445 replies to this topic

#121 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 12 October 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Only problem I have is that it takes 7 days for a current loyalist to break faction and participate. Seeing as this is the first event of it's kind, a Capital City battle, one would think there would be a way to participate along side the current faction loyalists and Mercs that can break contract in time. A cbill penalty or perhaps a one-time event based option.

You can earn the C-Bills regardless of faction.

#122 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Another question...exactly how many Smoke Jaguar loyalists are still in the game these days? The ones I knew left a long time ago after Tukayyid I and the first map reset.

#123 B0ll0

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 12 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Soooo....how can this be the Battle of Luthien, fought in January 3052, when the game has now been advanced to the 3057-3060 time frame, complete with new technology?

Should have done this two years ago...

Actually not many care about the lore. Also PGI.

#124 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

View Postsuffocater, on 12 October 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

I would imagine that everyone gets their turn, just not everyone at once.

I really hope so, but it seems that next such an event there wiill be again loyalists just from other 2 house/clan who gets the paints, paterns and warhorns and no mercs.Posted Image

Edited by Apollo777, 12 October 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#125 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 12 October 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Another question...exactly how many Smoke Jaguar loyalists are still in the game these days? The ones I knew left a long time ago after Tukayyid I and the first map reset.

I vaguely recall quite a while ago during a PGI Town Hall podcast that MWO will break lore as needed to maintain a cohesive and progressive gameplay. The unfortunate truth is that MWO can not be 100% accurate with its lore by its very nature. Dynamic player populations, meta play, and basic player behavior prevents it. Basically all anyone could have ever expected, even from the early beta days, is they pick and choose elements from BT Lore that excite the player base and keeps our attention for another few months. Honestly, there isn't even a trackable measure of time in MWO. You can't really site lore in MWO if you don't know what day it is in game. Battle of Tukayyid has been fought how many time now? Three?

No, there is no reason to split hairs about lore in MWO anymore. Lore is fun and makes BattleTech awesome, but its a suffocating constraint in a game like this. If they tried to follow it to the letter, we all wouldn't be playing it right now.

#126 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

The "Battle for Luthien" is taking place this year because the MWO community pushed the Kurita territory barrier back to their capital world.

If we did everything according to Lore, then it would be impossible to have Faction Play since we'd have no influence over planet ownership.

#127 Esarai

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 12 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Battle of Tukayyid has been fought how many time now? Three?

Lol yep. If we're gonna bring lore into this, MWO now exists in an alternate timeline where ComStar and the IS lost the first Battle of Tukayyid, but then somehow an agreement was brokered where every year another battle is hosted on Tukayyid to resolve political disputes or something (I'm imagining Anastasius Focht initiated a Trial of Refusal against ilKhan Ulric Kerensky to alter the deal, died heroically in the process but still met the win conditions). The Great Houses have repeatedly gotten beaten down, and are now little more than puppet states, with their remaining forces mutinying and commiting to fight desperate last stands against the Clan war machine, who themselves have merely perpetrated Kerensky's greatest fear and reduced hundreds of worlds to ash just like the Successor States did so many centuries ago.

No, there is no reason to split hairs about lore in MWO anymore. Lore is fun and makes BattleTech awesome, but its a suffocating constraint in a game like this. If they tried to follow it to the letter, we all wouldn't be playing it right now.

Absolutely right. At the same time, the fact that it will never play out exactly like in lore isn't reason to not try try to make a coherent story about it. I think it presents a brilliant (and missed) opportunity.

Edited by Esarai, 12 October 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#128 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 12 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Soooo....how can this be the Battle of Luthien, fought in January 3052, when the game has now been advanced to the 3057-3060 time frame, complete with new technology?

The event system is a good start. I would really like if they had era events where only special mech with special loadout and drop rules can be taken. This week we fight in 2675! Next week 3010! etc. This would make it interesting for me.

#129 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 12 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I vaguely recall quite a while ago during a PGI Town Hall podcast that MWO will break lore as needed to maintain a cohesive and progressive gameplay. The unfortunate truth is that MWO can not be 100% accurate with its lore by its very nature. Dynamic player populations, meta play, and basic player behavior prevents it. Basically all anyone could have ever expected, even from the early beta days, is they pick and choose elements from BT Lore that excite the player base and keeps our attention for another few months. Honestly, there isn't even a trackable measure of time in MWO. You can't really site lore in MWO if you don't know what day it is in game. Battle of Tukayyid has been fought how many time now? Three?

You dont need a moving timeline for lore to happen. You can do the battle of Stalingrad in a fps and then do Omaha beach and any others without being time bound and you have lore. Its better this way if people can chose what and when they play. Maps should have been designed for this. Would be nice to have map designed for that in QP. hell, maybe they are but there is zero written anything in game to tell you about anything and get you interested beside a quicky fight.

#130 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 12 October 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

You can earn the C-Bills regardless of faction.

Lesson learned. Don't be a loyalist of any fashion. Mercenary gets the best treatment.

#131 B0ll0

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 12 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

Lesson learned. Don't be a loyalist of any fashion. Mercenary gets the best treatment.

Why? They can get the same we can get.

#132 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

GG no redos.

Posted Image

#133 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Don't worry about the time guys, if you want lore events only, the entire FP map is meaningless. Following lore events is more appropriate for a single player campaign map.

#134 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 October 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

Don't worry about the time guys, if you want lore events only, the entire FP map is meaningless. Following lore events is more appropriate for a single player campaign map.

That was kind of my point. They're advertising something they "promised" a long time ago...an event triggered when a capital city is encircled. Thing is, only the factions involved in the triggering event will be available. That means Smoke Jags and Falcons for Clans, the appropriate House for the capital city. (Ghost Bears didn't circle anything and Wolf is still getting used to holding locks. The three new clans haven't taken anything much yet.)

If they're offering big money and prizes, one would assume that they would want maximum participation. Without allowing people to switch sides to the appropriate faction, they're cutting off their own participation. I'm far less liable to just go play QP if the prizes are worth putting up with the horrible teams. For cbills only? Not so much.

Edited by Willard Phule, 12 October 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#135 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

In comparison to my peers in NS that waited 4 years, we waited only 1 month. It's a vast improvement, GJ PGI!!!!

#136 SevenDaggerSix

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Why do I get the feeling the clan is getting the shaft on this One? Assault verse a light in firepower. 1 on 1 the lights speed is advantage but in group of 2 or more the assaults would spank the missinglynx. Now if you really wanted to spike interest, then do a true "Spoils of War" like an IS version of the light(able to use both faction weapons) or a Clan version of the Mauler with the same ability. Just daying

Edited by SevenDaggerSix, 12 October 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#137 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

What Mauler? There is no Mauler!

#138 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Are you freaking kidding me? How greedy can you clan players possibly be?

It doesn't matter that they're offering a Mauler vs a Mist Lynx, because there's NO CHANCE AT ALL they're going to have to give out any Maulers. NONE. The clans have won every single faction event they've done for years. They could offer every IS player 200000 mech credits for a win, and it wouldn't matter. PGI would never have to pay up. It's the safest bet in the world.

You play the clans, you're automatically going to get a free Mist Lynx. Period. Stop whining, you're getting free mechs just for playing clans. How childish do you have to be to complain about the free stuff you're going to get?

#139 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 October 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

What Mauler? There is no Mauler!

From the in-game browser:
The Spoils of War IS:
Earn 150 matchscore {sic) 12 times (Any FP mode, IS Only)

Rewards:
Mauler MAL-MX-90
'Mech Bay

NOT to be confused with the Kurita Guard challenge, which is (to my knowledge) a Kurita Mauler Camo for loyalists only.

View Postpwnface, on 12 October 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

GG no redos.

Posted Image

Even hasn't started yet, has it?

#140 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 12 October 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Event hasn't started yet, has it?