Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#1221 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostAsriel Dreemur, on 25 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Call it overengined, but at least it has a different speed than the Stormcrow, unlike the Vapor Eagle. Afaik the SCR and Vapor Eagle (its designation isn't listed on Sarna) have the exact same podspace, so the only difference would be hardpoints and their placement. They're still different Mechs, but not as different as the Lanner and Crow.

I'll keep it brief: the Vapor Eagle is a BattleMech, not an Omni. That means you can change the engine. If you really want that 385 of the Black Lanner, you can get it on the Vapor Eagle too. Also, the Clans don't have a 55t BattleMech...

View PostAsriel Dreemur, on 25 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

How dare you downtalk the Hellspawn! Didn't you ever play MW4?! I have a good build for it right here, in fact (the BAP is a placeholder for the ECM): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1ec5f306fdf3a5

Yes, I have played it 17 years ago. I got over it.

As a BattleTech fan I care for the role of a Mech in the lore, and as an MWO player I also care somewhat about the potential performance of a Mech in game. However I don't care very much about what game featured a Mech previously.

#1222 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

With all due respect, all this chit-chat about various mechs is really just a distraction from why the Hollander is getting so many votes. Lets face it, the scaling system is absolute garbage(especially for skinny humanoids. Gee, I wonder what the top voted Lights all have in common?).

#1223 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 25 October 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

With all due respect, all this chit-chat about various mechs is really just a distraction from why the Hollander is getting so many votes. Lets face it, the scaling system is absolute garbage(especially for skinny humanoids. Gee, I wonder what the top voted Lights all have in common?).

Well there's nothing meta about the Hollander.

#1224 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 October 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

And do you know why it is the top voted IS Light? Very simply, most of the votes for it aren't from actual Light pilots. I guarantee, a good 97% of all votes for the Hollander are coming from the Anti-Light Potato coalition, who are trying to get it in because they know it's going to be a garbage mech, and as such they are mass spamming votes on it so that it gets added, then we won't get another chance for a Light for a good year and half, and these potatoes can take comfort knowing Light pilots will have gotten the shaft, again.

Edited by Requiemking, 25 October 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#1225 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Well, there is the whole high-mounted hardpoint thing...and that's about it. Especially because the Holly barely has the tonnage to do ballistics, assuming you want to match the Adder's speed (which is pretty low as it is). I'm calculating around 17 tons of pod space if you only go with 7 armor per arm and 11 armor on the head (also use Endo and FF, XL210).

On the semi-bright side you can actually get away with using SHS on this mech, so you have enough slots to fit IS FF. Still not enough pod space to make good use of ballistics though, especially IS ballistics...

In theory of course this little gundam could be given crazy levels of ballistic cooldown quirks to make it pack a nasty bite, but that seems very unlikely given PGI's stance on weapon quirks...

Edited by FupDup, 25 October 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#1226 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 October 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Well, there is the whole high-mounted hardpoint thing...and that's about it. Especially because the Holly barely has the tonnage to do ballistics, assuming you want to match the Adder's speed (which is pretty low as it is). I'm calculating around 17 tons of pod space if you only go with 7 armor per arm and 11 armor on the head (also use Endo and FF, XL210).

On the semi-bright side you can actually get away with using SHS on this mech, so you have enough slots to fit IS FF.

In theory of course this little gundam could be given crazy levels of ballistic cooldown quirks to make it pack a nasty bite, but that seems very unlikely given PGI's stance on weapon quirks...

High mounted hardpoints mean next to nothing when you are so bloated you look like a large medium.

Edited by Requiemking, 25 October 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#1227 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

On a side note, the Trick or Treat event details actually tell us that the next new mech grabdeal pack will be announced on November 1st.

https://mwomercs.com...nts?t=201710tot

Bottom of the page: "If you own any level of the (TBA November 1st) pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags."

#1228 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

Awful mech is awful... I look forward to rekting them.

#1229 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 October 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

On the semi-bright side you can actually get away with using SHS on this mech, so you have enough slots to fit IS FF. Still not enough pod space to make good use of ballistics though, especially IS ballistics...

They'll just give us a variant with 10 ballistic hardpoints in one shoulder.

#1230 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 October 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

On a side note, the Trick or Treat event details actually tell us that the next new mech grabdeal pack will be announced on November 1st.

https://mwomercs.com...nts?t=201710tot

Bottom of the page: "If you own any level of the (TBA November 1st) pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags."

Clan Medium is it - so Black Lanner or Hellhound.....I bet 4/6 for the Hellhound

#1231 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 October 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Clan Medium is it - so Black Lanner or Hellhound.....I bet 4/6 for the Hellhound

If you want to bet, try here Posted Image

Also, leave my Hollander alone!

(No, I didn't learn my lesson with the Uziel...)

#1232 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:37 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 25 October 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

I'll keep it brief: the Vapor Eagle is a BattleMech, not an Omni. That means you can change the engine. If you really want that 385 of the Black Lanner, you can get it on the Vapor Eagle too. Also, the Clans don't have a 55t BattleMech...

As a BattleTech fan I care for the role of a Mech in the lore, and as an MWO player I also care somewhat about the potential performance of a Mech in game. However I don't care very much about what game featured a Mech previously.

Thank you!

I was also going to add: Just because you used the Black Lanner in MW4 does not actually mean you know it well. MW4's BLanner was so far off the reservation as far as actual capabilities, it is meaningless to claim to know it. No 360 degree torso twist. No room for guns aside from massed ERSLas and supplemental splat. It would need the durability quirks of a high end heavy mech to approach viability, just like how the Linebacker required the durability of an assault to become mildly popular in use.

#1233 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostCK16, on 24 October 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

The Nightstar is pretty much a Marauder II, can we please take a break from the Marauder series for a bit?
[...]

Only if I can trade my nightstar in for a proper MAD II :P (jk)

#1234 Kijiro Bugboy

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 25 October 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

For some reason I didn't stop to think that it was a BattleMech. My bad. I also didn't know the Vape had that high of an engine cap. Does it have MASC capability?

View PostPariah Devalis, on 26 October 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

Thank you!

I was also going to add: Just because you used the Black Lanner in MW4 does not actually mean you know it well. MW4's BLanner was so far off the reservation as far as actual capabilities, it is meaningless to claim to know it. No 360 degree torso twist. No room for guns aside from massed ERSLas and supplemental splat. It would need the durability quirks of a high end heavy mech to approach viability, just like how the Linebacker required the durability of an assault to become mildly popular in use.

Are they really that different? I suppose the Lanner was more conventional in that game, and 4 broke a lot of rules with OmniMechs anyways, as well as Mech customization in general.

Still don't know whether I wanna change my vote though. I feel like it'd be easier for Alex to make the Lanner look cool than the Eagle. The BL just looks so nice naturally, or maybe that's just personal taste/nostalgia talking.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 26 October 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#1235 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

View PostAsriel Dreemur, on 26 October 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I also didn't know the Vape had that high of an engine cap.

The Vapor Eagle has a stock engine rating of 330.
The only BattleMechs in game with a stock engine rating of 330 are;
Cicada Hero "X-5" with a cap of 340
Victor Hero "Dragon Slayer" with a cap of 400

Looking at 320 & 340 ratings....
Cicada, 320, caps at 340
Awesome AWS-9M, 320, caps at 385
Victor, 320, caps at 385
Zeus, 320, caps at 390 (Hero "Skokomish" caps at 400)
Awesome Hero "Pretty Baby", 340, caps at 400
BattleMaster. 340, caps at 400
Marauder IIC, 340, caps at 400

385 - 400 looks likely for the Vapor Eagle, so very likely it will be able to go as fast, if not faster, than the Black Lanner outside of MASC use.

#1236 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Well...since all the IS Mechs that came out after Resistance II where either DOA like the poor poor Nightstar or got the sh.. nerfed out of them after performing decently for some time (like the BlackKnight or the Annihilator) after their release and since I am not interested in buying more of those overpowered Clan mechs that I do not enjoy playing due to their narrowmindedness ---> Laservomit and stuff....well I do not care anymore for new Mechs.

Edited by The Basilisk, 26 October 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#1237 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 26 October 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Clan mechs that I do not enjoy playing due to their narrowmindedness ---> Laservomit and stuff....well I do not care anymore for new Mechs.

MAD-IIC-A 3 UAC5s 2 ER PPCs 19 DHS
HGN-IIC-C 2 UAC10s 2 ER PPCs
ACW - surms
NCT-Prime - Super stock
SNV-A ATM48, SL back up

Some non-laser vomit fun, effective Clan mech choices from my garage :)

Also I will say that a Nightstar wtih 1 UAC20 and 2 UAC10s seems to routinely **** out damage. Every time I am in a tough match with a Gauss vomit Nightstar though, I just end up wishing I was in a Mad Cat Mk. II or a Dire Wolf.

#1238 Kijiro Bugboy

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Ehh screw it, I'm changing my Clan Medium vote to the Vapor Eagle for practicality's sake. Still no Rabid Coyote. :/

#1239 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostAsriel Dreemur, on 26 October 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Ehh screw it, I'm changing my Clan Medium vote to the Vapor Eagle for practicality's sake. Still no Rabid Coyote. :/

Plus, the VPE-3 design is gorgeous:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 27 October 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#1240 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 October 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Plus, the VPE-3 design is gorgeous:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Man that look nearly similar to the redesign Incubus 4