Decals Need An Off Switch

304 replies to this topic

#261 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

So game FPS is unstable since patch released, decals make the game look more childish and terrible.
PGI keeps giving me reasons not to play their game.

#262 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

Yeah. It's not like soldiers have ever painted X, Y or Z on their war machines before. Damn PGI. Why you break realism!

Ok, now that that's out of my system. I can understand the bit about people wanting to enjoy the art because Alex does kick some ***. Of course I haven't been distracted by the decals.

Edited by Sorbic, 20 July 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#263 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostSorbic, on 20 July 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Yeah. It's not like soldiers have ever painting X, Y or Z on their war machines before. Damn PGI. Why you break realism!

Ok, now that that's out of my system. I can understand the bit about people wanting to enjoy the art because Alex does kick some ***. Of course I haven't been distracted by the decals.

yet these same people bastardize Alex's designs by running stump armed Warhammers and EBJs, and such....so it's ok to uglify them one way, but not another. Brilliant.

#264 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

But with an option to unsee decals... that's inherently going to reduce their value...

The whole reason people put decals on their mechs is so others can see them. What good are decals to me on the outside of my mech when 23 people have decals switched off?

#265 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

Have we actually received any confirmation that it's the decals that are causing slow downs?

Also how in blazes is this subtracting from your immersion?

Posted Image

#266 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 20 July 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Have we actually received any confirmation that it's the decals that are causing slow downs?

Posted Image

Confirmation? We don't need no stinking confirmation!

#267 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostL3mming2, on 20 July 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

the problem is not that they paint stupid stuff on there mechs, the problem is that it looks bad, it f's up the look of the geometry and shading. if the decals had the same quality as the skins you can buy for mechs i would not mind.. in war thunder the decals look just fine but in here ... a load of them look like the glued a large flat stiker on a curved surface...

Its amazing how many times this point has been made, and yet other people ignore it and ridicule us as being opposed to the entire concept of having fun with decals.

That's called a straw man argument. Step one to not becoming a drivel poster is is to actually read the comments your replying to people.

#268 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:51 PM

One positive with decals and that skins/decals are visible at longer distances is that in a few instances it has given me a good aiming point :)

#269 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

With so many cool faction and merc logos in BattleTech they only had to pick a few and instead put in over 60 junk decals that ruin the immersion? Why would you do that? I agree, smiley faces and lips don't belong on mechs.. I expected mostly if not only faction decals.

#270 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostBelacose, on 19 July 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

Is there anything you people don't whine about?

No ****, ppl have been whining FOR decals forever so they put them in, and what happens? more whining

#271 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 20 July 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

Oh, another one of these threads. Adult children crying about stuff that does not matter.

Decals have been asked for sense closed beta, we finally get them and the tears start flowing.

Nose art has been a thing for 80+ years. Battletech fully embraces the tradition of soldiers putting their own artwork on their vehicles. Planes, tanks, trucks, jeeps, ships, and boats, all of them had artwork in one form or another. They also had Unit designations and heraldry. Which by the way the decals are supposed to be. Unit insignia, and organizational markings.

If you dont like it find, you dont have to put it on your mech. If you dont like it on some ones elses mech touch ****. It's not your mech, not your MC. All you should be caring about is shooting them any way.

Oh just one question. We can chose to put all kinds of different colors on our mechs. From camo greens and tans, to neon greens, and yellows. So if we can make our mech look like a technicolor rave already, why does that not bother you? Why are decals so offensive to you that you need to rant about them on the forums?

my problem is that curently the decals look bad, they screw up the tecture and lighting and how the shape underneath looks... they look like cheap stikkers...

View PostDaangeroussDann, on 20 July 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

my game is not even playable anymore, my FPS drops so low I cannot aim . If an off switch will help, and pgi knew the demands on video cards this would impose; sorry,, that's pathetic. Myself and my daughter cannot even play anymore since the patch. My Gforce GT 740's just won't hold the 30 fps in CW I was getting in CW, and 40-50 in Quick games. Now,, its 7-17 fps in CW and 15-22 in Quick launch. Major failure in my eyes. No decal is worth losing 10 percent of your population due to video requirements for decals.

sinds the pach i had the first problems with my mech teleporting and wraping all over (1 mach) is it posible that the extra lag is indead deccals?

#272 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

You mention terraforming, faster than light travel, etc.... but the thought that technology that exists today (simple see through window graphics) would not have been advanced to an even more refined state over the next 1000 years?

Then make a bold claim that "it's military grade paint", with zero hard data to back it up.

The convolutions of logic you just made to get to a "point" that supports your opinion is spectacular. (and ignores the fact you aren't looking out a windshield in a battlemech, but using sensors and scanner and cameras to project an image unto your view screen, or in this case, Helmet HUD, and the physical viewscreen is only used when that system is damaged, offline, etc.

You know what would be stupid in a heavy grade military vehicle? To have a giant bubble canopy with "shoot me here" painted all over it, to ensure that a single aimed shot would negate your 20 million dollar war machine. Even dumber to think that attempts to camouflage such an inviting target wouldn't be taken.

Seriously Nightshade, not trying to bash you here, but simple fact is, you don't like the decals on cockpits, and are grasping at straws to try to explain why, in a hope that maybe enough people will get upset and make it go away.

Technology development is heavily bent by history.
It was first estimated by 1910 that it'll take 70 years till the first plane can cross the pacific... then more WWI stuff happened and WWII threat rosed up with the invention of the monoplane wing design and powerfully engines 10 times poweful then a mere 5 years before allowed that to happen much more earlier.
In the span of WWII we went from Biplanes like the gloster Gladiator to the gloster Meteor in a span of 5-ish years
Posted Image
Posted Image

Technology is pushed depending on military, political, and economic situations.

NASA started using and developing SFB's and SSTO's (Solid fuel boosters and Single stage to orbits) as well as increase focus on reusable rockets and vehicles due to the major price cuts in the late 1990's as due to the end of the Cold War*
From NASA wanting multiple lunar cities made by now to simply sending rovers to Mars.

*sounds familiar? Welp, in BT the 2nd Cold War happened and the space race never stopped... this is why in BT we got basically a space station city by 2016 which is more then realistic and also the moon has lunar bases.

The 2nd cold war and the space race pushing to expansion of human controlled space is probably how technology was pushed in the direction of space flight and FTL travel. AS easily seen by this map here
Posted Image
and then following up...
Posted Image
I need a map of 2400 to prove a point. I've seen some here... you clearly saw the Russians/ Chinese heading in 1 direction while the western allies going in separate directions...
basically dividing the IS in half of between the western powers and the 'communists'.

Terraformation was another goal NASA wanted to do before their budget got cut. They wanted to look at mars extensively and wanted to recreate an atmosphere on Mars and potentially start to terraform it, on budget it'll take 10,000 years but having an oxygen tank and mask only is available at about . If most of the money was pushed towards it we can see it happening much faster. I am sure there is many other important and non important. I mean for the past 50 years hydrogen based engines have been kept being bought out by oil companies and then scrapped. We haven't solved world hunger yet or more correctly put to practice despite the fact we have enough clean water and food for everyone and extra if we managed logistics better... We do not have that and this and this and that yet despite being in reach and half the time some of these things such as graphics on windows isn't really necessary and I mean seriously, who needs it? I extremely rarely see them outside going about. I do not see many cars or trucks with them, or houses and buildings. Or glass floors and roofs with them or greenhouses or anything.
So what, maybe these were a thing but now it's vintage, it's gone. The same way how steam trains are no longer a thing in the year 3050 as well as TV broadcasting, Digital TV, Cellphones, etc. It isn't a practical thing, it isn't a culturally important thing, it isn't a common thing (unless maybe USA? USA loves to spam advertisements everywhere, Wasn't the royal wedding back in the days when broadcasted live into USA was interrupted with an add with a monkey for bubblegum?)
In 3050 adds are probably quite common on the holovids and stuff also holovision monitors probably be the mainstream.
If anything you would see vehicles with a part of it (such as a bus, say the rear or rear side) with large holovid monitors instead of static images.
but in case you haven't noticed. Mech cockpits are not mounted with holovid monitors on the outside.

From the GDL books of battletech it is stated that it is mostly 'windshields' on the front of the cockpit in a 'Mech and that if any cameras are used, it is to cover blind spots (rear, sides, etc) but these are not heavily relied on for forward vision due to the poor judgement of distance and if the systems fail it'll be catastrophic if the mech fully relied on it.
So yea, if these are ever added in MW: O (they are in MW4) then what you got is a mech that can't see forward but you may see your lower left, right, and rear... It is also stated that this isn't the vast majority of 'Mechs, we can assume the hunch side of the hunchback will have a camera going to the right but most other 'Mechs do not even have these cameras to begin with which is reinforced by the fact that on the sarna some particular 'Mechs are said to have a larger area of 'windshield' to allow greater visibility. From sources in both on battletech.net and the MUL it is stated that the main way to cover blind spots is with sensors detecting vehicles and infantry reguardless of cockpit line of sight visibility. Such as an example an infantry section behind your 'Mech hidding in the bushes.

However it does not provide you visibility there. The information is transmitted to the neurohelm but it does not project an image of it in the helm or anything basically... in short: it's the same as looking at a mountain in MW: O but you can lock on a mech behind it and you get a big box saying "UM-60L" and the paper doll showing up on your lower right. Of course these similarities is drawn out due ot the fact we are converting TT rules and such into a first person shooter game. in TT we are not even playing as the MechWarrior to begin with and knowleddge 100% on cockpit conditions isn't known. Most of the time we do not even know what the cockpit looks like on the inside besides some exterior views and some wallpapers. Hence why MW: O often does most cockpits of by scratch. Just like modern aircraft, vision is primarily line of sight while RADAR covers any blind spots.

Any other information on cockpits ranging from visbility and sensors is scarce. However we know of like 1 'mech with a CT mounted cockpit that has no Line of sight and 100% relies on sensors but in TT it also suffers design flaws such as hard to operate and many other problems like that... so it's safe to say that 100% sensors isn't the best of ways to go at it considering the mech was considered a flop and the most popular variant of it was a head cockpit line of sight variant. I'll link it to you if I ever do run into it but I think it's a jihad era mech.

#273 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:05 AM

View PostFrom 20 July 2016 - 10:49 AM:

Posted Image

I think the glass areas on the cockpit should have been off limits. These are not bus raps and head shots exist in game.
This just looks careless to me.

Edited by Rushmoar, 21 July 2016 - 02:09 AM.

#274 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 20 July 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

shhhhhh, this is not a matter to proof in the anti decal crusaders campaign.

#275 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 21 July 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

With so many cool faction and merc logos in BattleTech they only had to pick a few and instead put in over 60 junk decals that ruin the immersion? Why would you do that? I agree, smiley faces and lips don't belong on mechs.. I expected mostly if not only faction decals.

Some are generic ones that we would easily see in BT.
And we got quite a few mercs and factions. keep in mind these ones take quite a bit more time to make then the other ones.
They said they will be adding a lot more a lot more insignias for factions and stuff.

Grey Death Legion being one of the firsts coming in...
Posted Image
No surprise since we got 2 GDL 'Mechs in MW: O... they even got some 'decals' on already.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#276 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:48 AM

Remember when Player agency was a thing? Another thing actual MW games get right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh man, all those choices! Its too much to handle! A player that can turn OFF custom textures? Unbelievable!

Does this not-a-MW game even have an on off switch for those god awful horns yet?

Edited by General Taskeen, 21 July 2016 - 03:58 AM.

#277 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 July 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

yet these same people bastardize Alex's designs by running stump armed Warhammers and EBJs, and such....so it's ok to uglify them one way, but not another. Brilliant.

Interesting. That doesn't apply to me.
At least I'm consistent. Both on load out looks and paint.

Shame... i wanted classy decals. Now ihave them, but they somehow decided to include clown faces along with a piss poor quality (light reflection and complete override of mech texture).

But its ok... we have people who are dumb enough who think this is an anti decal crusade trying to take their toys away.

#278 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:33 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 21 July 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

Interesting. That doesn't apply to me.
At least I'm consistent. Both on load out looks and paint.

Shame... i wanted classy decals. Now ihave them, but they somehow decided to include clown faces along with a piss poor quality (light reflection and complete override of mech texture).

But its ok... we have people who are dumb enough who think this is an anti decal crusade trying to take their toys away.

the quality of them being bad does not necessarily require an off switch as most of you claim, you could also just go and tell PGi it needs improvement.

Edited by Lily from animove, 21 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#279 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 21 July 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

Remember when Player agency was a thing? Another thing actual MW games get right.

MekTek

#280 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

the quality of them beign bad does not necessarily require an off swithc as most of you claim, you could also just go and tell PGi it needs improvement.

Yeah, because that worked with FW... Decals are just one more in a long line of halfassed features in this game. I don't care if you want to put smiley faces or red lips all over your mech or paint it pink and lime green. I do care that decals have been so poorly implemented that they detract from the best thing MWO has going, the mech art.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users