New Performance Packs Now Available Through Steam!

113 replies to this topic

#41 Itachi The Prodigy

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 29 posts
  • Locationinside your wife...

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:13 AM

PGI sure can hustle hard, commitment to hustle us some mechpacks.......
No new features.....
No new tech......
No new 3060+ anything
No aerospace
No tanks
No battle armour
No mechs exploding

.......Just do you wanna buy a mech pack?

:oPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#42 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

View PostAramuside, on 24 November 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hey don't say that as I just bought the Shadow Cats as part of Clan pack 3 and love mediums. Posted Image

The good old Cat is actually one of the mechs I referred to as "high-skill" Posted Image It's a lot of fun to play, but I wouldn't call it new player-friendly, especially with the recent cLPL nerf that hit one of the more popular Shadowcat builds.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 24 November 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#43 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostMrKvola, on 24 November 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

Something just tells me selling separate mastery packs (now that we have even Clan heroes) on Steam perhaps with some added value in c-bills and MC would be a better choice than this...

I am just putting a new player's hat on right now:

I paid some hard cash to start me with a couple of 'mechs. I do not really know what I am doing, so I just press quick play and see what happens. I play a couple of matches, start to notice stuff like XP that is earned, perhaps someone tells me to use the Academy...

And then I realize I need to grind a lot to do anything - master the chassis, change the loadout... sure, the packs contain some c-bills and MC, but definitely not enough for mastery or a major build overhaul. And on top of that I have a set of 'mechs that play completely differently (and the chassis in this iteration of Steam packages are quite challenging to do well in, especially the Light and Assault package).

Not sure if I would feel very motivated to spend more time and money on the game, were I in this position.

In this situation a Mastery pack seems to be a better choice to me - it offers enough 'mechs to master a chassis, the 'mechs have a similar feel to them, but often allow for varied gameplay and options. And on top of all that you have the option to choose between tech bases and play whatever you like.

At first when I read that I disagreed but then it struck me that my first MWO purchase was the Clan Origins IIC. I'd played maybe a month on Ravens, Nova's etc and misunderstood that they were battlemechs not omnimechs so I actually couldn't afford to outfit them all at first which was incredibly frustrating. The whole point of buying the pack was to kickstart things c-bill wise. On top of that I loved the Jenner and Hunchback IIC's but hated the Orion and Highlander IIC's which just seemed clumsy and large targets. 218 or so mechs later I still haven't even done the basics on those last two I got such a negative initial view of them!

Edited by Aramuside, 24 November 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#44 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:04 AM

Wait...WHAT????
You are honestly demanding money from ppl for piloting Panther, Mist Lynx or Zeuss ????

There should be a two diggit MC reward for EVERY match anybody endures in one of those scoring a matchscore above 100.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 November 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#45 KingCobra

• The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

I would love to buy some more packs as I liked the last steam packs I bought but where is the 30% off?

#46 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

I think they'd be more success, with an upgrade a mech of choice as the C-bill earner. I'd rather pay for that.

#47 Zeoraimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

Can I swap the cbill bonus on the GHR-5J® in Resistance 1 pack, to have a GHR-5H(S) instead?

#48 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 24 November 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

Wait...WHAT????
You are honestly demanding money from ppl for piloting Panther, Mist Lynx or Zeuss ????

There should be a two diggit MC reward for EVERY match anybody endures in one of those scoring a matchscore above 100.

Problem? I do very well in them (except the ML havent played it much), well way above average last time I tried.
Just because you ermm.. "Struggle" and have a biased hatred? against them, dosent mean they are bad Posted Image Posted Image

#49 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 24 November 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

The good old Cat is actually one of the mechs I referred to as "high-skill" Posted Image It's a lot of fun to play, but I wouldn't call it new player-friendly, especially with the recent cLPL nerf that hit one of the more popular Shadowcat builds.

Except..to someone new, they wouldn't be coming to the game with any knowledge of what has been nerfed. But if they looked thru the mech lab, they'd clearly see except for the ER LL and ER PPC, all the clan energy weapons have maximum ranges that are less than double their optimal ranges.

ER SL 200 to 360 (80% more)
ER ML 405 to 688 (70% more)
SPL 165 to 297 (80% more)
MPL 330 to 561 (70% more)
LPL 600 to 840 (40% more)

I also wouldn't be surprised if they lower the max range of the clan ERLL to 1036m in the next patch, just to be consistent with the other two ER laser sizes, and the LPL size.

#50 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 24 November 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Except..to someone new, they wouldn't be coming to the game with any knowledge of what has been nerfed.

What I meant was that the only Shadowcat build that could be remotely considered friendly to new players just got hit by an indirect nerf. So it's even a less attractive option for a new player now. And yes, I know that Shadowcat still remains a solid dual PPC platform, among other things. But that build has a pretty steep learning curve to it. IMHO the Stormcrow from the old medium pack was a much better choice for "introduction" to MWO.

#51 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 24 November 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

What I meant was that the only Shadowcat build that could be remotely considered friendly to new players just got hit by an indirect nerf. So it's even a less attractive option for a new player now. And yes, I know that Shadowcat still remains a solid dual PPC platform, among other things. But that build has a pretty steep learning curve to it. IMHO the Stormcrow from the old medium pack was a much better choice for "introduction" to MWO.

The problem being that the SCR-Prime was the last medium steam mech. ;)

#52 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

And what about those of us who don't use Steam to play but instead use the direct platform? We get screwed?

#53 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

I 200th the general consensus,

some of the packs do not have great choices of Mech, especialy the light pack, ok, the Panther is not too bad but the MLX is.

something like Jenner/Firestarter/Spider with Jenner IIC/Kit Fox/ Adder would have been better, although the best option would be to offer 2-3 packs for each weight class, 1 Clan only, 1 IS only + maybe 1 Clan and IS.

also why remove the performance packs mk1, unless it is because you recognise they offered superior Mechs and do not want to offer a choice.

if a new player wants advice on what to buy to give them a good start my advice would be ether Resistance II, Origions IIC Hunckback pack, Clans wave 3 or one of the single Mech packs (depending on what they were planning on spending and what they liked about the trial Mechs)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 November 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#54 Rodrigo Martinez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

What about something like a steam loyalty reward or such? The new packs looks awful, only the heavy one is good enough.

#55 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

I don't understand why folks who have been MWO users for four years don't understand that repeating the same arguments put forward about last years steam packs isn't going to change PGI's mind on their contents. They're only for people playing through the steam portal. If you want to own them you need to buy through there, which means having a steam MWO installation to link them to your MWO account. You can then uninstall steam if you so choose and just use your regular PGI MWO client. Steam takes a "tax / commision" from the pack sales so that's why PGI can offer better value packs thru their own webstore such as the mastery bundles. Steam also employs regional pricing, so what you see in your location might be different than what someone else in another country sees. I see CAD dollar pricing for example, with the packs at 32.99, 43.99, 54.99 and 66.49 respectively. The most recent exchange rate from US to CAD dollars I got from a CC company was 1.32. So that 32.99CAD pack would be 24.99USD. What are americans seeing for the pack prices ? Aussies? Euros? Uk ?

#56 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostTordin, on 24 November 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Problem? I do very well in them (except the ML havent played it much), well way above average last time I tried.
Just because you ermm.. "Struggle" and have a biased hatred? against them, dosent mean they are bad Posted Image Posted Image

The point is that the words "performance pack" Should be replaced with "So you kickass and need a challenge?" because theres nothing in that pack that will make a steam player, who is new if hes considering steam pack, perform.

Edited by DAYLEET, 24 November 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#57 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

I believe the prices may even vary from country to country... I see €26.99, 36.99, 45.99 and 54.99 for EU.

#58 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostWibbsScrapMerc, on 24 November 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

PGI screws over the faction loyalists and new players ignorant of crap mechs again. GGWP

I don't think that they are intentionally "screwing" new players, but as the developers of "A BATTLETECH GAME" they should do a better job of introducing the backgrounds of each faction to new players. I think that if they had faction specific "performance packs" like I proposed in an earlier thread and maybe make a video for each pack that highlights that faction (a professionally made video with CG and good voiceovers) it would be much better for new players.

View PostMrKvola, on 24 November 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

I believe the prices may even vary from country to country... I see €26.99, 36.99, 45.99 and 54.99 for EU.

I have read that Russians get the best deals on STEAM because of the exchange rates.

View PostDAYLEET, on 24 November 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

The point is that the words "performance pack" Should be replaced with "So you kickass and need a challenge?" because theres nothing in that pack that will make a steam player, who is new if hes considering steam pack, perform.

A "Steam" player will learn to perform like anyone else by playing the game. I agree that naming the pack a "performance" pack is a bit misleading and may give a new player the impression that buying that pack would give them an edge over people who did not. FYI, I have played this game since closed beta and I am a "Steam" player, since I have used Steam since it came out and I linked my MWO account to my Steam account.

Edited by Ed Steele, 24 November 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#59 Daemonara

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

Awh, it's a real shame the first performance packs was removed from the steam store when these were released.
I started playing just a few days ago and was planning on picking up the heavy and assault packs once the paycheck dropped in. :\

#60 AnHell86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

1) Performance packs should not focus on patterns/colors/decals/etc. Instead they should focus on a single chassis and its variants. The idea is to bring in new pilots into the game and reduce the initial grinding with high performance mechs and bonuses.
2) I totally agree that the community should be given a voice on which mechs should be pushed for performance packs because it seems there is a poor choice of mechs from PGI.
3) IS and Clan should be separated. For example, one light performance pack for IS and another for Clans.

I have a lot of hours played and I would not recommend any of my friends to buy any of these new "performance" packs because of all of the above points.

I would recommend my friends to buy Mastery Packs. It's a much better choice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users