Certain Units Are The Reason This Game Is Losing Players.

405 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

From getting certain things removed/nerfed to making faction play un-fun, here are the things why particular units are ruining it for everyone else.A Unit got Knock-down removed because they angered Paul (who is in charge of balance) and back when there was better jump-jets a unit or more would all buy DS Victors and proceed to slap on x2 PPC and 1 AC10 then just jump around like no tomorrow, which caused tons of QQ because people couldn't target them.

When i play FW sometimes I go against 8-12 Unit Drops that just massacre my team by using either the most meta mech they can find or they all use the same mech/build and they just peekaboo laservomit alpha or destroy leg srm rush, soon after they proceed to camp drop-ships and destroy objs until it is 1-10% and just farm the opponents without giving them a chance. The players that are not in a unit just get stomped and they don't deal much damage because they get focused down while securing no cbill prize and they think to themselves "Is this really worth it? I mean I get stomped every game and I can't do anything because i'm getting obliterated as soon as i drop or poke my head out, the game lasts 30 minutes and i only make 100,000-300,000...which i could make much more if i play QP" to top this off, there are times when they will act so arrogant and wave around their Epeen "oh you wouldn't have a chance even if you tried" "GG Easy" "You guys are bad" and when people start running off the map or blowing themselves up they start to call you names and say they will report you for not letting them have more kills to which they already have.

People are getting tired or perhaps are already tired of FP because the games there are toxic and often one-sided....not to mention also annoying to deal with if you get a unit in the opposite drop.

If i was allowed to name and shame the Units I would most certainly do it.

I just don't want skittles to fight fully coordinated 8-12 man teams(but that can't happen because the 12 man only feature got removed), that's going to be a loss increased to 75-100%. I don't think players should be forced to join a unit because a couple players have all grouped up and slaughtered them (they are probably going to join a unit and they will still lose vs that unit because of so much meta-game) I also think FW shouldn't be 'Unit Only Land' because the faction rewards are supposed to be for everyone (Pugs can still earn them but at a very low rate due to tech and matchmaking) .

the 12 man teamwork can be annoying to deal with if you are a pug and having to deal with that many times is going to scare some people off because the 12 man drops won't even give them a chance and just say "GG" when the game went 12-48 after wiping them out, on some occasions people will take advantage of this and say more propaganda nonsense "Join our UNIT"...like what? so i can take advantage of poor matchmaking/balancing and do this to more pugs and ruin it for them just so i can enjoy it all myself and soon have them quit FP and make it a ghost town?

There needs to be change....

P.S

the "thinking" comment i used with the quotation marks was meant to put myself in the shoes of the PUGs who deal with that on either a daily basis or once in a few games, i see pugs deal no more than 500 damage because of those particular units just taking advantage of everything they have and just deny them damage and play like they are super dangerous or they just don't care and want to proceed to the next game to stomp more.

I often deal 850-14k on loss, depending how long the match lasts, or if i get spawn camped...I know it isn't good damage but if i had clan mechs it would be much more but i don't want to leave I.S.
A unit would be so much easier because i would have teamwork and proper tactics to counteract particular play-styles
(mass LaserVomit peekaboo or Linebacker SRM rush) and have an increased chance of winning.

Edited by Armored Yokai, 03 November 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#2 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

It's always been like that. I suggest grouping up with some of the bigger groups.

I know Kurita has a public TS. We do in FRR all the time,and we often group up to play.

But skittles v groups,often ends in bad ways. Now there are times,when the skittles do outplay the groups and that's glorious to watch.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't blame units. It's a universal rule that if a game allows for crappy play, than crappy play you shall receive. It just is how it is.

It's FPs poor design that allows this kind of thing to happen, either intentionally on the units part or not.

Really, if you're playing FP and wondering 'is this worth it,' guess what - It isn't. The modes jacked for solo players, and any bad feelings you have for it have been hard earned by a mode that was half-baked when first introduced, and it still haven't reached safe eatting temperatures, and probably never will.

#4 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

Join Bacon! We are recruiting! :D

#5 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostBombast, on 30 October 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Honestly, I wouldn't blame units. It's a universal rule that if a game allows for crappy play, than crappy play you shall receive. It just is how it is.

It's FPs poor design that allows this kind of thing to happen, either intentionally on the units part or not.

Really, if you're playing FP and wondering 'is this worth it,' guess what - It isn't. The modes jacked for solo players, and any bad feelings you have for it have been hard earned by a mode that was half-baked when first introduced, and it still haven't reached safe eatting temperatures, and probably never will.

I Play FP for the 1 Mil and i'm trying to get that huge MC bonus on Max Kurita Rank, the purpose of this topic was to tackle people who do this and ruin it for everyone else by doing this and your post gives good explanation as to why it's also flawed.

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

groups vs pugs shouldnt even be a thing

there should be two buckets: one for pugs and one for groups

if groups have to wait longer to find a match, too damn bad, but pugs shouldnt suffer for their convenience

#7 Defender Rococo Rockfowl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 121 posts
  • LocationYou might be having more fun playing post-apocalyptic survival game Miscreated

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 30 October 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

From getting certain things removed/nerfed to making faction play un-fun, here are the things why particular units are ruining it for everyone else.A Unit got Knock-down removed because they angered Paul (who is in charge of balance) and back when there was better jump-jets a unit or more would all buy DS Victors and proceed to slap on x2 PPC and 1 AC10 then just jump around like no tomorrow, which caused tons of QQ because people couldn't target them.

When i play FW sometimes I go against 8-12 Unit Drops that just massacre my team by using either the most meta mech they can find or they all use the same mech/build and they just peekaboo laservomit alpha or destroy leg srm rush, soon after they proceed to camp drop-ships and destroy objs until it is 1-10% and just farm the opponents without giving them a chance. The players that are not in a unit just get stomped and they don't deal much damage because they get focused down while securing no cbill prize and they think to themselves "Is this really worth it? I mean I get stomped every game and I can't do anything because i'm getting obliterated as soon as i drop or poke my head out, the game lasts 30 minutes and i only make 100,000-300,000...which i could make much more if i play QP" to top this off, there are times when they will act so arrogant and wave around their Epeen "oh you wouldn't have a chance even if you tried" "GG Easy" "You guys are bad" and when people start running off the map or blowing themselves up they start to call you names and say they will report you for not letting them have more kills to which they already have.

People are getting tired or perhaps are already tired of FP because the games there are toxic and often one-sided....not to mention also annoying to deal with if you get a unit in the opposite drop.

If i was allowed to name and shame the Units I would most certainly do it.

I'm idealistic by nature and when it comes to Mechwarrior, naively so.
However, this game so seems to be dying it's not even funny. I masochistically continue to pop in to see if it's taken a turn in the right direction but it always seems to be heading in exactly the wrong direction.
Why? Wrong dev studio awarded the rights to make a Mechwarrior game. So very sad.

I naively continue to hold my breath (but no longer buying anything).

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

FP should be locked for players unless they purchase 8 mechs of that faction. Sick of seeing random pugs with skill-less trial mechs.

And FFS, MWO should have a BIG warning sign when the player tries FP for the first time--that this mode is harder than QP, and not solo-friendly, and he should join a unit for better experience.

Heck, if a dedicated solo-qer like me learned to join a unit and shine in FP, other pugs sure as hell can.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 October 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#9 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 October 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

FP should be locked for players unless they purchase 8 mechs of that faction. Sick of seeing random pugs with skill-less trial mechs.

And FFS, MWO should have a BIG warning sign when the player tries FP for the first time--that this mode is harder than QP, and not solo-friendly, and he should join a unit for better experience.

Heck, if a dedicated solo-qer like me learned to join a unit and shine in FP, other pugs sure as hell can.

That implies PGI cares,and wants to put forth the effort to do so.

And if the last year or so is any indication,that's gonna be a negative ghost rider.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

even the best pugs are gonna struggle vs 12 mans though

the best solution remains simply to not allow groups to sealclub pugs. seperate buckets for pugs and groups.

if people want to play in groups they will simply have to endure a longer wait time. that is the price for wanting to play in a group.

or as a compromise do something like this:

have seperate buckets, one for pugs, and one for groups. if both buckets are half-full and looking for a match, and neither bucket can find a match within X minutes, then it will open a release valve that allows a pug vs group match.

that would be acceptable as well. thats still preferable to a ghost drop.

Edited by Khobai, 30 October 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#11 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

It is not the fault of units that the game has giant, sucking wounds where quality design was supposed to be. They didn't choose to have their full-preform dropped against a bunch of randoms, PGI's desperate attempts to salvage a bad game mode forced them into it, and all they can do is play the game.

#12 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

There's a problem I don't see brought up enough - That new/casual players cannot make a proper drop deck unless every single mechbay they start with is dedicated to FP.

I feel like making buying mechbays mandatory may be a problem.

#13 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Spawn camping is the number one reason i quit fp. If you think watching your 3 or 2 mechs left in your drop deck getting insta killed as it falls from the ship while you can't do jack **** about it is fun than fp is great. Add in the fact is mechs have no chance at all to be competitive against clan or they are quickly nerfed into spider 5v level of use from clan crybabies. Fp is clan meta 100% At least in solo q I can play the is mechs and take non meta fun builds and enjoy playing the game.

#14 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

If they require all the mechd in your dropdeck to be mastered, it might help. It 1st rules out trial mechs as an option, and also garuntees that person has used the mech quite a bit and are at least familiar with how the mech workd. It also negates the possibility of enemy premades having just better mech stats in addition to teamwork. Thats still a wee lil problem id say.

Also, get some in game links to community run 3rd party voice hubs, so once people show interest in fw, and read the units dominate section, theyll have a roadmap of were to find said units for edumacation.

#15 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

No one can fix this situation. Teams that behave as described above are ruining retention and driving entire teams away so they can "feel important." The team I am on hasn't dropped in FP since early June. In fact, there are no more than 8 players a month on-line anymore of the 57 of us. They all went somewhere, some game else.... Congrats ! Several other teams are about half as big as they were.
No one can fis thei situation and in the near term, well, there's no one to play anymore..... Teams should be restricted to Comp and FP and not allowed in QP.....

#16 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 30 October 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

Join Bacon! We are recruiting! Posted Image

Might have to hit you guys up for a few games one the Nov 1st mech pack has been announced.

#17 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

First off, we didn't get knock down removed because we angered Paul. Were we abusing a mechanic on a staff member? Yes, i mean anyone can look it up it's still there. Was Paul angry about it? Probably not, i imagine like any normal dev/balance overlord/etc. would look at it as a broken mechanic that either needs to be fixed/polished by next patch or removed completely until a later date pending an overhaul (or take the easy way out since it was Beta stage, shelve it). Dragon Bowling while fun to do, was ruining the experience for other players so when Paul was getting bowled, he now understood what many others have went through and thus brought it up to the team etc. In fact, Paul has a sense of humor (if you were around during a certain novel) and it wouldn't go over well with us if it was removed simply because of an anger issue.

Moving on to FP, rule #1 is you better have a team going in or you're going to have a bad time. As far as dropping against full unit teams (ANY unit i might add), think of it as a game of chess, but the pieces are you and your team's mechs. Any unit can be beat if you can coordinate the pieces the right way. If you go in, see the guys you're dropping against and act like "oh it's these guys, no way we can win with these pugs." GUESS WHAT?! You just signed up for a loss right then and there if that's the attitude you're going in with. As far as "gg ez"/banter goes don't let it get to you, if that's how they want to act then let them. MWO is by far the least toxic game i've played if any toxic at all, so idk where that came from... unless playing meta mechs is considered toxic? If that's the case, don't read any of this at all because i'm a highly toxic player with no sense of fun at all.

#18 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

it's not really the units' fault, any more than it was MS' back in the day when they were zerging everyone. If you design a system that incentivizes ****** behavior then that's what you're gonna get, and that's exactly the system PGI have designed.

You'd like to think that the units and groups in question would behave differently, but that was always a pretty long shot

#19 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

other pugs lol

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:49 PM

View PostAsym, on 30 October 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

No one can fix this situation. Teams that behave as described above are ruining retention and driving entire teams away so they can "feel important." The team I am on hasn't dropped in FP since early June. In fact, there are no more than 8 players a month on-line anymore of the 57 of us. They all went somewhere, some game else.... Congrats ! Several other teams are about half as big as they were. No one can fis thei situation and in the near term, well, there's no one to play anymore..... Teams should be restricted to Comp and FP and not allowed in QP.....

Not only your suggestion doesn't help OP, cause OP's beef is with FP units, but it is a bad idea in general. Without the ability to drop in group queue, there will be even less of an incentive to form units and drop together.

View PostxVLFBERHxT, on 30 October 2017 - 11:27 PM, said:

other pugs lol

There are plenty of them choosing to complain in forums instead of doing things in their power to have better chance of winning in FP.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 October 2017 - 11:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users