BattleMechs

120 replies to this topic

#21 Formosa The God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:26 AM

Dont feel bad, just do what I do, hop between the two, my favourite mechs are a good mix of Clan and IS, the Warhammer edging out as my favourite I think, its so much more fun than any of my Clan mechs, and my Hunchie 4SP is a pure tank for 50 tons.

#22 JadeLight

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

I have found the clan mechs' to be easier to start with and less confusing in general. Saying the clan/IS balance is off because you outperform yourself playing the mech' correctly is hardly a reason for a nerf. Sample size is everything.

P.S. You can make ANY mech' work if you know how to play it. Hunchies are pretty basic to understand though.

#23 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

Its not really a fair comparison as most of the light mechs are better than the Grid Iron.

#24 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

Funny thing about the Hunchie IIC as far as lore is concerned....you don't tend to see them outside of Solhama units. Keep in mind that MW:O gives double the armor that TT did. Most Clanners considered the 'mech a suicide platform to give an aging warrior one last shot at dying in battle.

#25 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

There's a reason I paint my Clan 'Mechs titanium white and plaster ComStar decals on them...

#26 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:57 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 September 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Funny thing about the Hunchie IIC as far as lore is concerned....you don't tend to see them outside of Solhama units. Keep in mind that MW:O gives double the armor that TT did. Most Clanners considered the 'mech a suicide platform to give an aging warrior one last shot at dying in battle.

That's the case for most of the IICs and Battlemechs. Trashborns were really obsessed for omnimechs, and kept the 'best for the best.' The totem mechs were the big exceptions.

Edited by Bombast, 23 September 2017 - 04:04 AM.

#27 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:01 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 September 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

In normal combat yes, but in zellbringen this mech is perfect. Heavy short range weaponry, limited ammo isnt an issue, just come close and blow enemy apart.

#28 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:04 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 23 September 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

In normal combat yes, but in zellbringen this mech is perfect. Heavy short range weaponry, limited ammo isnt an issue, just come close and blow enemy apart.

Doesn't matter, it's still not a mech you see anyone use unless the clan wont give them anything else.

#29 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 September 2017 - 04:04 AM, said:

Doesn't matter, it's still not a mech you see anyone use unless the clan wont give them anything else.

Someone already mentioned trashborn obssesion with omnimechs.

Doesnt mean 2c are bad mechs, they were designed for the same needs as most clan mechs, but fallen out of grace due to newer omnimechs.

#30 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 September 2017 - 03:57 AM, said:

That's the case for most of the IICs and Battlemechs. Trashborns were really obsessed for omnimechs, and kept the 'best for the best.' The totem mechs were the big exceptions.

Depends a lot on the clan in question, though. The Ghost Bears have quite a few "front line" Battlemechs. The invading clans (those that participated in the initial invasion) tend to use them for garrison work.

View Postdavoodoo, on 23 September 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

Except that it's got cardboard armor and is prone to ammo explosions, I guess.

#31 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 September 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

Except that it's got cardboard armor and is prone to ammo explosions, I guess.

Well, I don't think that matters when it would one shot just about anything. :P

Still, even being a clan plaer, I never got the appeal. I consistently do way better with IS mechs. I did the IS AC challenge with a warhammer easily; I struggled to do the CUAC20 challenge on the Hunchback IIC. :l

#32 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:30 AM

Yup sad times to be an IS'er.
Wonder why I bother sometimesPosted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM.

#33 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 22 September 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

Oh boy wait until you try out some of the better Clan assults.

Such as? Basically the only one worth using these days is the Mk. II. Marauder IIC is workable, I suppose. Quad ERPPC Warhawks just got nerfed, so that one's out.

Clan strength mostly lies in the medium and heavy brackets.

That said, eh. I tend to outperform almost everyone in a match driving a 6xcASRM6 Pakhet, despite the Huntsman being slow for a medium, having pretty thin armor, and Clan SRMs being objectively inferior to IS SRMs.Clans definitely have an edge in metabuilds, but not everything is a result of clantech.

#34 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:08 AM

Clan tech only really dominates in two scenarios : when you run long ranged laser vomit or run UAC spam when pushing. Unfortunately thats pretty much most of what high level play is like.

QP on most maps dont involve 12 laser vomit mechs in a firing line so IS mechs actually dominate QP. I laugh everytime i see a laser vomit EBJ in QP because if he tries to sit at long range he will simply get ganked by a group of fast mechs because in QP because you dont get 11 bodyguards willing to sacrifice themselves for you. And once you negate the ~100m range advantage clan mechs **** all over IS ones at the same tonnage. Without the range advantage and luxury of cooling down after every alpha, clan mechs with bad hitboxes are made out of paper.

Infact, i've seen it countless times during this ballistic event. Both teams usually charge each other because everyone is farming ballistic damage and there is almost zero ranged trading or flanking. People just run into point blank range with ballistic boats. Laser vomit mechs fire one or two alphas before they get crushed underfoot.

If you honestly think clan tech is OP, try taking on a warhammer or grasshopper with a mad dog (10 ton advantage to simulate IS tonnage advantage in FP) and let me know how that works out for you. Enjoy shooting shield arms with long duration lasers because he can torso twist while you are halfway through your laser burn.

Or try using the following "superior" clan mechs :

Viper
Summoner (no ER PPC poptart builds)
Gargoyle
Executioner
Ice Ferret
Kitfox
Adder

And many more...all of whom get stomped by IS mechs of equal or LOWER tonnage.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 23 September 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#35 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

Uziel vs. Grid Iron - which is worse? Posted Image Posted Image

#36 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostExilyth, on 23 September 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Uziel vs. Grid Iron - which is worse? Posted Image Posted Image

Uziel.

#37 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 22 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Clantech just makes everything easier. I keep my Kit Foxes, Mist Lynx and my Cougars, even if the smell, just because sometimes I need a solid win streak.

I don't regret paying MC for my GI(even if I still haven't found a use for that one missile point and I have always run it just like a 4G)

I have been experimenting with a Gridiron build that so far looks promising.

endo/ferro/10 DHS and a 255 LFE with max armor is the core chassis

The weapon payload is 3x med laser UAC10 w/ 2 tons ammo MRM10 w/ 1 ton ammo.

The only downside is the ammo is a bit light so missing hurts. Trying to wiggle in more ammo is difficult because it involves downgrading the ferro fib to light ferro because there are zero crit slots unused.

#38 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:47 AM

This thread is amusing.

I can take hits in my heavy IS mechs that would core out a clan assault.
Hell I can do that with my Urbie.

#39 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 23 September 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

Posted Image

But what if I told you Clans have more quads than the IS? Posted Image

Don't feel bad OP, I'm already falling to the dark side. In a few more days my Liao symbol becomes a shark, for great justice (I like DS lore, and I'm really hoping PGI add the Deathstrike Galaxy camo as a DS faction paintjob in the future). I bounce between Clan and IS mechs at will, because I'm a filthy Underhiver and can't FP to save my life or my team.

If you like the HBK IIC, don't feel bad, embrace it! Outside of FP Mechs can and should be enjoyed regardless. It's all about the fun of shooting stompy robots in other stompy robots Posted Image

#40 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

View PostRakshasa, on 23 September 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

But what if I told you Clans have more quads than the IS? Posted Image

IS ones look better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users