Please Stop Using Assault Mechs As Static Missile Platforms

219 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

I get it. New players like to spam missiles because it's easy and a decent way to learn the game. However, if you can't move and shoot yet.. Get out of an assault mech. You are a detriment to the team. You are not ready to pilot one. I have seen too many 90 and 100 ton assault mechs just standing there lobbing LRMs. Get yourself a heavy mech, load that up with your LRMs, and learn to shoot while walking. Once you have mastered the art of looking at your minimap and repositioning, then you can try your hand at assaults.

The optimum range for LRMs is 200-500 meters. Anything beyond that, don't even bother firing. You will lose the lock before your missiles reach their targets. The one caveat to this rule is if you have a spotter or someone has put up a UAV, then fire away. Move with the team or they will leave your *** behind to be picked off by the enemy NASCAR. You need to learn how to reposition and fire as you are doing so. DO NOT load your mech with LRMs only. You need to be able to use other weapons when the LRMs are not able to gain a lock or too close to be ineffective.

Edited by DjPush, 13 December 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#2 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hey. If I want to run an LRM Atlas I will, thankyouverymuch.

(I don't tho)

#3 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

"But i can pack in more missiles in assaults, hit people over tiny rocks with the firing arc and have 1000m range, if anyone gets close i have these small lasers for defense."

Posted Image

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

stick merms on them and make them intermediate range skirmishers.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I went to save a Kitfox last night in my Scorch, who had accidentally stumbled into a Supernova. As I began locking on I was considering how to deal with the guy, expecting a hard fight but we were down on kills and couldn't let this laser boat sneak up along our flank. Turns out the Kitfox hadn't so much stumbled upon the guy, as lit him up for our team: the targetting computer resolved about four LRM racks and a trio of medium lasers. He tasted delicious :3

#6 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Tell me more about how to properly play a game.

If you aren't using the race car in Monopoly you're a scrub and a detriment to the housing market!

Seriously, people can play the game how they please.

#7 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostTroa Barton, on 13 December 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

If you aren't using the race car in Monopoly you're a scrub and a detriment to the housing market!

As much as i loved picking the race car as a kid, now i'm more a fan of the battleship. In order to build, first you must destroy. Posted Image

#8 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

PLEASE STOP USING ASSAULT MECHS AS STATIC MISSILE PLATFORMS

No.

Posted Image

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Unless you're going to refund me for all my assault mech purchases, no. Posted Image

#10 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

Hmmm, I played a match the other day where there was a lurm-only assault mech on the team. I was in a Warhammer and decided to cover him. We were communicating so I could get him to move up and around a bit, point out targets for him, stuff like that. When he was inevitably attacked by a lurm-boat hunter I was able to take it out. The lurmer was then able to lurm away to his heart's content, we won the match and the lurmer was an asset to our team.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I should probably have been on the frontline sharing my armour, but I got the shooter to move up and he was hitting targets that were being focused by other team members, which is usually a good thing. Now, had he just stayed put 1000m from the fight I would have moved to the frontline.

Doesn't always happen this way but it's nice when it does.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 13 December 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#11 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

With XL 300 you can remove endo steel and still got plenty of slots for more ammo on that Atlas. I miss so much volleys because team can't hold locks nowadays...you really need that extra ammo. I always tell them when the match starts, but they often don't do.

Edited by Exard3k, 13 December 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#12 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Best LRM mechs are harasser mechs.

#13 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostTroa Barton, on 13 December 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

Seriously, people can play the game how they please.

They can, but don't you think they'd like it if they got a few pointers on how to best utilize their builds?

Any fool can play an LRM boat. Any fool can occasionally get superb results in an LRM boat. Teach someone to play an LRM boat well and they will be more consistent, and hopefully learn enough in the process to be able to try other builds with reasonable competence if they are so inclined to.

#14 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I have a pink Atlas with an XL engine PPC's (standard for the minimum range) and as many LRM's as I can cram on it (its the loyalty one).

I break it out to play when people I game with regularly ***** about the same thing the OP is bitching about. Just to make them twitch.

#15 WolfSpine Vickers

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

ButI'mgoodwithLRMS

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostDjPush, on 13 December 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

I get it. New players like to spam missiles because it's easy and a decent way to learn the game. However, if you can't move and shoot yet.. Get out of an assault mech. You are a detriment to the team. You are not ready to pilot one. I have seen too many 90 and 100 ton assault mechs just standing there lobbing LRMs. Get yourself a heavy mech, load that up with your LRMs, and learn to shoot while walking. Once you have mastered the art of looking at your minimap and repositioning, then you can try your hand at assaults.

The optimum range for LRMs is 200-500 meters. Anything beyond that, don't even bother firing. You will lose the lock before your missiles reach their targets. The one caveat to this rule is if you have a spotter or someone has put up a UAV, then fire away. Move with the team or they will leave your *** behind to be picked off by the enemy NASCAR. You need to learn how to reposition and fire as you are doing so. DO NOT load your mech with LRMs only. You need to be able to use other weapons when the LRMs are not able to gain a lock or too close to be ineffective.

I would argue that they should instead get in a medium mech for their lrm needs. The medium can move faster and relocate, allowing them to throw their lrm from a flanking position or from behind without being screwed the second war comes to them. At the same time they arent depriving their team of all the armor thats needed on the front. Its easy to get 2 launcher 10's or 15's with a tag and/or bap and a few lasers on a med. You do not need more than 4-5 ton or ammo either, if you arent hitting, you are doing it wrong and more ammo isnt gona help you.

#17 Razorfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Play what you like.

Nothing to see here.

Move along, move along.

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Im play my atlas with lrm20, lrm15, lrm10, narc, and 4 tags

i dont need laser, if enemies get close shouldve lrmd them harder

I would argue that they should instead get in a medium mech for their lrm needs.

but that defeats the point

which is to troll in an lrm atlas that has 4 tags and no lasers

Edited by Khobai, 13 December 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#19 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hehehe just wait until the arrowIV system comes out... then you'll see some turret warfare.

#20 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Most of you didn't read past the title. Which doesn't surprise me in the least. Most of you didn't even read the title properly. Pretty ****** sad.

Edited by DjPush, 13 December 2017 - 03:34 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users