120 replies to this topic

#61 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 26 February 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

I just watched Baradul/ aka Molten Metal play a 2 games with a K-2 Catapult armed with a pair of SPPCs, an LBX-10, and twin ERMLs. I loved his results but I would trade the twin SPPCs for a single HPPC and the LBX-10 for a UAC-5, plus an AMS w/1 ton ammo, and a TC1, swapping ERMLs for MLs. I plan to try this on my K-2.

1) I would be very careful adopting a build like that based on only 2 matches by a skilled player(I don't know this player you're referring to, I'm kind of assuming they're highly skilled).
2) You're changing it so much that any expectation based on that player's results would be baseless.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but maybe don't judge it too harshly if you don't see results in your first couple matches. In example, if your team scatters like dust in the wind at match start, you're probably going to have a tough time pulling a high scoring game. Admittedly, this would be easier in Tier 5 matches than in any other Tier.

#62 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 February 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Consider this: More than 30 of the consistently top 100 players over the past 10 seasons now have purple names. It would not surprise me exactly how many purple names could be found within the top 10 thousand. Shame you can't do a direct search for it.

Utterly incorrect. Where is the proof? You have just flat out lied.

Here is the BANNED PLAYER LIST updated in @ Nov 2017 IIRC.

You can Jarls list each one of them. Lets look at the most recent - "the weka" - this is where he is (was) on Jarls list - didn't even make it into the top 1000.

Shall we take a look at the player banned before him as well? "the troll", again Jarls list... Didn't even make the top 1000 either.

Fact is hacking in MWO really doesn't give you an advantage if you can't play becuase it cannot stop you taking damage.

Out of the top 100 on Jarls list - which takes into account the last 19 seasons, there are zero that have been banned in the top 100.

Plus if they were banned - guess what? They wouldn't be able to post on the forum and give advice.

Your constantly incorrect / false claims & lies - need to stop. Go spread misinformation somewhere else and not to new players who need proper help.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 26 February 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#63 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

I just watched Baradul/ aka Molten Metal play a 2 games with a K-2 Catapult armed with a pair of SPPCs, an LBX-10, and twin ERMLs. I loved his results but I would trade the twin SPPCs for a single HPPC and the LBX-10 for a UAC-5, plus an AMS w/1 ton ammo, and a TC1, swapping ERMLs for MLs. I plan to try this on my K-2.

What do you call results though? Spreading damage all over the place with a high exposure time to deal the damage?

Again it depends what you want and "how good" to want to be. If you wanna run a HPPC use a AC10, they work very well together as the projecticles are about the same spead and it's PPFLD (Pin Point Front Loaded Damage)

#64 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostHorseman, on 26 February 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ash exaggerates, but isn't very far off the mark: statistically, people with sub 1.0/1.0 ratings are reducing their team's chance of success, while those with ratings around that mark are just competent enough to hold their own (read: your first stop on the way to gitting gud, but not the actual end goal).

Generalise is more accurate (and I know I do it). Leone and others are exceptions to the "rule" because they do not play QP and mainly FP. One cannot account for all exceptions and I'm not saying Leone is bad, I know how good he is Posted Image. But there are some giving out advice that is flat out bad/incorrect and then on top of that lie? I mean come on, where does it end?

I mean you have players in T1, with avg match score of 170 and a WLR of just over 1.0 (over 10,000 gameS). They are essentially carried to T1 by the rest of the team, not becuase of how good they are. Someone with a 250avg m/s and a 0.80WLR is a better player, IMO.

Again it's about understanding what you are reading.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 26 February 2018 - 04:31 PM.

#65 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Baradul is a pretty good shot and his builds are fun more than 'meta'. I've dropped with him in group queue and he didn't last very long (nor did I Posted Image ). When his team is on the ball it goes well but otherwise he goes down pretty quickly as he is an aggressive brawler. Still, I learn a fair amount about map positioning from his videos and I do find them entertaining.

I'll leave it at that because apparently, my stats are too poor for me to be taken seriously Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 26 February 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#66 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

I've seen Baradul play and call stuff over voip. Essentially calls for NASCAR each game and charges head-on in against 6 mechs looking straight at him.

That is not smart or aggressive play. It's bad positoning/movement.

If I see him on the other team I'll call for the team to form a firing line around the usual "NASCAR" point and it's easy win, every time.

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 February 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

Out of the top 100 on Jarls list...

One of my problems with your statement and using the Jarls list is something Koniving did mention. Look at the ranks and number of matches played. The top #1 player for season 19 only has 84 games played... #3 only 111. #7 is more respectable with 255 games but for statistical averages that can be seen as rather low still. #17 only has 117 matches under his belt. #22, not even 100 matches yet (99 matches, so very close).

I'm not even off the first page yet of the stat chart there. those with several hundred (to thousand) games have earned their place and rank. But if it's under 100 matches... That isn't very conclusive at that point.

In consideration of "who to take advice from", I'm not too picky about who is giving advice as long as it seems sound. I'll personally test people's advice that is given to me and see if it seems to pan out. Not all advice works for everyone. As far as that list (to link things again), I'll listen to even the #1 player on the list if they happened to drop in and give me advice, but I'm not going to take it as the be all and end all. He's only got (on that account) 88 matches... compared to my hundreds of matches of experience.

Who do you think should be giving advice and whom do you think would give better advice? Someone who's been here a month by someone managed to get very high stats, or someone who's been here a year or more with a lot more matches? Even if their performance is a little lower? I mean, I've already out played the top player on that list with just season 19 standings alone...

Also, do recall different tier levels meet up with different strategies. For example, lower tiers tend to be flooded a bit more with LRMs than higher tiers. So advice of placing AMS on your mechs to a T5 players makes more sense than as advice to a T1 player. I also believe (considering what I've seen around the forums) that many higher tiered players have forgotten what it was like to be a new player and in a lower tier. So they provide builds and advice not appropriate for the tier player that is receiving said advice.

Now, specifically at you Ash, I have come to respect your opinions and advice. You appear well skilled in the game. But, no one person's advice should be the "be all and end all" of advice. Different people do play differently, and with different skills. I mean no disrespect to you, but you've been kinda sounding like "listen to me, ignore everyone else" a bit in this thread. I've been presuming I'm just reading too far into the posts and seeing something not intended...

#68 ArJuna

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

View PostTesunie, on 26 February 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

I mean no disrespect to you, but you've been kinda sounding like "listen to me, ignore everyone else" a bit in this thread.

The problem here is that he's one of the few voices of sanity in this thread. With all the incorrect information being thrown about, its very hard for the truth to flourish :)

#69 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 February 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Again it depends what you want and "how good" to want to be. If you wanna run a HPPC use a AC10, they work very well together as the projecticles are about the same spead and it's PPFLD (Pin Point Front Loaded Damage)

AC-10 & HPPC as primary weapons, essentially buttons 1&2 with 2 or 3 MLs as button 3. Really easy to remember.

#70 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

One of my problems with your statement and using the Jarls list is something Koniving did mention. Look at the ranks and number of matches played. The top #1 player for season 19 only has 84 games played... #3 only 111. #7 is more respectable with 255 games but for statistical averages that can be seen as rather low still. #17 only has 117 matches under his belt. #22, not even 100 matches yet (99 matches, so very close).

I'm not even off the first page yet of the stat chart there. those with several hundred (to thousand) games have earned their place and rank. But if it's under 100 matches... That isn't very conclusive at that point.

On that I totally agree. Once someone has 400-500 games under their belt, then we are talking some good averages and sample size of games and not just easy matches in T5 on a fresh account, which indeed does skew things.

That said most of those alt-accounts are those of already top ranking players (Nero for example is Juju's). I know who they all are coincidentally, save for one but I suspect I know who Posted Image

But, no one person's advice should be the "be all and end all" of advice. Different people do play differently, and with different skills. I mean no disrespect to you, but you've been kinda sounding like "listen to me, ignore everyone else" a bit in this thread. I've been presuming I'm just reading too far into the posts and seeing something not intended...

Again totally agree. Different horses for different courses. I can give people a build for any play style/range or whatever. My advice will always come from the "upper end" point of view, becuase that is where I am. Not the best, never claimed to be, just well above average.

Spare Parts wants to get better, I will give the best info to make this possible. Making repeated statements about LBX2s are amazing when they flat out are were proven (in a Private Lobby) not to where Headless Chicken (AC2s) tore Koniving to pieces repeatadly (LBX2).

^ that right there is where my main issue is, Then to go further and claim over 30 in top 100 have been hackers?

That stuff is not on and if I was running these forums, those type of posts are the ones that would be incurring warnings because it helps no-one when you knowingly mislead/lie in the face of fact/evidence.

#71 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

I will be better Inshallah!

Better builds, more patience more self control to replace the cold burning fire of poorly suppressed aggression.

I killed 5 mechs on Terra Therma the old map before 5 kills was even an achievement. I used 2 LLs,MLs,and SRMs and all the crap my day had given me. This is unsustainable as angry people make mistakes.

#72 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 26 February 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

AC-10 & HPPC as primary weapons, essentially buttons 1&2 with 2 or 3 MLs as button 3. Really easy to remember.

THIS is how I would do it, bit hot though. IMO it is not new-player friendly.

THIS is more forgiving. Again HPPC/AC10 in the same group and ERML in another. Don't even need 3 groups IMO given the velocity of both weapons is near the same.

#73 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 February 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

THIS is how I would do it, bit hot though. IMO it is not new-player friendly.

THIS is more forgiving. Again HPPC/AC10 in the same group and ERML in another. Don't even need 3 groups IMO given the velocity of both weapons is near the same.

Yup, the AC10 is a pretty good weapon, especially after the velocity buff.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#74 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

IMO the AC10 is still missing a lot, simply due to its tonnage.

Something a few people I've noted have commented on as well. I still feel like it needs a velocity buff as does the AC20 and AC5. The AC2 is more than fine where it is currently.

Also thought of something ELSE that you could run as well for giggles if you wanted.

#75 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 February 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

Again totally agree. Different horses for different courses. I can give people a build for any play style/range or whatever. My advice will always come from the "upper end" point of view, becuase that is where I am. Not the best, never claimed to be, just well above average.

Spare Parts wants to get better, I will give the best info to make this possible. Making repeated statements about LBX2s are amazing when they flat out are were proven (in a Private Lobby) not to where Headless Chicken (AC2s) tore Koniving to pieces repeatadly (LBX2).

^ that right there is where my main issue is, Then to go further and claim over 30 in top 100 have been hackers?

That stuff is not on and if I was running these forums, those type of posts are the ones that would be incurring warnings because it helps no-one when you knowingly mislead/lie in the face of fact/evidence.

I purposefully did not touch the banned player statement, mostly because I don't have the information to prove nor disprove that. But I did think Koniving made a good point about some accounts being highly ranked yet with so few matches.

It's always good to have different points of view. There is a reason I mentioned I respect your opinion and advice (even if it doesn't work for me) within my post. I would mention to keep in mind that Koniving does play a lot more relaxed of a MW:O play style than most people do, and often takes builds others would think is crazy just because he can sometimes. (He was using flamers back when everyone called them useless, and seemed to be getting reasonable results with them.)

I have actually been trying to test a dual LBx2 and dual LBx5 Jeagermech as of recently. I will comment that it seems to do well. In comparison to my AC version of the same mech (previous edition) it does have some benefits. To some extent, I think the LBx version has merits as a possible newer player friendly mech. It runs cooler and shoots just as fast. It's actually does appear to have better damage at longer ranges all around. The only failing point of it is spread... but I take that as the counter point to running cooler. (Then again, there is such a thing as running too cool as well, without enough burst damage... might be in that category. Not sure yet.)

I would be interested in seeing how the LBx version of my mech would directly compare to it's AC version. Each has such high face time though that the AC version's pin point damage would probably win out before it overheated... as a guess. But in not 1v1 situations, it can be good. It can be very good if the enemy has some armor breaches and/or is staying at extreme ranges and you just want to hit "something"...

#76 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 26 February 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

IMO the AC10 is still missing a lot, simply due to its tonnage.

Something a few people I've noted have commented on as well. I still feel like it needs a velocity buff as does the AC20 and AC5. The AC2 is more than fine where it is currently.

Also thought of something ELSE that you could run as well for giggles if you wanted.

The second build looks like something I can use. The third is not I just can't get the mechanism for Gauss. I like the AC-10 and Heavy PPC. Medium lasers have always been a standby weapon for me.

#77 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 February 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Consider this: More than 30 of the consistently top 100 players over the past 10 seasons now have purple names. It would not surprise me exactly how many purple names could be found within the top 10 thousand. Shame you can't do a direct search for it.

Purple names are those whom are permanently banned. Takes two guesses how they get there.

Actually it just takes one.

I doubt that. Most of the cheaters in this game are unknown randos that completely suck with the exception of like 3 players which I probably shouldn't name.

So much of the stuff you post is straight up wrong. It only so happens that it jives with you having very few drops in the past two years combined with poor stats. Honestly though, if you had bad stats but posted solid info a majority of the time, nobody would even mention it.

I'll give you an example of some of the stuff you post

-excessively long essays which include "because IRL" arguments as to how something should work in game but it usually goes nowhere
-old videos from 2012 with horrible builds even for that time
-word salad and woo woo arguments which dont make any sense
-claims with no shred of evidence like the purple name thing
-bad information about why people should use LBX-2s etc etc

I know you have good intentions but you not only sabotage the legitimate work of others by crowding them out via shear volume but you also sabotage new players. I sort of have my opinion though as to why you do this as well. You want the game to be something it isn't and you just give advice through a lens of how want the game to play despite all evidence of what works and what doesn't.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 26 February 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#78 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Standby? Hell no - Drop the full alpha and keep those lasers on the same component. That's the key.

Also learn to use Gauss, took me a while too initially. About 40-50 games maybe more. They are good strong weapons and always will be. Forget Light Gauss though, right now it's still in a bad place as a weapon and not worth it.

#79 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostTesunie, on 26 February 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

I purposefully did not touch the banned player statement, mostly because I don't have the information to prove nor disprove that. But I did think Koniving made a good point about some accounts being highly ranked yet with so few matches.

Thats easy, those are smurf accounts of already existing players which is totally legit. I have an alt and it moved me from low tier 4 to mid tier 3 in like 2 or 3 games

#80 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 26 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

Thats easy, those are smurf accounts of already existing players which is totally legit. I have an alt and it moved me from low tier 4 to mid tier 3 in like 2 or 3 games

Thing is, you may know but I do not. I don't know if X account is Y's alternate, which makes figuring out their combined stats (which then would include their "learner" matches, for example) far more difficult.

Overall, I will comment that I like stats and crunching numbers, but I also don't stop at just stats. Stats will only tell you so much and does sometimes depend upon what you are looking at, how you are looking at it, and how you interpret the numbers.

For instance I find K/D to be flawed as a statistical analysis tool. It's fun to track, but doesn't normally tell you much actual information besides "this person knows how to time their shots to get the kill" more than "this person knows how to play the game and drop targets effectively". I know I've seen many matches with players with 500+ damage, and not a single kill. I've also seen people with matches where they do less than 20 damage, but somehow managed 3 kills...

Even W/L has it's issues, if looked at only and specifically. It can be gamed to some extent, as well as can be luck dependent. Even high damage (if looked at on it's on in particular) can be misleading. I've seen people do 500+ damage, we win by kills and they only have 3 assists... Makes you wonder a bit on how they managed to spread 500+ damage to only three mechs in the match... (etc)

Okay... I think I'm going way off topic now... sorry guys. Just being a wordsworth at the moment. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users