They Stole Our Doritos And Won't Give Them Back Unless We Use Uavs / Tag / Command Consoles

60 replies to this topic

#1 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

This topic is not about the new minimap; it's about doritos.

https://mwomercs.com...ng-new-mini-map

Our next steps, in a future patch, will be to implement the acquisition of Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel through the use of intel-gathering systems such as TAG and UAVs.

Mechs with specific capacities, such as the Atlas D-DC and its Command Console, will be able to convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel. In addition, allied ‘Mechs within range of the D-DC will be able inherit the properties of its Command Console and convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel to their teammates. Mechanics such as those are still in the design phase, but hopefully that sheds some light on the direction we are looking to take the Mini Map and its relation to InfoTech in the future.

Posted Image

So, the feature that we've enjoyed for a very long time in MWO (seeing enemy doritos which allow us to know which direction the legs of enemy mechs are facing) is being permanently removed.. unless we deploy TAG, (blech,) consumable UAVs, (utter heresy that should not exist in a Battletech game,) or bring a Command Console, (which is a terrible waste of tonnage.)

PGI absolutely couldn't think of anything useful to buff the Command Console with, so they removed a widely used player feature and locked it behind a heavy piece of equipment that serves no other real in-game purpose.

I'd say give PGI feedback on how we, the players, feel about the permanent removal of enemy doritos, but

You're on an island

I'd also say Tweet directly at Russ your thoughts on the theft of our doritos, but he absolutely doesn't want to hear it.

http://i59.photobuck...zpsg5ymaloq.jpg

View PostJetfire, on 22 June 2016 - 05:05 AM, said:

How did you magically know which way every mech was facing just by being within sensor range?

The same way your sensors tell you the front and back armor values for the enemy.

If your sensors know that, in real-time, then they know which way the mech is facing.

Edited by AnTi90d, 22 June 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

I... actually am interested this change if PGI implements it correctly. Target orientation sharing is a good tool that only stuff like TAG/NARC/Command Console should ideally be performing, which will boost their usefulness.

As for UAV, without map zoom, they do little to help anyway. In the end, I am not gonna miss target orientation that much, really.

Edited by El Bandito, 21 June 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#3 Scalien

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

I agree. Make information something to strive for and not automatically handed out. WORK FOR THE DORITOS!!

#4 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

I... actually am interested this change if PGI implements it correctly. Target orientation sharing is a good tool that only stuff like TAG/NARC/Command Console should ideally be performing, which will boost their usefulness.

As for UAV, without map zoom, they do little to help anyway. In the end, I am not gonna miss target orientation that much, really.

I wouldn't mind it if a mechs sensor suite had upgrade options built into it, like endo, ferror, duoble HS's and artemis for your entire mech. C3 is an option that gives us the way sensors have always worked as that is how C3 works. Have C3 mechs with a nerfed sensor range. Have other options with enhanced sensor range, so a team doesn't need everyone with C3 mechs. The C3 mechs transmit information to your teams mechs. It is slightly different than LORE C3 as all mechs would need it for the info, but I feel good for the game and what makes sense for the game trumps LORE any day, all day.

C3 upgrade takes up a head slot. C-Bill cost.

I think most of the community is cool with side development when workable features are released together....and....well....work. ie. Tested.

Still waiting for Radar Quirks for our dedicated lore scout mechs.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 21 June 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#5 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Meh the Doritos have always been of questionable use. My Torso almost never faces the direction of my legs.

#6 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:02 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 June 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

I totally agree. Dorito gathering could be an interesting twist on information that actually makes the game deeper. I was actually under the impression they were canning doritos entirely... which would make them pringles. Significantly worse.

Anyway, this sounds like it could be promising.

View PostDarthHias, on 21 June 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Meh the Doritos have always been of questionable use. My Torso almost never faces the direction of my legs.

Do you drive an Urbanmech? If not, your torso can't be pointed all that far away. Doritos weren't a silver bullet, but they were definitely useful.

#7 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

This will be a good change. Don't forget you get the weight class in return. I hope with *infotech* you'll get the torso direction, not just the legs, that would be 100 times more helpful.

#8 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostDarthHias, on 21 June 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

True. They really need to put path indicators, like sonar or radar. A few dots to indicate if a mech is moving and what direction.

#9 MitzaVolchenko

• Pip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

View Post627, on 21 June 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

This will be a good change. Don't forget you get the weight class in return. I hope with *infotech* you'll get the torso direction, not just the legs, that would be 100 times more helpful.

What an enemy mech is has far less value to a light made of gasoline soaked tissue paper than whether or not you are probably about to travel into its immediate line of fire.

#10 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostMitzaVolchenko, on 21 June 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

What an enemy mech is has far less value to a light made of gasoline soaked tissue paper than whether or not you are probably about to travel into its immediate line of fire.

That is right. But if we ever want this game to have some kind of info war, this could be a part of it. The forum didn't explode because of the doritos are gone, that was something most players could understand.

I wouldn't even care if we only get red dots as default. For every extra info like class or direction you have to scout it out somehow.

#11 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostXenon Codex, on 21 June 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

They really need to put path indicators, like sonar or radar. A few dots to indicate if a mech is moving and what direction.

I would 100% support this, but I don't think PGI is capable of coding it.

I know that the old MW games didn't have directional doritos and displayed a primitive blip radar, but the developers of this game spent time and money to develop the directional dorito system. It worked perfectly in the game. No one ever complained about it. It was a good feature that PGI incorporated with few to no bugs. You could tell whether or not someone was about to come around a hill from the left or the right.. you knew which direction a swarm of mechs was headed.. you knew which direction that Atlas was facing so you could come over that hill and run up behind him.

Now, they're just going to arbitrarily take it away from everyone so that scouting radar sweeps in FP aren't as powerful and to finally create a manufactured purpose for the Command Console, since they didn't want to give the IS Targeting Computer tier weapon buffs and they couldn't think of anything else. They're unneccessarily removing well-used and liked features just so they can repackage it and sell it to us for tonnage plus a slot and reduce how many weapons we can run to raise TTK. Instead of rebalancing weapons / armor / structure / movement they're Indian giving.

#12 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 21 June 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

I would 100% support this, but I don't think PGI is capable of coding it.

I know that the old MW games didn't have directional doritos and displayed a primitive blip radar, but the developers of this game spent time and money to develop the directional dorito system. It worked perfectly in the game. No one ever complained about it. It was a good feature that PGI incorporated with few to no bugs. You could tell whether or not someone was about to come around a hill from the left or the right.. you knew which direction a swarm of mechs was headed.. you knew which direction that Atlas was facing so you could come over that hill and run up behind him.

Now, they're just going to arbitrarily take it away from everyone so that scouting radar sweeps in FP aren't as powerful and to finally create a manufactured purpose for the Command Console, since they didn't want to give the IS Targeting Computer tier weapon buffs and they couldn't think of anything else. They're unneccessarily removing well-used and liked features just so they can repackage it and sell it to us for tonnage plus a slot and reduce how many weapons we can run to raise TTK. Instead of rebalancing weapons / armor / structure / movement they're Indian giving.

You do realize that in your own thread, you are losing this battle. Most people are happy with this change, in hopes it deepens game play, and adds interest to other gear you can add to your mech.

#13 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

What irks me a bit is that what they've just said about the command console sounds exactly like what the unique targeting/command computer will be in the Cyclops

#14 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 21 June 2016 - 10:52 PM, said:

You do realize that in your own thread, you are losing this battle. Most people are happy with this change, in hopes it deepens game play, and adds interest to other gear you can add to your mech.

The thread was made after the hate train lost steam and went to bed / other games.

That, and most of the FP players I talk to, those being the ones who expressed malcontent with this boldfaced dorito theft, don't even come to the forums.

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 21 June 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

What irks me a bit is that what they've just said about the command console sounds exactly like what the unique targeting/command computer will be in the Cyclops

Yeah, they also needed to invent a reason to sell more Cyclopses. Buy a Cyclops and get a free bag of doritos. (No more free doritos. They stole the whole crate and they're selling us back our own doritos.)

Edited by AnTi90d, 21 June 2016 - 11:01 PM.

#15 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

Ok.

I suppose anything we used to have we ought to have, right? What if we had seismic and 360 target retention all the time out to 900m and we didn't have to stop?

View PostAnTi90d, on 21 June 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

(which is a terrible waste of tonnage.)

PGI absolutely couldn't think of anything useful to buff the Command Console with, so they removed a widely used player feature and locked it behind a heavy piece of equipment that serves no other real in-game purpose.

Yes... d-do you not see irony? The CC being useless, PGI giving it a use, and you petitioning that such a use should not be given to the useless CC? If it is so important that putting it behind the previously useless CC instead of giving it to everyone results in such disquiet, then mayyyyyyyyybe that's where it ought to be, as part of the CC.

#16 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 21 June 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

Do you drive an Urbanmech? If not, your torso can't be pointed all that far away. Doritos weren't a silver bullet, but they were definitely useful.

No. But I prefer Mechs with a good Torso twist, and well all Mechs can torso twist and most of the times I know where I´m going and am shooting on the run.
Usefull, yes I´ll give you that, but really only when you could manage to approach from the exact rear of the enemies leg orientation. Everything else has always been risky.

#17 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 21 June 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

This topic is not about the new minimap; it's about doritos.

https://mwomercs.com...ng-new-mini-map

So, the feature that we've enjoyed for a very long time in MWO (seeing enemy doritos which allow us to know which direction the legs of enemy mechs are facing) is being permanently removed.. unless we deploy TAG, (blech,) consumable UAVs, (utter heresy that should not exist in a Battletech game,) or bring a Command Console, (which is a terrible waste of tonnage.)

I'd say give PGI feedback on how we, the players, feel about the permanent removal of enemy doritos, but

I'd also say Tweet directly at Russ your thoughts on the theft of our doritos, but he absolutely doesn't want to hear it.

http://i59.photobuck...zpsg5ymaloq.jpg

Total island, I'm excited that its being used as INFORMATION WARFARE now. Like, an actual TACTICAL mechanic of information warfare that isn't just mech paperdolls, YAY!

#18 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

Can we just take a brief second, stepping back, to realize how hilarious and ridiculous it is that "doritos" has reached the point of essentially being the technical term? I mean just read this thread title imagining how it would appear if you weren't a regular player of this game. Gotta love it. XD

#19 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

I actually like this change. Doritos should be rewarded after hard working scouts do their jobs, not before the work is done.

You cite that the feature is widely used as if that somehow matters, it's widely used by both sides thus giving no one advantage, with this change, now the advantage goes to whoever brings pilots that know how to scout.

View Postsmokytehbear, on 21 June 2016 - 11:33 PM, said:

Can we just take a brief second, stepping back, to realize how hilarious and ridiculous it is that "doritos" has reached the point of essentially being the technical term? I mean just read this thread title imagining how it would appear if you weren't a regular player of this game. Gotta love it. XD

Reminds me of this:
Spoiler

Edited by Darth Futuza, 21 June 2016 - 11:52 PM.

#20 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:52 PM

I actually prefer the new system, knowing the weight class of the enemy is worth more to me than their direction. Once the map is zoomed in and orientates with me I will be very happy.

Making TAG, UAV and Command Console (and I assume Cyclops) convey direction is also a stroke of genius, it is exactly the kind of deeper info tech we have been asking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users