653 replies to this topic

#541 Tavious Grimm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 255 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

Bout the only time I ever use an LRM boat is defense on Boreal. Stalker 3H 4 LRM10 w/Artemis. About 2100 missiles. I've been very successful and have gotten my *** handed to me. Just depends on who the opponent is and who I'm dropping with. Usually SRMx or COMA both know my play style and know I'll do my damnedest to empty those tubes. I usually average 700-1000 with it. LRMS have value in FW, just gotta know when to bring them.

#542 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

Bring a BLR 1C with pulse lasers for the same 85 tons, do the same damage with more precision while sharing armor.

#543 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

Nothing new to see here...move along....

#544 Tavious Grimm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 255 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

Would love to, I don't own any. I recently swapped out my Stalker for an 80 ton Zeus with 3 ERLL.

#545 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Oh good, I was worried this thread wouldn't get necro'd....

...again

#546 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:21 AM

Some quotes I saw from last weeks FP event:

"Shoot that locust's legs" - pilot of an LRM Hunchback-2C giving pointer to a brawling ACH. The LRM Hunch2C pilot took him 10 secs to kill an already cherry red CT enemy Hunchback...with lurms.

"Why an Ice Ferret?" - anxiously asked by a pilot of an LRM Shadowcat during a scouting drop/

"This is my worst game so far" - pilot of an LRM Atlas attacking @ Hellebore vs CJF defenders pushing out Beta gate

"This team is so stupid!" - whined the LRM Orion (in All Chat) while undergoing through the ordeals of getting babyseal clubbed in Emerald Taiga.

Doesn't matter how good you "market" your so-called Combined Arms Warfare/supression mastery/AMS hunting expertise nor the claim how good you are in LRMS in a sense that you become a liability to their teammates. Good for you. Congrats. But still the reality remain that 99.5% of the lurming population will be murder deathballed in CW/FP. So to the 0.5% very good lurming pilots; please do encourage them to continue bringing LRM in CW/FP. We (direct fire players) really don't mind as long they (the lurmers) don't mind getting farmed to their dropzone.

Edited by Jumping Gigolo, 16 September 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#547 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:57 AM

So to conclude this thread.... yup LRM wins. Necro'ed for success :)

#548 Burt0n

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

I remember that game with the hunchy Gigolo, Funny stuff.

#549 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

View Post2fast2stompy, on 01 May 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Streaks are less efficient at killing than LRMs.
Less DPS that spreads over more components.

The only thing streaks are good at is killing lights, they're not any more viable than LRMs.

Clearly you don't know anything about focus fire.

#550 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 16 September 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Clearly you don't know anything about focus fire.

True, if you have platoon of mechs all boating steaks you could focus fire on a single, but there is still little to guarantee that you'll actually take that target off the field (which seemed to be Zito's mantra if I remember). This is why certain players could rocket to the top of the FP leaderboards, they did mountains of damage, but a lot of it was superfluous. KMDD is a good metric save for one fact: it can't distiguish between quality damage and "fluff" damage.

Besides focusing fire sounds like teamwork, and nobody here has a problem with that... ...I think?

#551 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

Eh I will bring what I want to FW. I probably help the team more in an LRM boat than 2/3 of the other players in whatever they bring. But he we need threads like this necroed.

View PostJumping Gigolo, on 16 September 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

Some quotes I saw from last weeks FP event:

"Shoot that locust's legs" - pilot of an LRM Hunchback-2C giving pointer to a brawling ACH. The LRM Hunch2C pilot took him 10 secs to kill an already cherry red CT enemy Hunchback...with lurms.

"Why an Ice Ferret?" - anxiously asked by a pilot of an LRM Shadowcat during a scouting drop/

"This is my worst game so far" - pilot of an LRM Atlas attacking @ Hellebore vs CJF defenders pushing out Beta gate

"This team is so stupid!" - whined the LRM Orion (in All Chat) while undergoing through the ordeals of getting babyseal clubbed in Emerald Taiga.

Doesn't matter how good you "market" your so-called Combined Arms Warfare/supression mastery/AMS hunting expertise nor the claim how good you are in LRMS in a sense that you become a liability to their teammates. Good for you. Congrats. But still the reality remain that 99.5% of the lurming population will be murder deathballed in CW/FP. So to the 0.5% very good lurming pilots; please do encourage them to continue bringing LRM in CW/FP. We (direct fire players) really don't mind as long they (the lurmers) don't mind getting farmed to their dropzone.

I was the pilot in the LRM boat, and it was my worst game so far, but that had nothing to do with LRMs and everything to do with my own being impatient and greedy in the face of a team that made me push as the LRM boat, because no one else would. To add to that O took four LPLS in the back and got cored by a teammate from behind. Please don't take quotes out of context when you have no ******* clue what was going through the person's head you were quoting. Making **** up to support what ever BS point you want to get across is not the way to enhance your credibility. Thank you.

Edited by crashlogic, 16 September 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#552 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:22 AM

View Postcrashlogic, on 16 September 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

Eh I will bring what I want to FW. I probably help the team more in an LRM boat than 2/3 of the other players in whatever they bring. But he we need threads like this necroed.

Yes bring LRM please no one is stopping you. Moarr lurms please as much as you like.

I was the pilot in the LRM boat, and it was my worst game so far, but that had nothing to do with LRMs and everything to do with my own being impatient and greedy in the face of a team that made me push as the LRM boat, because no one else would. To add to that O took four LPLS in the back and got cored by a teammate from behind. Please don't take quotes out of context when you have no ******* clue what was going through the person's head you were quoting. Making **** up to support what ever BS point you want to get across is not the way to enhance your credibility. Thank you.

Wait there's more, just from yesterday's farming spree:

"My f*king team are full of cowards!" whined the LRM hybrid jagermech pilot (from Steiner) coz they got stuck at Beta Gate of Sulfurous Rift.

"Guys push out" - says the LRM Maddog who stayed in Beta gate while the rest of our team press forward toward D7 spawn of Emerald Taiga. We won the match (of course) and that guy was in his 2nd mech while everyone is either on his 3rd or last mech.

"Form a firing line and focus fire" - says the LRM Highlander-IIC from 600 meters away from the main group.

"Warhammer CT crit!" - says the drop caller in an LRM Maddog.

Funny those who whine alot ingame are mostly lurmers (who cannot even score 800 damage). They should just keep quiet and let us (the pug stomping direct fire people) feed on those lurm pugs till the score reaches 48.

Edited by Jumping Gigolo, 17 September 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#553 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

(May as well stir the pot)

Pulled out 1800 damage 6 kills and 10 KMDD from a triple MDD LRM deck this morning.....

.....we lost horribly (something like 48 -23) but **I** was a shooperstar :P

Then two matches later pulled 3200 in a DAKKAdeck, so yeah LRM's can be useful but direct fire trumps them in capable hands. Not saying I'm capable but if I have my MDD your gonna feel the pitter patter of CLRM5's over and over and over and...well you get the point.

#554 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostJumping Gigolo, on 17 September 2016 - 04:22 AM, said:

Yes bring LRM please no one is stopping you. Moarr lurms please as much as you like.

Wait there's more, just from yesterday's farming spree:

"My f*king team are full of cowards!" whined the LRM hybrid jagermech pilot (from Steiner) coz they got stuck at Beta Gate of Sulfurous Rift.

"Guys push out" - says the LRM Maddog who stayed in Beta gate while the rest of our team press forward toward D7 spawn of Emerald Taiga. We won the match (of course) and that guy was in his 2nd mech while everyone is either on his 3rd or last mech.

"Form a firing line and focus fire" - says the LRM Highlander-IIC from 600 meters away from the main group.

"Warhammer CT crit!" - says the drop caller in an LRM Maddog.

Funny those who whine alot ingame are mostly lurmers (who cannot even score 800 damage). They should just keep quiet and let us (the pug stomping direct fire people) feed on those lurm pugs till the score reaches 48.

Look I don't give a flying **** what you think about LRMS, it has no bearing on what I do. But I do want to make sure the forum knows you were taking my quote entirely out of context to make what ever point you are trying to make. Since you are full of BS when you quote me, I am suspicious about the veracity of anything you say.

#555 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

...and this is why we can't have nice things...and this thread will never die...

#556 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

I really wish that LRMs. actually were good. Running LRMs in a serious match against a good team. Beating them with LRMs would be like tea bagging them in front of their family. Winning a good division and rocking LRMs would be a raised middle finger to everyone you beat.

Unfortunately that never happens because there's no team that's so good they can still beat comparable teams with LRMs in their deck, because LRMs are objectively inferior to direct fire. Yes, you can beat bad teams with LRMS-AND would have with DF too.

However there's no examples of competitive play, as in good v good teams, consistently winning with LRMS.

Because LRMs are bad.

#557 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 10 May 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

the real issue is not the LRMs, its the boating, having one LRM launcher can be practical like any other weapon.

Agreed, If you choose to add LRMs to a scout mech, limit your build to one launcher (5 or 10 at most), and no more than one ton of ammo. DO NOT boat them. Scouts should be optimized for medium/short range engagements, as scouting missions ALWAYS turn into knife fights once contact is made. the only viable uses for LRMs in scouting are as a means to soften an opponent at range before they get into their optimal range, or as a means to support a team mate with indirect fire if you are otherwise in no position to fire directly on their target. For this purpose you don't need more than one launcher.

Edited by Vanguard319, 17 September 2016 - 03:08 PM.

#558 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

B-b-b-but my 6xlrm5 jenny IIc is just so much FUN! ;)

#559 Arkaiko

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 May 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Yes and no to this topic. If you play LRMs by hanging far back behind your team and spamming them at random targets using locks from friendlies during a brawl you are a waste of tonnage. There will be obstructions such as buildings, Hills and friendly mechs stopping you dealing damage to the enemy, the teammates are fighting against a larger enemy number because you are not using your own armour for the team effort. In short, you are a waste of tonnage, space and manpower to the team (the same can be said for extreme range snipers imo) If you play LRMs offensively, pushing together with your team getting your own locks (using NARC, BAP, Tag UAV and shooting blind if you have no other choice), then feel free to bring as many LRMs as you want. They have an effective range of 180m+, that means if you are standing 150 meters behind your team in plain view of everyone, you can see where your LRMs are hitting, stop shooting when the target is behind cover (by changing to a better target) and you can be targeted by the enemy yourself, which in turn means the rest of your team are taking less damage and your whole team survives longer to deal more damage.

so true, i got 2 lrm boats, but i go forward with the team, i think is the only way to play lrms.
1- u r never alone, so u r not afraid of light ambush
2- your own locks are the better locks
3- u always hit
and i never, NEVER got an lrm mech who is just a lrm mech, at least 3 or 4 close range weapons, 2ml+1srm6, or 4ml, or 2ml+2srm6, idk, but if u wanna be an "just lrm" u suck (in my opinion)

#560 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

don't forget the part where you sand paper off all the armor on enemy mechs so you can pad your damage numbers and blame other people for coming in and stealing your kills.Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users