• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

<snip>
I prefer to assume the best rather than the worst.
That's the important bit. But you also know that others may assume the worst rather than the best, so why not care about that?

I feel that this discussion is akin to the discussion about if one is OK if innocents will be punished in order to punish all guilty criminals or if it's better to let some criminals go free to ensure that no innocents are punished.

#102 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Is it, or is it because after long associations with most of the people in question, I know that they will remain offended regardless?

Well if i went by your standards then most of gamers are smug ****** who doesnt give a **** about fair play to begin with...

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#103 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

it kinda puts the lie to the whole argument; we're meant to believe that 'gg' is an expression of respect, sportsmanship, etc...

until someone doesn't particularly like it, and then **** them, they're obviously just triggered child snowflakes or whatever

makes it hard to believe that there was a lot of respect there in the first palce

Edited by AssaultPig, 19 July 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#104 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I disagree on that.

Instead of just shutting yourself off you should actually develop some sharp tongue of your own.

So if you won 12-0 and feel pretty good about the game and try to tell it was good game.
Then my response will be "go **** yourself along with matchmaking".

It certainly isn't the optimal solution but I am just not skilled enough to type and pilot a fast mech in the heat of battle. There are people with those skills I am just not one of them (yet).

As far as putting skill points into leveling ambidexterity, I have greatly improved my left handed mouse operation.

Edited by Chagatay, 19 July 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#105 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 19 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

GG stands for "git gud"

I don't know about anybody else, but I see a person's reaction to receiving "gg" a good indication of who they are. Posted Image

#106 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 July 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

it kinda puts the lie to the whole argument; we're meant to believe that 'gg' is an expression of respect, sportsmanship, etc...

until someone doesn't particularly like it, and then **** them, they're obviously just triggered child snowflakes or whatever

kinda makes it hard to believe that there was a lot of respect there in the first palce

Disconnect comes from what you consider sportsmanslike.

I dont consider bunch of professionals playing soccer match with middle schoolers as sportsmanlike to begin with and if any of pros actually says gg he deserves all the flack hes gonna get.

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#107 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Well if i went by your standards then most of community is smug ****** who doesnt give a **** about fair play to begin with...

hmm, well some have done a tremendous job of demonstrating such, but I won't give up my own agency and happiness by assuming most people are such, no. But by your own words, you do, since you assume everyone saying something as simple as "GG" is a dbag out to kill your happiness.

Anyhow, while this has been a delightful little psychological study in low self esteem and the victim entitlement mentality that comes with it, it's also been a rather circular argument, so since you are so insistent on assuming the worst, and most base motivations from others.... I'll leave you to it.

It' is interesting though that those claiming others need more empathy...are the ones who have stooped to making personal attacks by insulting the characters of those people by claiming they have no empathy, are sociopaths, etc. Fascinating.

I'd big you a good day, but I must assume you would find some hidden meaning in that as to how I am "mocking you", so, I shan't.

View PostMystere, on 19 July 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I don't know about anybody else, but I see a person's reaction to receiving "gg" a good indication of who they are. Posted Image

that's not very empathetic of you..... Posted Image

#108 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

ppl these days dont know what gg means...

you dont say good game when you steamrolled enemy 12-3...its akin to spitting in the face of defeated...

So Federer should have refused to shake hands with Cilic then, right? Posted Image

View PostHGAK47, on 19 July 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

Humanity is a cancer virus.

FTFY.

#109 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostMystere, on 19 July 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

So Federer should have refused to shake hands with Cilic then, right? Posted Image

I assume federer won and in this case no, that would be sign that his opponent is beneath him.

He shouldnt propose to shake hands but if it wasnt his initative theres no reason to decline.

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 09:09 AM.

#110 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

That's the important bit. But you also know that others may assume the worst rather than the best, so why not care about that?

I feel that this discussion is akin to the discussion about if one is OK if innocents will be punished in order to punish all guilty criminals or if it's better to let some criminals go free to ensure that no innocents are punished.

Why not care about that? For the simple fact that it is a game.

And it is a very different discussion from how criminals are treated.

#111 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

unfortunately gg is tainted now thanks to some immature people. In MW4 we would say it and it be done in good sportsmanship...not in MWO. If it's said I immediately think it's a jab, so I would come up with some other saying in good sportsmanship to replace it that is difficult to taint with sarcasm.

#112 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

I assume federer won and in this case no.

He shouldnt propose to shake hands but if it wasnt his initative theres no reason to decline.

So instead of showing his opponent respect, he should wait for his opponent to show him respect first?

This is the essence of poor sportsmanship.

Anyone who gets into that tournament is worthy of respect simply for the hard work and effort required to get there. You are playing against your peers and should count yourself among the best tennis players in the world, because you are.

It should never be a case of only giving respect if someone else gives you respect first.

#113 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

except that what you just said is obviously insulting, al the time, because of the context. GG isn't. But at this point, I actually am just enjoying watching all the mental gymnastics you guys are going through trying to justify how the whole world is really just a bunch of rude Dbags trying to hide their motives in thinly veiled insults....

Me? If I want to insult someone, I prefer to just come out and say it. In life, on the internet. We used to call it having balls. (but that would probably trigger the SJWs as sexist today) And it seems like by the amount of special cupcake ease of triggering going on these days, sadly, our participation prize society has indeed produced a generation that needs to grow a a pair?

At the very least seems like a whole lot of people on the internet needs to go get some perspective in their lives.

But hey, *enjoy* being triggered, I reckon?

Hey, tell me about it. Kind of like why I was banned for posting 7 days from the forums, because I must have triggered some special snowflake for causing "aggravation" when I was presenting a different view point? If the forums devolves into some kind of social justice warrior indoctrination then you bet this game isn't getting a single cent from me ever again.

Seriously people, grow a pair. Don't run off and cry to the mods because something might have "offended" you. If someone disagrees with you then try at least responding with valid arguments instead of emotional bias?

#114 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

So instead of showing his opponent respect, he should wait for his opponent to show him respect first?

This is the essence of poor sportsmanship.

Anyone who gets into that tournament is worthy of respect simply for the hard work and effort required to get there. You are playing against your peers and should count yourself among the best tennis players in the world, because you are.

It should never be a case of only giving respect if someone else gives you respect first.

No, he should quietly wait for the end of this shitshow.

But im not interested in tennis and assume this match was onesided...

Also handshake is part of tradition in sports leagues and as that it really expresses nothing since everybody does it regardless of circumstances...

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#115 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Lol.... no I don't tend to worry about it too much, not when I likely offend 100s or more with each post, lol. It's the internet. I (generally) don't go out of my way to cause offense, but I also don't spend a lot of energy avoiding it,either. I learned a long time ago, that people on the internet will look for hidden insult if the Dalai Lama or Mother Teresa were to greet them, and as such, why spend too much energy worrying about if you are going to offend the perpetually offended?

We live in a society now that actively looks for reasons to be offended from every small thing, and will take gestures of kindness and charity as an insult if it wasn't done in "just this one specific way".

It's amazing that with all the information and cultures and such at our fingertips now, the world should be getting bigger, but it seems most people are actually getting smaller. Maybe exposure to the big bad world threatens too many preciously help misconceptions? IDK.

I blame Twitter and its ilk. All traces of them need to be quickly eradicated lest their misuse trigger more bloody lynchings and massacres, or worse a nuclear holocaust.

<On second thought, the latter would solve a whole lot of problems. Posted Image>

#116 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

I just don´t like any gamer that uses gg, gl hf or o7 around here. Too common and lame. Just like any ****** that believes in luck or Santa Claus.

Shows laziness, irreverence and the average mindset of most internet trolls.

Try something different for once in your life, typing a few words wont make you a worse player.

#117 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

View PostAlan Hicks, on 19 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

I just don´t like any gamer that uses gg, gl hf or o7 around here. Too common and lame. Just like any ****** that believes in luck or Santa Claus.

Try something different for once in your life, typing a few words wont make you a worse player.

k

#118 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

Thats why i mean by ppl not understanding how to use that gesture.

Its not something you say after every match, it comes off as insincere.

#119 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Also handshake is part of tradition in sports leagues and as that it really expresses nothing since everybody does it regardless of circumstances...

So how is it insulting then?

If GG is the same thing, then how can it be an insult? Sure, if someone says GGCLOSELOL, that's obviously meant to be insulting. But GG by itself?

#120 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 19 July 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hey, tell me about it. Kind of like why I was banned for posting 7 days from the forums, because I must have triggered some special snowflake for causing "aggravation" when I was presenting a different view point? If the forums devolves into some kind of social justice warrior indoctrination then you bet this game isn't getting a single cent from me ever again.

Seriously people, grow a pair. Don't run off and cry to the mods because something might have "offended" you. If someone disagrees with you then try at least responding with valid arguments instead of emotional bias?

It's not this game or forum (trust me, as much as I have a beef with a certain person on here.... compared to the thought policing they do on the HBS Battletech forum? Sheesh)..... but a product of society.

But people don't want to look inward... it's so much easier to look outward and say that all the hurt, pain, etc is someone else's fault.. rather than accepting that a lot of our hardships, emotional physical and otherwise are self inflicted.

Always amusing that those claiming to be the most enlightened are always the least tolerant of other perspectives and the first to impute bad motives on everyone.

It's like the feminist who becomes offended because I hold a door open. Was my gesture condescending and implying she was a lesser person, unable to handle the weight of the big heavy door, so I as a strong manly man had to do it for here? Or was I simply being polite... because if I see a guy coming to the door, I would hold it open for them, too?

Well, according the our friends in here, apparently the correct thing to do would be to consider that the lady might be a feminist and so not hold the door, and instead let it close in her face (oh dang, I just used a sexual identifier...what if she doesn't identify as a she? Oh hell! Offense!!!!) ... and since we don't want to discriminate, I wouldn't hold it open for anyone else either, be it an elderly or disabled person, a person holding a child or bags in their arms.

I should be considerate of them and assume they can open the door themselves, and as such, essentially ignore them, so as not to damage their self esteem.

assuming laziness on others is a sure sign of it in yourself.

(more fortune cookie wisdom available on demand)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 July 2017 - 09:21 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users