Feedback Viridian Bog

145 replies to this topic

#101 OtterSnow

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

One feature no one else has mentioned that I can find that is the 3rd tall mesa that is on the north end of 2 spawn point that can be climbed up and gives a good field of view for shooting mechs at the top of the central mesas. The bad part of being there is that the stairs on the north side of that particular mesa making it easy for the other team to send someone after you, just a single tree for cover, and not well known because the stair are half-hidden. This spot has potential but is badly positioned when the 2 spawners usually go south because there isn't enough tactical advantage for going north normally.

#102 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

Everyone else has already pretty much covered anything I'd say about the Bog, except . . . the scale of the plants. WAAAY too big, speaking of a low-gravity environment. Especially the lily pad things. Those things are taller than any 'mech and yet look like reeds with umbrellas on top of them. Otherwise, I like the Bog.

#103 Mr Inconsistent

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

Aesthetics ok
Bog monster sound effects add some ambience

Dislikes:
Movement in traversing the stairs
A lot of the map isn't utilised except in chasing down the last lights at the end of a conquest or assault game
Vegetation overscale

Requests:
More ambient swamp noises - eg, insects/frogs/etc to increase immersion (this applies to all maps)
Rain mode - it's a wet planet/location, where are the weather effects?
Skirmish game mode appropriate - could not see a base being built on this map. Think it should be a skirmish only as other game modes don't make sense.

#104 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

One thing I would do with the map is make the "lower bog" be part more of the center rather than off to the side. The nice foliage covering the lower bog is cool, and make using Heat vision more important for this map. Maybe add a rise in the middle of "lowered" bog - in the center.

Another thing (especially noticable on Domination) is one side has the ramps up to the two main rises. Thus one side always has to move around to enemy side just to easily climb - unless you have jump jets.

#105 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostSyrkres, on 20 June 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

[...]Another thing (especially noticable on Domination) is one side has the ramps up to the two main rises. Thus one side always has to move around to enemy side just to easily climb - unless you have jump jets.

Even with JJs, you need several of them (depending on the mech capability) to make it up.

#106 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi Steven,

Great to see this sort of feedback being looked at.

What I like
The map has a lot of little alleys and paths to skirmish around and take different angles.
The different layers of the map have a different feeling.
  • The lower swap is very foggy and you fight under the giant lillies, but it's very open.
  • The middle section has a lot of obstructions and plateaus to move around creating different angles. It's a bit easier to spot enemies but the sight lanes are shorter.
  • On top of the plateaus you have great visibility but very limited cover and limited areas of movement.
The map plays like a city map but the changes in elevation are more noticeable and really provide different fighting environments suitable for different mechs.

What I dislike
As has been stated by the above posts there are 2 or 3 main points that could be addressed.
  • The collision with vegetation was improved in an earlier patch but could be reviewed a bit further as could the 'steps' to change elevation.
  • Aside from Conquest mode, the lower swamp area is rarely used and it's quite an interesting and different area of the map.
  • The Central plateaus, like any other map, is the typical area where conflict occurs and could use a bit more diversity.
One thought I would like to put out there with the design is to split the map using the lower swap area and put the two large plateaus on opposite sides.
To try and elaborate on that with out an actual graphical map:
If one team spawns in the north with the other in the south, instead of the lower swamp area running north/south on the western side of the map, it instead cuts through the middle running east west making it a barrier that needs to be crossed and separating the two plateaus.
With a few tunnels and natural bridges, plenty of cover a few flanking options on the east and west side I feel that might do the trick.

#107 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

The only thing I can say that is good about the map is that is now really looking and acting like a bog, as the name implies.
The bad thing - all of that detail plays hell on a lot of people, causing severe lag on all servers.

#108 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

I could see a slight increase in the size of the map to give a little bit more room to manover. Now I know that some people don't like all the vegetation, however that's part of what makes this map challenging. The map could benefit from having day/night effects for something different, as well as having random times of heavier fog. The difficulty in sight means that you limit snipers!

This is a brawlers map, one that allows you to walk up on someone with an AC 20 and say Hello in an unpleasant sort or way.

#109 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

We need the original fog back.

#110 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

View Posttesthero, on 18 June 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

No dominant play style.
-There are equal opportunities for the map to be a long range snipe fest as it can be a brawling map. there are a multitude of things that work on the map.Even heavy LRM play that comes down to how both sides maneuver and play rather than simply what they brought to the field.

actually sniping is very hard on this map. all the leaves, the impossibility to climb. the big mountain clutter and all the cover. sniping is a no go. sniping on this map is useless and that should be fixed. ASAP.
that is one of the reasons i ask for more medium elevation instead of just high and low with huge dropoffs in height.
right now only jumpjet mechs can shoot er weapons, and advanced zoom is useless on bog.

View Posttesthero, on 18 June 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

-The scale seems off. The map makes me feel like an infantryman; there's nothing at all to suggest I'm in a towering Battlemech. There's nothing 'human scale' on the map at all.

agreed. this is a huge problem for me. a tree that makes my mech feel tiny. not even smaller vegetation is scaled truly small. there's nothing small except very thin trees that you can knock over.
some human sized bushes and cactuses would go a long way here. and making the big trees less horrible looking.
they really look like crap...

and that godzilla sized insect makes no sense either. a creature that big would be crushed under it's own weight. and if it didn't because the gravity on this planet is different then make jumpjets jump higher and lurms curve more and travel faster,
or don't bother because it really breaks the immersion and looks silly. just plain dumb

View PostOtterSnow, on 18 June 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

One feature no one else has mentioned that I can find that is the 3rd tall mesa that is on the north end of 2 spawn point that can be climbed up and gives a good field of view for shooting mechs at the top of the central mesas. The bad part of being there is that the stairs on the north side of that particular mesa making it easy for the other team to send someone after you, just a single tree for cover, and not well known because the stair are half-hidden. This spot has potential but is badly positioned when the 2 spawners usually go south because there isn't enough tactical advantage for going north normally.

very easy to get flanked and sniping from there doesn't really put you "in the fight" because you have no view of the middle of the map.
only of that 1/3rd of the map where the enemy might be nascaring or may have mechs climbing on the big cliff

besides the vegetation makes leading shots very difficult and bad and you end up relying on the targetting box to make your shots... that's just sad

#111 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:05 AM

less plateus with stairs and more plateus of different altitude. why? to promote jump jets for all kind of mechs for more diversity. keep a few stairs, but make the majority of the high ground exclusive to JJ usage

#112 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:37 AM

Should look something like this with lower swamp area (in middle) just covered in lillys.
No other cover - otherwise it will turn into Nascar.

EDIT: Maybe some cover in the lower area, but along the edges (not center).

Posted Image

Edited by Syrkres, 27 June 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#113 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

My main feedback for the map -is that the mesas are too tall. I don't mind that there is limited to No access for non-jump jet mechs - what I don't like is the idea that these platforms are triple-level high cliffs, and you have to back into the open by several hundred meters and become incredibly vulnerable just to get a shot at anyone on top of them - or hang over the edge to shoot down. Either lower the level, or slope the edges for more uphill and downhill shooting. We end up racing Nascar around the main island bases a lot and doing suicide dives off the top because there are no good ways to skirmish in-between. If you feel lowering the platforms makes lights more vulnerable, fine - then add a couple more trees on top for protection.

The map is tricky as hell because of the endless sniping possibilities. It's fun and frustrating at the same time.

I do like the idea of tweaking the hitboxes on the environmental elements because 'hangups' and mysterious deflections are still common. A hunk of moss on a corner island edge is cannon-proof, yet hiding behind a curtain of it alongside a cliff wall does nothing for protection. Environmentally it should be the same.

A tunnel under/through the waterfalls as a 'bypass' for getting around the center island skirmishes would definitely change the dynamic of the game.

#114 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

The bog is one of my top 3 favorit maps.....its got high..low..lower...plenty of cover...AND its not crazy huge map....only thing i could see improving this map is maybe changing the steps..(as they are crazy hard for assault mechs to climb...and perhaps a slight increase to size....The messa are great and work as a 2 way street...you may have to back up to shoot up top...but hugging the cliff means they cant shoot down..works great. the bog is a really good map and i wouldnt want to much done to it that could potentialy ruin it for those of us who really like it.

Edited by SplashDown, 25 June 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#115 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:49 AM

what I like:
-Elevation differences
-Theme and cover of the map

what I don't like:
-Lack of cover/tight area in lower elevation
-Both ramps to upper platforms in center
-Lack of platform access in other parts of the map
-Random dead-end in G3.

#116 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

What i like:
-How visually cluttered it is. It does feel like a swamp and there's a lot of visual cover, limiting vision,
-High degree of verticality of the map
-Map's aesthetic design.
-The lack of day-night cycle (because i really don't like the over-exaggerated time of day change, it should be static)

What i don't like:
-Getting stuck everywhere (but it's a swamp, so i don't know?)
-Clunkiness of trying to use the "steps" to get up on the platform

We also need GIANT AI CONTROLLED WORMY THINGS THAT TRY TO KILL US and quadruped mechs. They'd fit in well in the swamp environment.

I'd also add some... Structures maybe? To help made the map look in-scale with the mechs. An example would be a large city ruins, half-sunk into the muck, covered in moss and sh*t. I think that'd be cool.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 26 June 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#117 Major Tomm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWolf 359

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

Too much ground clutter everywhere. Should behave more like barriers and traps rather than just everywhere you step.

#118 zachyattacky

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMn

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

Make bog bigger! That way you could utilize the rest of the map without getting stuck in the lower swamp with no where to go.

#119 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

the bog, I really don't like that map

#120 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike