61 replies to this topic

#1 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

I called it...and so many others called it too.

https://mwomercs.com...s?t=201606mechs

Take a look at PXH leaderboards and compare them with previous similar events, above all with Rifleman, or the Holiday event with origin 2C, raven etc.

Don't stop into the top of the leaderboards, take a look from the beginning to down below, from top tier pilots to 50° position.

It is interesting to note how bad PXH was made by

1 ) utterly BAD volumetric rescale,
2 ) arms (blown off soooo easily)
3 ) hilarious useless quirks

How is possible that pgi that notoriusly perfecly know what to do, and do not need any suggestion from playerbase"... screwed up a nice unseen and iconic mech like the PXH....?

And when everybody with a lil grain of salt in the gray matter was calling this failure of balance, as soon as, screenshots was published (quite same height than griffin), and crap quirks was published.
Why did some players call it, and propose some changes, while pgi totally ignores issues about their own and ONLY product: mechs?

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 June 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#2 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:17 AM

I don't know how balance works for pgi.
I heard there is a new mechpack 'round the corner though.

#3 Sader325

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

Look at the quirks on the Phoenix Hawk.

Compare them to the Vindicator.

Your mind will explode.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

K.

Edited by El Bandito, 29 June 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#5 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 June 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

K.

:D
(were you reading another leaderboard?)

#6 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostSader325, on 29 June 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

Look at the quirks on the Phoenix Hawk.

Compare them to the Vindicator.

Your mind will explode.

Yep, it is.
Even the OP Trebby has +16 struct. on arms... despite it can have weapons on torsi too.
I assume pgi thought PXH was going to be too much OP adding structure ...on the only location it can have weapons!! :D

#trebby&vindyOPpleezNerf

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Posted Image
(were you reading another leaderboard?)

Yep, OP linked me to Rifleman one.

#8 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:54 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 June 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

Yep, OP linked me to Rifleman one.

I saw that too.
Fixed now, thanks to u.

#9 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:20 AM

Regardless of personal experience. PGI has the numbers and don't rely on armchair statistics.

#10 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 29 June 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Regardless of personal experience. PGI has the numbers and don't rely on armchair statistics.

What personal what are u talking about?
you can have nombers too ....if you can read and compare. You can read, right?
https://mwomercs.com...s?t=201606mechs

then you can also click "previous" and read and compare.

u are welcome

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 June 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

i usually know whether or not i will like a new mech by its hardpoints. my assumptions were good with the maurader and the kodiak packs i bought, and the bottom half of the origins pack. i dont regret any of those packs. of course ive seen packs come out where im like 'wtf, thats useless' and i dont buy those and wait for cbill release. speaking of which i need to save my cbills for the archer.

#12 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:13 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 June 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

i usually know whether or not i will like a new mech by its hardpoints. my assumptions were good with the maurader and the kodiak packs i bought, and the bottom half of the origins pack. i dont regret any of those packs. of course ive seen packs come out where im like 'wtf, thats useless' and i dont buy those and wait for cbill release. speaking of which i need to save my cbills for the archer.

Hardpoints aside, quirks make the mechs.
That's the reason I'm wondering "How Balance Works For Pgi" in thread title.
Looking at PXH and hardpoints, and uber arms.... I was expecting proper and reasonable quirks.

Once again, Paul shoud be fired. (if he's the person behind all of this crap)

#13 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

I don't give a rat's *** about quirks.

#14 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:33 AM

I suppose the MG quirks could be used as a test to see if MGs need a buff overall (which they TOTALLY DO)

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:45 AM

It's better to start underquirked and buff than overquirked and nerf. Lots less bitching that way.

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:46 AM

Kodiak quirks lead me to beleive that PGI mistakenly believed that anything with mostly energy hard points would be, in their mind, "a meta" build andnthus quirks were unwarranted. Energy builds were, again in their minds, the most fearsome things in the game and they fail to acknowledge the relative value of other weapons, hard point location, hit boxes, mech geometry, etc. A quick review of the Kodiak variants seems to follow that.

Then then rescale and the associated quirk pass that came with it.
And my theory is flushed down the toilet.
I look at the Grasshopper for example and cannot fathom why all the variants but the best one got nerfs. I look at the Phoenix Hawks relative to the Black Jacks and Vindis and am flabbergasted.
So maybe it is engine cap that drives quirks and is the key to balance? Faster a mech potentially is by weight the less quirks it gets? If that is the case quirks within some mech chassis makes zero sense.

I enjoy the mathematical aspects of this game but when it comes to understanding balance I think it best to just take a deep breath and give thanks to the Great Dartboard of Balance and be thankful his ire is not always upon thee.

#17 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:52 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 29 June 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

It's better to start underquirked and buff than overquirked and nerf. Lots less bitching that way.

Agreed.

People may want quirks to be added (even demand it), but they are generally just insistent. If quirks are taken away, people lose their minds.

Not to mention, sometimes it is hard to predict what something needs until it is actually being used and data is being gathered (although at least some small structure quirks probably should be considered a no brainer really).

I think we will see a quirk readjustment soon. I'm guessing it will finally get some much needed arm (and possibly legs and torso) structure quirks. Some weapon quirks on the PXH-1 would be nice too.

My only worry is that the quirks will come AFTER I have already leveled up the chassis I have lol.

#18 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 29 June 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 29 June 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

Agreed.

People may want quirks to be added (even demand it), but they are generally just insistent. If quirks are taken away, people lose their minds.

Not to mention, sometimes it is hard to predict what something needs until it is actually being used and data is being gathered (although at least some small structure quirks probably should be considered a no brainer really).

I think we will see a quirk readjustment soon. I'm guessing it will finally get some much needed arm (and possibly legs and torso) structure quirks. Some weapon quirks on the PXH-1 would be nice too.

My only worry is that the quirks will come AFTER I have already leveled up the chassis I have lol.

So, are u both saying that BJ is OP and overquirked?

Asking this because if they put the same quirks BJ have, PXH would still have been worse than BJ.

Another issue: do we have to wait 6 months to see pgi correct their fail about PXH?
HGN-2II had to wait SIX months before pgi fixed thier incompetent no quirks.

I read someone says about 1 month...but I found no souce whatsoever about a new quirk pass.

(edit: and no Mei, it wasn't that hard to predict PXH fail, since I and many others did it)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 June 2016 - 04:05 AM.

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

So, are u both saying that BJ is OP and overquirked?

Asking this because if they put the same quirks BJ have, PXH would still have been worse than BJ.

Another issue: do we have to wait 6 months to see pgi correct their fail about PXH?
HGN-2II had to wait SIX months before pgi fixed thier incompetent no quirks.

I read someone says about 1 month...but I found no souce whatsoever about a new quirk pass.

(edit: and no Mei, it wasn't that hard to predict PXH fail, since I and many others did it)

To be perfectly honest I'd say yes the BJ is overquirked.

And to be clear I said that if PGI doesn't requirk them stronger next month we need to pitch a fit. Caution is good, standing around with a blank expression instead of fixing a mech they COULD be making $$$ on is idiotic.

#20 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I was there with you. I kept saying that it was going to be another Vindicator. I wasnt being mean, I just saw another 45 ton Humanoid mech with low hard points. So i just figured...If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck...it's probably a duck lol.

I will be honest though, I figured it would be quirked better. I knew it would be fragile by it's 45 ton nature and being a Humanoid, a bit larger target, but I did think they would launch it with SOME structure quirks.

Hopefully it will get something for the Phoenix Hawk soon. We don't need the old Black Jack structure quirk level of absurdity, but something to help pad the arms and maybe even legs would be nice (possibly even a tiny bit to the side torsos...possibly).

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users