What Mech Do You Least Want To See/ Hope Never Makes It Into Mwo?

141 replies to this topic

#101 Wild Pegasus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:47 PM

View Postmartian, on 28 February 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

So Clan 20-tonner is smaller and more fragile than IS 65-tonner? What a surprise.

Okay, fine. Let me put if this way. Do Clanners want a light mech LRM boat that is slower, easier to hit and and less capable than the Jenner IIC, which we already have?

#102 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 28 February 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

You have to admit that.... Thing look garbage compared to the Catapult.

Most things look like garbage compared to MWO's Catapult

#103 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

Anything clan?

#104 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Ima jus gonna leave this here.

Posted Image

#105 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

View PostSami Starvixen, on 28 February 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

Okay, fine. Let me put if this way. Do Clanners want a light mech LRM boat that is slower, easier to hit and and less capable than the Jenner IIC, which we already have?

Does it mean that we can leave your comparison of Clan Light 'Mech with Inner Sphere Heavy Catapult?

If it gives the Clans 20-tonner - which is a 'Mech that the Clans are missing in MWO - then yes. Even though I would rather see Dasher or Piranha.

As for being "slower", Baboon is a BattleMech, so you can customize it with various standard and XL engines to make it go faster (within the limits of PGI's decision regarding allowed engine sizes).

As for being "easier to hit", haven't you noticed that Baboon is 20-tonner? That means that it would be very probably smaller than Jenner IIC (35 tons) and thus more difficult to hit.

And as for being "less capable"? There are MWO players are taking UrbanMechs, Spiders, Commandos and Locusts, even though those 'Mechs pack less firepower than the Firestarter (for example). Some people play "for fun".

Edited by martian, 29 February 2016 - 01:18 AM.

#106 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:22 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 29 February 2016 - 01:10 AM, said:

Actually, I like this 'Mech in BattleTech. It lets me bring a lot of LRMs while having low BV cost. YMN-10-OR is even better.

#107 Wild Pegasus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

View Postmartian, on 29 February 2016 - 01:14 AM, said:

Does it mean that we can leave your comparison of Clan Light 'Mech with Inner Sphere Heavy Catapult?

They have a similar visual profile and serve the same role of long-range fire support, so just because one is smaller doesn't mean they're completely different from each other.

If it gives the Clans 20-tonner - which is a 'Mech that the Clans are missing in MWO - then yes. Even though I would rather see Dasher or Piranha.

I don't think including something so limited just for the sake of it being on the low end of the tonnage scale is a terribly good use of resources, but that's just my opinion.

As for being "slower", Baboon is a BattleMech, so you can customize it with various standard and XL engines to make it go faster (within the limits of PGI's decision regarding allowed engine sizes).

It also has endo and ferro already on it, and the decision to give it a standard engine was so it would have room to fit three tons of ammo. It probably couldn't even fit an XL because it was built specifically around those traits and is likely stuffed to the gills as it is.

As for being "easier to hit", haven't you noticed that Baboon is 20-tonner? That means that it would be very probably smaller than Jenner IIC (35 tons) and thus more difficult to hit.

It also has giant shoulders that would be focused on much like the Hunchback, and all of its three weapon mounts are exclusively on that right shoulder and they stick way the heck up like a giant billboard. The arms aren't even really in a useful spot to catch shots with torso twisting. One of the Jenner's main problems is that while it's not tall it's very wide, and the Baboon looks even wider still.

And as for being "less capable"? There are MWO players are taking UrbanMechs, Spiders, Commandos and Locusts, even though those 'Mechs pack less firepower than the Firestarter (for example). Some people play "for fun".

Yeah, one of my most played mechs is a SDR-5K so I'm well aware of that. But this does nothing that those mechs do that makes them fun. Lose the right shoulder or run out of ammo and the Baboon is a walking paperweight, so what exactly is fun to do with it once you lose all your offensive ability?

Edited by Sami Starvixen, 29 February 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#108 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 29 February 2016 - 01:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Ah. The Yeoman. So ugly I'm not sure even Alex could manage to save that thing. Would be kind of interesting to see him give it a try though. :)

#109 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:03 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 29 February 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Ah. The Yeoman. So ugly I'm not sure even Alex could manage to save that thing. Would be kind of interesting to see him give it a try though. Posted Image

The first time I saw the Yeoman I thought it had 360 torso rotation due to the fact it looks like the leggs are backwards

#110 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:11 AM

View PostSami Starvixen, on 29 February 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

They have a similar visual profile and serve the same role of long-range fire support, so just because one is smaller doesn't mean they're completely different from each other.

Spot the difference in size and shape.
Baboon would be probably even smaller than the Koshi on the right:
Posted Image

I don't think including something so limited just for the sake of it being on the low end of the tonnage scale is a terribly good use of resources, but that's just my opinion.

Obviously, PGI thinks differently considering that they have added Locust, Koshi, etc.

It also has endo and ferro already on it, and the decision to give it a standard engine was so it would have room to fit three tons of ammo. It probably couldn't even fit an XL because it was built specifically around those traits and is likely stuffed to the gills as it is.

In other words, you are discussing a 'Mech without knowing anything about it.

Baboon has 17 empty slots and that's more than enough to switch from standard to XL engine.

It also has giant shoulders that would be focused on much like the Hunchback, and all of its three weapon mounts are exclusively on that right shoulder and they stick way the heck up like a giant billboard. The arms aren't even really in a useful spot to catch shots with torso twisting. One of the Jenner's main problems is that while it's not tall it's very wide, and the Baboon looks even wider still.

I would say that focusing on the shoulder of fast, light and small Baboon would be not so easy as focusing on the shoulder of medium Hunchback moving 80-90 km/h (after some upgrades) - not to talk about your heavy Catapult.

Yeah, one of my most played mechs is a SDR-5K so I'm well aware of that. But this does nothing that those mechs do that makes them fun. Lose the right shoulder or run out of ammo and the Baboon is a walking paperweight, so what exactly is fun to do with it once you lose all your offensive ability?

Lose the right shoulder of HBK-4G or HBK-4P and you are in almost the same situation (you would be left with one or two small or medium lasers or something like that). And yet, people are still taking these Hunchbacks.

#111 Wild Pegasus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:22 AM

Fine martian, I give up, you win. Obviously we need the Baboon because Clan players are all clamoring for a 20-ton light missile boat that is marginally more useful than a stock LCT-1M. Are you happy now?

#112 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

too late SCR already happened.

#113 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

None really.

If I had to pick something, I'd say LAMs. I'm not a fan of quads either, but I could live with that. LAMs are just too dumb.

#114 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

Ahh. Found it. I think Alex sketched this up? Impilicious.

Posted Image

#115 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 29 February 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

If I had to pick something, I'd say LAMs. I'm not a fan of quads either, but I could live with that. LAMs are just too dumb.

I would say that LAMs are not entirely suited for the type of combat that prevails in MWO currently. However, I can imagine LAMs being golden in certain Conquest games when mobility (with not so big firepower) and scouting would be more important than pure damage output.

#116 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 28 February 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I present the Imp. I can just imagine the designers their thought processes.

Guy 1: "Say everybody thinks that Atlas head is so scary right?"

Guy 2: "Right you are, super scary!"

Guy 1: "How about we make that really big, that would be even scarier right?"

Guy 2: "Righto man, awesomely scary, but how do you want to go about it?"

Guy 1: "Well see, we've got this scale model of a Union dropship here right...?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I rest my case. The base concept is so incredibly bad I can't even see Alex making it look anywhere near good.

I always thought of the Imp being a giant Urbie... I bet it could be really good.

P.S. I loathe anything Dark Age, especially industrial mechs.

#117 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

View Postjonfett, on 29 February 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

P.S. I loathe anything Dark Age, especially industrial mechs.

Those armed IndustrialMechs were typical only in a really limited timeframe and limited territory. If you don't have to use them in Dark Age games, you don't have to.

Many Dark Age units are interesting and often pretty good.

#118 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

View Postjonfett, on 29 February 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

I loathe anything Dark Age, especially industrial mechs.

Meh i do like a couple of DA designs like;

Well some of these are younger then the era but the minis is where ive come to know them.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cygnus
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jupiter
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Malice

#119 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

How about we both don gothic plate, you get a broadsword, I get my war axe, and see what happens? Posted Image ( hint: I already know the answer, which is why I ain't the one with the sword.)

Deadliest Warrior puts the lie to it:

Granted when the whole show was done, the simulator had it 51% to 49% Samurai. Which tells me that the better warrior always won, regardless of 'weapon advantages'.

And yes I chose the Samurai one because I know the Katana makes you hive.

But here, as in history,:

http://www.spike.com...night-vs-viking

The knight is coming out way ahead.

Edited by Lugh, 29 February 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#120 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

HERCS!

Keep your Earthseige out of my Battletech!

That goes for you too Wanzers!

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users