34 replies to this topic

#1 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

Posted Image

But now heres a civil, logical post for you to discuss / think about.

This post is mainly about changes to the GHR-5P but I will mention the Black Knight losing 15% range aswell.

Quotes from townhall 7 days ago.

"As far as the grasshopper 5P, I know theres another 5P question right after this, but err, you know guys at the end of the day the mechs have to be balanced against the greater lineup of all of the mechs available to you, not just, you know within the context of the other 75 or 70 ton line in the case of the grasshopper but also within the chassis line aswellbut also you know it isn't a stretch for me to say a lot of people considered that the strongest grasshopper chassis out there and in a sense, it was not balanced with the rest of the grasshopper lineup available and were trying to essentially not just balance all of the mechs across the different chassis we have but also the variants within the individual chassis themselves, and we come at it from both directions, we dont just remove what is there, we bring up the low performers aswell, where the 5P got nerfed the 5J pretty much got its armor pretty much increased compared to what it was before."

"Well, to speak to the hero tankiness, we didnt remove the grasshopper 5p tankiness only to give it to the hero mech we actually increased the 5j to pretty much have identical armor quirks to the mjolnir hero, so there is essentially a cbill version that is just as tanky as the hero mech if its avaiable but in case of the 5p the 5p has those 4 high mounted torso energy hardpoints and a lot of the range quirks and things with natural geometry going for it compared to the rest of the grasshopper line, so its also the top performing grasshopper that is performing outside of where we want the overall balance curve to pretty much be, we dont neccessarily want to bait and switch people to buy the hero, but we do want to make sure we have better parity within the context of the overall line, so if you do want that tankiness in the grasshopper, the 5j has the same basically the exact same armor quirks as the mjolnir, and even with the mjolnir we keep these heroes under very tight observation upon release and if the mulnir is seen to be performing to well we might see a reduction at a later date."

Sean interrupts "dont touch my mech" other's "yeah Sean loves it". (Of course he loves it, its replacing the 5P with better stats and options.)

"we try to make changes that better balance not just the chassis line but also the inner variant dynamics so where as the 5p is naturally good at offence capabilities with those high mounted quirks (believe he meant hardpoints) we felt that it also getting substantial tankiness through the structure quirks was a little bit too much for it when it was overperforming and so we basically took those and put armor quirks on some of the lower performing ones and hopefully bring better balance between the differet variants that are there. And as far as the new hero's that are introduced we do try to make sure that it is somewhat similar to the other mechs in the line, like the mjolnir doesn't have as many high mounts as the 5P for example, but were not against essentially changing it if its proving to be too much outside of the spectrum for all the grasshoppers are performing."

So heres the big problems with what was said.
- The 2 high mounts are available of both the 5P and the Mjolnir
- The 5P has 2 nipple mounts, the mjolnir has 2 arm mounts, the arm mounts can be argued to be better than the nipple mounts for the ER large build as it allows you to shoot up/down mountains with 2 weapons, which the 5P cannot do, or shoot down uav's with the LPL build.
- The 5P was never used to hill poke with the high mounts and nipple mounts, it is a 6 ER large build that exposed the whole mech or a 350 meter brawl full expose mech not a hill high mount poker.
- Both the 5P and the mjolnir can do the 2 builds that made the 5P good, the 5J can do NEITHER. So any argument to defend the removal of 5P armor for the mjolnir to get the armor involving the 5J getting the armor as well is null and void.
- The only way the 5J could be considered an armor alternative is if you give it more energy hardpoints in arms, the 2 in torso make 6 ER impossible and 6 slots is not enough for the 7 energy lpl build.

I will Agree that the 5P was overperforming vs many other mechs in similar weight class/role, but you have simply chucked it into the dumpster by doing surgery with a claymore, to replace it with a Pay to play mech.

If you truly believe what you said at the townhall then this game is in more trouble than I thought, you have completely missed what made the mech good or you are simply pulling a bait and switch which of course the company has to deny and I can understand that I guess but its still disconcerting for where things are heading if thats the case.

Pictures speak a thousand words.

The mjolnir in image does not have a laser in CT hardpoint to show that mount but it exists.
Posted Image

The armor bonus should have been reduced, not removed, or if removed the Range increased back up to give each variant a specific neiche like you said you wanted while answering the Black Knight range reduction from 15% to 0 question, if you want variance that black knight should have kept its 15% range and lost its armor, it would have made more sense.
Posted Image

Smurfy's showing Mjolnir does both builds that made the 5P requiring a rebalance without any detriment over the 5P except 5% range which is not what made the mech good, (it had reduced duration and greater range quirks before skill tree) 5P's armor stats should have been made slightly less than the Mjolnir not removed completely to balance that "5% range" its like going at surgery with Claymore Broadsword when you need a scaple.
Posted Image

Hope this post actually gets read and helps lead to better balance changes in the future, though I doubt it.
My 3 5P's will sit in the dumpster heap and maybe eventually sold.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 01 July 2017 - 03:40 AM.

#2 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:57 AM

Those nipple mounts are way better than the arm mounts. Height is king.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

View PostMoomtazz, on 01 July 2017 - 03:57 AM, said:

Those nipple mounts are way better than the arm mounts. Height is king.

Yep.

Cado,

You lost me right here:

View PostCadoazreal, on 01 July 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

- The 5P has 2 nipple mounts, the mjolnir has 2 arm mounts, the arm mounts can be argued to be better than the nipple mounts for the ER large build as it allows you to shoot up/down mountains with 2 weapons, which the 5P cannot do, or shoot down uav's with the LPL build.

The 5N and the 5J suck not because of quirks or lack thereof, but because of their reliance upon arm mounts. I cannot see the argument.

As to the nerf of the 5P. Every Grasshopper BUT the 5P was nerffed at least twice in 2016 (once following rescale and then again in July). The 5P was left alone both times despite being thee meta IS long range energy trader before, during and well after that period. I think it got nerffed now not because of any BS justification about comparative options across a weight class or whatever they were yapping about, but rather because they finally started looking at actual in game data; something which they always had claimed to be doing but obviously weren't. The 5p got nerffed because it was the best at doing what it does. That's why it was nerffed. Nothing more to it than that.

#4 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 01 July 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

The 5N and the 5J suck not because of quirks or lack thereof, but because of their reliance upon arm mounts. I cannot see the argument.

The J sucks because 2 of its energy hardpoints are CT and it only has 6 meaning you cant do either good build.

The mech was not a hill poke with 3 waist high hardpoints, both mechs have to expose to the waist.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 01 July 2017 - 05:11 AM.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 01 July 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

The J sucks because 2 of its energy hardpoints are CT and it only has 6 meaning you cant do either good build.

The mech was not a hill poke with 3 waist high hardpoints, both mechs have to expose to the waist.

Yes, that is certainly one factor. The other being the 4 mounts in the arms. I just don't see those arm mounts every being argued "to be better than nipple mounts".

#6 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

my favourite 5P build was always 3xLPL + 3-4 ML - and it definitely did that build better than any other before quirks because all 3 LPLs are high mounted.

However in true PGI style they have drastically overnerfed it, and now id just go back to using the WHM-6D without any question. The only GHRs id use now are either the Mjolnir, or a 5H build with 2 high mount HPPCs.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

PGI should not have nerfed both 5P's offensive and defensive quirks. Now the mech is inferior than Warhammer. There is no point in using it anymore, especially since BLR-1G exists.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 July 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

PGI should not have nerfed both 5P's offensive and defensive quirks. Now the mech is inferior than Warhammer. There is no point in using it anymore, especially since BLR-1G exists.

Yep. Now don't you worry though, when they get to the review of the Warhammers and Battlemasters using the logic applied to the Hoppers, both will lose their capabilities as well. How was it phrased again?..."we try to make changes that better balance not just the chassis line but also the inner variant dynamics". If that is truth, and that is their goal, then any statistical performance outlier that is even remotely superior to "all the mechs available to you" is gonna get smacked with the nerf bat; and that smack will be harder than it needs to be if history (and the newest smack to the 5P) is any guide.

#9 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Grasshopper!!!!
http://cdn.quotesgra...57-kungfu22.jpg

#10 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Honestly, the 5P is still great even after the nerf. It might have the best damn hitboxes in the game on a heavy mech. Do the boxer roll when people get in close to you and you're damn near invincible even with an XL. I just today pulled a 1300 damage game with it even though my team was awful and got rolled 12-2.

I won't touch any of the other GHRs because of the arm hardpoints. Dropping armor in the arms to 0 because you can mount everything you need in the high torso hardpoints is amazing.

#11 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

65 ton clan mechs out class it. The balance pass on the 5P was overdone, can't call it balance pass across the chassis - it is just a plain ole nerf - and a pretty big one too. Gotta sell those hero's (yes I heard the town hall where Russ said they are independent. That was BS).

Is the Grasshopper unplayable? No, it is still a decently strong mech. But with its size and the nerfs there is no reason to take it over a Warhammer in most situations.

#12 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostLovas, on 01 July 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Is the Grasshopper unplayable? No, it is still a decently strong mech. But with its size and the nerfs there is no reason to take it over a Warhammer in most situations.

Not saying the Warhammer isn't a very strong chassis, but I can think of at least one reason to take the GHR over the WHM off the top of my head. Jump jets.

Part of the reason the GHR tanks so well is that as you're twisting you can spam your JJs to break up the opponent's aim. They'll also get you out of bad situations quicker.

On top of that, the Whammy's hitboxes are awful. I guess with LFEs that won't be as much of a problem, but you run an XL on that mech at your own peril.

I also think the GHRs lankiness helps it. Use your legs (those JJs coming into play again) to tank while getting shots over things other mechs, including the WHM, can't.

#13 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostCyrion, on 01 July 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Not saying the Warhammer isn't a very strong chassis, but I can think of at least one reason to take the GHR over the WHM off the top of my head. Jump jets.

Meh - you take too many JJ on the grasshopper and you are sacrificing either speed, firepower, or cooling ability. JJ are very situational. Very good to get into the dropzones on vitric forge or out of your spawn points on Grim plexus for example. Firepower and cooling on the other hand is good on every map/mode.

On top of that, the Whammy's hitboxes are awful. I guess with LFEs that won't be as much of a problem, but you run an XL on that mech at your own peril.

They are not that aweful. You put a LFE on a Warhammer you are going to sacrifice firepower, speed, or cooling ability. Not good vs clanners. If you don't run an XL on it you are an idiot...oops, not suppose to say that. How about less inclined to do well. Does that work?

I also think the GHRs lankiness helps it. Use your legs (those JJs coming into play again) to tank while getting shots over things other mechs, including the WHM, can't.

I might play against better players than you do, maybe not. But against good players they are not going to get fooled and hit the legs - no matter what you are doing.

It was pretty tanky before due to the structure quirks. It lost those now so it is less tanky now. There are better options.

Edited by Lovas, 01 July 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#14 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostLovas, on 01 July 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

They are not that aweful. You put a LFE on a Warhammer you are going to sacrifice firepower, speed, or cooling ability. Not good vs clanners. If you don't run an XL on it you are an idiot...oops, not suppose to say that. How about less inclined to do well. Does that work?

?

Was this really needed?

Anyway, back to reasonable discussion time. Yes, the Warhammers hitboxes are bad. I, too, only run XL on the Warhammer. Turns out thinner STs on mechs that need to run XL are better than wider, blocky STs. Plus you actually have some chance of blocking shots with your arms on the GHR, unlike the WHM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cyrion, 01 July 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#15 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostCyrion, on 01 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Was this really needed?

Based on how many standard engines we've run into when we are clan, yes it was. Folks who run std engines on most IS mechs can't compete with clans on either firepower and speed. That comment wasn't directed towards you - just the IS pugs in CW.

**EDIT**
I understand different builds work in different modes. QP is different than CW which is different than Comp. The ONLY mode where it is pure tech vs tech is CW, not sure why balance isn't based on CW only.

Edited by Lovas, 01 July 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostCyrion, on 01 July 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Honestly, the 5P is still great even after the nerf. It might have the best damn hitboxes in the game on a heavy mech. Do the boxer roll when people get in close to you and you're damn near invincible even with an XL. I just today pulled a 1300 damage game with it even though my team was awful and got rolled 12-2.

Meh, I did 1700 damage in QP match in Hellbringer. My average damage in the EBJ in the last two days of event play was 800. What's the point of 5P if it is nerfed below those two Clan Heavies that are 5 tons lighter than it? Just to better sell the stupid Mjolnir? Eff that.

#17 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 July 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Meh, I did 1700 damage in QP match in Hellbringer. My average damage in the EBJ in the last two days of event play was 800. What's the point of 5P if it is nerfed below those two Clan Heavies that are 5 tons lighter than it? Just to better sell the stupid Mjolnir? Eff that.

I've played the 5P exclusively since the July rollover except for one game in the Crab I'm leveling up. Played one game in solo queue and did 1300 damage w/ the 5P. Then since I needed to get the 10 Group Matches challenge done, my brother and I dropped into Group queue. Just the two of us. Me in the Grasshopper and him in an assortment of different mechs (normally how I play).

So after 11 games on the 5P I'm like 3rd on the Heavy leaderboard for Match Score @ 509. Think I'm top 10 overall for match score. So either I'm flat out amazing (I'm not) or you guys are exaggerating the demise of the 5P. Posted Image

Edited by Cyrion, 02 July 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#18 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

5p did get nerfed harder then it should. a reduce of truc quirck was sensible but stripping most of it to noting was to harsh.
That being said 5p got replaced for me to the 5h cool grashopper and 6d warhammer range. adjusting toward pgi quirck darts :)

#19 A Shoddy Rental Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOn my Island, There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostThe Nerf Bat, on 19 October 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

Any I.S. mech that is viable for faction warfare must be whacked by The Nerf Bat.

There's been a pattern of P.G.I.'s application of The Nerf Bat over the last year+. link

The I.S. has very few top-performing(viable) mechs. All the good pilots start playing the 2 or 3 variants that are competitive. The relative performance of the mechs increase. Then PGI hits the with The Nerf Bat.

The Clans on the other hand have many top performing mechs across all weight classes. The good pilots don't have to be shoe-horned into 2 or 3 variants. It's a loft easier to escape The Nerf Bat.

Unfortunately this still don't explain how the Kodiak and the Arctic Cheetah escaped The Nerf Bat for so long.

It was just the GHR-5P turn.

Edited by The Nerf Bat, 02 July 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostCyrion, on 02 July 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I've played the 5P exclusively since the July rollover except for one game in the Crab I'm leveling up. Played one game in solo queue and did 1300 damage w/ the 5P. Then since I needed to get the 10 Group Matches challenge done, my brother and I dropped into Group queue. Just the two of us. Me in the Grasshopper and him in an assortment of different mechs (normally how I play).

So after 11 games on the 5P I'm like 3rd on the Heavy leaderboard for Match Score @ 509. Think I'm top 10 overall for match score. So either I'm flat out amazing (I'm not) or you guys are exaggerating the demise of the 5P. Posted Image

Whar is your tier level? Talking about high damage and leaderboard position is meaningless if your tier is below T1. Cause farming potatoes in lower tier to pad your score is nothing amazing. Show me your tier now so it can lend weight to your argument.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users