaults and Brawlers. Small maps don't gimp Lights and Snipers/LRM boats so much. Complete imbalance. I just hate to play WalkWarrior Online, AutoPilotWarrior Online and ChatWarrior Online for 10 minutes, sorry.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostTripzter, on 19 January 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

This map is by far worse than Alpine.

It's wide open, no where to hide.. Took my LRM boat on it to get my 2x xp.. Without even breaking a sweat i did over 1200 dmg. Did you guys seriously think a flat map is a good idea?

L2P?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users