Mg Nerf Incoming / Confirmed

352 replies to this topic

#241 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Guys, seriously, stop embarrassing yourselves...

Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

"One guy compared a piranha to a VW with 9mm handguns, when really the MG would be the size of the VW itself"

">talk about viable IS lights
> Wolfhound-2 not mentioned"

"if you haven't played since season 13 then you haven't even played against any of the MG lights"

Nightbird:

"Yes, you're right about everything in a game you haven't played in a year."

There are things we use when we discuss an issue, they are called 'facts', you should look some up.

-The Piranha, at 20 tons, does not have 12 VW's strapped to its torso. VWs do not weigh 0.25 ton.
-The Wolfhound is a nice IS light. However the whole thread is about MGs (and some small laser) nerfs and the mechs affected. The Wolfhound doesn't carry a single ballistic point. If you can build a 14dps workable laser Wolf, please let us know.
-The leaderboard does not actually show whether you played. It shows whether you played above the minimum games. I have all the 100-games played loyalty awards. I have the SunSpider and Roughneck heroes.
-The forum rules state that you can post on one account only, not alts.

I understand, when the facts don't match what you want to believe, you just have to toss any old crap out that comes into your head. But you guys should be capable of coming up with new and improved crap. You can do it - I believe in you!

Nightbird:
"No IS mech should be running MGs anyways"

Perhaps. Hence the point, "Clan/IS imbalance".

Edited by MadBadger, 08 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.

#242 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 08 April 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

Guys, seriously, stop embarrassing yourselves...

leave the troll alone, posts but doesn't play the game

#243 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostNightbird, on 08 April 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

No IS mech should be running MGs anyways, there's no good platforms. You need agility, so not the Firestarter, and a humanoid shape to not get one shot from the side so not the Huggin, and weapons in the STs so you don't lose them when shielding as you're running within 100 meter of enemy mechs, so not the Spider.

And yet:
LCT-1V Stock

PIRATES' BANE Stock

EMBER Stock

HUGINN Stock

Those very mechs come with mgs. Now let us not forget:

https://mwomercs.com...erf-the-huginn/

https://mwomercs.com...he-firestarter/

https://www.gameskin...uble-xp-weekend

For no IS mech should be running mgs a lot of them sure come stock and look at that they also were OP with their own OP Nerf threads. All the back since JANUARY 13th 2013. Seems they do just fine with mobility and mgs or these threads wouldn't keep happening year after year for over five years now.

#244 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Huginn had 50% missile cooldown quirks, 62.5% with the cooldown module. No one ran them with MGs.

Firestarter was the 8 SPL variant, not the Ember.

Stock is stock, people do change the builds up?

#245 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostNightbird, on 08 April 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

Huginn had 50% missile cooldown quirks, 62.5% with the cooldown module. No one ran them with MGs.

Firestarter was the 8 SPL variant, not the Ember.

Stock is stock, people do change the builds up?

The Ember was the best Firestarter first. Then MGs got nerfed and it wasn't that good anymore. Then a bit later quirks came out and the spl Firestarter was good. Then after that the mpl version.

#246 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostNightbird, on 08 April 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

No one knows how OP the Piranhas are, no one has posted any stats. I personally find the Piranha to be weaker than the Cheeta today.

MW5 will be fun for a few days, but it's more fun to play against real people. No one cares about winning against AI, it's just about enjoying the story once or twice.

Really I loved fighting bots in Unreal Tournament, I loved fighting bots in Quake 3, I love fighting bots in Friday the 13th as Jason...

I know plenty of people who are tired of the hyper-competitive nature of games like this, competitive FPS has been the law of the land since around 2004 now, ever since Halo and CoD got popular. And I know I'm not the only one who are tired of day in, day out, fighting against other people.

Sure I'll come play MWO occasionally as time progresses, even with MW5 available, hell I still play Mechwarrior Living Legends on occasion. But if I want PVP experiences that are a bit more fresh, I'll go play PUBG, or I'll play ArmA, or any number of real, tactical shooters that are more grounded at this point.

Mechwarrior would be fine, if customization was locked down in some way, but with the unfettered system we currently have now... it's grown too stale, everyone gravitates towards one build style, and that's the law of the land until nerf's hit then the next flavor grows... I've been playing since 2012, hell I'm a gold level founder, bought top tier clan packs 1 and 2, I've dropped thousands on this game... and I'm still ready to walk away. I've squeezed a lot of blood from this stone of a game, is there still more to give? Yeah, sure there is... that's the nature of competitive shooters in general, you can always come back and have some fun, but as a daily game, MWO hasn't been a daily game for me in over a year.

Still on the note of the MG's getting nerfed, I've watched how fast they chew through components... hell I've had CT lasers get shot out via MG's because of how many bullets hit and the likelihood of them rolling the proper crit's against the weapon, back hell 6 months ago even, that would rarely happen, having a zombie CT stick was still viable, an Atlas with 2mlas could STILL do work if needed... but now, now you loose that CT armor, and take a splash from MG fire, expect your CT lasers to be non-existent after that... and that just doesn't feel right.

#247 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

View Postdario03, on 08 April 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

The Ember was the best Firestarter first. Then MGs got nerfed and it wasn't that good anymore. Then a bit later quirks came out and the spl Firestarter was good. Then after that the mpl version.

3 years ago.. is that really relevant to keep in the current MG discussions? Is there a good IS MG light today?

#248 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostNightbird, on 08 April 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

3 years ago.. is that really relevant to keep in the current MG discussions? Is there a good IS MG light today?

If talking current events no, but the post that mentioned the Ember said it was going back to 2013.
Urbie does pretty good in qp with machine guns, very different from the Pir though. And with some quirks or ISMG buffs we could have more. Flea isn't to far out either, slap some quirks on that.

#249 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

MG Lights are "Giant Slayers", it's a play style that already has counters in game. SPL/MPL focused brawling lights and obvious streak lights and mediums will eat a MG light up quickly. Heavy and Assault mechs that can't aim at a moving light only have stand next to a teammate to render this mech impotent. Nothing good comes out of getting rid of play styles.

Hopefully, PGI will continue balancing on stats and not on whines. If the Piranha is outperforming the Cheeta, fine, nerf it. If not, then don't nerf all the Clan MG lights into the ground, instead focus on releasing IS equivalents with 6-8 MGs. P.S. Flea doesn't have the tonnage for this, it needs to be 30-35 tons for IS.

Edited by Nightbird, 08 April 2018 - 03:49 PM.

#250 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

Everyone is focused on boating mg's, even just having a few of them would obliterate components.

Was pretty much to the point that you hear MG's on your internal structure and by the time you blink everything in that location is criticaled out. With the current incarnation I basicly just go get a drink half the time when I hear machine guns and I know I have spots open.

Machineguns were supposed to be weak......somewhere that got lost with people thinking everything should be competitive. It shouldn't, everything should have a role and MG's real role is actually for infantry. The silly crit seeking BS is just that silly.

#251 Mr_Breaker

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

Jesus H ******* Christ.

The only problem mech was Piranha -- why not just give them nega quirks for ****'s sake?

This only makes sense; coming back after a long hiatus only to see what the newest light mech can boat compared to my once beloved Founders Jenner is nauseating!

#252 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostSamial, on 07 April 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

I don't suck at the game.

As you can see "by my Stats" i play all the tiers of mechs, i am not in a unit so i only QP with pugs which effects my "stats" and makes me look like a poor performer because my teams are daily.. People who drop with teams are padding their stats..

I know exactly how the game works i've been here on and off for 3 years, and yes i've seen firestarters in QP because i occasionally run them there.

That said i do fine in lights.. I actually enjoy lights very much my favorites are the Osiris and Urbies, i also use Commandos and wolfhounds but i almost own every single light made in game.. I still have no Ravens and Cougars though..

I have no issues with lights in general or piranhas, my issue is the machine gun boating of all clan mechs.. not the lights using them, i can play with no issues thanks.

That said when i said bad PCs i meant bad internet as in latency and bad fps you cannot play a light in those conditions you can play a lurm boat though.

I have never seen more rubbish posted in this forum that what is in that above quote.

At least now I understand WHY you post the stuff you do, you're legitimately delusional.

#253 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 08 April 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

And yet:
LCT-1V Stock

PIRATES' BANE Stock

EMBER Stock

HUGINN Stock

Those very mechs come with mgs. Now let us not forget:

https://mwomercs.com...erf-the-huginn/

https://mwomercs.com...he-firestarter/

https://www.gameskin...uble-xp-weekend

For no IS mech should be running mgs a lot of them sure come stock and look at that they also were OP with their own OP Nerf threads. All the back since JANUARY 13th 2013. Seems they do just fine with mobility and mgs or these threads wouldn't keep happening year after year for over five years now.

So just in case anyone was thinking about taking this joker seriously, he appears to believe that people leave 'mechs on their stock loadouts and that the Huginn and PB were good because they could carry MGs.

#254 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

Guys, the Dartboard of Balance Balance Overlord has spoken. He's never wrong guise. All he has is stats, Excel spreadsheets, and darts alternative facts. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Deathlike, 08 April 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#255 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

View Postdario03, on 08 April 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

If talking current events no, but the post that mentioned the Ember said it was going back to 2013.
Urbie does pretty good in qp with machine guns, very different from the Pir though. And with some quirks or ISMG buffs we could have more. Flea isn't to far out either, slap some quirks on that.

i really doubt that the flea will get good enough quirks to compete with the piranha. it'll probably be comparable to the locust at best. i also predict that the ballistic variants will get the weakest quirks because SCARY MACHINE GUNS.

#256 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

My spider 5k is already hurting with crappy hard points. It has 1 snub ppc and 4 light machine guns. I don't see anyone piloting them anymore in quickplay. PGI should might as well kill off the spider 5k in the game at this rate.

Edited by GamerPro4000, 08 April 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#257 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 April 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

I have never seen more rubbish posted in this forum that what is in that above quote.

At least now I understand WHY you post the stuff you do, you're legitimately delusional.

umm what rubbish are you refering to? delusional? why? just curious..

#258 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostSamial, on 08 April 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

The thing is i've gone from the bottom of tier 4 to almost tier 2 since before christmas and i'm not even trying to, PSR is an exp bar not so much skill..

If i wanted i could get to tier 1 but i play my own way, pug only, build stupidly fun builds and play different mechs every match.. Non of that is good for raising stats and looking good on jarls list..

I honestly play this for enjoyment not to be competitive.

As you said, PSR Tier system is an XP bar; it only requires exceeding a very low performance standard to go up, so it is no achievement to raise in Tier.

And note that almost everybody is playing MWO for enjoyment. If I'm not enjoying MWO, I stop playing.
Lately I've been playing builds for my amusement, like a poptarting heavy laser Viper. I had a bad losing streak early this Season that killed my W/L, but it has been gradually increasing since and it will likely break 1.0 if I play enough, despite how I'm playing non-meta/competitive builds.

#259 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

If they fixed the hit reg for fast moving light/medium mechs you would have half the issue solved. Every second game it seems I dump a great shot into a assassin or piranha for little to no effect.

#260 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

View PostZergling, on 08 April 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

And note that almost everybody is playing MWO for enjoyment. If I'm not enjoying MWO, I stop playing.
Lately I've been playing builds for my amusement, like a poptarting heavy laser Viper. I had a bad losing streak early this Season that killed my W/L, but it has been gradually increasing since and it will likely break 1.0 if I play enough, despite how I'm playing non-meta/competitive builds.

I had a win streak on this account to start the month, then switched to my alt which has mechs needing mastery still (which lacks the vast pool of HXP and HSP my main account has) but it also has been on both a win and kill streak. I started both streaks using two versions of my streak shadowcat (one with ERMLs and the other with SPLs... both otherwise the same with triple SSRM6s and ECM).

On this one...
11897 Dee Eight 11 6 1.83 21 9 2.33 17 300

The alt has many other mechs being played though (four different cougars, a pair of roughnecks, a sun spider, a black jack, a bushwacker, and an arctic wolf currently) as I level them, but with over a hundred matches i'm at about 1.25-1.5 range for both WLR and KDR and 275+ ave match score.

THUS...i am currently having a lot of enjoyment so far this month. Last month I started both accounts with a lot of Annihilator play and positive WLR/KDR #s and then it went kinda downhill as I played other mechs and dealt with event lunatics because as you pointed out...the way the psr works...everyone eventually floats to the top.. like curds of cheese. And you cannot make a poutine without curds and potatoes. Unfortunately matchmaker seems to enjoy a perverse pleasure of taking people on win streaks and putting them together with the ones on losing streaks thinking the lucky will carry the hapless. This account I was my usual below average at the end of march and my alt i was right at "average". Both hit T1 status within a few days of one another. The difference is it took 27 months on this account and only 10 months on the alt.

Edited by Dee Eight, 08 April 2018 - 08:20 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users