Civil War: Escalation Mech Pack Challenges!

103 replies to this topic

#41 PlayerUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 241 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUSA CALIFORNIA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

I.s finally got a dual gauss mech it can use. but due to er ppc gauss penalties its a basic mech -_-

#42 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 19 October 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky enough to have some time for MWO, actually feel up to trying to jump in to the mess, and ruin some 'New MechPack Owner's day... Either that, or I'll be off in another dimension, doing something totally else... I've heard of this planet with some quote-unquote "Vaults" to find, and plenty of area to explore. I wonder if I should follow my curiosity, and check that out? Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "I think someone has opened my mental equivalent of Pandora's Box... What will ensue now?" Devnull

If you haven't played through the Borderlands games, just go ahead and do it. They're awesome.

#43 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Ack! I should have been more clear!

Civil War: Event
  • This is to replace the Leaderboard event that is standard!
  • It's better than a leaderboard in my opinion because everyone who bought gets the same stuff not just the top players.
  • The reason I chose to run it all month was for players who bought all packs! (or can't play all the time)
  • I will never give tournament supporter pack bonus' on an event that is Mech pack exclusive! IT"S BAD
  • Some players buy TSP but no mech pack is excluded
  • Players who buy Mech Pack but no TSP is excluded
  • the event is already exclusive no need to add another layer to that. :)

As for the specific get X damage design,
  • I wanted players to use each new chassis to get the reward! Damage is good metric because that is what you primarily do in the game. (well, some of you ;) )
  • I could do Minimum match score and require X matches but I felt damage was better as you could complete it faster if you have a good match I bet some of you could do each variant in 1 match each.
  • at this moment I am thanking my lucky stars I didn't base if of Matchscore! aren't you?
OK? Glad I cleared that up

Next!

Event Window vs Website
  • THE REDEEM BUTTON IS LIVE ON THE WEBSITE - If you have issues with the ingame browser we have full functionality on the website NOW!
  • WOOHOO!
  • Sorry for those that had to wait!
  • If you played and achieved a reward but somehow missed out on that reward somehow please contact support!
  • Be nice to support they are good people and are here to help you!

FINALLY,

THere are more EVENTS COMING SOON for everyone! With TSP Bonus'!
  • I want to run an IS vs IS event and a Clan VS Clan but I am still working on the details to improve on the last faction play event! With Extra Rewards for TSP owners
  • The Halloween Lootbag event (Where you could win the new cockpit items in the patch!)
  • With extra redeems for pack and TSP owners
  • Currently, there isn't a way for me to have an event that is both counted FP and QP in the current system.
  • I have a list of improvements for the Event system and we will see what we can do to keep improving things!

Last but not least
  • Exciting new content coming to the TSP!
  • The Tournament Supporter Pack - The Pack that just keeps giving!

SIDE NOTE:
  • Keep the feedback coming I am listening and hearing you!
  • I really value well thought out constructive feedback.
  • Even when I don't get to respond to each and every concern I do hear them. (from Tina and Support and Twitter and PM's and NGNG and Russ and QA)
  • please keep in mind sometimes we have technical or time constraints.

Thanks!
Matt

#44 zaathul

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the clarifications. You guys must have a great mental health program at PGI for all the abuse dished out!

#45 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 19 October 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Spoiler

Awesome news, thanks a lot Matt! Looking forward to the new additions to the TSP.

Could you enlighten me if I can use the (S) variants for the standard pack challenges? It's the same variant and I'm not a huge fan of keeping the standard variant, when I already have a special variant.

#46 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostGasoline, on 19 October 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Awesome news, thanks a lot Matt! Looking forward to the new additions to the TSP. Could you enlighten me if I can use the (S) variants for the standard pack challenges? It's the same variant and I'm not a huge fan of keeping the standard variant, when I already have a special variant.

You need the Standard version to complete the standard versions of the Challenge.
The (S) will only count for the Collectors Challenge.

#47 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

View Postzaathul, on 19 October 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the clarifications. You guys must have a great mental health program at PGI for all the abuse dished out!

The way I look at it is. Everybody who post on the forums and expresses themselves cares about the game.
We have amazingly passionate players who love for Battletech and MechWarrior and it is a core part of their being.
I have co-workers here who are the same way.
For me, the very first PC I bought was a Pentium 133 with a Matrox Mystique Video card.
The video card happened to include a copy of MechWarrior 2.
I played it so much my first serious girlfriend broke up with me. (True story Bro)

Now, all that love may manifest itself in Black Knighting or White Knighting or Grey Knighting (is that a thing?) but it is all sides of the same coin. That coin is a deep care and desire for MWO to be the best it possibly can be.

Also, Beer... Beer helps.

P.S.
Don't take this as "it's ok to be a black knight" post. We should all strive to make this game as enjoyable for each other as possible. Terms of Service and Code of Conduct still apply. Don't TK and Don't try to ruin other peoples fun.

#48 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Ack! I should have been more clear!

Civil War: Event
  • This is to replace the Leaderboard event that is standard!
  • It's better than a leaderboard in my opinion because everyone who bought gets the same stuff not just the top players.
  • The reason I chose to run it all month was for players who bought all packs! (or can't play all the time)
  • I will never give tournament supporter pack bonus' on an event that is Mech pack exclusive! IT"S BAD
  • Some players buy TSP but no mech pack is excluded
  • Players who buy Mech Pack but no TSP is excluded
  • the event is already exclusive no need to add another layer to that. Posted Image
As for the specific get X damage design,
  • I wanted players to use each new chassis to get the reward! Damage is good metric because that is what you primarily do in the game. (well, some of you Posted Image )
  • I could do Minimum match score and require X matches but I felt damage was better as you could complete it faster if you have a good match I bet some of you could do each variant in 1 match each.
  • at this moment I am thanking my lucky stars I didn't base if of Matchscore! aren't you?
OK? Glad I cleared that up

Next!

Event Window vs Website
  • THE REDEEM BUTTON IS LIVE ON THE WEBSITE - If you have issues with the ingame browser we have full functionality on the website NOW!
  • WOOHOO!
  • Sorry for those that had to wait!
  • If you played and achieved a reward but somehow missed out on that reward somehow please contact support!
  • Be nice to support they are good people and are here to help you!
FINALLY,

THere are more EVENTS COMING SOON for everyone! With TSP Bonus'!
  • I want to run an IS vs IS event and a Clan VS Clan but I am still working on the details to improve on the last faction play event! With Extra Rewards for TSP owners
  • The Halloween Lootbag event (Where you could win the new cockpit items in the patch!)
  • With extra redeems for pack and TSP owners
  • Currently, there isn't a way for me to have an event that is both counted FP and QP in the current system.
  • I have a list of improvements for the Event system and we will see what we can do to keep improving things!
Last but not least
  • Exciting new content coming to the TSP!
  • The Tournament Supporter Pack - The Pack that just keeps giving!
SIDE NOTE:
  • Keep the feedback coming I am listening and hearing you!
  • I really value well thought out constructive feedback.
  • Even when I don't get to respond to each and every concern I do hear them. (from Tina and Support and Twitter and PM's and NGNG and Russ and QA)
  • please keep in mind sometimes we have technical or time constraints.
Thanks!
Matt

Thanks Matt!

#49 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

You know, Matt...unless you were in charge of the TSP, it shouldn't be your decision to withhold TSP bonuses from any event 'because you think it's bad.' The decision to promise TSP rewards for 'all events' passed through all levels of approval to make it to implementation. You should not be able to unilaterally change this after the Packs are sold.

"Some players buy TSP but no Mech Pack is (are) excluded." Because I only bought Osiris and Arctic Wolf basic packs, I am excluded from the Collector's Pack, Hero add-on, Reinforcement add-on, and all Nightstar and Nova Cat rewards. I don't expect the removal of these rewards for events for which I didn't pay to participate. This is just how it works. TSP rewards are not handed out to TSP owners for NOT participating even in events which are open to everyone...they still require the completion of the challenge to qualify for them. People had to purchase seldom-used ballistic weapons to complete some of the Go Ballistic challenges...those who didn't pay didn't play. I don't begrudge people from being rewarded for the things that they've purchased and I haven't. That's part of the decision process to either purchase new mechs via Mech Packs or to wait for MC/C-Bill sales.

"Players who buy (a) Mech Pack and no TSP is (are) excluded." Here's a shocker...they're excluded from EVERY TSP bonus whether they buy a Mech Pack or not, BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T BUY THE TSP.

#50 Bobby Jubraj

Staff

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 19 October 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

This man speaks the truth Posted Image

#51 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for clearing things up, Matt! The exclusive nature of the current event combined with lack of a concurrent event "for everyone else" did raise some serious concerns (as in "what the f*ck have they been smoking?"Posted Image) Glad to hear it's not the case, looking forward to grabbing some loot bags Posted Image

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 19 October 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#52 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I think that eliminating the leaderboard without replacing it with some other competitive angle isn't the right way to go here. I don't personally care, and don't buy mech packs anymore, but there are a LOT of people who dig that sort of thing.

I didn't see anything about concurrent events...and I really do think you need them on release day. Look, mech sales are your big income source right? Unless you've got something else to replace that with then releasing new mechs needs to be a bigger deal than it is in-game right now. Leader boards, personal challenge events for everyone, etc. No, it doesn't need to be a lot of cash and it doesn't have to be "shoot the new guy!"...but if it's not there a mech release sorta fades away. I don't even know which mechs were released today, and probably won't other than seeing them in game...unless there's a reason for me to look for them, like a challenge to TAG one.

The guys with the new rides like having plenty of targets and even a "play every day that the new mech pack guys have an event" bonus gets people to show up. Throw me an extra 10,000 cbills each game that I play over 100 match score during the event and I'll be there. Cap it at an extra 100,000 per day. That's fine, it's like one round of QP. No big deal, but it's something. You can double that for the TSP holders or just add one extra 10,000 for the first or fifth match or whatever and you've lost so little it only bears commenting because of the futility of caring about 10,000 cbills...all while making TSP holders happy and continuing to promote both it and the tournament.

Just add "something" man...if you can do that RIGHT NOW it'd satisfy plenty of people who are irked and shaking their heads while not causing any real consternation amongst the white knights who want PGI to keep all that tasty cash to themselves (like cbills can be spent...).

You don't even have to have a good explanation for it. No one really cares. The angry people will throw up their hands and say "about time!" while the Defenders Of The Realm aren't going to see any significant payout to gripe about either.

Yes, there's lots of "stuff" on the way...if Halloween didn't have an event I might actually be disturbed...but that doesn't change the need to maintain the little bit of continuity we've got going on here. If you really want to eliminate larger events during mech pack releases....well, I think it's a terrible idea but it's your game...but you still should ramp down rather than disappearing the competetive/show up at all/reason to play angle all at once.

...I mean, seriously, all that's left to this game is a grind and a vaguely fun team deathmatch you can hop into when you feel like zapping robots. It's not deep. We get that...but we've really only got a very few reasons to even care to show up and pop some PPCs downrange as it is. Eliminating some of them leaves...what? The excitement of a years and years old game that's not got any depth and isn't developing at all with maps and graphics that never change etc? It's not enough man. It's not that people won't show up...but there's a reason I'm on these forums typing right now instead of playing and there's tons of other people doing the same.

I shut off a search for scouting matches earlier today. Hours...no hits...I realized it'd been almost three hours I'd been running it in the background waiting to see that flashing icon while I worked. I mean, I got some work done, but I also blew a ton of time on the internet because work blows. It would've been in-game if I'd had a point to playing in QP, even if it was a tiny and useless one like 10,000 cbills. Instead it just illustrated how few people are playing for any reason. I don't expect much out of FP/CW, but scouting always pops matches. If the handful of people who play the scouting game regularly are doing QP and I can't even get a game...at ALL...then the population issues are pretty damn serious and, seriously man, you need to keep the little things that work heated up and delivering.

Ciao. I'm off to tally up clarifications to a spec I really don't want to look at. It'd be great to feel a tiny bit of motivation to fire up MWO instead.

#53 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostJames Argent, on 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

You know, Matt...unless you were in charge of the TSP, it shouldn't be your decision to withhold TSP bonuses from any event 'because you think it's bad.' The decision to promise TSP rewards for 'all events' passed through all levels of approval to make it to implementation. You should not be able to unilaterally change this after the Packs are sold.

I guess we just learned that, if a PGI staffmember for the view that "it's BAD", that's a sufficient reason for PGI to not provide what the promotional pre-sales web page says the TSP will provide.

Which is... surprising. But Matt I appreciate your posting here and clarifying your position for us.

I wouldn't have qualified anyway for the reward anyway, so it makes no difference to me. As Matt correctly states, all I care about is MWO and its playerbase. It worries me when I see PGI make customer-unfriendly decisions that undermine their own game and revenue stream.

EDIT: Matt's change of mind on TSP bonuses is appreciated.

Edited by Appogee, 19 October 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#54 Sleepyboy14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationChicago, Terra

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

For me, the very first PC I bought was a Pentium 133 with a Matrox Mystique Video card.
I played it so much my first serious girlfriend broke up with me. (True story Bro)

Funny, my first experience with MechWarrior was MechWarrior 2 on PC although I remember bits of it as a kid and playing MechAssault 1 and 2 on the Xbox back in the early 2000s.

Edited by SonolentoMetalREX, 19 October 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#55 RolandDT

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

First off, let me express my sincere thanks to you for reaching out to the community. A little communication goes a long way. Secondly, thank you for your efforts on these events, and to the rest of PGI for making a game we all enjoy.

I will never give tournament supporter pack bonus' on an event that is Mech pack exclusive! IT"S BAD

It's rare I find something to actually complain about vocally, instead of internally in my head before moving on with my life because it's not worth me getting annoyed over, but I am annoyed by this. We TSP purchasers were told we would get bonuses throughout the rest of the year on all events. It was this decision that was the tipping point for me to purchase the pack (I had not in previous years due to not finding the value in the cosmetics for the cost), and although I was leaning towards purchasing the pack anyway this bonus made me go out of my way to tell my friends who play MWO about this great offer. It was an easy sell. Now I know one event out of the numerous ones already done is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does feel slightly disingenuous to offer something for sale, on the basis of X, and then down the road (after numerous purchases have been made) "certain exclusions apply, without notification (or really proper justification)." If you honestly felt that those who did not purchase the Mech packs were being excluded, even if they purchased the TSP, you should have come up with a smaller event that included everyone. I don't know how feasible that would have been (time and/or technical constraints), but it's been done ad nauseum in the past, so it can't be terribly difficult.

Lastly, just for clarification:
In order to receive ANY of the rewards, you must complete each individual challenge with all listed mechs, correct? For example, the Standard Pack Challenge requires meeting the damage score with all *3* mechs, instead of only a single one or combination of the three? Or am I wrong on this? While I think the event overall is decent (not the best we've had, far from the worst), even with 12 days to complete that is a significant amount of play time to invest in getting all the rewards on mechs that have just dropped - mechs that may require significant investment of XP and C-Bills in order to be viable to complete the challenges. Just some thoughts - not necessarily a complaint.

Thank you again for your communication and efforts. Hopefully we can all work together to foster a thriving, positive gaming community.

#56 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

The way I look at it is. Everybody who post on the forums and expresses themselves cares about the game.
We have amazingly passionate players who love for Battletech and MechWarrior and it is a core part of their being.
I have co-workers here who are the same way.

Now, all that love may manifest itself in Black Knighting or White Knighting or Grey Knighting (is that a thing?) but it is all sides of the same coin. That coin is a deep care and desire for MWO to be the best it possibly can be.

P.S.
Don't take this as "it's ok to be a black knight" post. We should all strive to make this game as enjoyable for each other as possible. Terms of Service and Code of Conduct still apply. Don't TK and Don't try to ruin other peoples fun.

I always appreciate if a person has the courage to open up, and speak about himself. There are always stories behind the persona that make him the character he is today, sharing them makes it easier for people to relate to that person.

Thanks for sharing, Matt :)

#57 a frying pan to the CT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the web page event redeems, I'm very happy, and I could claim some of them. But the Kurita rewards are saying 'Locked Faction Content', and I am definitely a Kurita loyalist.

#58 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 18 October 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

How about fixing the horrendous match score bug first!

How did it even break in the first place?

Is there any secret changes that are not reflected in the patch notes?
Does anyone tampers with the final approved patch before it goes live?

that might be the "end of round" problem they were talking about. I need to see the formula they're using for QP because it sucks big time. The new event is just as bad 1K damage in all the mechs in the standard pack. I might have bought the pack because I like one build right now and then when it goes on sale for Cbills I can fine tune the configs to something I like. The events are biased to brawlers. people who play support don't get a chance since they don't always do damage. This event might be another waste of my time. Too many and I just might not bother with events since they just waste time I could be using elsewhere.

#59 a frying pan to the CT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

Also, my account only increased by 6million cbills, when it should have gone up by 10million for completing all the Battle of Luthien special event requirements: the 4million 'Spoils of War IS Defeat' did not pay out even though it says it has been redeemed.

#60 Wuffel

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thx for the info, Matt.

Can you make it that all the players can participate in IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan event? This might also be a nice opportunity to reset loyalties (in order to balance populations/rewards).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users