Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#1121 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 September 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

I think we need a periphery themed mech pack.

Anubis and Marshall are given, but what 'Mechs would/should represent the heavy and assault class?

#1122 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 26 September 2017 - 01:17 AM, said:

Anubis and Marshall are given, but what 'Mechs would/should represent the heavy and assault class?

The Anubis? The Liao Light version of the Marik Hammer?
Wouldn't be a brigand be the better option?

The Rim Republic was Periphery - so what about Rampage and Dragoon?
Other options. Toro(35) and Phoenix (50); Rook(55), Ostwar(65) - and of course some primitives like Mackie and Bellerophon,

Edited by Karl Streiger, 26 September 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#1123 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:28 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 26 September 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

The Anubis? The Liao Light version of the Marik Hammer?
Wouldn't be a brigand be the better option?

The Rim Republic was Periphery - so what about Rampage and Dragoon?
Other options. Toro(35) and Phoenix (50); Rook(55), Ostwar(65) - and of course some primitives like Mackie and Bellerophon,

The Anubis looks much cooler. Posted Image

#1124 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

Re: Periphery pack...

So my choices for a Periphery Mech-pack would be:
  • Brigand (light)
  • Marshal (medium)
  • Merlin (heavy)
  • Charger (assault)
This list represents most of the Periphery well: Pirates and the Marian Hegemony (Brigand); the Magistracy of Canopus, the Taurian Concordat, and the Fronc Reaches (Marshal); the Outworld Alliance and Circinus Federation (Merlin). ...and the Charger is generally used in the Periphery.

The Anubis's role is very close to that of Javelin. The Brigand would offer more novelty in terms of gameplay, and I prefer its lore too.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Brigand

As far as medium Mechs are concerned, the Marshal would be the best choice I guess. There is also the Cronus; though not developed in the Periphery it was used there primarily. The same is true for the Lineholder. Both would be nice in MWO.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cronus
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lineholder

The Merlin is a heavy BattleMech and it was developed, produced and used in the Periphery. It would not be very good in MWO, but it is the Periphery-Mech. Unfortunately there is no other heavy that could be associated primarily with the Periphery since they were mostly using older IS Mechs.
http://www.sarna.net...in_(BattleMech)

The assault Mechs present a similar problem: no assault was ever developed in the Periphery - except the Rampage. The Rampage is extinct, but other than that a fine Mech.
However I would prefer the Charger. It was popular in the Periphery (for the simple reason that few wanted to have it in the IS) and it would be a good Mech in MWO with lots of variants.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger

Edited by FLG 01, 26 September 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#1125 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 26 September 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

The assault Mechs present a similar problem: no assault was ever developed in the Periphery - except the Rampage. The Rampage is extinct, but other than that a fine Mech.
However I would prefer the Charger. It was popular in the Periphery (for the simple reason that few wanted to have it in the IS) and it would be a good Mech in MWO with lots of variants.

It really cannot be stressed enough that the Charger would actually be decent to good in MWO, as well as a plethora of variants...

The more common speedy A1 being an energy boat, the A5 being a heavy ballistic / missile platform, the A9 being jumpy missile / energy boat....

#1126 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Rampage would be awesome!

#1127 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 September 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

I think we need a periphery themed mech pack.

I doubt that we are going to get a 4 mech pack anytime soon due to the reception of the Civil War era mechs (like the complaints of the Mad Cat Mk.2 walking animations). This was part of the reason why I was against the one mech a month type of deal, since I wanted the continuous flow of 1 clan/ 1 IS mech a month for each side. But hey, the majority wanted this old slow formula again so I guess reap what you have sown?

#1128 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 26 September 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

Re: Periphery pack...

So my choices for a Periphery Mech-pack would be:
  • Brigand (light)
  • Marshal (medium)
  • Merlin (heavy)
  • Charger (assault)
This list represents most of the Periphery well: Pirates and the Marian Hegemony (Brigand); the Magistracy of Canopus, the Taurian Concordat, and the Fronc Reaches (Marshal); the Outworld Alliance and Circinus Federation (Merlin). ...and the Charger is generally used in the Periphery.

The Anubis's role is very close to that of Javelin. The Brigand would offer more novelty in terms of gameplay, and I prefer its lore too.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Brigand

As far as medium Mechs are concerned, the Marshal would be the best choice I guess. There is also the Cronus; though not developed in the Periphery it was used there primarily. The same is true for the Lineholder. Both would be nice in MWO.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cronus
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lineholder

The Merlin is a heavy BattleMech and it was developed, produced and used in the Periphery. It would not be very good in MWO, but it is the Periphery-Mech. Unfortunately there is no other heavy that could be associated primarily with the Periphery since they were mostly using older IS Mechs.
http://www.sarna.net...in_(BattleMech)

I'm seeing a distinct lack of Toro's. I mean come on, we need the only mech to have all of it's chassis scrapped by the SL and then have it's factory blown to hell and back.

#1129 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 26 September 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I'm seeing a distinct lack of Toro's. I mean come on, we need the only mech to have all of it's chassis scrapped by the SL and then have it's factory blown to hell and back.

I prefer the Brigand for several reasons:
- the Toro only has two variants, and both are pretty much the same
- technically only one variant is even possible in MWO
- its builds are very close to the Raven, just slower
- it is in need of serious hardpoint inflation
- it is extinct

As cool as the Toro looks, (Invasion/FCCW-era) lore and gameplay are not its strong suits.

#1130 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 27 September 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

As cool as the Toro looks, (Invasion/FCCW-era) lore and gameplay are not its strong suits.

The same could be said about the Brigand. Due to its reliance on contraband it's production numbers are probably pretty low. The only thing it has going for itself is the weightclass.

#1131 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 September 2017 - 03:56 AM, said:

The same could be said about the Brigand. Due to its reliance on contraband it's production numbers are probably pretty low. The only thing it has going for itself is the weightclass.

The Brigand is common enough in the FCCW-era to be on the RATs of Pirates and the Marian Hegemony - which means it's common enough to be a representative Mech of those factions. That is a huge difference to "extinct", i.e. found nowhere.
Also it has JJ and good hardpoints, providing a new experience in this weight class, and one that is probably very good. Furthermore it has lots of variants. Again, a huge differences.

So no, 'the same' cannot possibly be said about those two Mechs.

Edited by FLG 01, 27 September 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#1132 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hip/waist mounted hardpoints aren't really "good" hardpoints, not even for a light 'Mech.

I agree, its better then extinct, but with production relying on stolen parts it's future is hardly secure (may I take a guess - to roll a Brigand you'd have to get a 2 or a 11/12?).

#1133 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 September 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

Hip/waist mounted hardpoints aren't really "good" hardpoints, not even for a light 'Mech.

I agree, its better then extinct, but with production relying on stolen parts it's future is hardly secure (may I take a guess - to roll a Brigand you'd have to get a 2 or a 11/12?).

Guys clearly the Nexus is the best choice. (Arguably it is) but in any case the Firestarter showed that low hardpoints aren't a big deal on mechs that are fast in your face brawler types. The Brigand would easily be good at this especially with JJ & ecm, same for the Nexus.

Honestly I don't see much purpose to adding the Toro from a gameplay perspective. Also Pgi has never released an extinct chassis, some of the in game mechs are rare to super rare but none are extinct.

#1134 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 September 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

Guys clearly the Nexus is the best choice. (Arguably it is) but in any case the Firestarter showed that low hardpoints aren't a big deal on mechs that are fast in your face brawler types. The Brigand would easily be good at this especially with JJ & ecm, same for the Nexus.

Honestly I don't see much purpose to adding the Toro from a gameplay perspective. Also Pgi has never released an extinct chassis, some of the in game mechs are rare to super rare but none are extinct.

We actually have quite a number of extinct Mech variants, but it is true that we have no extinct chassis. I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.
However if we look for Mechs which can represent the FCCW-era, Mechs with an RAT entry are the obvious choice, and extinct Mechs are an obviously bad choice.

If we look for powerful Mechs in MWO... well, the Toro might be a tad better than the Raven if given enough hardpoints. But then, 35 tons, geometry, and hardpoints don't exactly scream powerful.

If you want an extinct Mech, there are far better options like Rampage and Dragoon. Especially the latter could be downright meta. And they have some Periphery-ties.

The Nexus might be good, and if coupled with the Jackrabbit people get their extinct light Mech from the Periphery too. Posted Image
I am not sarcastic, I would take it at once.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 September 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

Actually, in the future (aka Jihad) the Brigand is found in more armies than before. In the FCCW, Pirates roll a 6 for the Brigand and the Marians a 12. Not a most common Mech indeed, unless you are a pirate, but still not 'the same' as totally extinct - not anywere near it. Nobody would be surprised to meet one. I mean, a Mech with multiple RAT entries must not be put in the same league as extinct Mechs.

Regarding the hardpoints, yes the position is not optimal, but there is also the factor of number and type (pre-inflation). And I personally never had much of a problem with hardpoint positions on light Mechs. Furthermore, let us not forget about JJs on a 25t unit, and the fact that there are a lot of variants. Those things are important for the gameplay.
Compare that to the Toro with its hardpoints and its possible builds. Sorry, I don't see them as 'the same' at all.

#1135 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 27 September 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

We actually have quite a number of extinct Mech variants, but it is true that we have no extinct chassis. I am not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.
However if we look for Mechs which can represent the FCCW-era, Mechs with an RAT entry are the obvious choice, and extinct Mechs are an obviously bad choice.

If we look for powerful Mechs in MWO... well, the Toro might be a tad better than the Raven if given enough hardpoints. But then, 35 tons, geometry, and hardpoints don't exactly scream powerful.

If you want an extinct Mech, there are far better options like Rampage and Dragoon. Especially the latter could be downright meta. And they have some Periphery-ties.

The Nexus might be good, and if coupled with the Jackrabbit people get their extinct light Mech from the Periphery too. Posted Image
I am not sarcastic, I would take it at once.

Actually, in the future (aka Jihad) the Brigand is found in more armies than before. In the FCCW, Pirates roll a 6 for the Brigand and the Marians a 12. Not a most common Mech indeed, unless you are a pirate, but still not 'the same' as totally extinct - not anywere near it. Nobody would be surprised to meet one. I mean, a Mech with multiple RAT entries must not be put in the same league as extinct Mechs.

Regarding the hardpoints, yes the position is not optimal, but there is also the factor of number and type (pre-inflation). And I personally never had much of a problem with hardpoint positions on light Mechs. Furthermore, let us not forget about JJs on a 25t unit, and the fact that there are a lot of variants. Those things are important for the gameplay.
Compare that to the Toro with its hardpoints and its possible builds. Sorry, I don't see them as 'the same' at all.

Haha yeah I made sure to say chassis and not just mech for that reason.

#1136 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

I do wonder outright why PGI doesn't spend some time and "release" a reinforcement package. The only issue might be cit splitting but they were able to circumvent this with the King Crab.

Only those with a different hard point layout - that might not be possible yet. Although with quirks some more mechs would be interesting (Spider with SnubNoose PPC)
  • LIghts:
    • Commando -4H (6M;2E)
    • Javelin 11F (6-8MGs 1 E)
    • Urban Mech R80 - pure Energy and ECM
    • Firestarter C and P (with missiles)
    • Wolfhound 3M LGR or WA with ECM
  • Medium
    • Vindicator 4L and 5L both with ECM and Stealth (drop the Sword on the 5 for MASC instead of TSM
    • Enforcer III series (higher engine cap) and a pure Energy Boat
    • Hunchback 5 and 6S (did I mentioned the crits for the LBX?)
    • Trebuchet 8B - faster Treb + 4 E + 4M
    • Big 55s have several new layouts (Griffin with ECM and 4 E-Weapons, LGR on most)
  • Heavy
    • Dragon - Grand Dragon nuff said
    • Alpha Lance +TDR - several (jump capable TDR with Gauss)
    • Quickdraw - ECM
    • Catapult - K2K - higher engine Cap
    • Grashopper PPC quirks and ECM
    • Catapract with MASC and ECM
  • Assault
    • Awesome - higher engine cap, ECM
    • Victor with 10L like K but with ECM or 10S HGR and GR
    • Zeus-WB and Zeus X 9WD
    • BattleMaster again several (ECM, Gauss Primary etc.
    • Stalker - 8S (Criticals)
    • Highlander with second ballistic section (Crits guys Crits)
    • Banshee with second ballistic section (or a faster 3S)
    • Atlas - Jump capable and ECM, or just a RS with ECM, 2 Missile locations, the Atlas II
    • King Crab obligatory ECM
Several possible upgrades are already ingame behinde the paywal (Sleipnir 11B; KingCrab with Energy in arms etc.)

#1137 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:02 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 27 September 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

I do wonder outright why PGI doesn't spend some time and "release" a reinforcement package.

But then what would they use in 2018's Annual Hostage Program?

#1138 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 28 September 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

But then what would they use in 2018's Annual Hostage Program?

MWO in 2018 is an utopian dream Posted Image

#1139 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

#1140 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Arcas Battlemech - Good hitboxes, decent firepower, 5 jumpjets, 86.4 kph stock 325 engine, 13.5 friggin tons of armor on a heavy.

I know this will never make it in game (clan 65t trifecta), but hey at least through all of these mech threads, ive found my totem mech.

Edited by JackalBeast, 29 September 2017 - 10:49 AM.

41 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users