Highlander Iic Still Bad?

64 replies to this topic

#61 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

I'll admit I was frustrated with the Highlander IIC, thinking it was the one disappointment in the Origins Pack (I previously had trouble with Orion IIC too but it started holding its own after reaching Elite and Master level).

For a while I stripped my three Highlander IICs and just put them on the back burner. But playing more and more time on the Orion IIC has a way of inviting you back to its biggest brother. You keep pushing builds that almost work on the Orion but fall short of slots or tonnage, and every time it's like, hmm, I guess I could make that work on the Highlander IIC instead...

So what's working very well for me now, even before reaching Elite on the HGN-IIC series, is:
XL315
1x JJ
TC mk.I
C-LB20-X AC
2x C-ER PPC
3-4 tons LB20-X ammo depending on whether I bring AMS or not
C-LRM 5 + Artemis, 2 tons ammo

With the rest of the tonnage filled out by heat sinks it hits exactly 78 slots and 90.0 tons by setting the legs to 54 of 76 armor. It's rare (at least at my T5 PUG-tato level) to see anyone try to leg a Highlander IIC when the side torsos are far more effective targets.

In exchange for leaving 2 of the 3 missile hardpoints vacant, this gives me access to PPC spam alternating with those heavy heavy LB20-X hits. It's only getting better as I earn cooldown modules (soon to be replaced, anyway, but still).

This is where the HGN-IIC finally got fun instead of frustrating. And I love how after enough matches on the HGN-IIC, I go back to ON1-IIC and it feels fast. Or after enough matches on ON1-IIC, I return to HGN-IIC and it feels brutally powerful and survivable.

#62 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostBrizna, on 28 January 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Do not take this as an endorsement from me of the build I'll post, just as an slight improvement of your Spreader ™ build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2e191d069190611

Except the LPLs don't Spread ™ like a c-ERPPC does....

#63 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

The -C is pretty solid, I run 2 ER PPCs and 2 UAC10s on it. The rest are pretty underwhelming.

#64 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Highlander IIC - B, best Clan LRM boat Posted Image

#65 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

I love my HGN-IIC, but I can acknowledge that it's not really a top-tier meta mech

I run 2 ERPPCs, 2 UAC/10s and usually do quite well. Peeps let you reach out and touch people, and double-tapping the dual UACs puts out some hurt at mid-to-close range

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users