I Am Just Couious. How Long Have You Been Playing Mwo? Will You Leave Mwo If This Skill Tree Is Droped On Live Servers?

188 replies to this topic

#1 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

12th round invite (almozt made it til 13) beta invite.

Will be playing more when this skill tree hits and picking up a pack or two.

#2 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Playing for a year and a half(roughly). Will I stop playing, no.

Will I spend less on the game, probably.

Will I spend less because I'm mad, no.

Will I spend less because I have absolutely no need for premium time, yes.

Why will I need no premium time, GSP.

Edit: Current amount spent on the game approximately $550

Edited by mycroft000, 27 April 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#3 OMCBOONE

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

I have been playing 1 year and no I will not walk. Its a fun game and even with a new system in place I can embrace change and learn to adapt. Im surprised a lot of you hardcore people are so bent out of shape. I understand you put a lot of time into the game but still.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,880 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:22 AM

2 year on this account plus an initial foray in late 2013.

No I will not leave MWO after the skills tree drops.
I'll just shelve all my low tier IS mechs and finally abandon the idiocy that is being an IS loyalist, buy a Hunchback IIc, or maybe a Nova, along with a Night Gyr and maybe a Mad IIC and go merc (just like everyone else appear to already have).

That's what PGI calls encouraging player choice and increasing mech diversity, and who am I to argue? I shall simply embrace the game that they appear to want us to play: "Metamechs Online"

Edit: oh...and the wallet will remain closed until my Quickdraws are useful beyond running 3 stupid lpls.

Edited by Bud Crue, 27 April 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#5 CouchDweller

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

Why will you stop playing exactly? I feel like PGI is doing a good job at addressing and making sure progress wont be lost when transferred over. Unless its for another reason?

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

To be completely honest, even if you're not a fan of the new skill tree, I can't see it as something to quit over unless you're right on the edge anyways... or have already drifted away and want an excuse. Yeah, if you've got a lot of mechs (I certainly do!) it'll be a LOT of clicking, but *shrugs* it's not like it'll be the first time I do a lot of clicking in a game =) But ultimately, it's not going to have a serious impact on actual gameplay. Some balance changes (some good, some bad) but that's an inevitability and happens all the time anyways.

I've been playing since November 2013. I've largely stopped while waiting for the new skill tree, because it's going to give me something interesting to do with all my hundreds of mechs. Knowing things are changing makes me less interested in playing in the current system.

But, I'm sure some will threaten to quit. Every time anything new happens, people threaten to quit. Occassionally, someone actually does (most of the time, it's just more empty threats). *shrugs*

We needed a new skill system. The existing one is objectively bad, including skills that simply do literally nothing at all, and requiring people to buy three of a chassis to skill it up. While I certainly have complaints about the new system, at least the skill nodes [should] work, and I can FINALLY just buy a mech and skill it up, vs. having to buy three, grind three, then sell the ones I don't want at a huge loss.

#7 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

Nope i would not i like the niche game where you can customize your weapon loadout, it half the fun and the reason why i gave MWO a try. Although i have critics about the skill tree it not where i want to trow it out or stop pgi from releasing it. the bigges complain i have atm is the respec sinkhole they created it nuisance with no benefit for anybody.

Reason to leave the game actually finding similar game about customization, like i am hoping battletech will fill that eventually. (i aint really fps fan so i dont mind battletech is strategy based i actually prefer it. to much hours gonne playing XCOM Posted Image )

#8 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Five months

More than likely I will leave the game if the tree goes live with the web. If they make it linear I'll come back if I'm still keeping an eye on the game. I just don't like the web and I don't like using it. I don't see the point in being forced to follow the dev cookie cutter instead of making the build the way I want.

Not sure yet if I'll cancel my pre-orders and let them stand. I have the founder pack and I enjoy collecting BT stuff so I might just let the pre-orders stand in case they do make a more acceptable version of the tree later.

I walked away from WoT after three years and hundreds (thousand?) of dollars because the game play was no longer fun. I can walk away from this game as well if it is no longer fun.

#9 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Ive been playing since just after founders mechs got cancelled... so ..

Will I walk away... no, I no longer feel I will be penalized for owning the massive mech stable I do.

Am I planning to buy more stuff.... probably

I am still slightly sore about being called a cheapskate by the CEO after spending hundreds of dollars of real cash on this game. I own 330 ish mechs... 95% or more are mastered.

I feel the new skill tree is quite a bit of an improvement over the old one. It is something to build on. I would really have liked to see the firepower idea that Sohlama posted get implemented as a really simple balance tool. I am hopeful for the future of the game.

#10 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

I started playing about 14 months ago.

I loved MWO when I first picked it up. I was pouring money into the game because I was so fond of it.

Then Russler pooped on the Minimap.

..and rescaled IS lights so large that my sweet little Firestarters were unplayable.

..and started dropping nuclear bombs into FP.

..and invented a 4 man queue, in FP, that usually ends up giving the other team major advantages in the fight.

..and removed the quirks from a lot of halfway decent mechs on the IS side.

..and ignored basically all the feedback from two FP Roundtables, which were actually just sales pitches.

..and decided to shoehorn Quickplay modes into FP, so I never actually get to play Invasion matches in the Invasion mode.

..and came up with Energy Draw, which was a gross abomination that should never see the light of day, even on another PTS.

..and now they're removing three fourths of the quirks on the underperforming mechs, which directly screws over players that have a mech roster mostly or exclusively made up of IS mechs.

..while shoving a Skill Maze down our throats.

-----

I stopped spending money after the Minimap went full We Todd.

I cut my playtime and started playing some other games when ED went to the PTS.

I cut my playtime when FP died, just like we said it would, after Russler threw everyone into QP-With-Respawns.

..and now that most of the IS mechs are getting major nerfs from their quirk removals while Clan mechs that had no quirks to even remove are receiving the same number of skill nodes as the nerfed IS mechs.. hell.. I play maybe three or four hours in a week.

Once the Skill Maze comes, I probably won't feel like opening the game back up until after new tech arrives.. and that's just so I can see for myself how badly PGI completely screws it up.

I have other games to play. I'll be sad to lose contact with some of the friends that I've made in MWO, but it's a big world filled with billions of people and thousands of online and offline games to play.

(Do note that if the Skill Maze turns into a Skill Tree or Skill Bars.. and if PGI decides to let the IS keep some of their quirks that allow some semblance of balance to exist in the game, that I'll gladly start playing more often. I still love Battletech; I'm still fond of Mechwarrior.. but I despise the direction that Russler keeps trying to shove the game into.)

#11 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Nope no plans on leaving, even if it'll be a pain in the rear to find the optima path for each mech. At least I won't have to buy 3 of the same mech just to get the most out of it anymore.

#12 - Pestilence -

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Little more than 3 years and im also not going anywhere.

#13 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts
  • Location77th Black Wolves

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

I tested the new skill tree. I like it and wont leave, but bath in some more saltPosted Image

#14 joergen

• PipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

17 Month. Won't leave.

View PostWintersdark, on 27 April 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

We needed a new skill system. The existing one is objectively bad, including skills that simply do literally nothing at all, and requiring people to buy three of a chassis to skill it up. While I certainly have complaints about the new system, at least the skill nodes [should] work, and I can FINALLY just buy a mech and skill it up, vs. having to buy three, grind three, then sell the ones I don't want at a huge loss.

Exactly this.

If they come up with a better Mechpack-model suited towards the new skillsystem, i'm willing on spending even more money than now. (which is not that much to be fair) Posted Image

#15 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostOMCBOONE, on 27 April 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

I have been playing 1 year and no I will not walk. Its a fun game and even with a new system in place I can embrace change and learn to adapt. Im surprised a lot of you hardcore people are so bent out of shape. I understand you put a lot of time into the game but still.

It's like this every time. It's the nature of the MWO community.

I've been playing since closed beta and I'll still be playing the game and spending money on it after the skill tree drops.

Edited by ForceUser, 27 April 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#16 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

2,5 years, have no idea how much I spend on MWO, roughly around 300-400$ I assume.

I kinda quit already after the first PTS, when it became obvious PGI will sink the game eventually. Might play some matches during events, but the more I think about it, less I want to. Assuming PGI will implement STree as it is now, there is no way I'll spend more than a minute to deal with a skill allocation.

Edit: Actually no, no way I will return to MWO with a skilltree like that, HBSs Battletech will arrive soon so I will be able to pacify Battletech fan inside me.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 27 April 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#17 Vieric

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Don't have a fancy tag or anything to show for it, but I've been around since the closed beta. Would this be enough to make me leave...well, yes and no. Certainly not permanently under any circumstances but if the skill tree is bad enough (and in its current state I feel its pretty bad) I may leave for 6-12 months till they iron out some of the worst bits, and if they never do by then at least the dust will have settled and i can go looking into how to live with it.

The thing is, both parties are a bit at fault here, most builds and tactics revolve around flavor of the day "meta" and because of that I know all this skilltree is going to do is make the cookie cutter builds even worse than they are now. But in PGI's defense, what do you do about that as a developer? you nerf the meta, have the players scream at you and then proceed to jump to a new "meta" and the process repeats. so you play whack-a-mole....with lots of bad blood and screaming.

The reason I bring the meta topic up is because I feel it's a big reason this is going to fall flat on its face, most people here feel they "need" to roll a meta build or they aren't competitive, not everyone, but its a problem that exists all the same and because of that we as a playerbase trend towards our own "tried and true" (cookie cutter) stuff instead of trying new things.

As for PGI, their main fault is that they don't make enough effort to understand their playerbase, and seem to prefer to work against them rather than with them, enough said, really.

Edited by Vieric, 27 April 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#18 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

won't leave, will be pissed tho. The lower values for the CD bonuses vs weapon modules means that my single PPC mechs will be off tempo and play slower despite the fact that they were way more fun then they were effective, to begin with.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 27 April 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#19 Flint N Steel

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

After looking at this skill tree and the extreme restrictions they are putting on how many nodes can be active at once, yes I will leave the game. I am a Legendary Founder and have been playing since it launched and if I remember correctly I was in the tail end of the Beta as well. So basically nearly 4 years at this point.

This skill tree is nonsense. You are limited to 91 nodes out of 242. You are forced to activate nodes that you may not even want or need on a particular mech just to get at something your really do want. Additionally, you cannot come even CLOSE to having the same amount of benefit on a mech with this skill tree versus having Mastered it in the current system and putting on of modules. This is due to how limited you are on the amount of nodes that can be active at any one time.

For example, right now if you have a mech mastered (really elited) you get double the basic benefits of heat reduction, turning, etc. With the skill tree you have to allocate an active node to get all those and it takes a lot of them to get up to where you are at now.

You would literally have to pick and choose what limited benefits you are going to have. Between weaponry, survivability, etc. You can't even come close to having all pertinent nodes active to make you mech anything close to what it is now.

Why the hell would I want to play a game that is going to essentially nerf every single mech that I have? Why are you changing a system that already works good?

#20 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostFlint N Steel, on 27 April 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

After looking at this skill tree and the extreme restrictions they are putting on how many nodes can be active at once, yes I will leave the game. I am a Legendary Founder and have been playing since it launched and if I remember correctly I was in the tail end of the Beta as well. So basically nearly 4 years at this point.

This skill tree is nonsense. You are limited to 91 nodes out of 242. You are forced to activate nodes that you may not even want or need on a particular mech just to get at something your really do want. Additionally, you cannot come even CLOSE to having the same amount of benefit on a mech with this skill tree versus having Mastered it in the current system and putting on of modules. This is due to how limited you are on the amount of nodes that can be active at any one time.

For example, right now if you have a mech mastered (really elited) you get double the basic benefits of heat reduction, turning, etc. With the skill tree you have to allocate an active node to get all those and it takes a lot of them to get up to where you are at now.

You would literally have to pick and choose what limited benefits you are going to have. Between weaponry, survivability, etc. You can't even come close to having all pertinent nodes active to make you mech anything close to what it is now.

Why the hell would I want to play a game that is going to essentially nerf every single mech that I have? Why are you changing a system that already works good?

PGI is capitulating to the increase Time To Kill crowd. They don't seem to understand that balancing with nerfs is much more frustrating than balancing with buffs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users