118 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 12 October 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

That depends entirly on if MW5 is a "do-or-die" title for the company or not. If they simply wanted to do what they originally planned back in 2011 (making a singleplayer Mechwarrior game) to create some extra revenue, then the company itself will continue to exist. But if they have to bet the future of the company on MW5...

Anyway, I'd more worry about "What if MW5 becomes a blockbuster". You just need to take a look around and see how successful gaming franchises were watered down because of "mass appeal" and a quick buck(and that included even Mechwarrior in the past).

It may or may not be a must win for them. But such a large title by a fairly new company is super important.

Was W 1 or W 2 for CDPR must wins? Those games did barely ok. It wasn't until W 3 that they really started getting into the big time. It most likely wont be until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out that they really go big time with confidence.

The competition being so weak MW 5 is certain to do well. There are very few titles that can compete with MW 5. But there are a few.

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 October 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#42 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

It ultimately goes to total dollar units sold vs actual costs. If it equals or has any deficit, it flopped regardless on how popular the game really is. Relying on one ad site will not in any way or form prevent the game from flopping financially speaking. PGI has to break the bank for it to be successful and the fact we hadn’t really seen anything new tells you those production costs are going to be really really high.

#43 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostMadRover, on 12 October 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

It ultimately goes to total dollar units sold vs actual costs. If it equals or has any deficit, it flopped regardless on how popular the game really is. Relying on one ad site will not in any way or form prevent the game from flopping financially speaking. PGI has to break the bank for it to be successful and the fact we hadn’t really seen anything new tells you those production costs are going to be really really high.

Video games industry is the largest entertainment industry. Worth billions. Way more than I thought even last week. Way more.

Anyway MW 5 couldn't dream of being in a better position than they are right now. Its a newer studios dream come true. The market is in the trash waiting for a quality game to come out, except for like 3 other titles coming out in the foreseeable future.

Any behind the scenes challenges or pressures is another thing entirely though. Those could consist of nearly anything and be massive. I hope not. The entire video game market isn't in the trash by accident after all...

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 October 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#44 PAYWALL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 147 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

It will be the same like with MWO: If Alex keeps designing the mechs, the game can be as mediocre as it could even be possible and it would sell to the hardcore community. Then the microtransactions will kick in...and we are all in need of big stompy mechs.

#45 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostCK16, on 12 October 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Geez some of you guys really want to see PGI burn.....and if so, why are you hanging around the forums and their website here giving them traffic?

No advertisements here, so any traffic is actually an expense.

#46 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Better start buying more mechpacks

#47 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

im sure theyll sell mechpacks for MW5 too... I mean MW4 did it... and MWO. so why not MW5 too?

itll be hilarious paying a second time for the same exact models used in the mechpacks we bought for MWO

PGI is gonna recycle MWO mechpacks for MW5

Edited by Khobai, 12 October 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#48 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

If it's a success. They will put out expansions and DLC. With an eventual sequel that will be more of the same.

If it flops. They'll just keep plinking away at MWO mech sales.

I think it will be a success for a niche game. I doubt it will get wider appeal outside of Mechwarror fans. If it's good enough for people to get over their grump butt and put good word of mouth out. It might still grow out the fanbase a bit.

Also depends on if they'll provide mod support. There's a lot of creative people out there and having mod tools will help build a modding community.

Edited by MechaBattler, 12 October 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#49 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 12 October 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

MWO is alive and kicking, that should tell you something.

I don't know if it is kicking exactly (granted these are just numbers on QP leaderboards): https://i.imgur.com/wzglEFg.png

I doubt it will flop but whether people trust PGI to do a sequel is another story.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 12 October 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#50 Miodog

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 12 October 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

If it's a success. They will put out expansions and DLC. With an eventual sequel that will be more of the same.

If it flops. They'll just keep plinking away at MWO mech sales.

I think it will be a success for a niche game. I doubt it will get wider appeal outside of Mechwarror fans. If it's good enough for people to get over their grump butt and put good word of mouth out. It might still grow out the fanbase a bit.

Also depends on if they'll provide mod support. There's a lot of creative people out there and having mod tools will help build a modding community.

I think this point needs to be reiterated ad nauseam until it happens. MW5 has to have MOD support.

#51 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

I hope it succeeds and I hope it lays the groundwork for an engine change and makeover of MWO, provided they transfer accounts and owned mechs to the new version.

It's very good that they didn't do a kickstarter or any other type of crowdfunding for MW5 because it would have failed, their reputation is too bad for that. If they have a really good playable demo to build some hype and trust in the new title, then maybe they can get some preorders in. Hopefully they will simply finance the game internally and release it as a finished product.

I'm not personally that interested in MW5 other than as groundwork for future "MWO2", but I do think it's important that it succeeds to secure the future and continued development of both MWO and the mechwarrior franchise.

The idea expressed by some that a failed MW5 would somehow be good for MWO is silly, if MW5 fails PGI will be in a bad situation financially and that makes future investments and major updates to MWO less likely, not more. Now I'm not sure if it needs to be a huge financial success, if it's a good game it will elevate PGIs reputation and allow them to build their brand and future products, and that should be their primary concern I think since having a bad reputation is their main weakness.

Edited by Sjorpha, 12 October 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#52 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

The idea expressed by some that a failed MW5 would somehow be good for MWO is silly, if MW5 fails PGI will be in a bad situation financially and that makes future investments and major updates to MWO less likely, not more. Now I'm not sure if it needs to be a huge financial success, if it's a good game it will elevate PGIs reputation and allow them to build their brand and future products, and that should be their primary concern I think since having a bad reputation is their main weakness.

A failed MW5 is not “good for MWO”. Rather a failed MW5 maintains the status quo. Nothing more.
PGI has built a successful business selling a relatively small group of folks mech packs. If MW5 fails, they will continue to do that and they will continue to do that in this platform as they are clearly making sufficient money off of that model to make it worth their while.

If MW5 is a smashing sucess...that is successful enough to for PGI to pay its development costs PLUS provide enough income incentive for them to consider dumping MWO for a NEW MW5-online, then that would most certainly be good for PGI and fans in general, but bad for those folks who want their accounts maintained. MW5 looks to be a very different game than MWO. Totally different customization pattern, half the mechs in this game don’t even exist, etc. I don’t believe for a moment that there will be any sort of porting of accounts should PGI gain enough from the MW5 “success” to allow them to develop such a game, yet I likewise don’t believe that if MW5 is such a success that they will keep MWO around.

#53 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I hope it succeeds and I hope it lays the groundwork for an engine change and makeover of MWO, provided they transfer accounts and owned mechs to the new version.

It's very good that they didn't do a kickstarter or any other type of crowdfunding for MW5 because it would have failed, their reputation is too bad for that. If they have a really good playable demo to build some hype and trust in the new title, then maybe they can get some preorders in. Hopefully they will simply finance the game internally and release it as a finished product.

I'm not personally that interested in MW5 other than as groundwork for future "MWO2", but I do think it's important that it succeeds to secure the future and continued development of both MWO and the mechwarrior franchise.

PGI can’t afford MW5 to flop over backwards for two reasons:

1. They’ll be in financial trouble like everyone has said and confidence in PGI from the community will be 300% nonexistent which does lead to the second reason

2. As much as Microsoft don’t have too much of a care as where the money comes from, if MW5 flops, trust from Microsoft will evaporate into thin air. Don’t be surprised if Microsoft does step in because PGI just cost Microsoft quite a bit of money. PGI holds the rights to do battletech but that doesn’t mean they ultimately hold it. Microsoft will have the last say in it unless something has changed since MW4.

#54 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Mwo is pgi's only source of income on a steady basis unless hbs is shelling out a lot to use the mech assets or if it was a one time payment deal. I expect mw5 to be bad givien pgis past games before mwo as well as including all the things they've screwed up in mwo.

Just because unreal is a newer engine doesn't mean pgi won't do the same things they've done here. Bad map design,bad game design and horrible use of ai ruins games no matter how up to date and pretty the graphics are. I'm concerned with only one thing: mod support. Let us have control over it for once. Look back at how quickly pgi shut down that color blind mod some one did in less than a month yet pgi has done zip for years about.

Pgi better be taking notice of the loot box and micro-transactions bull crap too. They tack that into mw5 then expect it to fail hard. Who the hell is that dumb to throw away $60 then have to shell out more $ just to hope to rngjesus to 'upgrade.' I think think of a lot of things $60 can be used for besides just a video game.

#55 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 12 October 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Mwo is pgi's only source of income on a steady basis unless hbs is shelling out a lot to use the mech assets or if it was a one time payment deal. I expect mw5 to be bad givien pgis past games before mwo as well as including all the things they've screwed up in mwo.

Just because unreal is a newer engine doesn't mean pgi won't do the same things they've done here. Bad map design,bad game design and horrible use of ai ruins games no matter how up to date and pretty the graphics are. I'm concerned with only one thing: mod support. Let us have control over it for once. Look back at how quickly pgi shut down that color blind mod some one did in less than a month yet pgi has done zip for years about.

Pgi better be taking notice of the loot box and micro-transactions bull crap too. They tack that into mw5 then expect it to fail hard. Who the hell is that dumb to throw away $60 then have to shell out more $ just to hope to rngjesus to 'upgrade.' I think think of a lot of things $60 can be used for besides just a video game.

A lot of people actually. However, just like the supply caches in MWO, RNGesus is going to be cruel because $$$.

#56 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 October 2017 - 02:31 AM, said:

If it flops, this game gets updated and we continue to muddle along for as long as mech packs keep PGI afloat.

If it succeeds, then MWO ceases to exist within a year. PGI will be convinced of their amazing game development skills and they will create a MWO2 based on the MW5 game, and we will all get to start over. There will be no account transfers or continuations. MW5 is a smashing success then MWO dies. That is what I suspect will happen.

If it flops, without PGI going under, then they will most likely do as Bud says, re-launch MWO with the unreal engine and a whole bunch of "unreal" promises.

I actually think it's likely that even if MW5 is a success that they will do this simply because there's a sucker born every minute, and the die hards will flock to it even as they complain about it.

View PostKhobai, on 12 October 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

im sure theyll sell mechpacks for MW5 too... I mean MW4 did it... and MWO. so why not MW5 too?

itll be hilarious paying a second time for the same exact models used in the mechpacks we bought for MWO

PGI is gonna recycle MWO mechpacks for MW5

Hell yes they are. They already will have the basic mech models and artwork paid for by that time. Why would'nt they repackage them and sell them as DLC? Would cost them very little and offer them a 2nd or 3rd opportunity to wring more cash out of a single product.

2nd being the use of mech models from MWO to MW5, big head start, less overhead generated.

3rd being the re-launch of MWO with the unreal engine, which was already paid for in producing MW5. No brainer, less start up costs and a core group of people ready to spend all over again because....well.....SHINY THINGS......"Look it's an Eagle!" with PGI as the fisherman and and the Community as the bear:

Edited by TLBFestus, 12 October 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#57 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

I don't know if it is kicking exactly (granted these are just numbers on QP leaderboards): https://i.imgur.com/wzglEFg.png
I doubt it will flop but whether people trust PGI to do a sequel is another story.

I have graphics that show numbers way better than that.

#58 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Honestly, anyone who thinks MW5 will not have DLC for MP and Clan 'mechs either hasn't been paying attention to the games industry for the last 10 years, or has very high hopes for the moral integrity of PGI.

[Edit] I say this is someone who only wants a SP MW5 and actually likes the idea of a MW game w/o Clan 'mechs, even though I do like a good number of them. /Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 12 October 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#59 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 12 October 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

I have graphics that show numbers way better than that.

Not really the point.....

#60 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 12 October 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Not really the point.....

What's the meaning of life?

1 user(s) are reading this topic