Your Take On Macros

90 replies to this topic

#1 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:38 AM

So I kinda just found out that some people (even youtubers) use these third party macro thingies. What are your opinion on these? Are they even legal?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,928 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...pgi-ban-macros/

See above fort he latest thread vomit on this.

In summary: some people think they provide an advantage. Regardless they are indeed "legal" and are acceptable to use under the terms of service of this game.

#3 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:42 AM

I don't use them. I don't like them. I don't like people who use them.

But i don't care enough to complain about it. It's not a big deal.

#4 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

The super deadly chain fired AC2........

#5 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:46 AM

They come with every gaming mouse.

This is really no more than people who want to complain about the thing they died to, rather than actually looking for the real reasons (like bad positioning, lack of teamwork, or just bad luck).

DISCLAIMER: I only use a macro for TAG

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 09 June 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#6 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

My take on macros is they should lock every macro thread except one. Too many of them get created despite this really being a non-issue.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, really the only actually beneficial macro I've ever seen has been a toggle for tag, and that's purely quality of life improvement. Well, that and quick chat macros to communicate while fighting.

Chainfiring weapons quickly sounds and looks cool, but is actually making an already mediocre weapon (in the case of the AC2) slightly more mediocre, not better.

There's seriously no real advantage to be gained from macros in MWO, certainly not one that can give you any significant kind of edge up over a player not using macros.

Sadly, people who are woefully ignorant like to complain about things they don't understand, rather than learning something.

#8 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

I agree, tag should have a button dedicated for toggle on/off, just like how AMS has them.
I haven't played in a while, but it looks like this macro thing can be a whole lot of fun

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 09 June 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

So I kinda just found out that some people (even youtubers) use these third party macro thingies. What are your opinion on these? Are they even legal?

Seriously? Did you have to create another one?

View PostMadcatX, on 09 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

My take on macros is they should lock every macro thread except one. Too many of them get created despite this really being a non-issue.

And which is why I have reported this thread.

Edited by Mystere, 09 June 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#10 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

People use macros because PGI put in weapons that can function better with them. PGI should just make some macro functions part of the game and everyone can move on.

IE:
what should be in the game:

Configurable mouse sensitivity decrease with zoom. A no-brainer if you have come from any other FPS game.

Chain fire that either cycles weapons at their natural cycle speeds, or program it so that ACs cant be fired in quick succession at all.

Better group fire setups for weapons so they can be cycle fired without incurring ghost heat and make macros that do the same thing redundant. Better yet, get rid of ghost heat and find a better way to nerf mega-alphas.

what PGI needs an anti-exploit fix for:

Holding gauss charge until needed. A macro for this is cheating a mechanic that is meant to require a human skill.

#11 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

View Postjjm1, on 09 June 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

what PGI needs an anti-exploit fix for:

Holding gauss charge until needed. A macro for this is cheating a mechanic that is meant to require a human skill.

I still don't get why people think that is an exploit, it's very easy to charge up the gauss with one button, then let go of it while pressing another button at the same time to fire another set of weapons (like PPCs). It really doesn't need the complexity of setting up a macro to accomplish skillfully.

#12 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Never knew those hold gauss as well. In my opinion that's kinda taking it a bit too far

#13 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

They are, and always have been, allowed in this game. PGI's on record on this. Since it's their game, they alone decide this.

Granted, it's probably because they're impossible to police. They're effectively a feature of the gaming mice being used. But then I don't see macros breaking the game, so I just don't care one way or the other.

Personally, the only macro I've used recently is that TAG toggle. That should be a built-in game feature anyway.

(I never understood the Gauss macro. Since there is a charge-up anyway, to me it's an advantage to be able to choose when to release the button, or whether you want to release it at all. A lot can happen in that fraction of a second.)

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

My take is look at the topics in general discussion before posting in general discussion.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

PGI's stance on the subject is third party macros are not allowed but those that come with your mouse or keyboard are allowed.

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

View Postjjm1, on 09 June 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

what should be in the game:

Configurable mouse sensitivity decrease with zoom. A no-brainer if you have come from any other FPS game.

So set your mouses dpi shift to the zoom key and get the same thing.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostCaptain Luffy, on 09 June 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

PGI's stance on the subject is third party macros are not allowed but those that come with your mouse or keyboard are allowed.

You are mistaken.

#18 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

They are legal because PGI haven't forbidden them.

I consider the use of macros to be a form of cheating.
Macros give you the ability to do something that is not possible to be done to the same degree by a human, and something which was not intended. The proponents will state that the gains are very small, but the gains and advantage over clean players are there, and if the gains are so small, why use macros at all?

#19 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Bad enough the game doesn't support mods and instead sells it's players 'Advanced Zoom' as an overpriced ingame module, but now the people are even asking why their mouse software is not forbidden. Again and again.

Edited by Kuaron, 09 June 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#20 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 09 June 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

They are generally fine to use in this game and many others. I personally don't care for them and I find people that rely on them so heavily in a lot of games to be kind of pathetic, but they are not that big a deal. Back in my counter-strike glory days it was rather entertaining going to lan tournaments where people didn't have their precious buy macros and struggled to even get out of spawn before I was half way across the map. Of course my refusal to use macros is probably part of the reason I have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel since I have for years put my hands and arms through Olympic level gymnastics with a keyboard.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users