Kodiak

93 replies to this topic

#21 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:06 AM

Gosh darn it. Just after I said that I didn't want to buy more hero mechs... I see this beast.

Darn it , I wish I knew how to quit you....

#22 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

Just to get a few values, this is the KDK-1 stock loadout slaped together on an DWF.
The KDK actually has the DHS not in the arms but in the engine and utilize Endo-Steel.
Those "free" tonnage is used up by the 400 XL-engine.
If I calculate correctly the KDK-1 should have 7 free slots, so as an easy improvement you could upgrade to ferro and use it to max out the armor. Not possible, only 3 free slots, I forgot the lower arms and hands Posted Image

In general the Kodiak with endo, ferro, 609/614 armor and 400 XL-engine will have 44,5t and 29 slots free space.
And just endo, 608/614 armor and 400 XL-engine should result in 42,5t and 36 slots free space.

I think the Standard pack has a nice diversity.
On the Spirit bear I'm a little unsure, the MASC sounds nice but the hardpoit layout looks meh...
The reinforcement pack looks quite redundant, maybe the KDK-5 for those who want 2 more lasers to vomit with...
As I think like the IIC the Kodiak will not get any quirks.

Edited by Aeon Veritas, 05 February 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#23 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,685 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostLuminis, on 04 February 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

So... KDK-3...

TC6 + 2x LB20-X (with 3 tons of ammo) + 4x ML = 40 tons, right?

2x LPL + 2X UAC10 (+3.5 tons of ammo) + TC1 = 40 tons, right? Plus a dead side to twist with? Probably more heat efficient?

Oh lawd... I want that.

I think Kodiak 5 [KDK-5] is better of the five. Gauss and Energy. I can definitely see a Dire-Bear Happening with this beauty. And I get it. . . Ghost Heat. With all those Energy Hardpoints <11 in all>, it'll run hot. Yet, in the right hands, it'll make anyone think twice about facing it down. Especially, if an unlucky player runs into underneath the platform on Crimson.

#24 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

Does Endo Steel free up more, less or the same tonnage as the 400xl takes up compared to a Dire Wolf? In other words, does the Kodiak have more free tonnage, when stripped of equipment, than a Dire Wolf?

Will Kodiak have fixed heatsinks/stuff like any other non-IIC clan mechs? Will it be able to switch armor and internals? Will it be able to switch engine?

Edited by Dibster, 04 February 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#25 Irishtoker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 102 posts
  • LocationIn a hole at the bottom of the Nexus.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

I'm curious about how early adapter rewards work. I would not mind earning the modules, 30 days banked, etc for buying the mechs. Basic package only.

If I don't have both modules unlocked, will i still receive the item...will it perhaps be unlocked for me (since I would have paid for it)?

#26 Kidler

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOST, Poland

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

If Megatron seduced Wolverine their child would look like Kodiak.Posted Image

#27 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostDibster, on 04 February 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Does Endo Steel free up more, less or the same tonnage as the 400xl takes up compared to a Dire Wolf? In other words, does the Kodiak have more free tonnage, when stripped of equipment, than a Dire Wolf?

Will Kodiak have fixed heatsinks/stuff like any other non-IIC clan mechs? Will it be able to switch armor and internals? Will it be able to switch engine?

Endo-Steel frees up 5% of the max tonnage of the mech. In case of the Kodiak 5t.
To upgrade from the 300XL the Dire got to the 400XL you need 18t.

Think of the IIC and Kodiak as IS mechs for a better understanding.
You can choose if you want endo and/or ferro or not with the difference that the clan upgrades only use 7 slots instead of 14 for the IS ones.
But they have no omni-pods, ergo a fixed hardpoint layout.
Further they have no hardwired equipment like DHS or MASC.
So if you don't like MASC or need the tonnage / space you could unequip it on the Spirit bear.
Or move it to the left torso to free up space for a AC20.

#28 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks, that gave me all the info I need to emulate the Kodiak in Smurfy. Posted Image

Looks like it'll be the KDK-3 with XL400, Endo Steel, Ferro Fibrous, 19DHS, 6xERML, 4xUAC5 /w 8 tons of ammo for me. If I got it right, that's all slots and pretty much all weight used.

Edited by Dibster, 04 February 2016 - 08:38 AM.

#29 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Just keep the Atlas pilots away from these monsters and all will be well.

#30 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

The thing I most like about the Kodiak is that its a relatively fast brawler style battlemech. It also can take routes into combat that might not be expected giving it a slight edge in that it can trade effectively on the first salvo. All in all I think it will make a fine clan brawler and i expect to see them leading clan mechs into battle in faction drops.

#31 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostLuminis, on 04 February 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

So... KDK-3...

TC6 + 2x LB20-X (with 3 tons of ammo) + 4x ML = 40 tons, right?

2x LPL + 2X UAC10 (+3.5 tons of ammo) + TC1 = 40 tons, right? Plus a dead side to twist with? Probably more heat efficient?

Oh lawd... I want that.

Remember that targeting computers don't have any effect upon the LBX autocannons. So the first build wouldn't benefit nearly so much from the TC unless you were to go for the UAC-20 in lieu of the LBX.

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 04 February 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

The thing I most like about the Kodiak is that its a relatively fast brawler style battlemech. It also can take routes into combat that might not be expected giving it a slight edge in that it can trade effectively on the first salvo. All in all I think it will make a fine clan brawler and i expect to see them leading clan mechs into battle in faction drops.

Yeah this mech is going to actually be able to make use of that huge engine unlike the Gargoyle. And furthermore, you can swap out to a smaller engine for more tonnage / slots if you wish.

This mech has me totally excited, I do declare!

Edited by grendeldog, 04 February 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#32 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

It can mount firepower just shy of a Direwolf, while being much faster. This is like the Artic Cheetah when Wave III was announced; the Kodiak will be good. The hitboxes will largely determine how good it will be. So obviously I'm excited :D

With an XL-400 (can fit 16 internal DHS), Endo Steel Frame, and armor rounded down to the nearest .5 ton, the Kodiak comes in at 57.5 tons. That leaves 42.5 tons (44.5 with Ferro) and 47 free slots at it's max engine size to play with which is a lot!

My thoughts (and feel free to check my math, cause I am bad at it);

KDK-1; XL400, ESF, UAC20/5.5 tons ammo (17.5 t), 8 ERML (8 t), 2 SRM6/2 tons ammo (5 t), 12 DHS. Very hot but a nice skirmisher. Everything I wanted the Executioner to be beforce it got saddled with 12 tons of locked equipment. Though it would be nice to have MASC on this one. You can swap the ERMLs for SPLs and become a brutal brawler with ludicrous sustained DPS.

KDK-2; XL400, ESF, Gauss Rifle/4.5 tons of ammo (16.5 t), 2 LPL (12), 4 ERML (4 t), 10 DHS (10 t). Basically a Gauss vomit Warhawk that lost 2 heat sinks and 3 KPH, gained an ERML and 100 tonner of armor. Take away an ERML and DHS and add a jump jet for mobility. Decent skirmisher assault.

KDK-3; XL400, ESF, FF, 4x UAC5/8.5 tons ammo (36.5 t), 4 ERML (4 t), 4 DHS (4 t). 100 tons of death by dakka running at 70 kph. The Dakka Wolf is obsolete. You can downgrade the engine to a 375 and make that a quad UAC10!

Bear Spirit; XL400, ESF, 4x SRM6/5.5 tons ammo (15.5 t), UAC20/5 tons ammo (17.5 t), 2 ERML (2 t), 8 DHS, MASC. It's an Atlas-S and it can burst to medium mech speeds over short distances! This mech is going to be so bad ***. The Atlas has always had great brawling power, it's main problem being so big and so slow. The Bear Spirit with it's very cool paint job and MASC, plus better missile ranges cause Clan, gets to go around that problem completely.

Don't care about the other 2. The 4 just looks bad and the 5 is meh to me. The Bear Spirit and the 3 excite me the most.

#33 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostIrishtoker, on 04 February 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

If I don't have both modules unlocked, will i still receive the item...will it perhaps be unlocked for me (since I would have paid for it)?

I believe you get them, but you can't use it until you spend the GXP.

#34 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

If it's any good at all, which it won't be, it'll be NERFED into the equivalent of a stock Hunchback by the end of June.

It'll be crap though, because it's got a torso as wide as an Awesome, and it's purposely built as a brawler. With I.S. LRMs hitting like a hammer, and I.S. ERLLASERS now out ranging the Clan equivalent, they'll never make it far enough on the battlefield to ever hurt anyone, unless they just happen to bump into each other around a corner.

Clan tech has been NERFED so badly that it can't even be called "Clan tech" anymore.

#35 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostDuncan1dah0, on 04 February 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

I believe you get them, but you can't use it until you spend the GXP.

Yup that's correct

#36 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 04 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Remember that targeting computers don't have any effect upon the LBX autocannons. So the first build wouldn't benefit nearly so much from the TC unless you were to go for the UAC-20 in lieu of the LBX. ;

That is the stock loadout :)

View PostT Decker, on 04 February 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

If it's any good at all, which it won't be, it'll be NERFED into the equivalent of a stock Hunchback by the end of June.

Because PGI didn't just announce they're undoing the negative quirks on the top clan Mechs and decided to buff the underperformers. They didn't announce to nerf Is laser ranges or anything...

PGI is out to get you. Not Clan players, just you specifically. :D

#37 MandarbBushido

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

Kodiak, now with retractable claws. +2 damage to melee attacks.

#38 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

Haha that would be a great use of 'missle Bay doors' retractable Claws lol...

#39 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Guess who couldn't resist pre-ordering :P only the base package, though. Three 100 tonners plus the pre-order goodies and the premium time seamed like a steal.

Also, exchange rates ftw :D

#40 RandomExponent1

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Anyone else bother to read the Sarna post on the Kodiak? Kodiak-3 is a mid-3060s variant so where is the time jump in game?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users