Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

Viridian Bog:

Good:
- initial sense of exploration
- variation from other maps
- specials like the Atlas and bog creature

Bad:
- to small, it could at least appear larger
- stair climbing is problematic and the route up even if not direct is not clear

Suggestion:
- There could be an out of bounds area on the map representing soft ground that if not crossed quick enough would render the mechs end of match.

Its a good map. Its ok that not all maps play the same or some have their own characteristics to learn. If players want more simple maps then Solaris is the place for that. These maps represent the Battletech Universe....

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 May 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#62 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

The bog

Map is green all the Mechs are green I use heat vision 100% of the time

I get stuck almost every drop (yeah even after the fix I still get stuck)

My vision is not all that great so I hate the bog

#63 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Good:

If more of the map was used the size would be pretty good as a standard for cramped maps.

Many people aren't going to like having to shoot through a canopy of leaves at targets at different elevations, but I like that feature a lot.

Bad:

Some hit boxes are ridiculous. See here for egregious example https://www.twitch.t...353?t=06h35m25s

The "stairs" up to the mounds need help.

There is a pit next to one of the stairs that is easy to get into but wll eat your mech if you don't have JJ to get out of it.

#64 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Veridian Bog - Not really my favorite map but.....

What I like: The overall size. About right, not too small and not too big. It is visually quite different than the others (veriaty - I'd like to see maps that look like different places on different worlds).

What I don't like: Mobility issues. Stairs to several pillars too large, hard to walk up and easy to get stuck. There are two spot (one in the "North" and other "NE-ish" where you can accidentally fall off to a lower level fairly easily (not a lot of visual reference to there being an edge) and then you are stuck with JJs as the only way up is always far away. They need more ramps, trails, stairs or whatever. Finally, places too small for a large mech to pass through should obviously be too small. Don't put trees next to rocks at just about the width of a mech. Widen it out or close it in. I wouldn't mind if one or two sections of dead giant monster shell got removed as well. Obviously the hidden things that grab and trap your mech need to be searched out and removed.

By the way - don't waste a lot of time working on color gradients for the flora or different kinds of trees.I always play that one on heat vision so I can more easily tell when I hopefully have clear LOS to an enemy and maybe help frame rate a few clicks. Many people I know do the same.

#65 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

What i like.
Medium to short range weapons dominate this map but once JJ's come into the picture anything goes. A versatile map few can complain about.
The spacing between the plateaus is good too. Good for jumping across gaps.

What i dislike.
The plateaus are a bit too tall. Only mechs with enough JJ's can get on top. More plateaus should be accessible without JJ's.
The lack of cover in the low route in the water from F4 to D6. Opening up sector E5-F5-E6 would help a lot even if it was similar to the rest of the map.
Upper part of E6 could use a bit of cover. The deadend at G3 has no purpose.

Suggestion
Many complain of fog whenever you put it on maps. I don't. I wish there was a random possibility for the fog to thicken and lessen throughout a match in Viridian Bog so we can suddenly have very limited view/sensorrange.
This would encourage longrange focused mechs to bring at least some short range backup weapons.
It could also be something to think about on winter and desert maps because of snow and sandstorms.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 27 May 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#66 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

So I may be alone in quite a few of these opinions here, but you asked:

Like:
1. It's a swamp. For anybody who has tried to travel through a swamp, it's very hard to do. Even for mechs. Keep the snags, branches and rocks. Maybe we should ask why are we fighting over a godforsaken swamp instead of making it the mining collective in terms of smoothness!

2. The swamp critters. I've shot those worm things a lot of times because they startled me. Would be really cool if they were destructible (i.e. dead bugs)

3. Colors, multi level terrain, able to jump from mesa to mesa, the limited amount of destructible terrain (still needs more!). Lots has already been said on this.

4. Jumpjet access only places that are useful for you and your team. Makes jumping lights more valuable.

5. Cover is pretty easy to find if needed.

Dislike:
1. Thermal vision works too well here. Hot steamy swamp air and trees should reduce effectiveness of thermal vision.

2. Lillypad area goes largely unused and is an absolute deathtrap in conquest. Perhaps move Theta to somewhere else on conquest, spread points more to the corners of the map.

3. Reduction of fog quantity since when the map originally dropped. I know I'm in the minority, but I think a time of day feature to increase and decrease the fog as a match progresses would be awesome. The original map was spooky, but then everyone figured out that thermal cut it and everyone played in thermal. If you couple the reduction in thermal effectiveness and added more fog, this could be pretty cool and make it a spooky map again.

4. Sometimes you can still get your mech completely stuck, especially if its a big mech. It's better than it was.

5. Corners of the map are very rarely used, but offer some very interesting places to fight. All of F and G lines could be removed today and nobody would notice.

6. Steps. Why is it I can climb the steps in my marauder at full speed, but I can't when I'm going slow? I don't have an issue with needing to zig-zag, but make it more consistent on the path required to climb.

7. Dogbone-ish shape map. If E5 and F5 was opened up, this could significantly change the play

8. Unfair spawn access to C4-D4 hill. Move the Reds to D2, or move the blues to D6-E6. The latter would be more interesting, especially if E5-F5 is opened up.

Additional feature potential

1. Standing in the waterfall should give your mech an overall cooling bonus, similar to standing in water but count it for all heatsinks.

#67 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

Oh ****, didnt see the Bog tag.

I kind of like it the way it is, just needs some minor tweaking, lets not spend too much time on one of the already new maps.

Gigantic Hollowed out tree in the middle to replace middle hill. Maybe an ewok tree scenario. And a couple trenches in the open ground.

Bam, done.

#68 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 27 May 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

So I may be alone in quite a few of these opinions here, but you asked:

Like:
1. It's a swamp. For anybody who has tried to travel through a swamp, it's very hard to do. Even for mechs. Keep the snags, branches and rocks. Maybe we should ask why are we fighting over a godforsaken swamp instead of making it the mining collective in terms of smoothness!

2. The swamp critters. I've shot those worm things a lot of times because they startled me. Would be really cool if they were destructible (i.e. dead bugs)

3. Colors, multi level terrain, able to jump from mesa to mesa, the limited amount of destructible terrain (still needs more!). Lots has already been said on this.

4. Jumpjet access only places that are useful for you and your team. Makes jumping lights more valuable.

5. Cover is pretty easy to find if needed.

Dislike:
1. Thermal vision works too well here. Hot steamy swamp air and trees should reduce effectiveness of thermal vision.

2. Lillypad area goes largely unused and is an absolute deathtrap in conquest. Perhaps move Theta to somewhere else on conquest, spread points more to the corners of the map.

3. Reduction of fog quantity since when the map originally dropped. I know I'm in the minority, but I think a time of day feature to increase and decrease the fog as a match progresses would be awesome. The original map was spooky, but then everyone figured out that thermal cut it and everyone played in thermal. If you couple the reduction in thermal effectiveness and added more fog, this could be pretty cool and make it a spooky map again.

4. Sometimes you can still get your mech completely stuck, especially if its a big mech. It's better than it was.

5. Corners of the map are very rarely used, but offer some very interesting places to fight. All of F and G lines could be removed today and nobody would notice.

6. Steps. Why is it I can climb the steps in my marauder at full speed, but I can't when I'm going slow? I don't have an issue with needing to zig-zag, but make it more consistent on the path required to climb.

7. Dogbone-ish shape map. If E5 and F5 was opened up, this could significantly change the play

8. Unfair spawn access to C4-D4 hill. Move the Reds to D2, or move the blues to D6-E6. The latter would be more interesting, especially if E5-F5 is opened up.

Additional feature potential

1. Standing in the waterfall should give your mech an overall cooling bonus, similar to standing in water but count it for all heatsinks.

'
Good idea this gives. Make thermal not work on this map because of metallic fog or some other sci-fi reason.

#69 ZuFFuLuZ

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

The weird thing about this map is, that it is completely flat and that it has only two height levels. The swamp and the two big rocks. There is also the water, but that area is practically useless right now, because it's such a terrible position.
There is clearly a lack of vertical play here. I would LOVE to see a bunch of ramps leading up to many of the smaller rocks, just to get more variety and make it easier for lights and mediums to use their mobility.

Furthermore, the map has three obvious attack lanes. North of the rocks (B3), between the rocks (C4) and south of the rocks (D4).
Spawning in E2, you have to push one of them, but the B3 and C4 ones will almost certainly result in a loss, because you will run into the enemy team's firing line without any cover or room to maneuver. That makes D4-D5 the only viable strategy. But even that one is not great, because it is easily anticipated by the enemy team and it puts you on the low ground, which is a bad spot.

The other spawn is clearly superior, because you have much easier access to the stairs leading up the rocks, giving you more options. You can choose which high ground to take and defend or stay in the back and make a firing line in preparation for the inevitable D4 push.

To fix these laning issues and the useless water area, I suggest increasing the map size to the south. Open up the E5/E6 area and put some high rocks there for cover.

A long time ago, I made a little mock-up of these changes, which also includes other more interesting spawns. Just ignore the turrets, this is from when assault mode still had those. I'm also not sure anymore why I put that bridge there, but it might be fun, who knows? ;)

Posted Image

#70 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

what i like:
-the size of the map, its almost perfect, you cant shoot each other from the spawn points but it also doesnt take you 5 minutes to get to the game like forest colony and polar highlands (although i do like the openness of polar its just a bit to big).

-fighting on different hights, id love to see more maps with usable elevation (plateau's/bridges) or caves/tunnels (the old forest colony tunnel was always fun in a high risk/high reward way)

-plenty of cover for both movement and cover, but still some good lanes of those who have the range.

-the general feel and atmosphere of the map

-the swampy feel makes it unique (and also adds some downsides, movement and art wise)

what i dont like:
- movement on the stairs is atrocious (its better since the movement update but still bad)

- the big lower part just doesnt add to the map, when you go there you are essentialy out of the fight, and thus also makes the map thinner and more laney than it is on the map, while the map probably should be wider at the middle allowing for more movement options, making room for actual flanking and takes away from the lane warrior online feeling.

-still a lot of stuff around to get stuck on, i know its a swamp and thus should be a bit more cluttered (hence why i dislike but dont mind the lack of visibility), but dying because you cant move is just ... bad

-hitboxes, you have a lot of clutter on this map and a lot of them still have big hitboxes, its hard enough to see on this map so please let us atleast hit that what we can see Posted Image

-lanes, lanes, lanes, i can get the idea, but essentialy only having the C4 to fight over and having just 3 way's in makes it a bit ... boring? and it makes the map seem way smaller than it is, the E5 indentation also isnt helping in this regard

general map suggestions:
-so you dont only have C4 to fight over id say open up the B2/3/4 (maybe even C2/B5) area a bit more to allow more room around the big plateau there, then also open up the area around E5 (and parts of F5/E6, especially if you want to keep the lower ground as 1 space) and fill in the D4/5/E4 area (as raise the floor to the normal hight), add aditional plateau's (with stairs) in E4 & D5, this should open up b4 and D4 to fight in.

-close off the e1/F1 and G3/4 area (possibly even a part of F4) as its just a waste of space and resources better used to increase the middle part. and its also a spot where people can go and hide instead of play the game

-make atleast the big D2 and C5 plateau's reachable by stairs, other options are also welcome

-make a little bit more room for movement from D4 into C4 (although expanding into E5 will prob already do that.

-make atleast the C4/D4 hill accesible from both sides, or alternativly with expansion into E5 its possible to remove it completely and break it up into smaller plateau's like the E3 or B/C5 area thus elininating the "big central feature" syndrome that most maps suffer from

Edited by quantaca, 27 May 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#71 King Curt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

It's great that you gave a voice to Vivian the Bog Monster. What? You don't call him Vivian? I call him Vivian!

#72 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hello Steven, Nice to meet you.

I'm mostly here to support certain well planned suggestions. everything I like or dislike about the map has already been covered.

Although i must comment on the 'Clutter' logs and carapaces etc. I think they should stay, the visual clutter is good & somewhat necessary. BUT they need to be destructible which of course will clear up some sight lines as the match goes on.
Keep the BIG roots as they are, make anything that's 'knee height' or lower to an assault breakable or easier to step over.

And the Carapace's I think could safely take a few AC/SRM/Laser hits before breaking, OR If a 60+ ton mech walks though it (or a smaller mech at high speed) then it should break. this makes them still useful as cover, but not completely block up the battlefield. (hmm i'm not sure how I'd handle the fully roofed carapace in regard to people jumping on top. but it needs to retain that ability to hold a mech). Maybe even Colour code the carapace to show which parts are 'Fresh' and strong vs those that will break.

Then I'd like to Support Tarogato's work from ages ago that is very relevant to your question.

https://www.reddit.c...diting_the_new/

http://mwomercs.com/...spawn-variants/

as well as other posts in this thread that suggest moving the lower water more centrally on the map such as:

Alastair Winter - http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5211207

& ZuffuLuz - http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5211550

#73 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

Good
  • Narrow, vertical structures. Supports different styles: hill humping, side sniping, many-JJ hilltop sniping.
  • Color pallete
  • Mech movement diversity. Many folks dislike the stairs because the larger mechs have a tough time going up. Good, there should be advantages in piloting light and medium mechs. If pilots have not spent any time on the Training Grounds determining the right path up the stairs for their chosen mech it's not PGI's fault. Same thing with ground cluter. Some of it can be destructable (like the standing trees), but not all of it. Nothing should make a mech get completely stuck, but I don't mind it being difficult.
Bad
  • Central stairs face same direction, giving advantage to one team. I understand this for attack/defend maps (like FW), but maybe rotate the stairs 90deg? Each facing outside of map or each facing center of map. I prefer the former.
  • Bog lane. Most matches ignore that side of map. Instead of one low lane maybe have multiple "pits". I also like ZuFFuLuZ's map above.
In general I think more terrain diversity is a good thing.
  • Mechs should move slower in the water, with their speed decreasing the deeper the mech goes.
  • Some bridges (like on Canyon) should have weight limits, with a failure chance that scales with mech tonnage (20t=0%, 50t=20%, 100t=75%)
  • Destructable cover. Buildings should crumble under heavy fire. See Armored Warfare for a good example of this.
  • Forests should partially block weapon fire, with thicker trees blocking more. But moving thru trees should slow mechs as well.
  • Forest fires. Get those flamers working as intended!

Edit: several folks say things about the fog. I don't ever see fog, at least not enough to block my view of anything. If there are graphic settings that enable/disable fog, that is not fair.

Edited by Tamerlin, 29 May 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#74 JollyT95

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSeattle Washington

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:59 AM

I have one simple request that should change the way the map is played. Rotate one of the platforms in the center 180 degrees. The C3 and D3 hills both have stairs facing the same direction, if one of them had stairs facing the opposite direction each team would have a platform with stairs they could access. This would also make Domination mode more balanced.

Other than that, the map has really grown on me and I like all of it with the exception of the two center hills giving the advantage to one spawn side.

The only other suggestion would be that in the upcoming re-working of Assault Mode that one side has an established land base and the other side has a Union Class Dropship for their base.

Edited by JollyT95, 28 May 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#75 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

What i like about the map.

I like that cover is plenty enough so that if one side take the best spot you have many options and angle to fight them and still win.

I like that most cover is not too tall as to cut the map, get on top and fight from every angle. This is THE reason, i believe, that while the fight is always in the same vicinity it isnt 100% at the same place.

3 level/floor makes for interesting outcome. They give better options for fast mech to flank and assist or retreat without having slow mech being left alone too easily.

I like the colors.

I like the Alien world feeling with the dead Insect and also dead AS7.

What i dont like about the map.

Plateau/hill as a whole are too high and hard to access. You need a good amount of jj to get on most. That cuts the map and reduces the options. The smaller plateau at E3 are the way to go, small so they cant hold a whole team, not high enough to cut the map or provide reliable lrm cover. The big one at D2 can only be accessed from 1 side and are too high imo.

C4-b3 cover is too high and the lrm cover on top is too prominent, there should be places to go through the high ground cover, which would lower effective cover while making the map faster and less cut out with more options.

d3 to c3 high ground is too hard to access and dont provide a good option versus b3-c4 and is cut by a high cover on the limit of D3-C3. Cover is nice but it just cut the map without providing options like c4 or the ditch.

The 2 D5 high cover could be lowered and made accessible by mech via ramp or stairs and both could be connected on top but a huge fallen tree or what not. Then the C5 high ground could also be lowered and accessible from the other side and maybe also be connected to the closest in D5. We would gain a lot by adding more dimensions. More accessible highground that are also low enough to not cut the map would add options and dimensions.

Easier to access plateau that are lower and everywhere on the map would not make high ground king and plenty would privide ground cover for movement. Fighting could be more fluid on all level as a result.

The map could be a bit wider and longer. Wide enough for another set of plateau.

Id like more small plateau that provide cover on the ground but not when on top and they should not often or always block lrm.

More plateau should be climbable by everyone and from every angle. Stairs on every side, more forgiving stairs, i dont want to get stuck on them.

A bit less fog would not hurt, the map look pretty, let us see it a bit more.

There are still many places where my mech get stuck, tree trunk blocking the way is fine but stairs are frustrating when you cant get up because reasons.

Id say either make more small cover easily climbed by everyone or have less with more space to move in between the hills.

Edited by DAYLEET, 28 May 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#76 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

First, I would like to commend you and PGI for seeking player feedback. Though not all the community has consensus on how to make MWO better, I believe most do want to make the game better. We of the community are a great resource for PGI and I strongly recommend you leverage that resource for direction, testing and feedback!

I hope this marks the beginning of renewed communication between PGI and the MWO community!

Now, onto the feedback!

What do you like about this map?
This map is one of the better maps, if not the best.

I like:
  • That it is not too small.
  • The thick foliage and limited LoS it provides
  • The terraced landscape.
What do you dislike about this map?
This map has several important problems that become frustrating. Some are technical, some are by design.

I dislike:
  • That this map is not bigger.
  • That it funnels players into 3 primary choke points.
  • Getting stuck on stuff, especially going up the "stairs".
  • That the terrace stairs are accessible only from one side of the map.
Additional Notes
This map suffers from a design that limits points of contact between teams. There are only 3 points where teams commonly contact each other. Every map should provide as many options for contact as possible and should not seek to limit those options in any artificial way.

Choke points preclude tactics be taking away those options. That is, there are no tactics because there are no choices.

Viridian Bog Design
  • First, expand it's size; not so that the edges are much bigger, but so that the space between the mesas is larger.
  • Second, increase the number of mesas to 4; 2 larger mesas, each easily accessible to one team, and 2 smaller mesas connected by a bridge (stone archway) which are not immediately accessible (have to run farther to access). These mesas should form a rough triangle with each of the larger mesas respectively forming one point and the 2 smaller, connected mesas collectively forming the third.
  • Third, provide lots of foliage and cover in the space between the mesas.
  • Finally, be sure to provide to edge space so that teams may execute flanking maneuvers, should they wish to. This area should similarly provide lots of foliage and cover.

#77 chrx

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWhite Death Mercenary Company

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

+Excellent for brawlers. This is the main reason I vote this map (if I'm in a brawler mech).
+About right size to get into combat quickly but still does not feel too small. The size could be increased, but only slightly.
+The green visual look is different enough from other maps. It is difficult to see far away, but here I take it as a feature (unlike some other maps that feel artificially hazy).

-The stairs in the middle strongly favor the east team, especially on domination. I'd turn the stairs on one of the hills to the other teams side to make it more balanced.
-The stairs should not be a pain to climb, make them smoother.
-I still don't like the roots obstructing movement, although it is much better than it used to be.

Overall this is a good map and will be better after fixing the stairs. Just don't make it too large!

#78 Deltree Zero

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

Thank you for accepting all this feedback on Viridian Bog map design. I will give my personal opinions to you.

What I like:

The idea of a foggy swampy bog full of life and death is a fun venue for Mech combat.

Cool dead alien life carcasses provide cover.

The color green.

A medium-hot map for a push to manage heat better without going to arctic or molten lava extremes.

What I dislike:

Almost everything else.

Fog used here is a thick and formless grey visibility blocker. Fog is a great addition to the theme of this map but in its flat grey state is not tangible, does not blow around and has no dynamic or heft. bog fog should be down low to the water often, not just flat lame grey everywhere. This usage might be interesting to hide light mechs but not assaults.

Huge hills to snipe from have little to no place in a bog setting. A bog is lowland wet mushy swamp. Terrain in a bog setting should be a large area full of small clusters of living and dead plants creating a more cluttered zone with few or no large open firing lines. Play should favor those who create firing lines and sight lines through thick vines and trees and dead decaying matter, tactially moving and hiding in the thick numerous small areas of cover. Pronounced movement or sight lines and easy to recognize large cover areas should be all but missing from this map. This would add more varied encounter positions like you have achieved with Polar Highlands and add to replayability of this map. Variety is still the spice of life. Large dead trees could take the place of massive stone hills to obscure larger zones and keep more to the feel of a bog. You want a hilly map? Create one with hills in a setting which supports hills. Call it "Jump Jet Snipe Hills".

Actual sort of boggy area goes mostly unused due to its placement way off to one side of the map which neither team has any reason to enter.

Horrible funnel effect pushing all mechs to the classic overused MWO "huge hill in the center" uselessness, in this case favoring one teams approach due to poorly placed and unnatural stone staircases which somehow formed in this swampy bog. Many areas on this map are never even used by frantic W mashing PUG players looking to become King-of-the-hill. What should be a tactical situation is actually a one sided defense of the high ground by the team which spawns closest to the unrealistic stone staricase. If that is what you want, spawn a defending team at tthe top of the hill and instruct offensive players to take the hill from the advantage having defensive team.

Small maps have their place in gameplay and their existance adds a fast brawl flavor which should be present in some MWO maps. This should not be a small map. A bog is an expanse of land and should be large, wet, bumpy and uneven (but not hilly or mountainous) and full of living and dying plant life. It should be difficult to move and players should feel a little exposed at all times but rarely fully exposed.

BOG: bäɡ,bôɡ/ noun 1.wet muddy ground too soft to support a heavy body

(Heavy bodies like: large stone hills with stone staircases or 100 ton atlas mechs...)

Movement speed should be reduced on this map per definition of the word "bog" as a universal obstacle focus instead of needs-improvement-fog being the universal obstacle focus.

Hitboxes on existing terrain in this map are abysmal. More so when a player does not have the luxury of fantastic PC hardware and runs MWO at less than maxed settings.

Futuristic weapons strong enough to melt holes in 100 ton Atlas mechs should carve through decaying plant matter and old alien carcasses with ease and open up sight and firing lines.

Thank You:

Thank you for asking my opinion on this and thank you for reading my post. I enjoy playing MWO despite my problems with its map design, constant bugs and 100% worthless useless tragedy of a FP user interface unable to provide simple crucial information to players using readable and universally understandable WORDS. Even though I cannot fathom the reason why we all must translate some hideous pie chart image to find out which map we are dropping on, or be forced to memorize map positions on this abmoination of a user interface, I still enjoy piloting large robots with friends. Thank you for your time.

-Deltree Zero

Edited by Deltree Zero, 29 May 2016 - 06:49 AM.

#79 TerrasFallen

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

Maybe I am crazy but I want tunnels! I am talking small tunnels the kind that lights can use easily and some mediums can fit in but heavys and assaults cant get to. I want the E5 area to be added with a series of branching tunnels for LRM dodging and rat(light) hunting on capture mode. I want to see some tunnels from the lower area up to the larger center mesas.
Additionally I think we could use the stairs on both mesas turned outward, one into the D5 area and the other further into the B line backdoor.
After that I would love to have the tree and cliff hit boxes reworked so they arent as bad as the Grim plex's building boxes and if we could get stairs with destructible vegetation blocking them that dont cause my heavies and assaults to stop and ponder the mysteries of the universe in the leaves of the set pieces I would flip for joy.

Overall I love this map it has good LoS blockage and great cover without being ridiculous. If you could add those things and really work on the hit box problems I think this map would get very popular very fast.

#80 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

This has probably become my favourite map (used to hate it).

What do I like about Viridian Bog?
• The size and the shape of the map; its still possible to flank but small enough that slow mechs don't get left behind the same way they do on some larger maps
• Having multiple height levels though out the map
• lots of cover for mechs to sneak around in
• Platforms that adds a bonus for JJ mechs
• Crazy huge shells/skeleton things (nice to know we aren't in Kansas anymore)
• Thermal works well in this map
• no central empty killing ground circle

What don't I like about Viridian Bog?
• Not being able to shoot through/between some trees, foliage, gaps in shells etc... but you can in other places. - want consistently or visual queues why I can in some places and not in others.
• Getting stuck on the stairs or random places on the map. - wouldn't mind if there was actual bogs that mechs got stuck in... so long as it was consistent/oblivious that the ground was boggy.
• that there are stairs only on one side of big platforms.

Suggestions?
• Add stairs both sides of each large platform or flip one around
• Add arches connecting some of the platforms
• tunnels through the water areas that open up onto main areas
• keeping JJ only platforms
• fix hit boxes on foliage - or identity (some visible indication) of what can and what can't be shot though
• fix stairs – so mechs don’t get stuck on them
• add a couple more large platforms

Edited by chucklesMuch, 30 May 2016 - 05:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users