#281 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 21 July 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

Interesting. That doesn't apply to me.
At least I'm consistent. Both on load out looks and paint.

Shame... i wanted classy decals. Now ihave them, but they somehow decided to include clown faces along with a piss poor quality (light reflection and complete override of mech texture).

But its ok... we have people who are dumb enough who think this is an anti decal crusade trying to take their toys away.

That's because many people here don't want any decals in game. While others are clearly campaigning to only have the ones they approve of and still others would rather simply have improvements. Not everyone is in the same boat so lets not pretend like they are.

Edited by Sorbic, 21 July 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#282 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 21 July 2016 - 05:39 AM, said:

Yeah, because that worked with FW... Decals are just one more in a long line of halfassed features in this game. I don't care if you want to put smiley faces or red lips all over your mech or paint it pink and lime green. I do care that decals have been so poorly implemented that they detract from the best thing MWO has going, the mech art.

FW issues are because of population and player orginsation levels that ruin it, I doubt decals can be influenced by this.

#283 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

FW issues are because of population and player orginsation levels that ruin it, I doubt decals can be influenced by this.

FW issues are because it is horribly designed and not fun, but PGI knows better than us stupid players so clearly it is our fault the mode is awful... The great Decal Debacle of 2016 is just part for this cours3.

#284 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 21 July 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

Interesting. That doesn't apply to me.
At least I'm consistent. Both on load out looks and paint.

Shame... i wanted classy decals. Now ihave them, but they somehow decided to include clown faces along with a piss poor quality (light reflection and complete override of mech texture).

But its ok... we have people who are dumb enough who think this is an anti decal crusade trying to take their toys away.

Internet's full of dumb people. Using dumb "reasoning ", you should get used to it

#285 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 21 July 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

FW issues are because it is horribly designed and not fun, but PGI knows better than us stupid players so clearly it is our fault the mode is awful... The great Decal Debacle of 2016 is just part for this cours3.

then yo probably have an idea hwo to make it better? there is none possible organised players wouldn't "ruin"

#286 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 21 July 2016 - 09:07 AM.
insult / ad hominem

#287 C1Rob

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 25 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

<p>the quality of them being bad does not necessarily require an off switch as most of you claim, you could also just go and tell PGi it needs improvement.

So we need to ask PGI to improve something? And you are thinking it will be improved because we ask?

Are you actually in this place or are you living under a stone?

Anyways back on this topic.

My thoughts on decals:

Positives:
-Yay, decals, finally! People have been waiting for them and they are now here!
-I like how you can add a personal touch to the mech by showing you support a certain house, etc

Negatives:
- Decal quality:
No shader, no material, just a plain color. This looks really bad. I know its a decals 1.0 but common, how hard is it to add a shader?
- Decal placement:
Although i like how you can place it all over, resize, and rotate, i do feel the types of decals that are in the game right now would work better with fixed decal locations (think of it like hardpoints on key parts of the mech: shoulder/upper arm/lower arm/right chest/ etc...)
- Texture quality/ mapping of the mechs themselves:
Before bashing please let me explain. When i put a decal on a knee, i should not be able to see that decal on the back of that knee and on the part of the upper leg behind the knee. This is just bad mapping and should have been though through. Makes me feel like no testing was done to fix these types of problems...
- Camera:
So now we can past decals all over our mechs, how are we going to for example line up our decals if we dont have a free look camera? We cant zoom in on the mech, we cant rotate up or down. All we have is left and right rotation and thats it.
- Decal variation:
Another part im dissapointed with. I agree the house logos should be in, i even agree the atlas face needs to be in. What i dont get is why the other unrelated, uninteresting, and just plain bad looking decals are in. Why not give us basic shapes and numbers instead? Look at games like Forza or warthunder. Layering basic shapes lets people do interesting things. It allows people to build the Unit logos, do art on mechs(although small with the layer count), etc.

Example:
https://youtu.be/AkHjRe1ZRKQ

Yes! I know! they have alot more layers. But still, look at the amount of basic shapes being used...

Now look at this:
https://youtu.be/X-YsD3SFGTc?t=1m21s
Yes thats 4 layers... Now look at what people can do with just 4 layers:</p>
http://www.giantbomb...1781613/?page=3

These emblems are put on the characters right shoulder, the doors of the choppers, the walls on the base, the tanks, etc etc etc.

There are lots of examples of how it could have been done, both extremely detailed and really shallow.

---

In the end, what i believe most people here that agree with Sader mean is that the current implementation taints the one big thing everyone likes in this game. The Art.

Now I do agree that it looks stupid when people run mechs with no weapons in arms that should have them etc. I also think ( and wish) that these arms would be replaced with a nice claw or something similar if that is the case. But this i find different than purposefully pasting a smily face inside an autocannon barrol just because one can!

I dont see the problem with an on / off switch. People that want them on can keep them on, people that dont can keep them off.

The argument that it would make them less value is stupid. Do you buy the decals for other people or for yourself?

If you say yes to the first you are doing something wrong. If you are saying yes to the second then whats the problem when a couple of people dont see it? YOU will still have them on your mech and YOU will still know they are there.

To make a story short, nice idea, improve the quality alot, maybe when you do that people wouldnt even ask for a button anymore...

Edited by C1Rob, 21 July 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#288 Calvyr

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 49 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

the quality of them being bad does not necessarily require an off switch as most of you claim, you could also just go and tell PGi it needs improvement.

And while we wait 6 months (generously optimistic) for them to get to improving them?

#289 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 July 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

then yo probably have an idea hwo to make it better? there is none possible organised players wouldn't "ruin"

I have posted my thoughts on it plenty of times as have many others. I don't want to derail the thread completely, suffice it to say I find FW is a poor shadow of what we were hoping for it to be.

#290 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

#291 The Faceless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

People on these forums begged and pleaded for Unit Decals and now all I'm seeing is that you want to turn them off.....

This forum is so schizophrenic its not even funny anymore.

LOL

#292 C1Rob

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostThe Faceless, on 21 July 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

People on these forums begged and pleaded for Unit Decals and now all I'm seeing is that you want to turn them off.....

LOL

Please Read your own post and then read the entire thread again Posted Image

Besides I have never felt the need for the decals...

Thank you!

Edited by C1Rob, 21 July 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#293 Calvyr

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 49 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:43 AM

LOL

Not once have I ever said that I wanted decals. While other people were clammering about how awesome they were going to be and how much they were looking forward to them showing up, I felt and said exactly the opposite. I knew that it wasn't going to be implemented well, and that it would be abused, and that there are far more important things that they could be working on. So yes, there may have been a lot of people begging for decals, but I doubt that any of those people are the ones who are now complaining about them.

As I said in another post, it wouldn't bother me so much if they actually looked decent, but there are large percentage of them that look like they were pasted on in MS Paint and it looks like garbage. And I don't accept the justification that "it's decals 1.0". If it looks that terrible, it shouldn't be implemented. Plain and simple. They don't release untextured mechs, why are they releasing untextured cosmetics for those mechs?

#294 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

LOL

Unit decals? fine Faction decals? great! Killcount paints? also good. Symbols like the Cbill or mc one or different manufacture logos? wooop woop lookin good ... did we get most of those? well we have the faction logos... but otherwhise nope.

Smiley faces that cover up large areas disregarding pilot visions, mech shape/shade, colours, weathering, Weaponemplacements etc. and just generaly look wrong? No.

#295 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

i think the big problem is that bishop has no style and doesn't care. he's trollin. his mechs look like pure garbage.

when he makes his sketches by hand he doesn't draw clown faces on them.
he does that just in game to troll people.

i tried some face cammo and i was pretty happy with what you can come up with as long as you're not trying to be 106% obnoxious.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#296 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

I wonder how many people complaining about decals... call the cops every time they see one they don't like on the back of a car as they drive on the highway. Posted Image
Or better yet, how many have lewd or questionable stickers on their own vehicles?

#297 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostBaconTWOfourACTUAL, on 21 July 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

I wonder how many people complaining about decals... call the cops every time they see one they don't like on the back of a car as they drive on the highway. Posted Image
Or better yet, how many have lewd or questionable stickers on their own vehicles?

they are an eye sore
and they might drive away players who COULD play a competing tank/robots game where the paint jobs aren't just making the game graphics look worse than the texture work in "slender"

#298 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 21 July 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

they are an eye sore
and they might drive away players who COULD play a competing tank/robots game where the paint jobs aren't just making the game graphics look worse than the texture work in "slender"

Oh, I definitely think you should be able to toggle them, should you choose that you don't want to see them...
However, I don't think all the hate spam is necessary.
Players are making a mountain out of this molehill.

PGI can offer a toggle without breaking the game.
Will they? Who knows...
Should they? Yes.

#299 C1Rob

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

How in anyway has this anything to do with this topic?

What if 100% did that? What does that change in this topic?

Edited by C1Rob, 21 July 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#300 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Strawman. (Most) people are not complaining that decals are in the game. Try reading the thread. The main complaint is the decals are poorly done and ruin the visual aesthetic of the game because they don't mesh with the mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users