12V12 Or 8V8 Quickplay

90 replies to this topic

Poll: 12v12 or 8v8? (492 member(s) have cast votes)

12v12 or 8v8? or both?

1. Voted 12v12 (99 votes [20.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.12%

2. Voted 8v8 (228 votes [46.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.34%

3. Voted 12v12 and 8v8 mixed quickplay (165 votes [33.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

Quickplay should be 8v8.
Faction Play should stay 12v12.

#22 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

View PostKaeseblock, on 03 March 2018 - 12:27 AM, said:

Quickplay should be 8v8.
Faction Play should stay 12v12.

this is a good suggestion. one me and many others have had before.

#23 Myrkrinn

Rookie

• The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

8v8 seems like it would help with game frequency and the shortening of queue times providing the community doesn't (and it will most likely, being he internet) pack up their things and leave trailing butt hurt tears. This is really an icing on the cake type issue with mwo. Giving the players the choice to pick a priority mode would be good but it's a lot more work for pgi. The on peak off peak idea would be cool where during off peak it switches to 8v8 to maintain match availability (I think I'd play a heck of a lot of off peak tbh)

#24 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

View PostMyrkrinn, on 03 March 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

8v8 seems like it would help with game frequency and the shortening of queue times providing the community doesn't (and it will most likely, being he internet) pack up their things and leave trailing butt hurt tears. This is really an icing on the cake type issue with mwo. Giving the players the choice to pick a priority mode would be good but it's a lot more work for pgi. The on peak off peak idea would be cool where during off peak it switches to 8v8 to maintain match availability (I think I'd play a heck of a lot of off peak tbh)

Could do something like,

If Population is Less than 700,

Change Lobby Cappacity from 12v12 to 8v8

#25 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Old Maps should be 8x8 and New Maps should be 12x12 or 16x16.

#26 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

I wonder since when is 20% "50/50".

#27 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

View PostNeoCodex, on 03 March 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

That is mathematically impossible.

#28 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

people also overlook that the game became more taxing on computers with the switch to 12v12. While it is less of a big deal 5yrs on, with most people running on better hardware, it is still worth noting, and does mean slightly higher potential playerbase

#29 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

View PostBumbleBee, on 03 March 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

people also overlook that the game became more taxing on computers with the switch to 12v12. While it is less of a big deal 5yrs on, with most people running on better hardware, it is still worth noting, and does mean slightly higher potential playerbase

very true. I was noticing FPS differences last night in private lobbies, much higher framerates when we had 6-8 players a side, and FPS went down significantly as we slowly got up to 12v12.

#30 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostBumbleBee, on 03 March 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostKamikaze Viking, on 03 March 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

very true. I was noticing FPS differences last night in private lobbies, much higher framerates when we had 6-8 players a side, and FPS went down significantly as we slowly got up to 12v12.

I wish they would bring the old maps and 8x8.

#31 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:24 PM

8v8 was very well and fine in the beginning.. Not sure why they had to transition to 12v12.. But IMO the whole seperate pug / group / faction queue system needs to change in alot of ways...

how it changes could be done in a number of ways.. but theres basically it should break down into 3 types PUG, RANKED, ORGANIZED FACTION... oganized faction is the large scale cooperative units fighting each other.. Ranked is the 8v8 competition queue.. and PUG is where you find all the casual pick ups as well as SMALL LANCES...

both faction and ranked could stay mostly the same as they are.. But the pug queue would really have to differ based on wether you want to fall back to the 8v8 there as well or stay with 12v12.. But ideally you want to change it sooo that casual PUG is different from Faction..

The only way to truely differentiate pug from faction is to change group sizing and enforce a maximum lance size to the PUGs. If you put a max size of 3 or 4 on lances you can drop tonnage limits for the most part and use the wider MM you've gained from increasing the number of lances to pull from at any given moment.. But this makes small lances casual pug style and anyone wishing to do large units to seek faction thus increasing the faction pool..

The other key is combining groups and solo into a unified PUG queue.. doing this would prolly be better to keep 12v12 as a single lance would have less impact on the overall mixed group... Advantage here is the increase of the MM pool for casuals as well as solos getting to work alongside lances possibly encouraging solos to find units and play in lances or possibly faction more.. I know premades were a headache in the past (yes i was there) but then again premades were not limited in size and that posed too much consolidation of power.. If premades want big coordinated engaments they can go to Ranked or faction Play..

Another thing that would help to satiate the loss of large casual groups would be a revamp of the private lobby system.. Currently private lobbies are created by a user and then that user has to find invite and fill the lobby.. If there was a global chat lobby for private matches that listed available lobbies then users could navigate available private matches and join lobbies as they see fit.. of course lobbies could be placed in a private locked state going invite only..

#32 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostJadePanther, on 03 March 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

8v8 was very well and fine in the beginning.. Not sure why they had to transition to 12v12.. But IMO the whole seperate pug / group / faction queue system needs to change in alot of ways...

how it changes could be done in a number of ways.. but theres basically it should break down into 3 types PUG, RANKED, ORGANIZED FACTION... oganized faction is the large scale cooperative units fighting each other.. Ranked is the 8v8 competition queue.. and PUG is where you find all the casual pick ups as well as SMALL LANCES...

both faction and ranked could stay mostly the same as they are.. But the pug queue would really have to differ based on wether you want to fall back to the 8v8 there as well or stay with 12v12.. But ideally you want to change it sooo that casual PUG is different from Faction..

The only way to truely differentiate pug from faction is to change group sizing and enforce a maximum lance size to the PUGs. If you put a max size of 3 or 4 on lances you can drop tonnage limits for the most part and use the wider MM you've gained from increasing the number of lances to pull from at any given moment.. But this makes small lances casual pug style and anyone wishing to do large units to seek faction thus increasing the faction pool..

The other key is combining groups and solo into a unified PUG queue.. doing this would prolly be better to keep 12v12 as a single lance would have less impact on the overall mixed group... Advantage here is the increase of the MM pool for casuals as well as solos getting to work alongside lances possibly encouraging solos to find units and play in lances or possibly faction more.. I know premades were a headache in the past (yes i was there) but then again premades were not limited in size and that posed too much consolidation of power.. If premades want big coordinated engaments they can go to Ranked or faction Play..

Another thing that would help to satiate the loss of large casual groups would be a revamp of the private lobby system.. Currently private lobbies are created by a user and then that user has to find invite and fill the lobby.. If there was a global chat lobby for private matches that listed available lobbies then users could navigate available private matches and join lobbies as they see fit.. of course lobbies could be placed in a private locked state going invite only..

Good ideas there.

#33 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 03 March 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Good ideas there.

not entirely sure but pretty sure i've tried saying these or similar things in the past.

#34 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:43 AM

1 of the main reasons 8v8 was taken out was that the first team to lose 2 players lost over 90% of the time. Its a stompfest.

#35 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:44 AM

View PostGoatHILL, on 04 March 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

1 of the main reasons 8v8 was taken out was that the first team to lose 2 players lost over 90% of the time. Its a stompfest.

You got the source for that ?

#36 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostGoatHILL, on 04 March 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

Stompfests happen in 12v12. It also happens more often in 12v12. So trying to use stompfests as a reason to oppose 8v8 is a nonstarter.

The fact is, stomps occur regardless of team size. And those stomps are more likely to happen when there is a wider skill gap between players. With larger teams, you have to pull in a wider variety of players with more varied skill levels. And with MWO's already small playerbase, that means that a wider skill gap between one side or the other is more likely to occur as the MM has to fill in the brackets.

The next biggest contributor to stomps is the fact that there really isn't any objective play. Every match pretty much boils down to deathmatch. And oftentimes, pushing for the the matches so-called objective will put your team at greater risk than simply sticking to deathmatch.

Edited by Farix, 04 March 2018 - 05:06 AM.

#37 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 03 March 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

According to the poll as it stands 56% want 8v8. Thats quite close to 50/50 and I would argue that this poll is most likely more seen by the forum hardcores than the playerbase as a whole.

Link a poll up that displays on the launcher for everyone to see and then we can be more sure.

#38 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 04 March 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

According to the poll as it stands 56% want 8v8. Thats quite close to 50/50 and I would argue that this poll is most likely more seen by the forum hardcores than the playerbase as a whole.

Link a poll up that displays on the launcher for everyone to see and then we can be more sure.

Look if we had the old maps I would not mind 8x8.

#39 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 04 March 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

Linking it to the launcher would be a very good idea, in the sense that currently the poll is valueless, as it only consists of roughly 1% of player base and the usual forum loud mouths, and yes I include myself in that statement

I'd also imagine that the people that want 12v12 are the ones that spend most money.

Solaris, suspended FW, and a move to 8v8 could cause the cash to not roll in as much, which is why were were subjected to piss Russ trying to drum up support for the pet project.

Best leave sleeping dogs lie, as I sure most of the Solaris freak are in the 8v8 lobby

Edited by Cathy, 04 March 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#40 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostCathy, on 04 March 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Linking it to the launcher would be a very good idea, in the sense that currently the poll is valueless, as it only consists of roughly 1% of player base and the usual forum loud mouths, and yes I include myself in that statement

I'd also imagine that the people that want 12v12 are the ones that spend most money.

Solaris, suspended FW, and a move to 8v8 could cause the cash to not roll in as much, which is why were were subjected to piss Russ trying to drum up support for the pet project.

Best leave sleeping dogs lie, as I sure most of the Solaris freak are in the 8v8 lobby

Im not sure about the spending money part as I have no evidence of that. Totally agree with you otherwise. As much as we are all passionate and opinionated on both sides I would like to think that a fair method would include everyone and I just thought that having a link in the launcher that everyone would see while logging on would be a fair way to do it if PGI wanted an actual representation.

I think we could have our cake and eat it if we all got behind both 8v8 and 12v12, its not perfect but it caters to all. No idea if that could ever happen in terms of the game code etc.. but the idea seems most suited.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users