Oceanic Server Relocation

128 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Greetings MechWarriors,
The Oceanic Server currently located in Singapore will be moved to Sydney after this patch, on March 20th at 10AM PST.
This server location change to Sydney will be a live production test. In the meanwhile, we are currently investigating possible trace routing adjustments with our hosting provider in hopes to minimize SEA players' ping rates on the Sydney server.
In a week's time of testing, we will reassess the final decision for Oceanic Server's location.
Regards,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Shaix

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTaipei

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

This sounds like a terrible idea, as it would drastically increase ping time to anyone in Asia. Of course it will improve for Australia. But certainly not for Asia. And actually it will increase ping time for NA and EU players too, since Australia is further away from NA and EU than is Singapore.

I am located in Taiwan and the ping time to Singapore is about 50ms, whereas to Sydney it would be 170ms at best (using PCCW)

If you want to have excellent point of presence in Asia, obviously Singapore, along with HK and Tokyo are the hubs to be at for connectivity.

#3 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostShaix, on 20 March 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

This sounds like a terrible idea, as it would drastically increase ping time to anyone in Asia. Of course it will improve for Australia. But certainly not for Asia. And actually it will increase ping time for NA and EU players too, since Australia is further away from NA and EU than is Singapore.

I am located in Taiwan and the ping time to Singapore is about 50ms, whereas to Sydney it would be 170ms at best (using PCCW)

If you want to have excellent point of presence in Asia, obviously Singapore, along with HK and Tokyo are the hubs to be at for connectivity.

You should try South Africa, we are far from everything :(
Old OS server was my second best at 250ms

#4 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

... If you want to have excellent point of presence in Asia, obviously Singapore, along with HK and Tokyo are the hubs to be at for connectivity.
Actually its the OCEANIC Server PGI is relocating ... maybe they will establish a new ASIA Server after relocating OCEANIC Posted Image

#5 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

This is fantastic news!

#6 The Luggage

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Hello MWO,

I'm coming back!

The Luggage
Wellington, NZ

#7 thraadash

• Pip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Oh well....no more single digit ping for me.

Not like there is much difference due to HSR.

#8 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

final decisions after 1 week of testing, with most of that week coinciding with a CW event (where everyone is on the NA servers anyway). it would appear that PGI do not want the Sydney server to be a thing

#9 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Thanks PGI for letting AP players test out the server.

There are major problems with the backbone your Datacenter uses making players out of AUS go around the world to get to it. EG SG people 450/500MS ping when it should be 100.

If you can not fix that you need to move the server to a better Datacenter.

#10 _mungus_

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

AWESOME

Thanks so much

#11 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Seriously?
I have played my entire MWO career @240 from AU so I have no sympathy for you.

There is an answer, Im not sure what it is, but there is an answer. Thanks PGI for taking AU seriously! gg o7

I thoroughly enjoy playing with our northern hemisphere bretheren! o7 and would like to continue to do so (@ a fair a favourable game experience for all!)

"A LITTLE LESS - I want this so you cant have that"

and a solid answer to this problem for a game we ALL love and enjoy. We have enough 'Tech Heads' to work this out.

Cheers,
Down Under & In The Future! o7

#12 EvangelX

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 20 March 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

In a week's time of testing, we will reassess the final decision for Oceanic Server's location.

'I cant want to' ^ has a good point

how can you make a final decsion during FW..?!?

#13 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Whhhaaaat?!?
I might actually get a Ping below 200? That unpossibru!

This is huge news for those of us in the AU/NZ area.

Sure, with HSR, it's not as important as it used to be (as a Kiwi, I still remember having to lead my target by about a second and a half to hit with ACs. LBx and SRMs were the only reliable weapon for me back then), but still.

Edit: 34ms Ping. This is so fast it's gonna be pre-cognitive!

Edited by Thunder Child, 20 March 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#14 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

What this amounts to for all of you is...USE IT OR LOSE IT...so spread the word.

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostBolter01, on 20 March 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

Seriously?
I have played my entire MWO career @240 from AU so I have no sympathy for you.

Well you should dude.

S.E. Asia players are going from 20ms pings to 400ms+.
AU players are going from between 100ms-220ms down to around 20ms.

Overall a AU server is great from my stand point, having played a great number of games on it already. There is slight improvements/quality of life having 20ms vs 120-300ms I normally have (SEA / US servers)

However if my QoL is better at the detriment of the entire Asia community, and the datacentre cannot fix their routing, then it kinda needs to stay in SG as it is better for everyone. As a whole.

The issue is if its 400ms-500ns+ people will simply un-check the server. Doing this will mean there will be even less games on the Oceanic Server than there are currently. No one wins in this situation.

#16 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

The interesting point here is that with the server in Singapore, players in Australia/NZ get pings that typically sit around 250.
This is no better than the connection to the NA servers. Might get the odd fluctuation in that of course and I have experienced a ping around 130-150 on the rare occasion.
The EU servers typically sit around the 350 ping mark.

The question will be whether or not the Asia region gets a good consistent ping lower than what they might get to the other servers which would hopefully be in the low 100s and maybe drop under that as that would give a better overall combined result for this area of the world when comparing to the other two servers.

If all that happens is the AU/NZ players get a good ping but the asian players are no better off than what they get to the NA servers. then it probably means that it is not worth having an Oceanic server at all and we are better off having the Oceanic players return to the NA servers.

#17 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hats off to you players in that part of the world, lets hope it makes the game more enjoyable for y'all.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

View Post50 50, on 20 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

The interesting point here is that with the server in Singapore, players in Australia/NZ get pings that typically sit around 250.
This is no better than the connection to the NA servers. Might get the odd fluctuation in that of course and I have experienced a ping around 130-150 on the rare occasion.

From AU you should be 200ms or under.

I am 100-120ms from East Coast AU to SG. I am Telstra Cable, which has perfect routing.

That said when the SMW3 cable is broken, that is when pings jump back to 250ms for most people. I suspect this is the case again given pings last night were 250ms for the 3rd time in a year Posted Image

#19 _mungus_

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Pings from NT were terribad. 250ms to Oceanic, 300 to NA and about 350 to Europe.

About to jump on and see, but I'm expecting around 70ms on Oceanic now. If this is the case, I will be solely queuing on Oceanic from now on.

If the player base was there I'm sure they would have a fourth server for Asia.

#20 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for ruining this patch for me. Do you know how hard it is to play with constant 270 to 290 ping? At least when it was on singapore, there's one 63 ping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users