8V8 Discussion

415 replies to this topic

#1 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Per Russ in the Mar. 2nd production update on twitch, shifting Quick Play back from 12v12 to 8v8 didn't get enough response to warrant any development.

In his words, "8v8 is dead in the water."

In the hours where the population is low, wait times in Quick Play group queue (sometimes in solo queue) are horrendous. Adjusting back to 8v8 would help alleviate this, right?

Discuss.

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 16 March 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

Everything I saw was overwhelming support for 8v8. Some people were opposed, but most everyone was all for it.

But it was canceled because the community was '50/50.'

This stream is nothing but lies and I haven't been this angry at a game since Bethesda screwed us with Fallout 4.

#3 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

Email a poll to us.

#4 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

I would like the poll sent via GGO in-game mail. Might require an Amusphere.

#5 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 02 March 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

In the hours where the population is low, wait times in Quick Play group queue (sometimes in solo queue) are horrendous. Adjusting back to 8v8 would help alleviate this, right?

It really needs the ability to adjust match size on the fly based on how many are queued. Normally 12v12 but fall back to 8v8 when population is low.

#6 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

View PostKamikaze Viking, on 02 March 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

It really needs the ability to adjust match size on the fly based on how many are queued. Normally 12v12 but fall back to 8v8 when population is low.

I don't give a rat's *** how they actually deliver this. Just actually poll us instead of announce **** and get yelled at by the community.

#7 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Russ said he would put up a poll, never happen

was waiting to give feedback on the official poll.

8v8 please, or 8v8 groups please :)

#8 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Poll you say? Here's one

https://mwomercs.com...-8v8-quickplay/

#9 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

live1991 brings up a good point ... Solo queue can stay 12v12, but group queue at certain hours suffers trying to tetris two 12-man groups together.

I'd be content with 8v8 in QP Group Queue only.

#10 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

That and maybe let solo players opt into group queue, at least during low pop times would really help. Sometimes pop is so low, group queue just dies. Also let players select up to all of the game modes of quick play, scouting, and invasion and just get put in whatever can be found.

#11 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

8v8 Community Poll please.

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostPoLaR, on 02 March 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

8v8 Community Poll please.

already happening https://mwomercs.com...-8v8-quickplay/

#13 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

Good riddance.

#14 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

wait wait wait...

MWOWC is 8v8, but Quick Play, Group Play, and Faction Play are all 12 v 12...

You have more teams playing in the MWOWC than you do in Faction Play, but 8v8 is dead in the water?

Seems like once again PGI doesn't have the best interests for their player base.

#15 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostQueenBlade, on 02 March 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

wait wait wait...

MWOWC is 8v8, but Quick Play, Group Play, and Faction Play are all 12 v 12...

You have more teams playing in the MWOWC than you do in Faction Play, but 8v8 is dead in the water?

Seems like once again PGI doesn't have the best interests for their player base.

Russ commented on this a while back during a similar podcast. He said tournaments generally go with less players to minimize the cost of logistics among other issues. Example: Organizing 12 players per team for a tournament is too difficult. CSGO's competitive scene runs 5v5 but their game offers 10v10 casuals.

As someone who thinks 8v8s are a downgrade, I'd also say good riddance. The 8v8s happened during MWO beta and it was lame / boring. I enjoy the chaotic fun offered in larger battles. I would like to see MWO move even higher than 12v12s. Thinking about 24v24s .... now that would be something. MWO's declining playerbase is partly due to a severe lack of a fun factor.

Edited by Belkor, 02 March 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#16 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:46 PM

On the bright side, this could mean population problem is not dire enough to reduce QP team size..

#17 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

down with 8v8! Posted Image

long live 12v12! hail to the king baby! Posted Image

however it would make sense for 8v8 if the pop is low, for now dont think it warants it just yet Posted Image

#18 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

This is what I proposed about a year ago and was shot down by Russ due to something about how they did the transition to 12v12 was hotwired with a toaster and as such their servers are either all 12v12 or all 8v8. Which makes no sense to me but, hey I am just an Mechanical Engineer so I will defer to server people on that one. As it is, they could just drop with 4 vacant mechs on each side in a lance that just auto destruct at the start to make it 8v8. Real jury-rigged way to do it but, eh.

#19 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

View PostBombast, on 02 March 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

Everything I saw was overwhelming support for 8v8. Some people were opposed, but most everyone was all for it.

But it was canceled because the community was '50/50.'

This stream is nothing but lies and I haven't been this angry at a game since Bethesda screwed us with Fallout 4.

Wait a minute.....how did Bethesda screw us with FO4? 8x8 isn't well received because if has less variation and leads to even greater stomps...... The 4 additional players opens up variation and that creates less control and MORE FUN!!!

No, The larger the battle, the more fun there is ! And, less a seasoned and salty "expert" can do to influence the battle.... The "more potatoes in the water, the more flavor is in the bread me ma use to say......" And, she wasn't wrong and neither is PGI.

Go harvest some other group of players........us potatoes like it just as it is thank you......

#20 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostAsym, on 02 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

Wait a minute.....how did Bethesda screw us with FO4? 8x8 isn't well received because if has less variation and leads to even greater stomps...... The 4 additional players opens up variation and that creates less control and MORE FUN!!!

No, The larger the battle, the more fun there is ! And, less a seasoned and salty "expert" can do to influence the battle.... The "more potatoes in the water, the more flavor is in the bread me ma use to say......" And, she wasn't wrong and neither is PGI.

Go harvest some other group of players........us potatoes like it just as it is thank you......

so If I'm reading you right;

you like matches with 12-0 stomps, and you'd love to be in 24-0 stomps now. Is that it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users