Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#941 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 21 April 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

They don't scale based on tonnage, it's a flat change.

They scale with engine size though since the gyro scales with the engine; that's why there are terrible tonnage discrepencies between engines like the 100->105/200->205/300->305. This is also why it is more complicated than Endo/Ferro.

Using integer division
XL Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 0.5
Standard Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 1.0
Compact Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 1.5
Heavy Duty Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 2.0

Small cockpits would be doable however since they are indeed a flat change.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 21 April 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#942 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 21 April 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

That's what I figured. If XL and Compact Gyro, and Small Cockpit, were added to the game they would be upgrades that modify tonnage and slots. They don't scale based on tonnage, it's a flat change.

In that case...

Posted Image

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

They scale with engine size though since the gyro scales with the engine; that's why there are terrible tonnage discrepencies between engines like the 100->105/200->205/300->305.

Using integer division
XL Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 0.5
Standard Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 1.0
Compact Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 1.5
Heavy Duty Gyro weight = (Engine Rating - 5) / 100 * 2.0

Well... sugar!

#943 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

They scale with engine size though since the gyro scales with the engine; that's why there are terrible tonnage discrepencies between engines like the 100->105/200->205/300->305.

Okay, so PGI has to code in a variable for Gyro weight for each engine XML so they can apply a percentage modifier. Still seems like an easy change to me, the UI part would be more difficult.

#944 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 April 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Couldn't Compact Gyro (and Small Cockpit) work like Endo/Ferro/DHS/Artemis? Just have it be a pay-per-change toggle that exchanges crit slots for tonnage. Although, do they (Gyro or Cockpit) weigh more/less depending on chassis and/or engine rating? That would be a problem...

Don't forget the compact engine... half crit space, 50% more weight over a standard....

#945 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 21 April 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Okay, so PGI has to code in a variable for Gyro weight for each engine XML so they can apply a percentage modifier. Still seems like an easy change to me, the UI part would be more difficult.

Sure, a model change is easy, refactoring everything around that is always the hard part. Though adding a weight to each engine in XML is both error prone and just blows up the XML, that sort of crap is the reason the DRY principle exists.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 21 April 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#946 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

Please put the Crimson Langur as an option. Fast heavy striker with a top speed of 110kph. High shoulder mounted energy hard points should make it an easy favorite.

#947 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostxXJ35T3RXx, on 22 April 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

Please put the Crimson Langur as an option. Fast heavy striker with a top speed of 110kph. High shoulder mounted energy hard points should make it an easy favorite.

Sadly it has tonnage problems as it has an excessively large engine and mounts neither endo nor FF. But of course more options are good.

#948 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Sitting down, for those who might be upset at the Piranha is beating the Locust IIC and the Firemoth likely is on hold until PGI fixes hit reg issues for mechs going 162kph (173.2-173.3kph post tweak) with masc putting it to 216kph (213kph post tweak I believe). Edit: MASC MK1 is only a 20% boost in MWO so it would be 194.4kph pre-tweak and 207.84kph to 207.96kph, rounding to the nearest 10's that is 207.8kph to 208kph post tweak for MASC.

But, the Piranha 2 mounts friggen 15 energy weapons out the gate which lets you run 12-14 ERSL's for 60-70 damage easily, it starts at a 180 XL (so PGI likely wouldn't give it a bigger engine or might let it take a 200).

Posted Image

The Locust IIC would be stronger of course, with less boating options, and the same movement profile, and a hair bigger than the Locust itself, they might redesign it more towards the TOR art which would be interesting instead of it's super japan design.

Posted Image

I would fear both coming into the game, and given the PGI's statements about the Firemoth's speed issues, Piranha winning against the Locust IIC I see the Pirahna coming in first, which will be far easier to put down given slightly less health. Still, both are going to be nasty mechs to fight if PGI decides to put in a new clan light mech.

I am miffed about the Hollander winning over the Osiris or the Owens, I wish the Owens was winning due to Owens is a long time favorite even with it's handicaps of standard structure, armor, single heatsinks, hard locked XL280 engine. Just a soft sport for it. Hopefully PGI IGNORES the Hollander and goes for the Osiris which would be a fun mech.

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 23 April 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#949 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 23 April 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

Sitting down, for those who might be upset at the Piranha is beating the Locust IIC and the Firemoth likely is on hold until PGI fixes hit reg issues for mechs going 162kph (173.2-173.3kph post tweak) with masc putting it to 216kph (213kph post tweak I believe).

But, the Piranha 2 mounts friggen 15 energy weapons out the gate which lets you run 12-14 ERSL's for 60-70 damage easily, it starts at a 180 XL (so PGI likely wouldn't give it a bigger engine or might let it take a 200).

Posted Image

The Locust IIC would be stronger of course, with less boating options, and the same movement profile, and a hair bigger than the Locust itself, they might redesign it more towards the TOR art which would be interesting instead of it's super japan design.

Posted Image

I would fear both coming into the game, and given the PGI's statements about the Firemoth's speed issues, Piranha winning against the Locust IIC I see the Pirahna coming in first, which will be far easier to put down given slightly less health. Still, both are going to be nasty mechs to fight if PGI decides to put in a new clan light mech.

I am miffed about the Hollander winning over the Osiris or the Owens, I wish the Owens was winning due to Owens is a long time favorite even with it's handicaps of standard structure, armor, single heatsinks, hard locked XL280 engine. Just a soft sport for it. Hopefully PGI IGNORES the Hollander and goes for the Osiris which would be a fun mech.

Well I'd say another thing that the Piranha gives is a 20 tonner that the Clans just don't have ATM.

As for the Hollander... I wish ppl would think for a second about how bad a slow light with such a big ST would be. (Or that Pgi would ruin the look by giving it a reduction.) Tbh the Owens isn't much better but could be saved by unlocking equipment.

#950 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Or making an Endo+DHS version and breaking canon... Although I can't see many people being upset about that one.

#951 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 23 April 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

Well I'd say another thing that the Piranha gives is a 20 tonner that the Clans just don't have ATM.

As for the Hollander... I wish ppl would think for a second about how bad a slow light with such a big ST would be. (Or that Pgi would ruin the look by giving it a reduction.) Tbh the Owens isn't much better but could be saved by unlocking equipment.

That too, the Piranha would give Clan's a 20 ton Battlemech which is of course pretty good in it's own right.

And yeah, the Owens if PGI unlocked it's equipment it would become rather interesting, keep say IS engines locked, but unlock the rest of the equipment would be rather interesting dynamic to IS Omni's.

#952 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 23 April 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

That too, the Piranha would give Clan's a 20 ton Battlemech which is of course pretty good in it's own right.

And yeah, the Owens if PGI unlocked it's equipment it would become rather interesting, keep say IS engines locked, but unlock the rest of the equipment would be rather interesting dynamic to IS Omni's.

You do know the Howler is also a Clan 20 ton Battlemech right?

#953 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 23 April 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

You do know the Howler is also a Clan 20 ton Battlemech right?

It is, but, it isn't 2nd place in the poll for the clan lights, the Piranha is.

The Howler however has some rather massive issues in that the 3 versions that it has one is 3xLRM5's in the right torso, 1xERPPC in the RT with MASC in the CT, and 4xATM3 in the right torso with MASC in the CT. This mech only goes 113.4kph out the gate but could get up to a max of 156kph with an XL180. Howler would be a rather bad addition due to too dependent on ammo at it's weight bracket and focused all it's firepower on one side. Sure, PGI will likely put like 1M in the LT for the M versions and 1E for the E versions then a distributed E version as well, but, it is pretty meh. No jump jets is another knock against it, if it had jump jets I would give it a nod as it would have some interesting mobility options to make up for it's hard point issues.
Posted Image

#954 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 23 April 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

The Howler however has some rather massive issues in that the 3 versions that it has one is 3xLRM5's in the right torso, 1xERPPC in the RT with MASC in the CT, and 4xATM3 in the right torso with MASC in the CT. This mech only goes 113.4kph out the gate but could get up to a max of 156kph with an XL180. Howler would be a rather bad addition due to too dependent on ammo at it's weight bracket and focused all it's firepower on one side. Sure, PGI will likely put like 1M in the LT for the M versions and 1E for the E versions then a distributed E version as well, but, it is pretty meh. No jump jets is another knock against it, if it had jump jets I would give it a nod as it would have some interesting mobility options to make up for it's hard point issues.
Posted Image

The Howler would be a total troll release for the clans. They've wanted a 20 tonner for awhile and for obvious reasons the FMoth and Piranha are much more popular

#955 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 23 April 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

Posted Image

Really don't like the Howler that much for a 20 ton mech since most of it is the same flavor of missiles with a side of energy, not much vareity when picking up this guy, good thing the fire moth and pirhana is ahead of it.

#956 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:41 AM

Piranha Games makes MWO, there is a mech called Piranha...I think we have a winner. ^_^
I kinda think of the Piranha as similar to the Urbie mech. Its an oddity but can be fun to play.
Just make it the companies Totem-mech with costum paintscheme and colors

#957 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 24 April 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

Piranha Games makes MWO, there is a mech called Piranha...I think we have a winner. Posted Image
I kinda think of the Piranha as similar to the Urbie mech. Its an oddity but can be fun to play.
Just make it the companies Totem-mech with costum paintscheme and colors

Well with one variant rocking 12 cmgs and another with 14 (I think) energy the Piranha would be more than an oddity, it could be quite good.

#958 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 April 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

Well with one variant rocking 12 cmgs and another with 14 (I think) energy the Piranha would be more than an oddity, it could be quite good.

15 energy, 6 in each side torso, 1 in each arm, and 1 in the head. Stock is 2 Heavy Medium Lasers in the arms, 1 Heavy Small Laser in the CT, and 12 ER Micro Lasers in divided between the side torsos. That is the Piranha 2. The Piranha 1 is 12 MG's between the ST's 2ERML's between the arms, and a ERSL in the CT. Both are pretty strong contenders, though the 1 probably would drop a few MG's for a bit more ammo than it's stock 1 ton of ammo.

Edit: brought to my attention that the small lasers are in the CT, not the head, blame waking up in a not so fun way today. Still, Center line mount.

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 24 April 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#959 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 24 April 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

15 energy, 6 in each side torso, 1 in each arm, and 1 in the head. Stock is 2 Heavy Medium Lasers in the arms, 1 Heavy Small Laser in the Head, and 12 ER Micro Lasers in divided between the side torsos. That is the Piranha 2. The Piranha 1 is 12 MG's between the ST's 2ERML's between the arms, and a ERSL in the head. Both are pretty strong contenders, though the 1 probably would drop a few MG's for a bit more ammo than it's stock 1 ton of ammo.

Personally since the cMG is only .25 tons each, I'd be more inclined to drop the cERML's for ammo... as it is she can add cFF for an aditional .5t free space... On a side note, according to the record sheets for the Piranha 1 and 2, the cERSL in the 1 and cHSL in the 2, are both located in the CT not head....

Edited by Metus regem, 24 April 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#960 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 April 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

Personally since the cMG is only .25 tons each, I'd be more inclined to drop the cERML's for ammo... as it is she can add cFF for an aditional .5t free space... On a side note, according to the record sheets for the Piranha 1 and 2, the cERSL in the 1 and cHSL in the 2, are both located in the CT not head....

Derp, just got up and am a bit scramble brained. Was thinking of the hellion, yeah, CT energy point for the small lasers.

93 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 93 guests, 0 anonymous users