115 replies to this topic

#61 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Always try to learn from your failures. If something went wrong in the match, try to figure out what you may have done better. This is not to say that "it is the teams fault", because sometimes it will be. But, even if it was "the team's fault", you should always try to improve your own game play. (Just blaming the team and moving on doesn't result in improvement, and often times starts to become "not the teams" fault, just becomes "someone to blame".)

I know what I typed sounds confusing... I think it made more sense in my head. Posted Image

#62 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostJustin Kell, on 05 January 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

In this case we were playing grim plexus. there was plenty of cover where I was, but the only way to get close to the enemy was to cross a big clearing with no cover. the enemy was shooting ppc, missiles and gauss rifles everywhere.

How can I be useful to my team in that situation?

The million dollar question.. :)

Your best hope is that you say, hey lets flank, or how else is short ranged,, and hope you can get some to come with you.. Other than that just sit back and hope they take down a couple, that the dash across the open is much safer..

getting people to actually move in this game is the hardest thing you can do.. even for vets :) It's called "PUG LIFE" for a reason..

#63 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

I prefer "The Hillbilly Moonshiner School of Mechwarrior Combat."

#64 Gtrply79

Rookie

• The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:32 AM

Lots of good info in this thread for sure! One of the resources that helped me out with mech building is the following website:

http://metamechs.com/

That website has a play style guide for just about every mech in the game, and gives you some good builds to start with, even if you end up modifying them to suit your particular play style. Just yesterday I found a build for my Marauder 3R that made me actually enjoy playing it, mostly because I understood why the weapons were placed where they were on the mech, and how to effectively use them.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

#65 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostJustin Kell, on 03 January 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

There is so much good info here I don't even know where to start. Posted Image

I'm going to focus on situation/map awareness and mostly on one chassis (sometimes I just want to switch it up for the fun of it. Posted Image )

I'll probably post loadouts here of some of the mechs I'm using because I know nothing about mechbuilding.

Thank you guys so much.

Justin,
Let me make a suggestion. Try playing a large number of games as an ERLL or CERLL light mech with ECM like a Raven 3L or Arctic cheetah. (By large number I mean 100+).
You won't get an awesome KDR at first, nor great damage but you will gain valuable knowledge on positioning, situational awareness and reading how a battlefield is progressing. You will learn about poke-attacks and when to change position. You will learn when to be near the front, in the rear and when to flank.

Make no mistake, however, being a light pilot is VERY hard at the start -- you will get creamed often but if you take the time to evaluate what you did after every battle and what you could have done different you will see dramatic improvements. Once you feel comfortable that you know what is going on, switch from a long-range sniper to a striker build on those mechs
(Raven 3L would be 2 srm6 3 MLs, Cheetah would be 6 smpls) and work on your close range positioning. Eventually you will be able to anticipate where the biggest mechs are going, get behind them and core them out before they can do anything.

When you master that you will find that you are a lot better in the heavier mechs.

Get onto the FRR/Kurita hub TS server and look for some people to group with in group play.

Edited by nehebkau, 06 January 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#66 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 January 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Use the paper doll.

What's the paper doll?

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

View PostLMP, on 06 January 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

What's the paper doll?

Damage display.

#68 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

I just want to say that you guys are awesome. My play is already starting to improve. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm getting better. That wouldn't have happened without all of you.

I do have another question. I'm thinking about getting into faction warfare. Is that a good idea or should I wait. I don't really know a lot about it.

#69 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

Eh... better to wait until you have a full drop deck which you're comfortable using. For Invasion modes, you want builds that are more suited to mid-to-long range combat, and with a lot of combat endurance (the matches tend to be longer.) Of course, if you're joining in a contest that's still near the middle, you'll be seeing Faction Warfare on the quickplay maps with which you are already familiar.

So make sure you're not dropping in trials, but otherwise, it doesn't hurt to check it out - if your experience isn't fun, give it a while and check back. Faction warfare isn't finished yet by PGI's own standards, so more changes are to come.

#70 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostJustin Kell, on 06 January 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

I do have another question. I'm thinking about getting into faction warfare. Is that a good idea or should I wait. I don't really know a lot about it.

Try to do some research on what to expect from FP. Overall, and despite what some people/units seem to push on the forums, this is a game. Go and have some fun and give it a try. Overall, you'll never know what it is or how to play it if you never give it a try.

Best way to learn, is to try and do it. If you really feel shaky, ask around some more. Overall, I'd make sure you have 4 mechs you feel comfortable in that can fit into the tonnage limits of a drop deck. Once you have that, give it a go and let people know you are new to FP. There are people who will help as you play.

Overall, same advise as with QP, stick with your team and if someone is trying to make some calls, try to follow them if you can. Shoot what they shoot at, and if all else fails, try to protect your teammates leaving them to hopefully shoot at objectives. (Because I know invasion mode can be a little tricky. Not everyone knows how to shoot the O-gens or even what they are...)

Best way to enter into FP is with a group who is willing to help you. Possibly join a unit even. Shy of joining a unit, there are TS channels out there for the factions, you can always pop in those and see if someone will take you in. Sadly, I do not know where those TS servers/groups are. So... yeah. I can't help that far.

I will say, FP for a new player is worth it because it has some worth while things you can earn. However, it is NOT new player friendly, and is geared as hard mode and "end game" styled content. But, you can earn some free Mechbays, which you probably will need. (Hence the conflict.)

That is one tough question to tackle... And there probably is no right or wrong answer. But, overall, what do you really risk by trying? Not like driving a car for the first time in real life, where much more is at risk. (AKA: Nothing is really at risk for trying.)

#71 Todd Kuuf

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

it's your game you can play what you want, but others may not like that

get familiar with the mechs you plan to use, you'll need your drop deck sorted before you go, so decide now with what you have which faction.

have TS3 installed, just about every one uses that. in game VOIP is okay.
listen to the DC (Drop Commander), even if you feel it's wrong..
the maps are not the same, except for the new tug of war where there is now Quick play maps and modes.

it's a very competitive environment, so yes make sure you have your mechs built for that, it's not quick play, even the quick play portion is not played the same as normal Quick Play

have a proper drop deck ready . . can't say that enough

Faction Warfare is a different play. go ahead and try it, get a taste, get addicted, then build a correct deck.
getting with a Unit that focus Faction Play, is probably the best way to get into Faction warfare. they'll have advice, and builds that works with the group/team.

get a lot of C-Bills before going, so you're ready to build that drop deck.

#72 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

It's your computer and your account - but it's everyone's time and effort.

#73 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Ok. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to spend some time studying CW videos and especially on drop deck building before I jump in there. Don't want to ruin anyone else's fun.

Todd: When you say "get a lot of C-bills" are you talking about 10-20 million or 50-60 million, or do you mean even more?

#74 Todd Kuuf

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

couldn't really give an exact number, but count on 2-6 mil per mech, that could be for weapons, omniPods, Engines and such, and that's before cost of Modules , which could be another 12-16 mil (per mech). Sure one could play without the Modules. and one could swap modules between mechs, before the match, don't be too concern about the Modules at the start since you're starting, just be aware, they add improvements to the mechs.
Okay so soon, not sure if I remember correctly, but Modules in today's form may no longer be used. but for now think of any C-bills and XP and GXP spent on skills is being banked till the new skill tree, once the New skill tree arrives, you'll be refunded all of that

UAV's will be called for every once in a while, so have one of those handy.

#75 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Ok. I caved in and played two matches last night. They went pretty well. My team got obliterated both times but it was fun and I wasn't terrible. :) I'll stick to pugs for a while and follow the suggestions you guys have given me.

#76 Cmdr Thrudd

• Pip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

This is a really good thread, thanks to everyone that's contributed their knowledge!
I'm a returning player (I've played Mech games since the original Mechwarrior Mercenaries in the 90's but haven't played this since closed beta) and have found the info above really useful. I only returned two days into the game and really struggling but still enjoying it.
My 'Mech builds are ok, my biggest issues are being a little too aggressive and also not knowing the maps yet or the quirks of how they play in different game modes. I haven't yet learned where the common choke points are or good/bad routes to take so feel a bit lost most of the time. I spent the first day of play running about the training grounds but it didnt really help much as the targets are all static and the real match spawn points are different. I'm sure all this will change over the course of the next week as I get a handle on it.
Though I'm UK based I've been finding folks don't communicate as much in the quickmatches on the EU servers as they do on the NA leaving me somewhat confused as to what I should be doing. I'm also convinced that the map selecting script hates me; every time I fit for long range I get a team that brawls and when I fit for brawling everyone snipes leaving me standing around waiting for a chance to close :D

#77 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

The easiest mech ist arctic cheetah with 6 small pulse lasers. Approach from back, get really close before you shoot and see assaults biting the dust with 3 shots in the back.

#78 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostCmdr Thrudd, on 07 January 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

I'm also convinced that the map selecting script hates me; every time I fit for long range I get a team that brawls and when I fit for brawling everyone snipes leaving me standing around waiting for a chance to close Posted Image

Heh. You could try 'mechs that can engage at middle ranges, with guns like /10 or even /5-caliber autocannons and/or the appropriate lasers (Large Lasers for the Inner Sphere, and Large Pulse Lasers for the Clans.) Or if you're a long-range type in a brawl, practice your mobile sniping and just fight from the back/flanks of your team's main body. If you're a brawler in a team that won't engage, just hang back, stay in cover, and focus on chasing off harassing Lights and Mediums until the engagement range shortens.

#79 Cmdr Thrudd

• Pip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 January 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

If you're a brawler in a team that won't engage, just hang back, stay in cover, and focus on chasing off harassing Lights and Mediums until the engagement range shortens.

Good advice and this is actually what I started doing just after posting earlier. I tried it yesterday but felt like I wasn't contributing. Today I figured I was more use to my team waiting for the right situation to come up than throwing my mech away with an over eager push. Ended up having a few great games as a result. In one match I got 4 kills which is great seeing as my previous total kills up to this point was 6. :D

#80 Mechaholics Anonymous

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMechsico, Amechrica, JahMecha, Mechssachusetts, New BrunsMech, Mechxas, Mechtropolis, A..MARIKa

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

You might want to spend more time exploring the academy, than on the battlefield. When you level up there, go out into the battlefield.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users