Necessary Roughness Event

712 replies to this topic

#561 Fraterna

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thanks PGI to lower the requirement of the mechbay to 7.
was really frustrated, i was able to do everything except the "Delivery Failed" Challenge. whatever mech i played, never was able to soot down one of the batterycarriers.

Edited by Fraterna, 25 April 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#562 Tiger Dad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

7 of 9 now? Then what about those that got all 9? Lotsa effort on those that DID get all 9. Don't wanna seem like a doosh but I worked for it.
<edit> enh, forget it. At least they made a hot Jeri Ryan reference....

Edited by Tiger Dad, 25 April 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#563 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

Egads, they changed the requirement to 7 of 9. Thank you for listening. Tip my hat PGI. Now sell me a piranha mech pack. I got some money to spend.

#564 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

THANK YOU, PGI. I had completed every challenge except for that Kerensky-forsaken "kill the battery carrier" and had resigned myself to being unable to accomplish it before the timer ran out.

Then I refreshed the event page and saw the change made. I really appreciate this. The additional 'Mech bay helps me out quite a bit.

I don't mind the Incursion game mode. It forces teams to do something other than simply kill everyone else, and the team working as a unit is what playing is really about. Kudos to you and yours.

#565 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for tweaking the challenge!
"Delivery failed" was creative, but too much based on luck.

I like the new mode, but I am afraid the skirmish mentality of players is hard to overcome.

#566 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

So far as I can tell, the reward for getting 9/9 is to be stuck in the designated losing team by the matchmaker all day. So, yay?

#567 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for free mech bay, devs. But next time please try to do events less luck-dependent!

#568 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hello all!

First:
I want to say sorry for the frustration this event caused everyone. It was not my intention at all.

Second:
We very briefly extended the event to adjust the "All Done" Challenge to only require 7 of 9 challenges complete.
This change allowed players to get the Mech Bay without having to complete the dreaded "Failed Delivery" or "Necessary Roughness" Challenges.
The "extension" was to give the script the chance to run one final time. and the Mechbays were injected.

However, that is not all we are doing.

As a Consolation Prize anyone who completed 1 Match of Incursion with a minimum Match Score of at least 80 (during the Event) will receive the following rewards as our way of saying sorry for the frustration caused by this event.

Consolation Prize -
Anyone who completed 1 Match of Incursion with a minimum Match Score of at least 80 during the event will receive 250,000 C-Bills, 200 MC, and 2 days of Active Premium Time (activates on your next log in).
That covers 99.5 % of the people who played this weekend!

In the interest of transparency...
Here are some additional Completion Stats
First Foray 86.3243%
I've Got The Power 28.1888%
Powered Up 26.2549%
Rock'em 67.9991%
Sock'em 60.2637 %
Delivery Failed 22.1744%
All Your Base 26.0837%
Raid Complete 55.9565 %
Necessary Roughness 57.6313%
All Done 25.3528% (before we changed the requirements)

Lesson Learned:
I based the Actions in the Challenge off 1 days worth of stats from the new Game Mode. More Data would clearly have been preferable.
We needed a way to increase the frequency of a particular Game Mode as a voting option. Currently, we can only adjust Map weighting. However, Mode weighting functionality should arrive with our May patch, so in future mode-related events we won't have this particular issue again.

We hope everyone enjoys the Consolation Prize as things return to normal in the Quick Play Queue.
Our next event will target Faction play....
Rally your Units and Lock in your contracts...

#569 Tiger Dad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hi Matt,
Thank you for the event and creativity. I think it's fine that it went "creative", I'd rather err on the side of trying to be interesting than having the same old same old. Especially since you are willing to change the event criteria. It wasn't the first time and I hope it won't be the last time. I applaud the attempt to be creative and fun. Thank you for the hard work.

#570 Mocosloco

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Thanks PGI for the change!

Now back to my regularly scheduled complaining about changing 100 mechs skills around!

#571 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for changing the requested goals.

Not that I needed that extra mechbay, but it is nice to see that you are listening to the players.

Regards

#572 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

I know a lot of people are quicker to complain than say thank you, but I don't want to be one of those people Posted Image

Thanks Matt Newman for easing up on the requirements for the mechbay, it didn't mean much to me (I have a few empties from sales and will be cutting bait on some old mechs once the new skill tree goes live) but I know for a lot of folks each free mech bay is like mana from heaven.

With respect to mode weighting, that should help a ton, but I would echo the suggestions that many people have had in various discussions: the vote screen should allow you to vote for game mode first, and then vote for map second. If the eligible map choices were generated after picking your game mode, it wouldn't put an artificial limiter on any game modes that aren't supported by all maps. (It would also limit the situations where you get the map you want, but a game mode that is horrible for that particular map... also is Assault finally going away now that Incursion is in? Assault is just Skirmish with a small chance of no combat occuring :( )

I know a lot of people still want to be able to pick their mech after the map/mode vote occurs, but I don't think that's necessary. At best, I'd say let people lock in their chassis when they queue up, and then pick a variant after they know the map. This would add value to anyone who still has 3-5 variants of each chassis once the skill tree goes live and you don't need to level up 3x variants anymore.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 25 April 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#573 Xiellify

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the consideration even though I did get to complete the challenges, not all players (them stats!) could make it especially since others do not have enough time to play n number of games. Kudos!

#574 repete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Matt. Luckily I managed to complete the challenge under the earlier conditions, but no doubt many will appreciate the gesture here.

I'd imagine the infrequency of Incursion matches was the primary frustration here. So many people were saying they just weren't getting Incursion matches, as as you've said, there wasn't much you could do there at the moment.

After the frequency of the matches, the next largest frustration I was hearing people say was how many were chasing Delivery Failed. I'd imagine this was exacerbated by the infrequency of Incursion matches, but as to that specific item itself, the battery carriers were often lights, meaning most 'Mechs were unable to catch them.

Two questions if I may:

* Are there any sort of guiding principles behind events? The reason I ask is, I remember player discussions from prior events when people were saying "This particular achievement is too difficult" (Though I don't remember what it was), and other would reply "It's not a freebie giveaway. You have to earn it". The reason I ask about the principles is, are the elements of the events seen as ones where, if you try long enough you will get it, or are they, if you try hard enough you'll get it? I'd have the imagine the former would be harder for people who don't have a lot of free time, and the latter would be harder for newer players.

* Any idea why some (Like myself) were able to complete the challenge relatively quickly, while others struggled? I'm wondering if people with less 'Mechs have a harder time. Say someone who likes assaults and heavies might not have any/many lights, making some of the achievements in this comp harder(?) Or people who've only got 15 minutes here, and 15 minutes there have no show given the frequency of Incursion matches(?) Though people who don't have a lot of time probably often can't finish these challenges. It was just so odd to hear so many people say "I'm not getting Incursion matches" when I'd already finished the challenge, and made me feel bad in a way. Posted Image

Edited by repete, 25 April 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#575 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Merci beaucoup for the 200 mcs.

#576 Yurok Forever

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Why to do event if there is no opportunity to vote for this mode? I have stopped passing it as have understood that there are no chances.

#577 TheSneakyFlea

Rookie

• The Mercenary
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

o7 PGI. Thank you for the consolation prize. Cheers!

#578 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Not sure what you're saying Yurok. The event is over now, and Incursion will continue to show up in the map vote the same as any other game mode. There will still be plenty of times where it's not available to be voted on.

#579 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Thanks, Matt Newman and all other people from PGI, love this game and the community.Posted Image
Never see in other games that dev and player have such a close bond.Posted Image

Edited by Apollo777, 25 April 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#580 BabkaBond

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

Thank you for a new game mode(its pretty cool) and consolation prize. But after 1 completed Incursion match, ive recieved only 1 day of premium Posted Image

Edited by BabkaBond, 25 April 2017 - 01:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users