Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#461 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 20 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

It does have its fans in TT, quite some actually being a high prestige Capellan Mechs with no stops pulled, deployed by the most elite units like Death Commandos and Warrior Houses.

The Sha Yu is also Capellan, the only difference is that the Sha Yu is a bit lackluster compared to the Men Shen; both were also featured in MC2.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 20 March 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#462 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 20 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

The Sha Yu is also Capellan, the only difference is that the Sha Yu is a bit lackluster compared to the Men Shen; both were also featured in MC2.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth about the Sha Yu, I seem to remember accidentally salvaging one that was a stick, and I just had to watch it run around doing nothing the entire mission.

#463 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Glad the black lanner is still leading.

Posted Image

#464 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Black Lanner may only have 11.5 when fully armored, but, it is a 55 ton omnimech with some good hardpoint options. Unlike say the Adder or Shadowcat it has a lot of hardpoints, and it will be after we get ATM's, so we can dump 4xATM3 onto it. If PGI is lazy and puts in Prime, A, B, C, D + Hero the C arm gives you access to 6E on the left arm, which is plenty to murder things with, the D right arm gives 2 more energy points for a total of 8 energy, easy and the tonnage to use it. Hell, you could run 6xSPL 2xHML with ECM in the head. That will out damage lights, and also do a lot of damage to most mechs. Sure only 46 alpha but, still good DPS. ATM3 build depends on how PGI does ATM's to see if 36 missile alpha (or you could put 4xSRM6 for 48 alpha but less range, with ECM and a lot of ammo) which is decent as well.

Personally I would run the Black Lanner D with A Cockpit so I can run 4xMG and 4xMPL which is 32 damage with some MG's for cracking components (though only a ton of ammo). Lanner, again, is a non jumping shadowcat in terms of weight it can bring, but, it can hit speed cap of the game with MASC+speed tweak. You want to eat lights, or cripple mechs with running stupid fast and having enough weapons to back it up due to not horrible number of hardpoints? Black Lanner works for that. Has enough armor to also survive in a stand up fight. Not the best option in the minds of many, but, it would give a very different 55 ton mech choice for clans. One that also gives a very different playstyle of a 55 ton light mech that can do some serious harm before being put down.

#465 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

What's wrong with the Men Shen. XL 330/MASC sounds like a lot of fun to me. Also can have ECM.

Men Shen has been a favourite of mine since i got the tech readout years ago, always loved the look of it.

But the Anvil is the mech i like the most these days.

#466 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

Men Shen has been a favourite of mine since i got the tech readout years ago, always loved the look of it.

Another mech I never got the appeal of, TBH.

A brick. With a solid, though vanilla loadout. I admit, I can see the appeal for MWO, though, again, I have to ask, how many Meta Bricks do we need?

And no, I'm not even saying that's your motivation. People like odd things... I like the Assassin after all. And Urbies. But I have to admit, some of the designs I see people get hyped about... leave me wondering if I missed the free LSD handouts, or something, lol.

But like I said..plenty of people `probably wonder what asylum I escaped from when it comes to my picks, too, so, yeah.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#467 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

So they reflected their choice before they casted their vote. Now that is something I take over the "it was in MW:4, it must be iconic"-routine any time!

That's what I'm worried about with future mech packs and Civil War pack that we received. The non-stop catering to the younger generation in future mech packs for MW:4 mechs, while leaving every other mech that isn't from the 3060+ era in the dust. Please don't do this PGI. Finish up with what should be already in the game.

#468 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

It does have its fans in TT, quite some actually being a high prestige Capellan Mechs with no stops pulled, deployed by the most elite units like Death Commandos and Warrior Houses.
And if it weren't Capellan, I'd love it too. Heck I like it because it is a larger, meaner Raven - which is part of the appeal for many as the Raven is a favourite of many Capellan fans.

If the votes have nothing to do with this fandom, the implications of the votes are even more important: if people who didn't know the Mech voted for it, it means they actually made the effort to look the Mech up, they actually thought about this Mech and its role in MWO.

So they reflected their choice before they casted their vote. Now that is something I take over the "it was in MW:4, it must be iconic"-routine any time!

Call me crazy bro, but when it comes to an IP based product, I'll defer to "it's Iconic to the Franchise" over "but it'll make another great generic meta stick, of which we already have 40", any day of the week.

Mind, in the instances where the two can meet? Even better.

Seriously, how many more High Hardpoint/ECM Mechs do we need? Is the goal to ensure nothing but peeking, ever again? Then hell, why bother making mechs at all, since we'll never see below the shoulders, let's mech Mr Wilson Cutouts with guns on stilts and save PGI a mint in art and modeling bills.

Posted Image

Howdy hey peektart neighbors!

#469 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Bishop, how many XL330 IS omnimech 55 tonners with MASC do we have? This isn't just another "high hardpoint ECM mech".

#470 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Bishop, how many XL330 IS omnimech 55 tonners with MASC do we have? This isn't just another "high hardpoint ECM mech".

Context, my dear Gas Guzzler. Look to the context of the quote I was replying to.

#471 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Context, my dear Gas Guzzler. Look to the context of the quote I was replying to.

Well, the overarching context of that post was the Men Shen... I just think that aside from any meta-ness, it will be something completely new and interesting to use.

#472 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 March 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

Well, the overarching context of that post was the Men Shen... I just think that aside from any meta-ness, it will be something completely new and interesting to use.

I don't think it will be bad, but as for interesting? Meh. Subjective, so it is what it is. Suffice it to say, I have never found it to be so, but that is simply my opinion (though I don't even remember the Liaos running to it in TT play... Emporers and Cataphracts and VNDs and Ravens, yeah... Ti tsiang also, but I don't recall ever realyl seeing people flock to the Sha Yu, Thunder, Lao Hu, Men Shen , or most of those designs. YMMV.

#473 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

I'd be okay with the Men Shen as long as it doesn't look like the TRO concept art. It looks really freaking gay. They'd have to completely reinvent it aesthetically.

Edited by Clanner Scum, 20 March 2017 - 10:01 PM.

#474 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 15 March 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it's the FedCom in me talking Posted Image

Thanks for adding the new 'mechs, votes changed!

How about the Peregrine?

#475 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 March 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

I don't think it will be bad, but as for interesting? Meh. Subjective, so it is what it is. Suffice it to say, I have never found it to be so, but that is simply my opinion (though I don't even remember the Liaos running to it in TT play... Emporers and Cataphracts and VNDs and Ravens, yeah... Ti tsiang also, but I don't recall ever realyl seeing people flock to the Sha Yu, Thunder, Lao Hu, Men Shen , or most of those designs. YMMV.

I'm kinda confused as to what interesting is supposed to mean here. I'm not persecuting you but it seems strange you voted for the Dervish when we have the Griffin that is nearly the same mech and yet you say the Men Shen isn't interesting even though it'd be fairly different from the other mediums in the IS arsenal.

#476 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:43 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

The Anvil has been added to the poll btw and you can vote for more than one mech per weight class.

#477 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

So the Men Shen does have its fans from TT, it brings something new to the table for being an IS-OmniMech and a fast MASC-user, and it is potentially powerful in MWO. That makes it a damn good choice.

Considering last years and this years IS Mech releases were dominated by pure nostalgia. It is quite time that, perhaps just once, actual gameplay is taken into account as well – even if it may induce a little less nostalgia. But if we start start limiting the game to the metric of nostalgia-über-alles, the game is going to be extremely boring. I am very glad that PGI dared to introduce less well known Mechs like Night Gyr or Linebacker.

View PostTheArisen, on 21 March 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

I'm kinda confused as to what interesting is supposed to mean here. I'm not persecuting you but it seems strange you voted for the Dervish when we have the Griffin that is nearly the same mech and yet you say the Men Shen isn't interesting even though it'd be fairly different from the other mediums in the IS arsenal.

The Dervish has nothing going for it except nostalgia, which may be enough of a reason... but it is not like there is a shortage of nostalgia Mechs for the IS.

However nostalgia, or the lack thereof, is what makes me indifferent to the Mech. In the lore it is the epitome of mediocrity, and as of 3050 even the AFFS (the biggest user) began losing interest. Their allies, the Lyrans, obviously always preferred the Griffin anyway, so no sales here either. The only thing that kept its production from being shut down was major lobbying. And even that would not have been enough in the long run, had the FCCW not created such an immediate demand for Mechs. Otherwise, the factory would have retooled its line and killed the Dervish for good.

#478 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:39 AM

Damn right, I really want to see Alex Inglesias take on the Men Shen, and see what's his interpretation of it.

Posted Image

#479 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for adding the Legacy.

Just a reminder:
Posted Image

it comes with 3 variants that are indeed different.
Ballistic Main Guns
Missile Main Guns
Energy Main Guns

the only drawback is its speed

#480 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 21 March 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

It means exactly what it says, right down to the "subjective " and "YMMV ".

What you claim to be new and special, I still see the recipe for another peektart. Yes, this one can get to its rock faster, but after that it still just end up mostly stationary and poking. How different. Standard build will be 3xLL of some flavor. Almost nobody will use the Missile torso mount if it's like the existing art, to avoid the larger hitboxes, and it's too light to really do much with any form of heavy ballistics (17 tons of pd space).

So no, I don't find it terribly interesting.

As for the Dervish being a Griffin? Missile hardpoints make it a Griffin clone, eh? Which Griffin has mistakes in the arms? Because the location very much informs how you play it. At least 1 version of the Dervish would almost certainly have quad missiles in the arms, etc. Much closer to an IS version of a Huntsman than a Griffin in actual use.

Also at no point do I claim outs better for the community. I voted for what I wanted, from the list offered, which doesn't contain any of my actual tip choices for mediums. So out of a pretty damn boring list, I picked the only one that I remotely would consider buying.

Subjective.
YMMV.

94 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 94 guests, 0 anonymous users