Wanna Get Better? Get A New Mouse.

81 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

I just bought this the other week, and started using it. https://www.newegg.c...3-124-_-Product

I must say, i was never one that thought a good mouse and a normal mouse was that big of difference. I thought it could help a little, but didn't think it could possibly be that big of a difference. If there was ever a time to say "I've couldn't have been MORE wrong" this is it. I guess for one, i never really knew what the heck a DPI switch was so i was mainly thinking about the buttons. (we won't mention having a third button that actually works every time (Posted Image ) those 4th/5th thumb buttons are pretty sweet. I'm thinking about mapping one to armlock/toggle, as hitting the key can often loose precious time and cause me to miss the shot.

The biggest shocker was the whole size/weight issue. Being larger and a bit heavier probably about +50-60% on both sides, it makes the mouse slides smoother with more control and feel. Itit is s more precise in motion, verse just flicking my wrist. i find i'm moving my hand verse just my wrist getting more precise movement.

The last thing is that DPI switch that i had no clue what it did. It has 5 settings. I use number 4, there is one slower. What a difference. I'm finding even with lasers i can keep my aim on one torso location even while moving fast like in the case of brawling. It's basically slowed the whole game down, and makes it feel a lot less "twitch"

Even just after 2 days of use i can't believe how much better i am playing and so much more confident with my aim. There is no doubt that this 30 dollar purchase has had a major effect/improvement for me.

Anyone that is using a normal mouse and feels they have suspect aim at times, i highly suggest getting a new mouse. Call me one of the converted. I will NEVER use a normal mouse again for a shooter style game. Now next year when i finally upgrade my comp and get a smooth 60+ FPS i will be golden! Posted Image

#2 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

You don't actually need a new mouse.

1. Reduce mouse sensitivity.
2. Buy a huge freakin' mouse pad. Better yet, just turn your entire desk into a mouse pad if possible.
3. Aim with your arm, not your hand (unless like me your arm is literally strapped to your side because of shoulder surgery)
4. Match your mouse DPI to your monitor and to what makes you feel comfortable. There is no magic bullet for this one. You actually have to try things and see what keeps you from over or under-shooting your targets when moving the mouse.
5. Go find a game that lets your practice precision shooting. I personally use Overwatch because the training room lets you set headshot only, you can pick a sniper character (Widowmaker), and then an enemy that can't hurt you (Anna) which makes practicing precision shooting easier.

As for the mouse you're shilling, nowhere near enough buttons for MWO :P

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

The rare double shill - One for a mouse (OP) and one for a game (Xavori).

Why isn't there a 'no solicitation' option in the forum settings?

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostBombast, on 05 December 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

The rare double shill - One for a mouse (OP) and one for a game (Xavori).

Why isn't there a 'no solicitation' option in the forum settings?

sounds like someone needs to buy a mechpack

#5 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Tbf i think I've gotten better after i got a mouse with programmable buttons. I don't use the macro feature, but having more then3 buttons seems to help with gameplay.

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

You don't need to buy or download a game to improve your aiming, just go to AimBooster.

As for mouse, you just need one that's comfortable for you. I.E. for me i prefer the R.A.T. Pro X because it's super light and smooth even with a mediocre pad.

#7 So You Say

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

I wont play if I don't have my Corsair M65 mouse. I have keys mapped to arty-strike, UAV, zoom toggle, spot and a third weapons group. I am considering moving to a Corsair Scimitar for even more buttons.

#8 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Use a trackball myself.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

if you want to get better use a steering wheel

but get one with lots of buttons

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 05 December 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

The biggest shocker was the whole size/weight issue. Being larger and a bit heavier probably about +50-60% on both sides, it makes the mouse slides smoother with more control and feel. Itit is s more precise in motion, verse just flicking my wrist. i find i'm moving my hand verse just my wrist getting more precise movement.

Weight is actually bad. The increased mass requires more force to move, which means your fine aiming is less precise since it's easier to overshoot how much force you need to apply. Think of it like the dead-zone on a joystick. A lot of people think the weight helps their aim, but it's really a crutch for being unwilling to hone fine motor skills.

The better option is a lighter mouse with a lower DPI setting and a bigger mousing surface.

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 December 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Weight is actually bad. The increased mass requires more force to move, which means your fine aiming is less precise since it's easier to overshoot how much force you need to apply. Think of it like the dead-zone on a joystick. A lot of people think the weight helps their aim, but it's really a crutch for being unwilling to hone fine motor skills.

The better option is a lighter mouse with a lower DPI setting and a bigger mousing surface.

I'll take my crutch, thank you.

#12 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 December 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

Everyone has their preferences and physiology, there is literally no point in pushing one's way onto another. It's also not a case of git git gud. Maybe some are left handed or right handed or have bigger, smaller, stronger, weaker, hands, better dexterity, some are painters or modellers while others are construction workers or programmers, bakers, etc each with a lifetime worth of using or not using a mouse, etc.

I use a Logitech Spectrum, which has customisable weights, macros, 7 programmable buttons and 4-setting on the fly DPI switch. Logitech even has Overwolf, a software for Logitech gear which even supports gameplay recording, but is quite limited. Not shilling for Logitech: companies like Razer, Microsoft, Corsair etc have similar mice just take your pick.

- weights: it gives you the ability to change the weight of the mouse to suit you. Find that you move the mouse when you press buttons? Move the mouse but the crosshairs don't? Hand gets tired after awhile? Change the weight.
- macros: nuff said. Ever wanted Gauss easy mode? Auto press Z twice to zoom?
- DPI switch: if you can change on the fly, and if you like 4x zoom sniping and find your crosshairs going crazy while in 4x, or want your crosshairs to have fine movement while laser vomiting at range, then switch to quick torso twisting during brawl without going nuts with the mouse, all in one match, then on the fly DPI switching is for you.

Yes indeed, mouse features will improve your gameplay experience and in some cases make you a better pilot, don't let anyone else tell you different. Turn you into a top 5% pro? No. Better? Yes.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postarcana75, on 05 December 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Everyone has their preferences and physiology

Nope, in this case it's just simple physics. No mass is more responsive than some mass, but you can't have zero mass.

Yes indeed, mouse features will improve your gameplay experience and in some cases make you a better pilot, don't let anyone else tell you different. Turn you into a top 5% pro? No. Better? Yes.

Absolutely. Most of us, myself included, are not good enough to realize the fringe benefit. But there's no sense in denying it's there. I was more interested in preventing wrong and bad info from being spread than telling JC to use a lighter mouse. I use a Razer Lancehead TE, and it is not a light mouse, just a damn comfortable one. Also a pretty one.

#14 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 December 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Nope, in this case it's just simple physics. No mass is more responsive than some mass, but you can't have zero mass.

I bought the Spectrum cuz I was using a normal 5-button mouse which was all-plastic and very light, and everytime I pressed the thumb buttons, the mouse moved, so I screwed up alot of my long range shots. I never realised this earlier cuz earlier my PC was just for doing work and web surfing and the thumb buttons were just to go back and forward on the browser.

When my Spectrum arrived, I put in all the weights. After 30 minutes my hand literally ached. It was too heavy, but my mouse stopped doing random movements when I pressed buttons. So I took out several weights and left in 2 weights. It's good now.

So for me, weight is important, and it's not a simple "lighter is better" equation.

#15 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

View Postarcana75, on 05 December 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

I bought the Spectrum cuz I was using a normal 5-button mouse which was all-plastic and very light, and everytime I pressed the thumb buttons, the mouse moved, so I screwed up alot of my long range shots. I never realised this earlier cuz earlier my PC was just for doing work and web surfing and the thumb buttons were just to go back and forward on the browser.

When my Spectrum arrived, I put in all the weights. After 30 minutes my hand literally ached. It was too heavy, but my mouse stopped doing random movements when I pressed buttons. So I took out several weights and left in 2 weights. It's good now.

So for me, weight is important, and it's not a simple "lighter is better" equation.

That's actually correctable with practice, and as has been pointed out, you don't want a heavy mouse for precision shooting because inertia is real. Also, if you aim with your arm and just get used to your wrist being a fixed position, you're much less likely to let your mouse move when hitting buttons because the muscles in your arm are significantly stronger than those in your finger. But again, the key part is that if you practice, you will get better. And if you practice with a light mouse, you'll wonder WTF you were thinking for ever trying to play with a heavy mouse. (this also means no cordless mice...cordless mice are unnatural spawns of demons and gym equipment pretending to be input devices)

As for my mentioning that other game...whatever. There are websites that let you practice aiming as well. The key thing is that you practice. I'm pretty sure my aim has gone to $#%$%# the last few months because I can't, and it's going to take another few months to get it back once my doc lets me start rebuilding my shoulder muscles.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

You don't use a touch screen to aim?

#17 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

FT HOPE I WIN
Posted Image

#18 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Yeah getting a better mouse can make a huge difference.

I used to play MWO at work and at home, I had the same mouse on both machines so swapping between the 2 was no issue. Then about 2 years ago I bought myself a decent Razor gaming mouse and the matching mouse pad to go with it. The difference is amazing. My performance went up (accuracy) and I can no longer play MWO at work because the mouse just aims so terribly (yet I use it all the time for CAD/modeling work). It's like the mouse is drunk.

The DPI buttons are really useful. If you are zoomed in trying to snipe or shoot long range I just it the DPI button which halves the dpi. Much smoother and easier to aim. Then when I zoom out hit the dpi (normal) button and back to twisting at full speed.

I think my next investment might be a bigger monitor. Currently a 22" thinking about going 27" or even 30". Can anyone vouch for bigger monitors having any effect?

#19 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:45 PM

View Postslide, on 05 December 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

I think my next investment might be a bigger monitor. Currently a 22" thinking about going 27" or even 30". Can anyone vouch for bigger monitors having any effect?

A couple of years ago I bought a 27" monitor and I don't regret my decision for a nanosecond, a tremendous upgrade from even the 24" monitor it replaced. I'm actually considering upgrading to a 33" to "35 4K monitor now.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#20 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

Mouse can help a lot, having a slow DPI setting is an amazing difference for MWO.

I have a cheapy off brand 3rd world country factory garbage but it has two thumb buttons and slow DPI so I feel a significant difference.

I used to have to use Q to fire 3 and R to fire 4, now I can fire without taking my finger off of my turning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users