• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

start out, rank up and average the groups tier

Add in people tier to fill in blanks

Put large groups against each other

Put small groups against each other..

put high tier folks into the gaps of groups..

If you can put in singles verse singles do it

#2 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

not possible at all. at least not without 4x the population, currently its a struggle to get one game and thats with an event. most people avoid it like the plague so you will need to work out how to get people here and stay.

When the events arent on there have been several complaints that if your not playing on NA primetime then you basically dont play, someone put up a post saying there was a 3+ hour stretch with no drops at all.

And to top it off, since PGI has shown they dont give a fig for CW/FP any suggestions you can come up with will simply be ignored. its unfortunate, the sheer volume of suggestions on the Faction Play sub forum is huge, but mostly pointless.

#3 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostVitriolicViolet, on 01 October 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

not possible at all. at least not without 4x the population, currently its a struggle to get one game and thats with an event. most people avoid it like the plague so you will need to work out how to get people here and stay.

I personally would play CW more (or even exclusively) if it had some sort of match making. It's hard to know if there's enough people like me to make it viable, but there's certainly some number of us.

(... and before you say they already tried it, I'll just let you know that going from 10 buckets to 40 is a lot different than going from 2 to 4. A second attempt might yet also fail, but their first "attempt" is barely worthy of the word.)

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

theres not enough players in qp to make its matchmaker work anywhere but peak times. with fp's population it wouldnt work at all.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Not remotely possible.

Population would need to be 30,000+ - QP struggles to get that now on a monthly basis.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Matchmaker?

What CW needs are complimentary campaign systems at the galactic and planetary levels paired with a troop deployment system.

Edited by Mystere, 01 October 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#7 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostKanil, on 01 October 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

I personally would play CW more (or even exclusively) if it had some sort of match making. It's hard to know if there's enough people like me to make it viable, but there's certainly some number of us.

(... and before you say they already tried it, I'll just let you know that going from 10 buckets to 40 is a lot different than going from 2 to 4. A second attempt might yet also fail, but their first "attempt" is barely worthy of the word.)

without a significantly higher population there wont be any matches at all with that system. i agree it would potentially help reduce pug slaughter but not by much. and while there certainly would be some people who would try it most would leave due to population.

Its been an endless doom spiral of half assed additions/fixes and then several months of rage, followed by population decrease, followed by halfassed addition/fix to fix the issue only to repeat the whole cycle again. It started with The Dong and has been on going. The Dong really ended CW

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

Russ's grand idea of "FP3.0" which was so out of touch with what the community thought it was going to get - ended CW/FP right there and then.

Fastforward 18 months. FP4.0 did nothing. FP4.1 was promised for April 2017, it's not end of the year 2017 and well - it's just not coming. PGI gave up after the total failure that was FP3.0 - killed the mode.

#9 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

FP3.0 - killed the mode.

Russ: "I think Long Tom is fine"

#10 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 01 October 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

start out, rank up and average the groups tier

Add in people tier to fill in blanks

Put large groups against each other

Put small groups against each other..

put high tier folks into the gaps of groups..

If you can put in singles verse singles do it

Sigh
It would be nice
At least like you described, some simple MM

But outside of an event I don't think FP has 3 digit player numbers aside from the weekend maybe

#11 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

Russ's grand idea of "FP3.0" which was so out of touch with what the community thought it was going to get - ended CW/FP right there and then.

Fastforward 18 months. FP4.0 did nothing. FP4.1 was promised for April 2017, it's not end of the year 2017 and well - it's just not coming. PGI gave up after the total failure that was FP3.0 - killed the mode.

i still cant believe (well now i can i mean at the time) that it took over 6 months of complaints, rage, disconnects and twitter spam before they finally admitted it might not have the best decision.

View PostLovas, on 01 October 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

urgh, how many times did we hear that?

#12 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

#13 D3ATHKNIGHT

Rookie

• The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

This fp event has become disgusting. I'm dropping solo and running into full elite teams like kcom and evil. No wonder no one plays fp u go to get stomped by the elites. No chance of winning with 12 solo against full teams. I love this game but this crap makes me want to rage quit. It's like matching an NFL team with ur kids peewee team. Forget about grinding out the wins. Just try to get some points for event to get something out of the pain. It shouldn't feel like this. It's a game and should b fun for everyone not just the elite teams feeding their stats versus solo players. And now they lrm the crap out of u too as if curb stomping u isn't degrading enough.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

So do what the mode says.

Bring proper load outs and join a team.

If you don't want too, then sadly, that is your own choice.

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

So did I. Posted Image

Well, except for this:

View PostVxheous, on 01 October 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

The Long Tom operator really needed to be fired. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 01 October 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#16 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Honestly, I don't think it can be done at this point. Maybe way back when, before FP got the reputation it has, but at this point a huge portion of the playerbase wouldn't give it a chance no matter what. The numbers it would take to get it rolling just aren't there - This is how I imagine it would work out.

1. MM Introduced and announced
2. A few non-FP players decide to give it a shot
3. MM churns and churns and churns, then gives up and goes back to 'whatever goes' just to get a match going
4. The usual happens, everyone rolls there eyes, non-FP players leave again

Honestly, I think the time for FP has passed - Too many people hate it too deeply. And every time they're 'bribed' to go back to it, they end up hating it even more.

I think there was really only one way to ever fix it, and the time has passed - Mandatory teams. No warnings, no pugs, either get a 4, 8 or 12 man team together or go play QP. FP should have been positioned as an endgame activity from the very start, something people strived to get into, not something the player is dumped into with a flimsy warning and an almost guaranteed bad first experience.

I mean, seriously. Solo players are allowed into FP, no questions asked, but Solo and Group QP have a hard line between them? Come on.

#17 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

So do what the mode says.

Bring proper load outs and join a team.

If you don't want too, then sadly, that is your own choice.

Because PGI have given players all the tools required that 99% of other online games have to easily do that like ingame chat channels and......owait.

Edited by Methanoid, 01 October 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#18 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 October 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

... either get a 4, 8 or 12 man team together or go play QP.

That makes sense when QP, group, and comp all have pretty much identical mechanics, but locking a different mode behind being a premade seems pretty asinine when it's the only place to find stuff like dropdecks.

Edited by Kanil, 01 October 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

You agreed to going into a group mode as a solo. To then complain, that is foolish, not the other way around.

View PostMethanoid, on 01 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

Because PGI have given players all the tools required that 99% of other online games have to easily do that like ingame chat channels and......owait.

In-game Faction Chat sits there, no one uses it.

Can't blame PGI for that one.

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostKanil, on 01 October 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

That makes sense when QP, group, and comp all have pretty much identical mechanics, but locking a different mode behind being a premade seems pretty asinine when it's the only place to find stuff like dropdecks.

It's a fair argument - Locking solo players away from a unique mode is kind of crappy. But measured against how the majority of solo players are driven out of the mode by being given unlimited access, I still think its the right move.

It's a bit elitist to say maybe, but 'Limiting players for their own good' is sometimes a good thing. And in this case, I think its true.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

You agreed to going into a group mode as a solo.

The person hanging himself holds his fair share of blame, but the mode handing him the rope to do so and bribing him with MC to go through with it probably isn't blameless either.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users