Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#261 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Man, Locust IIC with 9 Micro Pulse lasers anyone? That sounds great. Even just the 6 cSPL would be great.

#262 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 17 March 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

Which is truly shame... People complain "Clams OP" then vote for garbage PoS mechs that they like from the old days, then complain about how IS mechs are bad and "Clams OP" again. Its insanity, literally.

Personally I'm really hoping that the look at how close the Thanatos and Crusader are and just go for the Thanatos since its newer and more interesting.

A 2017 Chevy Cruze
Posted Image
is never than a 1955 Chevy Nomad.
Posted Image
Are you really going to tell me being newer makes the Cruze better and more interesting than a Nomad? (and from a pure technical standpoint the Cruze actually does outperform the Nomad, from pretty much all margins. Nomad: 0-60 in 14.7 seconds, Top Speed: 91 mph, MPG: 13.3. Cruze: : 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, Top Speed: 125 mph, MPG: 30+.)

For the sterile pocket protecter clad accountant, the Cruze Checks off every box. For the "Car Guy"? It's a bland lifeless box with all the character of tupperware. Car guy will take the technically inferior Nomad 10 times out of 10, bad gas mileage, inferior acceleration and safety features and all.

Perhaps that is the difference between a Tryhard and a Grognard. We care more about the passion and character of the product than the spreadsheet performance. So, enjoy your pocket protectors, comp guys! Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 March 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#263 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Shouldn't you be using the Chevelle or something instead of the Nomad? My dad is a car guy and I've never heard him go on about a Nomad (but have about the Chevelle, several times).

#264 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 March 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

A 2017 Chevy Cruze
Posted Image
Posted Image
Are you really going to tell me being newer makes the Cruze better and more interesting than a Nomad? (and from a pure technical standpoint the Cruze actually does outperform the Nomad, from pretty much all margins)

Well, im not a fan of the Cruze, but that Nomad is absolutely fugly in my opinion (just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

#265 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 March 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

A 2017 Chevy Cruze
Posted Image
Posted Image
Are you really going to tell me being newer makes the Cruze better and more interesting than a Nomad? (and from a pure technical standpoint the Cruze actually does outperform the Nomad, from pretty much all margins. Nomad: 0-60 in 14.7 seconds, Top Speed: 91 mph, MPG: 13.3. Cruze: : 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, Top Speed: 125 mph, MPG: 30+.)

For the sterile pocket protecter clad accountant, the Cruze Checks off every box. For the "Car Guy"? It's a bland lifeless box with all the character of tupperware. Car guy will take the technically inferior Nomad 10 times out of 10, bad gas mileage, inferior acceleration and safety features and all.

Perhaps that is the difference between a Tryhard and a Grognard. We care more about the passion and character of the product than the spreadsheet performance. So, enjoy your pocket protectors, comp guys! Posted Image

I'd take the Cruze out of those two, better fuel economy, and the Nomad does NOTHING for me.

But I would take a Chevelle/442/Impala over the Cruze, but those aren't even my preferred vehicles (I drive a 2006 Pontiac GTO, favorite car in the world is a 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO)

Either way I get your point, but I'm still going to complain about people wanting to add garbage to the game because they like it.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 17 March 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#266 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 17 March 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

Shouldn't you be using the Chevelle or something instead of the Nomad? My dad is a car guy and I've never heard him go on about a Nomad (but have about the Chevelle, several times).

Muscle Cars? Sure. But that's weekend car guy stuff. Real bowties guys know the Nomad. (sorry!) And I chose it because it was one of the favorites of it's era, a rare collector piece today, and blatantly inferipor in all technical standpoints.

But sure, go use a Chevelle, Torino, etc, and the point is still largely the same.

Heck, the V6 Mustang of today outperforms the Stock Mustangs of yesterday... but it still isn't going to get a car guy's heart racing like a 64.5 Mustang Fastback 289 , or a 69 Mach 1, etc.

I could have used the 58 Studebaker Golden Hawk, just as easily (first factory supercharged car) like the one my Dad had (along with a 55 Nomad with a blown 455, and his 67 Jaguar E-type and 73 AMC Javelin... and a lot more... as a kid we had about 20 antique, classic and muscle cars in the garage and in storage).

#267 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 17 March 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

Station-wagons....

To put it in a better context...

2015 GT 500 Mustang

Posted Image

1976 GT 500 Mustang

Posted Image

By every technical spec the 2015 kicks the stuffing out of the '67, but the '67 looks nicer.

#268 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 17 March 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

I'd take the Cruze out of those two, better fuel economy, and the Nomad does NOTHING for me.

But I would take a Chevelle/442/Impala over the Cruze, but those aren't even my preferred vehicles (I drive a 2006 Pontiac GTO, favorite car in the world is a 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO)

Either way I get your point, but I'm still going to complain about people wanting to add garbage to the game because they like it.

As long as you get the point. I happen to love any pre-996 body Porsche 911 Turbo, pretty much as the epitome of driving (though a 93-96 era Mazda RX7 works well for me, too). And for Americana, I'm a dyed in the wool Mopar guy. (First car? 1970 Challenger 440... far from stock).

But even the most amazeballz racer of today... lacks something (IMO) compared to the character of these older beasts. I mean that 84 288 has nothing on a Modena or newer Ferrari.... but which one revs you up?

A Crotchrocket is objectively superior to a Cruiser, in all measurables. I loathe crotch rockets, and love cruisers and cafe racers.

If MWO is ALL one or the other... the game is boring. Variety keeps things interesting and a healthier playerbase. Look how well my Urbanmechs sold, and while not super common in drops, how passionate their pilots are about them? Or how well received my little K9 is?

View PostMetus regem, on 17 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Station-wagons....

To put it in a better context...

2015 GT 500 Mustang

Posted Image

1976 GT 500 Mustang

Posted Image

By every technical spec the 2015 kicks the stuffing out of the '67, but the '67 looks nicer.

Modern Mustang or the Bullitt Mustang.... which gets car guys talking?
Posted Image

And the Bullitt was a plain jane, UGLY green 68 Mustang. Literally nothign special...aside from being driven by the epitome of cool (Steve McQueen) and being the focal point of the best practical chase scene ever filmed.

Heck, McQueen as Frank Bullitt exudes such a calm and cool, I freely admit, he actually is what I based the archetype for my Bishop Steiner RPG character on.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 March 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#269 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 17 March 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Well, im not a fan of the Cruze, but that Nomad is absolutely fugly in my opinion (just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Love it or hate it though...it evokes a response. That is passion. The Cruze? It's a tool. You can't really hate it, but you will never love it, either. It just...exists. TBH, that is kind of how I feel in the cockpits of most of my Clan Mechs... sterile. Practical. Boring. No character. (Which, lorewise, is exactly how they are supposed to feel).

Inner Sphere? Idiosyncratic. Inefficient. Well worn, etc.

For concealed carry, I use a modern polymer wonder 9 (usually. My fondness for Makarov's sometimes overrides pure practicality). What do I collect? Hand fitted ancient, usually military firearms, that have a craftsmanship and character that modern, more precise and practical firearms will never possess. A Glock will never fetch the price or the affection of a genuine Colt SAA, etc. But the Glock is, empirically, and objectively the superior firearm, in all regards.

#270 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 17 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Again, beauty being in the eye of the beholder, because i think the 2015 looks way better.

Now THIS is a pretty car (but again, i prefer the modern one)

Spoiler

#271 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 17 March 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

Again, beauty being in the eye of the beholder, because i think the 2015 looks way better.

Spoiler

Posted Image

I grew up riding in this...only in silver.

New Jag? Objectively better in every way. E type? Gets car guys palms all sweaty.

2017 turbo. Insanity on wheels
Posted Image

yet I would take this
Posted Image
over it, 10 out of 10.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 March 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#272 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 March 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

I grew up riding in this...only in silver.

New Jag? Objectively better in every way. E type? Gets car guys palms all sweaty.

2017 turbo. Insanity on wheels

yet I would take this

over it, 10 out of 10.

heh, we just have entirely different taste in what looks good. But different strokes for different folks, its all just opinion.

#273 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Bishop's definitely making the overall point better than I could, lol.

#274 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 17 March 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

Spoiler

Heh, I wanted this:

Posted Image

but talked the wife into this:

Posted Image

The new one is easier to get kids in....

#275 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 17 March 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

heh, we just have entirely different taste in what looks good. But different strokes for different folks, its all just opinion.

And that is the point. And really the only one need be made. One man's Spud is another man's Waffle House smothered, covered and chunked hash browns!

View PostArchangel.84, on 17 March 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Bishop's definitely making the overall point better than I could, lol.

Well, I understand Comp. Technical precision, etc.

But I LIVE "passion", which is what keeps an IP or Game alive.

#276 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

No Legacy no vote ;-)

#277 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 17 March 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

No Legacy no vote ;-)

Terrorists don't worry about voting anyhow, do they? Just unleash war crimes and WMDs and force your opinion, right WOBbie?

#278 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 17 March 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

No Legacy no vote ;-)

Done.

#279 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Popularity of the Hollander on the poll shows people want nostalgia, not "best".

Cuz let's face...Hollander is just...bad. But iconicallly so!

#280 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 March 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Popularity of the Hollander on the poll shows people want nostalgia, not "best".

Cuz let's face...Hollander is just...bad. But iconicallly so!

To be fair, it is much better in TT because of how low the BV is for it. Plus you can still punch and kick if you lose that Gauss.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 17 March 2017 - 10:24 AM.

103 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 103 guests, 0 anonymous users