Archer Quirks: Underwhelming To Outright Puzzling?

283 replies to this topic

#41 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

THE ONE Mech chassis I thought for sure would get LRM-20 specific quirks got bupkis! Guess it was too much to hope for some LRM-20 Spread quirk love. Well whatever, I'm still gonna run them as support Mechs regardless... I already have plenty of other Mechs that fill Brawler / Skirmisher roles.

#42 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 10 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

What gets me is the LRM buffs on a Mech with 3x SRM 6 on it as stock weapons. wtf?

Was hoping for generic missile quirks, like cool down and range, so that players could choose their builds and play a number of different strategies on each mech, be it LRM or SRM or even Streak2s, not try to be shoe-horned into a build by PGI.

#43 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 10 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

What gets me is the LRM buffs on a Mech with 3x SRM 6 on it as stock weapons. wtf?

That's not the stock loadout though is it? Pretty sure the screenshot was of a modified loadout. Purposely or accidentally, who knows?

#44 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 10 March 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Was hoping for generic missile quirks, like cool down and range, so that players could choose their builds and play a number of different strategies on each mech, be it LRM or SRM or even Streak2s, not try to be shoe-horned into a build by PGI.

The irony, of course, is that quirks were originally intended to either improve subpar chassis or allow one to effectively use a mechs stock loadout with minimal change. This system has grown quite monstrous, eh?

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 10 March 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

That's not the stock loadout though is it? Pretty sure the screenshot was of a modified loadout. Purposely or accidentally, who knows?

Accidentally. Russ is aware of it and looking into it. Just a play build screen grab that slipped past QA in the haste to get the quirks posted, apparently.

View Postcazidin, on 10 March 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

The irony, of course, is that quirks were originally intended to either improve subpar chassis or allow one to effectively use a mechs stock loadout with minimal change. This system has grown quite monstrous, eh?

Sad but true.

I would kill to explode quirks, and reset it to literally only being used on mechs where it's MANDATORY to fix something like geometry enforced bad hitboxes, etc. and then to a much lesser extent, for flavor on the occasional unit that had it, or needed it.

View PostGrey Ghost, on 10 March 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

THE ONE Mech chassis I thought for sure would get LRM-20 specific quirks got bupkis! Guess it was too much to hope for some LRM-20 Spread quirk love. Well whatever, I'm still gonna run them as support Mechs regardless... I already have plenty of other Mechs that fill Brawler / Skirmisher roles.

Yup.

#46 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:36 PM

Does every mech need to come out with massive quirks? Whats the reason for acc/dec quirks?

Why aren't IS mech more expensive now since they have quirks to make them supposely equal to clan mechs, yet clan mechs still have a huge C-bill cost compared to there IS counterparts.

Weapons have been nerfed, things are supposely equal but now we have people like you whinging about quirks. There becoming pay to win for certain now these days

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 10 March 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

Does every mech need to come out with massive quirks? Whats the reason for acc/dec quirks?

Why aren't IS mech more expensive now since they have quirks to make them supposely equal to clan mechs, yet clan mechs still have a huge C-bill cost compared to there IS counterparts.

Weapons have been nerfed, things are supposely equal but now we have people like you whinging about quirks. There becoming pay to win for certain now these days

Wow, way to not read the OP.

*golf clap*

Would love to know where I said a damn thing about buffing the quirks? I did say that it seems odd to see more focus on energy quirks on a missile mech, but what the heck, what the hey.

*smh*

View PostGrey Ghost, on 10 March 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

Confirmed. Quirks correct, loadout shown, not. Russ says, atm, refer to Archer Sales page for correct stock loadout. Simple QA error.

#48 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 10 March 2016 - 08:36 PM, said:

Yes, actually, quirks are an elegant way to compensate for the recent skill tree nerf. We get to keep our beloved agility, and PGI closes the gap a bit between basiced and elited mechs. Durability quirks help the IS against the Clan's superior firepower. What would be better? If the most general, most common quirks were made baseline.

#49 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 10 March 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

Haven't noticed anything major for the marauders at least at release and to be quite frank I just looked over the war hammer (if it has 50% quirks I find it funny there isn't much more warhammers in the cue... )

It's the WHM-6R. 50% is for PPC velocity. Even then, a lot of ppl will swap it out for LLs or LPLs for ease of use. Let's just say without massive quirks, PPCs just wouldn't get used which is fine if PGI want to make PPCs more specialized for individual chassis rather than as a generic one like LPLs.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostSQW, on 10 March 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

It's the WHM-6R. 50% is for PPC velocity. Even then, a lot of ppl will swap it out for LLs or LPLs for ease of use. Let's just say without massive quirks, PPCs just wouldn't get used which is fine if PGI want to make PPCs more specialized for individual chassis rather than as a generic one like LPLs.

which mind you, points to the weapon itself needing a fix. We get that and most agree. But we don't live in that world, we live in the world where quirks are the bandaid to fix everything Paul had tried to give the death of a 1000 papercuts to. (this is not actually at you, but Nightshade's comment)

#51 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

Darn. Someone beat me to the forum post and thread creation again. *Shakes Fist*

All honesty I know I am coming into this conversation a little late, but I was surprised at how underwhelming the archer quirks were. They are reasonable and aren't game breaking, but the LRM specific quirks on some of the variants are just odd. Not because they are for the LRM but because they are so ultimately minimal that they should have just been universal missile quirks.

#52 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

I hadn't noticed before either; apparently symmetrical missile bays = AMS slot (ie 3 Missile + 1 AMS = 4?)

#53 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

View Postcazidin, on 10 March 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

Yes, actually, quirks are an elegant way to compensate for the recent skill tree nerf. We get to keep our beloved agility, and PGI closes the gap a bit between basiced and elited mechs. Durability quirks help the IS against the Clan's superior firepower. What would be better? If the most general, most common quirks were made baseline.

For all the talk of BJ's uber quirks, you didn't really see many pre-patch and you still the same number being dropped post patch. There were some massive outcry over Atlas structural quirks but they still die like any other mech. Only the min/maxers will whine over a few pts here and there.

Heck, NOBODY realized the acceleration and turn quirks weren't on since forever. If PGI actually did a experiment and just give a mech massive quirk but not actually list it correctly, the community wouldn't even notice.

People love to count numbers. "+12 is infinitely better than +8. We need +8 buffed for balance™!" Then we have pilots marching out in the open and get ganged up by 5 other mechs where even a +50 quirk wouldn't matter.

#54 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

I noticed.
I whined.
I was ignored.
I shut upped.
I demand equality for Lurm boat pilots.

#55 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

View PostSQW, on 10 March 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Heck, NOBODY realized the acceleration and turn quirks weren't on since forever.\

By forever, you mean the rebalance, when the skill tree nerfs also went through?

#56 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 10 March 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

I noticed.
I whined.
I was ignored.
I shut upped.
I demand equality for Lurm boat pilots.

LRM 2 Play, bruh. Posted Image

#57 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

I was really hoping for some rather significant generic missile quirks. Yet, almost the only missile quirks are tiny little LRM-specific ones.

#58 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

So do those weapon doors count as side torso when opened? Because that would make the ST massive!

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 10 March 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

I was really hoping for some rather significant generic missile quirks. Yet, almost the only missile quirks are tiny little LRM-specific ones.

I'm actually OK with tiny and even LRM specific (at least on the 2R and Tempest. Some thought should have been given the SRMs on the 5S and 5W I reckon, though SRMs are pretty potent, IMO, at the moment).

I just don't see why any beside MAYBE the Tempest (wand only then based on the actual hardpoint, not the stock loadout, which is what Quirks shoudl be based on) would realistically have ANY energy weapon quirks. As I said, the ARC-2K? Sure, it's 2x LRM15, 2x LLasers. I could see it, or the 5K update getting it. But neither model is in the pack.

As for me, I'd rather see the quirks put toward the archer's SECONDARY weapon systems, used to enhance the primary, not by cooldown or heat gen, but with tighter LRM patterns, etc. Or failing that, go toward structure/Agility.

Part of this is my frustration of seeing things like the frigging anti infantry machine guns on the WHM-6R which aren't a Primary, Secondary or even Tertiary weapon system get quirked. If a mech get's offensive quirks at ALL, it should be solely for their primary/signature weapon systems, unless the lore text gives a reason to do otherwise.

View PostJman5, on 10 March 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

So do those weapon doors count as side torso when opened? Because that would make the ST massive!

According to Russ, no.

Destructible doors with some form of health pool. Whether they give the traditional 10% damage reduction, or do as I had suggested, act as extra armor until destroyed, or something totally different, is unknown atm.

I know when it first came up, and Russ said they would be their own destructible doors, not counted against the ST; I had thrown out the idea that they act as an Armor Quirk, with +(insert number here) Health, and once depleted, bang, blow off. I liked this because it also meant that if shot from the sides, or while open, it didn't act as extra armor, unless, you specifically shot the door.

What we are getting? Closely guarded secret, maybe it will be revealed in the countdown?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 March 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#60 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

Lasers or bust. pewpewpew. Archer needs laser quirks to be more saleable. Tryhards demand "muh LPL" quirks.

I am not to worried about it either way. Without any kind of stupid uberquirks, my loadouts will 9/10 come down to how the chassis handles itself at different ranges and situations, and then I will weaponize for what it does best at.

There is a point about a missed opportunity to reinforce lore based weaponry for the Archer. I do not think we would need quirks to make the Archer viable in a traditional type loadout, but IMO it still would be nice to have some basic quirks to reinforce it and guide people that are not familiar with the mech as much towards it's roots.

TL;DR- meh doesn;t matter, BUT would be nice if the quirks fit the mech's background a bit more for flavor reasons.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users