Polar Needs A City In The Middle

29 replies to this topic

#1 Sumdumbum

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

as the title suggests, this map needs more artificial structures in general, and a large city type area in the middle. IMHO

#2 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

I can see Polar with a central fire base with walls, a heavy turret grid, multiple random designated targets, and sensor grid. A tough nut to crack, with multiple layers to peel back. But attackers have a 360 degrees of attack options. NO funnels!!!!

#3 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:17 AM

There are different types of maps which can be roughly categorized by hot/cold and long/short range.
Polar highlands is cold, long range.
HPG is cold, short range.
Polar city is something in between.
No need for a second cold, short range map. You like to brawl, then take HPG, terra therma or viridian bog.

We need more diversity in maps, not less.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I agree that, to my tastes, Polar Highlands would be much improved if there was something, anything, other than the open space with minimal cover in the middle, but I can understand Doctor Dinosaur's point of view as well.

possible ways to resolfe this for everyone would include putting a few buildings up arround the HPG tower in Domination and putting the base in the middle for incursion, that would put it to diferant peoples preferances for diferant modes, still leaving it to the paleo vets preferance for 4 of the modes, while still giving a chance that when it wins the vote if could be long range.

also Alpine Peaks is another long range cold map, but that rarely seems to come up any more, to the point that I was very suprised to see it three weeks ago, I had not played it in a few months.

#5 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

I disagree with all my being. Polar Highlands is the anti-Nascar, and it's so refreshing. Maps don't need central thingies to fight over.

#6 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Why not, instead of a central city, a tunnel network under the map? Large enough for Assaults to pass though(also has a few byways for small Lights to dash in and out of), low enough for LRMs to not be as useful, twisty enough to allow Brawlers to be effective.

#7 MayoSkin

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

the problem with polar is that there is no cover only concealment, so a narc or uav can ruin your day so quick. Because of the lack of cover there is no way to counter poptarts.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostAdamSeal, on 29 June 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

the problem with polar is that there is no cover only concealment, so a narc or uav can ruin your day so quick. Because of the lack of cover there is no way to counter poptarts.

Concealment counters pop tarts don't it?

#9 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

View PostAdamSeal, on 29 June 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Yeah, NARC is essentially a death sentence.

Even something like a light spotting from behind will ruin your game unless you happened to drop in something that's fast enough to chase it down and kill it.

#10 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:09 AM

it needs something like the chinese wall in between, with large forest on both sides. or rekt avalon-class ship alongside a clan-battleship.

#11 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

+1

A runied city would be awesome. A copy from "Frozen City" would work fine as well, or a few copies.

#12 LAZERCHICKEN

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostAlienized, on 30 June 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

rekt avalon-class ship alongside a clan-battleship.
i like this idea

#13 Lucifaust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like people just want old frozen city back so why not stick it back in rotation and give the mob what it wants?

Otherwise +1 to OP. We get eaten alive by lrms on Polar, but not enough to justify more ams. Weird grey zone that ends up in us getting buried by Lrms.

PGI pls gief moar strukture to heid behine

#14 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Absolutely not. Every map that has a "central" structure ends up with battles occurring only there. Polar battles occur around theta or epsilon. A %50 increase of map usage! So No. It does the game no good when there is 1000 sq km of map and players use 2 grids. For me it's infuriating. Tired of missile spam? Mount ams. Mount ECM. use the low approaches. Focus rear LRMs. Ad Nauseum.

#15 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

Dear OP, I can feel your pain, but how about "NO!" .

Polar is a well made and quite challenging map, it´s even one of the better made maps in MW:O, so leave it as is .

#16 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostSumdumbum, on 27 February 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

as the title suggests, this map needs more artificial structures in general, and a large city type area in the middle. IMHO

Nah. The center has and always will be a trap, where the sides are usually far better in terms of cover.

People are just dumb enough to take the shortest route to what they think is the engagement, and pay for it.

#17 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

It's a nub-lrm-erLlaser-SPAMFEST, don't come with "mount ecm, use ams" etc bs, IF I could choose my mech AFTER map has been chosen, no problem, but if I would "follow" your "protricks", I would be forced to always run a mech with ecm, ams etc, but afaik, MW:O does offer a free choice, when it comes to your prefered mech....!? On the other hand I am forced to run ecm-mechs?? Doesnt sound very logic.... Posted Image

And to all the white knighting nubs that don't want a change on Polar, maybe l2p and stop using lrms to cover your weakness in aiming? Posted Image

just my 2 cents.... Posted Image

#18 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostUnleashed3k, on 13 August 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

It's a nub-lrm-erLlaser-SPAMFEST, don't come with "mount ecm, use ams" etc bs, IF I could choose my mech AFTER map has been chosen, no problem, but if I would "follow" your "protricks", I would be forced to always run a mech with ecm, ams etc, but afaik, MW:O does offer a free choice, when it comes to your prefered mech....!? On the other hand I am forced to run ecm-mechs?? Doesnt sound very logic.... Posted Image

And to all the white knighting nubs that don't want a change on Polar, maybe l2p and stop using lrms to cover your weakness in aiming? Posted Image

just my 2 cents.... Posted Image

Whoah buddy. I made a suggestion. Now don't degrade it by name-calling. I agree map drop should dictate a load out but you still can run a knife fighter if you play your cards right and press when the time arrives. Point being, you can't always have it one way. Crimson pisses me off because it's a phone booth boxing match in the tunnel. You are gonna lrm cry for polar. It's a battle. These are fluid. You should have zero choice in the end. And the enemy doesn't mail you his load out.

#19 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

I still think having a few smaller installations like the ones already there would make for some good game play. Then again some areas with the trenches are just killers, when they are cutting back to multiple lines of trenches.

#20 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

im have no ECM ,no AMS in my Mechs , only High Skill radar deprivation and no Problems with my Heavy Mechs ...using Cover , using LLasers and LRMs , not use only Brawl Builds , while im can aim over more as 200m, and not must crouch the Enemy in the Cockpit to hit the Reds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users