What Is The Best Lrm Boat In The Game?

186 replies to this topic

#21 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'm not a major LRMer but I always found the Battlemaster 1S to be my favorite. It's fast, relatively tanky, can carry it's own TAG and backup lasers, and can dish out a pounding on unsuspecting pugs.

-k

#22 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 January 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

An LRM20, even in 4x5 format, is pretty underwhelming for a 55 tonner.

LRM20 has a 4.3 second cooldown
LRM5 has a 3.25 second cooldown

LRM5 missile spread is minimal while the LRM20 will routinely miss around 20-25% of it's volley (more on smaller faster targets)

LRM5s land more ordnance center mass than a 20.

The 55 ton chassis is quick enough to be where it's needed and this translates into more shots on target and fewer lossed locks or dodged salvos.

And the Kintaro Goldenboy has 5 missile hardpoints 1 RT 2 CT 2 LA

I use a KTO-GB as an LRM support platform (at tier 2) and routinely dishing out damage that places in the top 3 for my team is hardley underwhelming On the regular this mech deal more damage than most of the heavy or assault mechs on a team. (Kills most damage done is also in the top 3 on the regular)

It's not focused damage (LRM limitations) but 800+ damage is still 800 damage done that someone else doesn't need to do to take the targets down.

5 x LRM5
2 x Medium Pulse (KTO-GB is heavily quirked for medium pulse)
TAG
BAP
9 tons of ammo (used to have more heatsinks but I did run out of ammo and never overheated)

Edited by Lykaon, 31 January 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#23 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

Unless the Yeoman gets ingame, we'll never have the best LRM boat. ;)

#24 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostLykaon, on 31 January 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

LRM20 has a 4.3 second cooldown
LRM5 has a 3.25 second cooldown

I have no idea why you felt you needed to get defensive over the difference between an LRM20 and an LRM4x5, considering the post you quoted had me specifically implying that 4x5s are better than 20s.

Weird.

#25 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 31 January 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I like the absent one best.

Yeah 'cause it's easier to not have to think about team work and how to utilize unique characteristics of LRMs when they are on your team...amiright!

And having to fight against them...man who has time to do things like use cover and prioritize targets based on threat levels...just easier to mash alpha strikes every time I poke outa cover for half a second...amiright!

you post makes it obvious that you lack the full understanding of what LRMs actually do when used artfully. You're probably just a number cruncher that looks at those LRMs and sees ...

No focused pin point damage
Easily countered with numberous counter measures
To hard to learn to use properly

So garbage...amiright!

#26 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 January 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

I have no idea why you felt you needed to get defensive over the difference between an LRM20 and an LRM4x5, considering the post you quoted had me specifically implying that 4x5s are better than 20s.

Weird.

Did you read my tone as defensive? I was trying to be informative.

Your post specificly states that "and LRM20 even in a 4x5 format is underwhelming for a 55 tonner"

Uninformed players may not realize the significant performance differences that LRM5s have compared to an LRM20 as your post seems to regard one as interchangable with the other

Essentially it's missleading to state "LRM20 in a 4x 5 format" if the 4x LRM5s have very different performances. Not all launchers perform the same.

I also address the "55 tonner" portion of you post by mentioning the performance one can achieve with a 55 tonner equiped mostly with LRMs. I specified the KTO because it's a better choice than the Griffin 2N (in my opinion)

Since in my experiences 55 ton KTOs dish damage on levels normaly reserved for 100 ton assault mechs and routinely do so I thought I would state as much.

I strongly reccomend NOT using assault chassis for LRM support builds.With exception of a very few Assault mechs/pilots the KTO will perform on par or better and not use an assault mech slot for the team when doing it.

The Griffin 2N as has been stated does perform better as an SRM ambush brawler in most cases. (pilot preferances not withstanding) Also 4x LRM5s + 8 tons of ammo leaves enough space and hardpoints for 2 jumpjets,TAG (or med. laser) an ER PPC or Lrg pulse ECM (of course) and a DHS. With endo steel and a 280XL engine.

#27 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostLykaon, on 31 January 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Spoiler

What a verbose way to say 'I disagree with you on the tonnage-to-missile ratio that is acceptable.'

#28 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Anything over 75 tons is a waste, as is anything under 50

#29 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostCathy, on 31 January 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

Anything over 75 tons is a waste, as is anything under 50

Heresy. The WHK-B is an excellent LRM platform.

#30 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

For a 50toner. The hunchback 4j is the beat in its weight class.

#31 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'm pretty sure Archer 5W with 9 tubes is amoung the best.

Obviously the absolutely best depends on your personal skils and playstyle as well. Artemis, non-artemis, fast engine, slow engine, tag or no tag, all play differently. There is not one way to play a LRM boat.

Besides Archer 5W probably Cyclops -10-Q and Night Gyr are pretty good, as well as the said Catapult. Summoner with it's neat spread quirks is good too, but probably not among best, it has limited tonnage.

#32 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 31 January 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Archer 5W with 9 tubes is amoung the best.

Obviously the absolutely best depends on your personal skils and playstyle as well. Artemis, non-artemis, fast engine, slow engine, tag or no tag, all play differently. There is not one way to play a LRM boat.

Besides Archer 5W probably Cyclops -10-Q and Night Gyr are pretty good, as well as the said Catapult. Summoner with it's neat spread quirks is good too, but probably not among best, it has limited tonnage.

Don't see many Archers these days. Because of the poor quirks?

#33 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 January 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

The cockpit is almost in the crotch so it has awful visibility....

#34 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

The Mad Dog is not mentioned much, but it is a tremendous 5 boat. Mainly because it's missiles are not killed under 180 meters. it can carry 6 lrms 5's and 4 er med lasers. But it suffers from a heavy being used as a missile boat. which to me is a travesty. 60 tons of weight taking up a heavy slot which could have been used for a heavier more tanky mech. Now my pick was the Kintaro Golden Boy. because of it's overall fit into the team. but one thing I forgot to mention about the Golden Boy is it uses Inner Sphere missiles. This does make a difference as the IS missiles are (despite the minimum range) superior to clan lrms. Why? Because they don't stream out. This put more damage in one location instead of spraying it all over the target. As a missile boat the Mad Dog is great, but I still can't take it over the GOlden boy for the above stated reasons.

Also on the LRM 5 front. They are more cost friendly than the larger racks as they do not require artemis to tighten the group. Saving alot of tonnage that can be used else where on your mech.

#35 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostBombast, on 31 January 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

I don't think it needs quirks, it has 9 missiles hardpoints and enough tonnage to make full use of them. LRM boats are not popular and everytime you play one, you can see and feel how your performance is limited by quite less people locking targets. Well perhaps not limited but you can see you could do so much more, if people lock whatever they are fighting at.

It may feel discouraging. And it's an old mech, people like to try new ones.

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 31 January 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Now my pick was the Kintaro Golden Boy. because of it's overall fit into the team. but one thing I forgot to mention about the Golden Boy is it uses Inner Sphere missiles. This does make a difference as the IS missiles are (despite the minimum range) superior to clan lrms. Why? Because they don't stream out.

This put more damage in one location instead of spraying it all over the target.

IS LRMs have thigher spread? I've not heard of that one before. Only spread matters, not the time it happens. So, are you sure about that?

#36 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hunchback-4J with two LRM 10 with about 1300 missiles is a great mech for a LRM boat with 3 med lasers for backup. The archer-5w with 5 lrm5 with 4 srm4 for back up is great and anymore than 5 lrm5 is a waste as your cycle time does not change.

#37 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 31 January 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

For a 50toner. The hunchback 4j is the beat in its weight class.

"Unfortunately" it has lost some of its (mega) quirks.

#38 Kerensky98

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 31 January 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

AWS-8R, 4xLRM15+Artemis.

Ding Ding!
I was wondering when the first person to suggest an Assault Misslieboat would show up.

If you're firing from behind the front line armor is less of a concern. Plus you want decent speed to maneuver so the enemy can't use cover and you can still be less than 500m. Second line, supporting fire is the definition of medium mechs.
A Medium with 4x5 LRMs shooting from the backside of the scrum (300-500m) is usually going to still do more damage than an Assault 4x20 LRM that is constantly being left behind, shooting at 1000m, and has missile flight times so long the enemy can get a cup of coffee before ducking behind cover.

Even if you can throw 1700 points of damage into the air from the back of the map, what matters is how much damage you get on target (ideally grouped into the torsos).

#39 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Grasshopper is the best LRM boat because you can't waste more than a single 1 slot head hardpoint on LRMs.

This statistically increases the odds of you taking a useful weapon on your mech, though a single LRM5 with 30 tons of ammo and a TAG wouldn't surprise me.

#40 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Like the Golden Boy but I do better in the Kintaro 18. Rainbow goodness!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users