101 replies to this topic

#41 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 30 January 2017 - 03:12 AM, said:

I dont wish to be associated with such comments, there's no need to go low like this and be un-respectfull.

It's a brave new world, get used to this.

Also the OP wasn't respectful himself, so there is no reason to sugar coat anything when addressing him

#42 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

What is Hilarious is when I hear stuff like that on comms:
"Light mech go take care of that raven"
"Light mech, go cap XYZ"
"Light mech go get me some locks for my LRMs"
"Light mech go find the enemy, I am too busy stuffing my face with donuts back at spawn to make any move, but I will surely find my W key once I see some Dorritos ... mmm Doritos"

... and there are zero light mechs on the team.

People seem to not want to play them much at all, but everyone seems to be an expert on what a light should be doing. You used to see the lights get blamed for all losses, back when people actually still played them, and even when they outdamaged every assault on the team.

#43 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 30 January 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

It's a brave new world, get used to this.

You mean its the safe / anonymous internet, i bet you dont dare to use these text face to face ;)

#44 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

Light mechs are fragile. In a game like MWO, they seem to be best used as a harasser (since the scouting role is a bit limited). Basically get in when no one is looking, do some damage, and get out.

If light mechs start fighting other light mechs, then both are fixated on each other (probably in a circle strafe dual) and aren't paying attention to the enemy heavy mech about 500m away that is disintegrating one of those light mech's legs with laser vomit.

Light pilots need to do as much damage as possible with taking as little as possible in return. That means sneaky tactics and knowing when to press and when to run away. That doesn't leave any room for light mech duels.

As a side note, there are some light mechs that do seem to be suited for killing other light mechs (and often do), but in general, I think even they would rather go after the bigger targets unless that enemy light is just too tempting to let go.

#45 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 30 January 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

You mean its the safe / anonymous internet, i bet you dont dare to use these text face to face Posted Image

I don't have a problem with taking a beating, so if some ******** doesn't show me respect, I don't really care if he's bigger or whatever, I always return the favor and that's one of the reasons why I have very few regrets in my life even when my attitude cost me some blood. They usually don't disrespect you a second time, cause even if you lose, if you do some damage before going down, it's enough.

#46 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:28 AM

View PostBenjamin357, on 30 January 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

People seem to not want to play them much at all, but everyone seems to be an expert on what a light should be doing. You used to see the lights get blamed for all losses, back when people actually still played them, and even when they outdamaged every assault on the team.

As someone who playes lights a lot and regulary playes lights on a competitive team I'd like to point out that lights play usually is a crucial factor for a team win. And damage means even less in terms of contribution towards success for lights compared to other mechs. I can easily imagine a situation where a light goes to do its own thing and farms an assault somewhere in the back completely oblivious to where the rest of the enemy team is, which in turn allows them to ambush his teammates in a bad position leading to all remaining mechs on the team doing less damage than they could have. Just a simple example of how a light can bolster his damage compared to that of his teammates while not actually helping, but then again, it works for pretty much every mech out there.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 30 January 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#47 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 30 January 2017 - 03:26 AM, said:

I don't have a problem with taking a beating, so if some ******** doesn't show me respect, I don't really care if he's bigger or whatever, I always return the favor and that's one of the reasons why I have very few regrets in my life even when my attitude cost me some blood. They usually don't disrespect you a second time, cause even if you lose, if you do some damage before going down, it's enough.
Your business with the OP is not mine, respond to him as you wish to be treated as well.. all up to you.
But you also disrespected ME with your low comments about euthanasia.

Edited by B3R3ND, 30 January 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#48 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

View PostDean, on 29 January 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

so I would like to know Why light mechs don't fight other light mechs? They seem to run around and cherry pick on the slower mechs and that tells me that the people who pilot the light mechs are back stabbing ****** and of low skill level who don't want a challenge. These same light mechs won't cap on conquest mode, and after I post this I suppose some moron will post I do this or I do that, talk all you want but drop into any game and see light mechs act like parasites it takes away from the game and for me makes the game very unpleasant to play. What say you?

I can answer these questions as a player who play light mechs most of the time.

Q) Why does light mech avoid to engage each other?

A1) It is far beneficial to attack/kill bigger mechs than light mechs. Kill 6 SPL locust or 3 UAC-5 + 3 UAC-10 Direwolf? The math is obvious.
A2) It is bad for the light mech's survival. Regardless you win the battle of the circle of doom or not, you will be inevitably damaged and less effective at surviving lucky hits from heavier mechs.
A3) Some builds like splat is not optimal to engage other light and fast mechs.

Q) Why doesn't light mech capture resource points on conquest mode?

A1) They are bad and only want C-bill.
A2) Or, after the initial capping, they understand the fact that conquest is still glorified skirmish mode, and in order to win, they have to kill mechs first. The ideal behavior from the light mechs is that capture the resource points as much as possible, then join the battle with other heavier mechs, and then later disengage the battle and capture/neutralize enemy resource points.

Edited by The Lighthouse, 30 January 2017 - 03:42 AM.

#49 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 30 January 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

Your business with the OP is not mine, respond to him as you wish to be treated as well.. all up to you.
But you also disrespected ME with your low comments about euthanasia.

I would suggest you get off that high horse, cause you're gonna have a hard time on the internet if you will act like an sjw in every thread you come across. Getting offended over what was said to other people, is so 2016, get with the times you slowpoke

I addressed the OP, you butt in, watch your business

Also the way I phrased it was way more civil than he deserved, so if you don't like it - go have sexual intercourse with yourself as you seem tense and some sexual release might solve that issue

#50 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:45 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 30 January 2017 - 03:28 AM, said:

And damage means even less in terms of contribution towards success for lights compared to other mechs.

I agree that damage is not the only metric of success. Scouting shows no rewards from a damage perspective at all. Regarding the farming idea, it is sort of unlikely. In a light mech, even in a disco enemy scenario, you really don't want it to wake up and take you out. The only time I see anyone farming a mech out, last enemy left at end of round, and it is done as if repair/rearm were in effect, to spite them for annoying everyone. Actual farming that occurs every round though: LRM Spam, and as much fun as it can be to troll around with LRMs on a light, it is generally not the weight class doing that. Light damage is quite the opposite in terms of relevance, as it is more likely to be precision, resulting in crippling or killing the target.

#51 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

so I would like to know Why light mechs don't fight other light mechs? They seem to run around and cherry pick on the slower mechs and that tells me that the people who pilot the light mechs are back stabbing ****** and of low skill level who don't want a challenge. These same light mechs won't cap on conquest mode, and after I post this I suppose some moron will post I do this or I do that, talk all you want but drop into any game and see light mechs act like parasites it takes away from the game and for me makes the game very unpleasant to play. What say you?

Skilled light pilots do take on other lights. We harass them if they get to close to our team, that is, IF your actually playing with a team and some derp QP drop.

Light pilots LOVE taking out pugtard assaults. Watching them trying to twist back and forth trying to line up a shot, funny. You know what I am talking about, you twisting left then right while the light runs circles around you?

Dont want a challenge? WTF you talking about? The challenge IS taking on an Assault in a Light. You try it yet? No? To hard for you, to much of a challenge?

All you have done is paint a very large target on your mech for all lights to shoot at.

Ill be looking for it in my Light because I need salt for my margarita's.

#52 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

View PostBenjamin357, on 30 January 2017 - 03:45 AM, said:

Regarding the farming idea, it is sort of unlikely. In a light mech, even in a disco enemy scenario, you really don't want it to wake up and take you out. The only time I see anyone farming a mech out, last enemy left at end of round, and it is done as if repair/rearm were in effect, to spite them for annoying everyone.

Sorry, but if I find an assault that sleeps on spawn even 20 seconds into a match I know that I can take him out twice over even if he wakes up. Good assault pilots never sleep on spawns because they know that they have to move right off the bat or be dead a minute after. And farming does happen, sadly more often than you think, because it still greatly bolsters your own c-bills. Some people would rather farm a disconnect then actually try and help their team, even more so in a losing match.

#53 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:55 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 30 January 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

With total disregard of the OP it does seem that 9 out of 10 lights even in high tier matches have zero clue on how to actually fight another light and either only try to run away from such a fight or die within mere seconds in a light duel. Just sad is all.

That is because they think they are some super secret super sniper. Cannot brawl if all you do is play alone firing your single ERLL. Tier means nothing but amount of time played.

#54 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 30 January 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

That is because they think they are some super secret super sniper. Cannot brawl if all you do is play alone firing your single ERLL. Tier means nothing but amount of time played.

Not the case. I don't expect ERLL supa-snipa trash to duel anything 1v1, nor should they. Its 9 out of 10 brawler build lights that have no idea how to duel another brawler lights.

#55 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 30 January 2017 - 03:44 AM, said:

I would suggest you get off that high horse, cause you're gonna have a hard time on the internet if you will act like an sjw in every thread you come across. Getting offended over what was said to other people, is so 2016, get with the times you slowpoke

I addressed the OP, you butt in, watch your business

Also the way I phrased it was way more civil than he deserved, so if you don't like it - go have sexual intercourse with yourself as you seem tense and some sexual release might solve that issue

Your insults and disrespect won't hold me back to say when you or anybody else goes too low. Anyway you should just keep on going insulting and disrespecting people if that makes you feel better, that will get you real far in life... Good luck with that.

#56 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 30 January 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Your insults and disrespect won't hold me back to say when you or anybody else goes too low. Anyway you should just keep on going insulting and disrespecting people if that makes you feel better, that will get you real far in life... Good luck with that.

You know what won't get you far in life? Fighting battles that are not yours to fight. You're wasting energy with 0 gain.

Also you should brush up your knowledge on what common trait most people in management posses, it's that they're sociopaths, which I also happen to be to a degree and coincidentally I'm in a management position as well.

#57 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

Awesome story dude, sociopath in a management position... can't beat that one. Good luck with life!

#58 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:19 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 30 January 2017 - 04:15 AM, said:

Awesome story dude, sociopath in a management position... can't beat that one. Good luck with life!

Here you go ******:

http://www.forbes.co...p/#39ce8d602740

I really have 0 respect for people that don't have even rudimentary search skills

In retrospect - yes it is a vice of mine that I have to reply to the biggest dumbasses I come across, I know I have nothing to gain from It, but it's like an addiction that I indulge in. Well at least it increases my patience skill

Edited by DovisKhan, 30 January 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#59 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

Why light mechs don't fight other light mechs:
You can't view light mechs as a homogenous group. They're not all the same. An ACH with SPLs is not the same as a LCT with SRM2's or an ADR with LRMs or a RVN with ERLLs or a SDR-5K with 4MGs or a Mist Lynx with ECM and CERPPC. They all do very different things, they all have different target groups and there's also a very clear hierarchy if you let these light mechs fight each other. Specifically, mechs like the SPL ACH or the SRM JR7 IIC tend to eat most other light mechs as a light snack. So unless you have a light mech built for killing other light mechs, you can't really win against them unless you have considerably superior skills.

Second, there are medium mechs and heavy mechs that are far, far better at killing light mechs than certain light mechs are. Put two LCT-3S against each other and let them try to kill each other with SRM2s. It's probably going to take 5 minutes. Now let a SPL Nova or Streakcrow fight a LCT-3S. The medium mech wins in 5 seconds.

Why don't light mechs act more like teamplayers?

This is a simple bias. Let me show you.

The duties of heavy mechs and assault mechs are generally the following:
  • Share your armour
  • Join your team when pushing
  • Kill stuff
The duties of light mechs are generally perceived to be the following:
  • Scout and find the enemy
  • Cap bases
  • Defend bases from being capped
  • Get in the circle in Domination and try to survive until your teammates can take over.
  • Use TAG and hold locks for your LRM boats (they get really angry if people aren't holding locks)
  • If you have ECM, cover friendly mechs with ECM so they don't get smashed by LRM boats
  • Shoot down UAVs, because heavies and assaults with only torso weapons can't do that
  • Pop UAVs for your team
  • Protect your assaults when they get isolated (even if it's their own fault)
  • Kill enemy light mechs
Light mechs will regularly be shouted at and blamed for any defeat if they don't succeed in all of the above. It's a lot easier to notice things that light mechs aren't doing. Especially when your team has 4-6 heavy mechs and 2 light mechs who are supposed to do all of the above. Which is generally the case.

Also, if you died trying to stay alive in the stupid Domination circle (dumbest game mode ever. seriously) or died defending base while your assaults just abandoned all logic and started capping instead, nobody will give a sh*t or thank you. They will just care about the guys who survived and the heavy / assault mech that did 1000 dmg.

So... yeah. Cry me a river about selfish light mechs.

Edited by Tristan Winter, 30 January 2017 - 04:22 AM.

#60 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:27 AM

COWARDLY LIGHT MECHS

They have to be, if they wish to survive for more than few seconds.

*edit* MRW I read the drama unfolding in page 3.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 30 January 2017 - 04:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users