• 2,773 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

and Qualify for Early Adoptor Rewards!

Harbing Forest

Soverzene, Rubigen Prefecture

Alshain Military District, Draconis Combine

9 September 3050

Any time now. Any time ….

Loremaster Laurie Tseng watched her radar display carefully. The garish, green light—the only illumination in her nearly powered-down BattleMech—threw harsh angles on her sweat-slicked face behind the neurohelmet face-screen. Despite her superb physicality, a smattering of wrinkles wove around the corner of her intent eyes and pursed lips, showcasing unusual age for a Clan warrior.

Her fingers fluttered as though wishing to grab joysticks and search for targets of their own volition. Her lips twitched.

Two decades of fighting, and now I engage in the most important battle of my command as all my Night Howlers take this world from these stravag Combine warriors. And yet I would spoil the trap? As she had done ever since her Trial of Position on Arcadia all those years ago, she schooled her impatience. The fight was almost here, the trap almost sprung.

Pyrotechnic flashes burst in the distance, painting the night in the whites and reds of combat, throwing strange shadows among massive tree trunks. While the sound was muffled to extinction in her hermetically sealed cockpit, the vibrations of ever closer explosions worked their way up from the forest floor, through her Kodiak and into her seat.

“Galaxy Commander,” a voice sparked in her ear. “This is Star Captain Vuk. My aerospace fighters have finished forcing the Second Alshain Regulars into the forest. The 304th Assault Cluster is harrying their retreat, keeping their attention. The trap is primed, quiaff?”

She clenched her jaw to open a return channel. “Aff, Star Captain. If this conquest is worthy of inclusion in The Remembrance, there may yet be a line for your contributions.”

There was no response, nor was any expected. Duty performed with excellence, as all her Night Howlers exemplified.

She watched the darts on her radar cascade closer, their line of retreat haphazard after losing almost twenty percent of their fighting strength. She gauged the moment, right hand cradling a joystick, left poised above the power sequence. The stench of too many days in the cockpit filled her nostrils as adrenaline slowly spiked in anticipation. Breathing increased as her body ramped up to the coming fight.

The lead Draconis Combine BattleMech—a light machine they called a Panther—crossed the invisible line she had drawn across the radar screen. Her left hand flashed through the power-up sequence and her Spirit Bear surged to life with joy. The thrum of the awakened fusion reactor unleashed its energy to her fingertips, and euphoria poured dopamine into her system until her skin tingled.

As her ’Mech awakened, she brought the targeting reticule into line, and it flashed gold … past the Panther to the mammoth tree trunk where she had carefully cut away large chunks earlier in the day. She lit off her massive ultra autocannon, and its stream of depleted-uranium slugs tore into the trunk, tearing away the last of its structural integrity. With a horrendous snap that echoed despite the awful drone of the autocannon, the tree began to topple then gained speed as it neared the ground. The mammoth evergreen drove down atop the Panther’s head as though a hammer to a nail, instantly crushing the cockpit and driving most of the thirty-five-ton hulk into the rich loam.

At the spectacular signal—which would also push the heavier BattleMechs of the Second farther into her trap—her 332nd Assault Cluster awakened across a curving arc more than a kilometer long. Savage lights tore into the enemy like bear claws, stunning an already wearied foe.

Her lips twitched towards a rare smile as she pushed the throttle forward, Spirit Bear taking a massive step, targeting the next BattleMech through the trees.

This planet is mine.

KODIAK “SPIRIT BEAR”

Sensing a shift in the balance of power among the Clans following the Dragoon Compromise of 3000, Clan Ghost Bear commissioned the Kodiak. While it would not go to the extremes of the Mandrill or Thunder Stallion, the Kodiak was nevertheless intended to be a totem ’Mech, showcasing the power of the Ghost Bear to dominate its enemies. This is exemplified in its heavy armor and massive array of eight extended-range medium lasers, making it a perfect defensive unit to hold the center of any line. Its surprising ability to hit bursts of sixty-four kilometers an hour while bringing to bear the massive power of an ultra-class autocannon 20 allows the Kodiak to surprise opponents with a powerful offensive attack.

One of the oldest Ghost Bear warriors in frontline duty, Laurie Tseng is a perfect fit for her Spirit Bear: ever cautious and methodical, but striking unexpectedly with ghost bear–like ferocity. She earned a single kill in her initial Trial of Position and slowly climbed the ladder of leadership within Clan Ghost Bear, despite numerous ristar warriors challenging her path. Whether navigating the political machinations of a Clan Council or developing the strategy required for a large-scale planetary invasion, her slow-but-steady mindset raised her to the level of Loremaster and commander of Beta Galaxy.

Despite some still openly questioning her battlefield acumen, there is no doubt Loremaster Tseng and her Spirit Bear will make a pivotal mark in Ghost Bear history for years to come.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

#2 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Wow, the Kodiak looks really good

#3 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Loved the story as well.

#4 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

I'm excited... can't wait to pilot this mech.

#5 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

Finally some Clan lore :)

Boy I want a Kodiak!

#6 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

Good to see the orthos has the arms up higher like the concept art. This may temporarily replace my Dire Wolf until my Mad Cat MK II comes out after Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 23 February 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#7 Vykryl

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Its better than the BH in every way.. faster, more dakka, more wub,and not a IS XL... The Atlas has met its match.

#8 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

inb4 Bishop's pink care bear

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Love, love, love the arms in the orthographic. Please have them like that in game. Please.

Edited by Wintersdark, 22 February 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#10 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Speechless, that's precisely how authors like Randall Bills leave me with works like this. You can almost smell the pine in the forest. In my mind's eye I see the snow and imagine the shock of the freebirth as he sees a 100 ton mech materialize out of nowhere. A great author makes the story come alive for the reader, well done.

#11 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Is it May yet???? So excited!!!!

#12 Jhondra

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

Bought it first day it was on preorder. Love the looks of this mech. Almost worth the $15 for the hero too? Posted Image
My wife is going to kill me. But....it is cheaper than golf or Fantasy Football, gambling or a *****r/mistress...

-Jhondra

edit (what? you can't say H00k3r on here? Sigh...just for that PGI, I'm going to have to take back my 4 Cbills I've plopped down on this game IRL).

P.S. I just got notified that I've been selected as an early beta tester of the Kokiak and the little swirly "redeeming items" is turning now!!! SO EXCITED!!!

Edited by Jhondra, 22 February 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#13 Jhondra

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostJhondra, on 22 February 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Bought it first day it was on preorder. Love the looks of this mech. Almost worth the $15 for the hero too? Posted Image
My wife is going to kill me. But....it is cheaper than golf or Fantasy Football, gambling or a *****r/mistress...

-Jhondra

edit (what? you can't say H00k3r on here? Sigh...just for that PGI, I'm going to have to take back my 4 Cbills I've plopped down on this game IRL).

P.S. I just got notified that I've been selected as an early beta tester of the Kokiak and the little swirly "redeeming items" is turning now!!! SO EXCITED!!!

Whoa!!! I was just kidding...sheeze...it's a game (A great game, with some amazing visuals and what I imagine MechWarrior 2 use to be like...in my golden age rememberance vission)! So much for the Millennial "I want it now and I'm pissed if I don't get it, and you'll pay for what you wronged me for, but not really, I'm just spoiled by great customer service and not having to live in the 10th century and worry about dying in the winter"...

And, quit diss'n the Draconis faction my profile currently shows!!! It's a 7 day double agent information push...wow. Please stop the IM attacks. You'd think I was Kanye...

:P

#14 DiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBetween Type 1 and Type 2

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 22 February 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Love, love, love the arms in the orthographic. Please have them like that in game. Please.

I'm all over it mate ;)

#15 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

OK this PUPPY is contemplating on BUYING the KODIAK...

So it has Claws for Visual....5 Claws would be nicer...

HEY LISTEN UP PGI...THESE CLAWS NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO SOMETHING.....LIKE ...MAYBE...IMPALE ENEMY MECHS.....

MAKE THE KODIAK THE FIRST MELEE COMBAT MECH OF THE GAME.....I would love to punch out another MECHS Cockpit with those Claws.

Better YET...since this MECH has HANDS...I would like to GRASP the KING CRAB MECH...BREAK OFF ITS CLAWS.....
After throwing Butter on the KING CRAB...i want to then slap and beat that Crab silly with his own ripped of Claw.
THAT WOULD MAKE THIS GAME TOTALLY AWESOME. YOUR SALES WOULD GO THROUGH THE ROOF.

#16 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

So, the claws will animate(retract/extend) using some function like king crab claws(I pinch) and missile bay doors(flappy flappy) right? Cause I wanna intimidate me some red team wanna-be's with furious claw extending and retracting!

Enemy King Crab: I pinch you! I pinch you!!(claws furiously closing and opening)
My Kodiak: I stab you! I stab you!(Claws furiously retracting and extending)
Catapult C4: uh, I have lurms?(door flapping intensifies)

Say it's gonna happen PGI!

#17 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 22 February 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

OK this PUPPY is contemplating on BUYING the KODIAK...

So it has Claws for Visual....5 Claws would be nicer...

HEY LISTEN UP PGI...THESE CLAWS NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO SOMETHING.....LIKE ...MAYBE...IMPALE ENEMY MECHS.....

MAKE THE KODIAK THE FIRST MELEE COMBAT MECH OF THE GAME.....I would love to punch out another MECHS Cockpit with those Claws.

Better YET...since this MECH has HANDS...I would like to GRASP the KING CRAB MECH...BREAK OFF ITS CLAWS.....
After throwing Butter on the KING CRAB...i want to then slap and beat that Crab silly with his own ripped of Claw.
THAT WOULD MAKE THIS GAME TOTALLY AWESOME. YOUR SALES WOULD GO THROUGH THE ROOF.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Kodiak's claws were never used in melee. They were purely ornamental and would probably snap if you tried to attack a 'mech with them.

#18 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

i want the titanium nails on my Yen Lo Wang if this beast gets real "claws"

BTW love the Kodiak and may have to open the wallet after the bills are paid.

#19 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

Am I the only one who finds it disconcerting that the lore here talks about a heavier mech being able to step on and crush a smaller one when my 90 ton Banshee can't even push aside a 20 ton Locust much less a tree root?

#20 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

All I can say is:

F*** YEAH

And all I can say to haters: