#41 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 04 December 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Yeah, I didn't see that it was capped at 75 skills.

I didn't notice the cap either.

So under my same numbers: 8,700,000 existing XP, becomes enough to master a whooping 12 and a half mechs instead of "merely" 2.

130 ish mastered mechs under the old schema to 12 ish mastered mechs under the new.

Yippie?

#42 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

If some of the choises do not block out other choises, all this change's going to do would be to increase the gap between casuals/newbies and veterans. Always a bad idea to implement a mechanic that allows that situation, it will negatively effect new player's experience even more.
Besides, if there is no choise involved, where's the fun?

#43 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

Wait...does this mean we don't have to buy 3 mech just to master the one we like???

Also this doesn't really impact me too much since I buy mech based on how good they are without quirks and play the ones I really like, but some mechs with take a hard hit if their native quirks are removed though and others will become uber power houses.

#44 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostBabyCakes666, on 03 December 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

**** mechs have quirks to stop them from being **** and your telling me pgi has undone all of this?

now clan mechs have quirks the EBJ has non and it poop dmg just fine

i mean what abut my hero mechs i PAYED MONEY FOR!!! wtf abut thos quirks MY LK!!

idk wtf there dong but im not happy D:<

you can still quirk any mech you want. I am not understanding the anguish on this on

#45 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

@Blood Wolf

I think the overall worry is mostly with the grind, not just the fact some payed money for what they thought were "Exclusive" quirks or details from mech to mech. I mean the only thing I'm upset about in this regard is that its looking like training a crew in WoT PC which takes a WHILE to accomplish if you aren't gaming the system hard and even then its not exactly as quick as can be done in MWO now. I managed to Elite Maulers in like two days and I'm a horrible assault pilot (thanks to a bud and the rando's in the QP Que who helped me with that). This system worries me mostly because of time investment potential.

#46 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 04 December 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

but some mechs with take a hard hit if their native quirks are removed though and others will become uber power houses.

And that is the real issue. Think all the Kodiaks are bad now? Can't wait for QP drops of nothing but mastered Kodiak 3s...because everyone decides to uses their refunded XP on their "best" mech and nothing else.

#47 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 04 December 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

you can still quirk any mech you want. I am not understanding the anguish on this on

Only being able to master 2 variants pr year with my current game time commitment (133 in-match hours) is a bit rough...

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 04 December 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#48 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 04 December 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

Only being able to master 2 variants pr year with my current game time commitment (133 in-match hours) is a bit rough...

who said anything about per year?

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 04 December 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#49 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

I have 236 Mechs. 191 are Mastered. Screw trying to level any new Mechs under a new system which requires 12x as much grind.

Posted Image

#50 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 December 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

And that is the real issue. Think all the Kodiaks are bad now? Can't wait for QP drops of nothing but mastered Kodiak 3s...because everyone decides to uses their refunded XP on their "best" mech and nothing else.

I'm hoping clams will have weaker perks and less of them and the perks are locked to the lore build of the mechs.

#51 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostAppogee, on 04 December 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

I have 236 Mechs. 191 are Mastered. Screw trying to level any new Mechs under a new system which requires 12x as much grind.

No worries! Those 191 mastered mechs worth of XP gets you 16 fully leveled mechs under the new schema. Who needs more that 16 mechs, really? Think of the savings!

#52 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 04 December 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

who said anything about per year?

he just means he plays 133 hours a year (actual combat time)

statistics also show how much XP you make per match
so its not hard to come up with a number of how much XP they would make in a year

and then they see that big number to level something up

what people are not getting is that this thing will not just go live but be put up for testing first

https://www.twitch.t...mes/v/105055090
timestamp
09:04

we're getting this thing into public test as soon as we can

so its values most likely will still change

also you dont need 3 mechs anymore to level up that one mech you like

Edited by Peter2k, 04 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#53 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 04 December 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I really like the idea of more customization in the skill trees, but the amount of grinding.. the Clan vs IS imbalance this will create.. the fact that, with Jump Jet height quirks, this thing brings back the poptart Gauss/PPC meta.. complete with velocity buffs for their Gauss/PPC..

Just want to point out that it's already back, complete with velocity buffs (hooray targeting computers!).

Other than that, yeah. So many ways this can go wrong (but also so many ways it could go right).

#54 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

So the new "skill" system is still basically some hardware improvement on the mech rather than a real skill set for the pilot? Lame. So much for role warfare®. And I quote from the four pillars: "What is a player’s preferred role when playing MechWarrior? Scout? Attacker? Defender? Commander? Whatever it is, a player will be able to train their MechWarrior to specialize in their style of gameplay. [...] As players advance their MechWarrior in a role, more skills and abilities related to their role will become available."

#55 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 December 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

he just means he plays 133 hours a year (actual combat time)

statistics also show how much XP you make per match
so its not hard to come up with a number of how much XP they would make in a year

and then they see that big number to level something up

what people are not getting is that this thing will not just go live but be put up for testing first

also you dont need 3 mechs anymore to level up that one mech you like

Thanks for the clarification. I think the important factor is that you don't need to level variants you never use. Which will cut the time down to master by 2/3(theoretically). Granted I do not know what the new tree will look like.

The current tree takes about 30k expeirence right now to mast. Given the Basic and elite skills, I might be off by a few thousand.

#56 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

never mind...

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 04 December 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#57 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 04 December 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

The demoed skill-tree is 75sp, where 1sp = 10'000xp, to master. pr variant.
So 750'000xp to master...pr variant....

Im pretty sure as you climb the tree it goes up from 10,000 xp.

#58 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 December 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

I don't think a test...at least in the normal pts environment that we all know and love...will get to the points being raised above.

If the testing environment gives each player some set number of XP to work with, then the test is merely to see how that value of XP "balances" across different chassis as applied by player choice (is a certain skills path OP, vs others; is a certain skills path chosen more often over others, etc.). Such a test will not address inherent bad mech vs good mech imbalances (a Cataphract has a ton of quirks to make it playable relative to other mechs, if a player applies the same number of XP to it in the skils tree test as a TimberWolf with the same amount of XP expended, the Timberwolf is going to dominate it. (I.E. the Cataphract had those quirks for a reason)). Nor will a PTS do anything to address the huge disparity of values between the old (current system) and the new.

Edited by Bud Crue, 04 December 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#59 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

I think that we are going to find that choosing some options in the skill tree will automatically lock out other options and prevent "super cooled" mechs or other over-stacking of buffs.

You might be able to choose +2.5% cool down rate, but doing so will lock out -2.5% heat generation. Something like that.

#60 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 04 December 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification. I think the important factor is that you don't need to level variants you never use. Which will cut the time down to master by 2/3(theoretically). Granted I do not know what the new tree will look like.

The current tree takes about 30k expeirence right now to mast. Given the Basic and elite skills, I might be off by a few thousand.

Russ acknowledged that's it's a good amount to grind for
But again
No more 3 mechs
mmm

There's some interesting shenanigans in the new skill trees

For instance I noticed that cool run is on opposing ends

And I think you have to master the skill above first, which opens up the 2 branching away downwards
There was a cool run field that you only reach by mastering speed retention (which isn't that useful)
and some other cool run fields are on the opposite site

Posted Image

Edited by Peter2k, 04 December 2016 - 01:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users