#81 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostValkyrie1968, on 23 March 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

I have joined the FRR TS Hub today but was unable to post a screen shot as I'm either doing it wrong or more likely I don't have the TS permissions to do

Guests are not permitted to edit channels because that could be abused by malicious griefers. Once a unit picks you up and tags you, you will be able to add your screenshot to the Stormtrooper channel. OR... just message anybody online, such as any [ISEN] member, and they can add the screenshot for you in the meantime. =]

#82 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

Or we can give him the [RKA] tag.

#83 Gh0streaver

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

I'll second Valkyrie's thoughts. I'm still learning a lot and trying to improve in CW, but I always felt there was a lack of synergy even when grouping up with known players.

It may seem boring to some to have a uniform drop deck, but I think it's awesome. Getting 12 people to work together with drop calling is awesome. Getting 12 to have to same mechs to blow people away in an instant? That's pro, and I'm a bit on the slightly hardcore side of gaming.

I will say, even though I hate the laser boats/vomit meta, I can tell with the trial BLR and AWS that they are brutally effective, 2 alphas and the CT is usually cored, so 3 alphas to kill. And I'm seeing more and more of these "white" knights, and they do look pretty slick. Like power rangers, but in a cool way. Stormtroopers is very fitting.

Hopefully when I get more cbills I'll join you guys.

quick question, why not more black knights/grasshoppers, since they seem to have more firepower and tankier. (imo, i don't know for sure as I don't own these, just looking at mech builds)

black knights being 75, so 3 comes to 225, which means 35 to spare, maybe a firestarter
or
grasshoppers being 70, so 3 comes to 210, which leaves 50 to spare, then you can bring a medium Blackjack

or is the mobility of the QKD going 81 and jets outweighing the others

#84 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostMechwarrior9420, on 25 March 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

quick question, why not more black knights/grasshoppers, since they seem to have more firepower and tankier. (imo, i don't know for sure as I don't own these, just looking at mech builds)

Yeah, you can take 2 grasshoppers or 2 black knights and 2 quickdraws. I wanted to focus on the quickdraws initially because of their weight utility; PGI often plays with dropdeck weights and I didn't want us to find our deck dead in the water a patch after this was announced (and if they lower it substantially we'll probably still be able to run at least 4 Quickdraws). And like you mentioned the speed of the Quickdraws allows us to do a lot of things in-match that wouldn't be possible or advisable with a slower deck.

Beyond that there has been some discussion about expanding the Stormtrooper deck. That could be as little as having a '2323' Variant, where we drop two Grasshoppers and two Quickdraws. Or even as extreme as a Super defensive variant 1 Mauler, 2 quickdraws, 1 BJ.. etc

There are lots of interesting and exciting places that we can go with this deck, and the RKA is chopping at the bit to release new variants - BUT we can't do it yet. The current Stormtrooper deck needs to be the mandatory foundation for future Stormtrooper decks. If we start just shooting out different versions now, it'll make it easier for people to ignore the original and just take some version that closely mimics what they are already running and the entire project unravels (imagine you try to do a Stormtrooper drop and one person only has the Mauler Defense Deck, another has 3 black knights and 1 BJ and another has only the 2 grasshoppers and 2 quickdraws only - we're now back to square one with pug-drop levels of synergy!).

Once we feel like the current foundational Stormtrooper deck has reached critical mass, we'll take it to the next level.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 25 March 2016 - 01:32 AM.

#85 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

Sir Mech the Dane. I have Three Quickdraws (4-IV, 5K and 4G), three Black Knights (6, 6B and 7) Along with the Steam Special Thunderbolt. With the Black Knights could i copy the BLK-6 build for the 6B and 7?

Or should i bring the 5K, 4G, BLK-6 and the Thunderbolt? as a "stormtrooper" drop deck

Edited by Lupis Volk, 25 March 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#86 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

i have a rifleman with 3lpl and 2ml, and i could configure another one to have 4ll, could that work as a stormtrooper?

#87 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostWindscape, on 25 March 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

i have a rifleman with 3lpl and 2ml, and i could configure another one to have 4ll, could that work as a stormtrooper?

No =P

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 March 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

Sir Mech the Dane. I have Three Quickdraws (4-IV, 5K and 4G), three Black Knights (6, 6B and 7) Along with the Steam Special Thunderbolt. With the Black Knights could i copy the BLK-6 build for the 6B and 7?

Or should i bring the 5K, 4G, BLK-6 and the Thunderbolt? as a "stormtrooper" drop deck

You can copy those builds on your other BLK's, the 7 and 6 are basically interchangeable.
For now your best bet would be to just run the 2xBLK's (6&7), and your two QKD's. If that isn't working out then you can try 1 BLK and 3 QKD's using the IV as the 4H (the IV is brawly). That's close enough that it'll be passable for Stormtrooper drops atm. If you have the money and inclination get the 4H though. It is surprising effective in a group, and until you have it you're not a fully Stomrtrooper!

Edited by Mech The Dane, 25 March 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#88 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

aww :P

#89 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 March 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

IV-4

What's the build on it? Most builds are much too slow to substitute for a QKD-4H. You'll want an XL285 or larger.

I'm thinking something along these lines: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e5813c1b9dea48

#90 Scurro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostWindscape, on 25 March 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

Don't worry I tried the same thing. He would not budge :c

I enjoy my rifleman.

#91 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 March 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

What's the build on it? Most builds are much too slow to substitute for a QKD-4H. You'll want an XL285 or larger.

I'm thinking something along these lines: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e5813c1b9dea48

more or less 2x aC5 and 2x SRM 6 with an XL engine.

#92 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

more or less 2x aC5 and 2x SRM 6 with an XL engine.

Like this? http://mwo.smurfy-ne...429945237d9ea25

I suppose it would work in a pinch. As long as you're going over 80kph.

Edited by Tarogato, 25 March 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#93 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

I have a question for the XL 330 builds and 350. I have a spare XL 325 and 340. Can i get away with using those and save several million Cbills?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 25 March 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#94 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

no thanx, following blueprints woud take a major portion of fun out of the game for me.
I mean, trying out stuff and see what works by yourself is exciting.isnt it?

#95 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

View Postshr84, on 25 March 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

no thanx, following blueprints woud take a major portion of fun out of the game for me.

Did you buy a car someone else made or did you invent your own and builds it from scratch?

Go nuts, do your own thing. Be absolutely clear though -

You will lose consistently to an equally skilled team using a synergy deck. Fun I'd fun and it's a game we play for fun. That's totally cool and legit.

Winning is fun too though and without question, demonstratively, a team with a coordinated synergy deck will beat a team of equal skill but a frankendeck the majority of the time.

So in a way it comes down to what's fun. Is doing what wins fun? Is being part of a team that coordinates, communicates and uses mutually supportive tools fun? If so it's a good idea. If you don't care about winning or getting good at the game but just want to experiment and play around then yeah. Probably not your thing.

It would be absolutely false however to say or assume that a good synergy deck is not flat out superior. It's why stock car racing has almost identical vehicles. Nobody is showing up in a 4-banger pinto with a big sound system. It would lose because the mechanics of what wins has already been worked out.

#96 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Let me ask you a very simple question, do you use Metamechs? Barring that, do you use 'standard' builds (IE: not the stock load out but stuff that's been accepted as good on certain mechs) This dropdeck is the same thing.

I used to be just like you, unwilling to take advice in video games/card games. Then I realized that other people who had more experience than me, had, with no benefit to themselves, shared knowledge and information on the internet. Don't think of it as a 'less creative' or even 'less fun' option. And I guess you could call it 'net decking' even but that's not a bad thing per-say. Think of it as drawing on the experiences of others to improve your own game. It's a learning process, and you can use that information when the time comes for you to create your own mechs/drop decks.

Edited by Starbomber109, 25 March 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#97 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 25 March 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

Let me ask you a very simple question, do you use Metamechs? Barring that, do you use 'standard' builds (IE: not the stock load out but stuff that's been accepted as good on certain mechs) This dropdeck is the same thing.

I used to be just like you, unwilling to take advice in video games/card games. Then I realized that other people who had more experience than me, had, with no benefit to themselves, shared knowledge and information on the internet. Don't think of it as a 'less creative' or even 'less fun' option. And I guess you could call it 'net decking' even but that's not a bad thing per-say. Think of it as drawing on the experiences of others to improve your own game. It's a learning process, and you can use that information when the time comes for you to create your own mechs/drop decks.

There's three kinds of people in this game.

1. the person that chooses to build mechs their own way because that's what they enjoy most - the exploration
2. the person who wants to build his mechs in the objectively best way to maximise his chances of success
(3. the person who has no idea what they're doing or completely doesn't understand that their builds are inferior)

If you're not a Type 2 kind of person, then the KungsArmé dropdecks probably aren't for you. =P

#98 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 March 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

..then the KungsArmé dropdecks probably aren't for you. =P

That and he's a Steiner.

#99 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 25 March 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

That and he's a Steiner.

Sir would i be able to get away with using slightly smaller XL engines for the Black Knight and QuickDraw?

#100 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 March 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

Sir would i be able to get away with using slightly smaller XL engines for the Black Knight and QuickDraw?

Oops, sorry. Those 'mechs will do better in bigger engines. Run what you got for now and when you get the chance upgrade the engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users