What Was The Point Of The Engine Desync?

96 replies to this topic

#21 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

The official reason for it was to lower the effect of high engine rating builds. Which the Clans have a lot of, so really it's to nerf the Clans. But they took it a step further and just generally gave the Clans less base performance to their IS counterparts. It also scaled mobility performance by weight. With a few notable exceptions that received higher agility due to either being weak mechs or because in the lore they were said to be agile.

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostLuminis, on 20 May 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

Let me know when you're grinding out a jet. And start playing it before it's spaded. Spoilers: It ain't pretty.

Well, good for me, I don't grind. I only buy what I want and then play them for pure unadulterated fun. Posted Image

Now if only Gaijin would hurry up in releasing a premium version of the Mystere. Posted Image

View PostFireStoat, on 20 May 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

... the 75 ton Timberwolf being given an agility profile equal to an 85 ton Warhawk, while retaining its negative quirks for mobility on top of this new base. ...

Well, at least MWO is no longer billed as "A BattleTech Gamer". I am sure Solaris 7 is a gigantic success. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 May 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#23 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

The objectives:

1. End the arm's race to always mount bigger and bigger engines so that mechs with low engine caps can actually be viable instead of completely useless.

2. Ensure that lower tonnage mechs, on average, can actually out-manuever heavier and stronger units. If you get to have more armor and guns you should have to give up mobility, period.

With that being said, they didn't quite succeed at objective #2 because they gave some mechs completely absurd agility for their size, such as the Linebacker outmaneuvering most lights and the Cyclops matching the mobility of a typical 65-tonner.

Another issue is that they used it too harshly against the Clans. It was supposed to be an entirely neutral system with no favoring one way or the other, but they decided to sneak in Clan nerfs that way instead of more direct nerfs (probably an attempt to reduce outcry).

#24 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

View PostFupDup, on 20 May 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

1. End the arm's race to always mount bigger and bigger engines so that mechs with low engine caps can actually be viable instead of completely useless.

2. Ensure that lower tonnage mechs, on average, can actually out-manuever heavier and stronger units. If you get to have more armor and guns you should have to give up mobility, period.

With that being said, they didn't quite succeed at objective #2

they didnt really succeed at #1 either

because now its completely not worth taking big engines at all

they failed to find a middleground where big engines were *sometimes* worth taking, but not always compulsory

theres just no way to justify the tonnage of a 350+ engine anymore. the gains are way too small. and clan omnimechs that are forced to take those huge engines especially suffer for it.

like the timberwolf was great when its 375 engine meant something. But engine desync killed it.

Edited by Khobai, 20 May 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#25 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

as I remember

like all things someone cried on the forum

we need to desynch the engines

the rest is history (or crap depends on which side your on)

for sure the people that are good at crying dominate the game

my favorite term I would see them use is "broken"
second would be "OP"

GLHF

#26 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

The idea was to bring balance to the force or whatever by making big engine assaults that were dominating useless. But with PGI's normal foresight they didn't realize this would just lead to people swapping over to smaller engines, especially with the rise of LFEs and armor quirks. Now assault meta is to bring a slow, tanky, high DPS boat and walk over people. It also allowed PGI to be able to pick off any mech in particular and ruin many pilots' days.

Just throw power to weight ratios right out the window because two 100 ton mechs always have the same agility even if one spends double the weight on an engine. Basically it was a terrible idea from the start with even worse implementation that served only to reduce the number of viable chassis, create a HUGE blanket nerf that ran off players, and lead to even worse sales for PGI as people find no stability in their purchases when it has become so normal to totally break an entire chassis line rather than give it some small nerfs to biggest offenders to provide balance.

#27 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 20 May 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Just throw power to weight ratios right out the window ...

It's probably an alien concept for them. Posted Image

Folks, as long a people keep buying PokeMechs and don't stop asking for more, none of this will change. They just ain't feeling the pain with people constantly throwing money at them and promising to do so even more!

Edited by Mystere, 20 May 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#28 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

What did engine d-sync did ? Oh well that easy, making the game less likeablePosted Image Further how most assaults (and some heavies too) go easy prey by lights and some mediums.

We already suffered from a bad matchmaker, and then we had to watch some mechs being completely ruined or made them far less efficient.

#29 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

The purpose of the engine de-sync was to nerf brawling and nerf assaults. Clearing the way for the sniper hell we have now.

#30 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostVonbach, on 20 May 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

The purpose of the engine de-sync was to nerf brawling and nerf assaults. Clearing the way for the sniper hell we have now.

yep, let me get a hellbringer and feel like a pro

#31 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostKhobai, on 20 May 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

Pretty much all 90+ ton mechs need their agility back.

The banshee isnt exactly known for being agile. I dont see why the banshee should get special treatment.

Banshee is generally a fast assault and agility tends to go with that. It was an important part of what made the Banshee good because it relied on twisting it's arms to be shields.

#32 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

It really wasnt that big of a deal, but reading this thread you'd imagine it was an entirely different game before.

#33 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

It was a totally different game before. It was far easier to track lights twist damage and 100 ton mechs were actually playable as something other than snipers.

#34 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Big engines are still worth taking on many mechs, and the desync really make smaller engines a viable choice in a way not seen before. It's slowed down the pace of the driving to feel much more simlike as well.

The doom and gloom is real in this thread, people just talking about the percieved bad consequences, not recognizing the good ones and glorifying the past.

#35 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

View PostVonbach, on 20 May 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

It was a totally different game before. It was far easier to track lights twist damage and 100 ton mechs were actually playable as something other than snipers.

Im sorry slow ponderous 100 tonners play like slow ponderous 100 tonners now. ;(

#36 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Im sorry slow ponderous 100 tonners play like slow ponderous 100 tonners now. ;(

they dont though. because their obnoxiously huge hitboxes and inability to torso twist complete contradicts the purpose of having more armor. a 100 tonner should be more survivable than a heavy. not less survivable.

the only 100 tonner that actually plays like a 100 tonner should is the annihilator.

Edited by Khobai, 20 May 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#37 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostKhobai, on 20 May 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

they dont though. because their obnoxiously huge hitboxes and inability to torso twist complete contradicts the purpose of having more armor. a 100 tonner should be more survivable than a heavy. not less survivable.

the only 100 tonner that actually plays like a 100 tonner should is the annihilator.

yep, rest is a slow moving target

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 20 May 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Relating to another thread, I wanted to create a similar discussion to avoid hijacking or derailing the previous one, which concerned agility in relation to laser balance.

What did the agility desync achieve?

An end to the engine race of "Max engine is the only way to play" and "The only good engine is an XL engine" for the IS, prior to the LFE.

#39 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

the desync really make smaller engines a viable choice in a way not seen before

I am really trying to think of an instance where I picked a smaller engine because it is more viable

the rest of my long post has been removed since its to depressing even for me

#40 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

in theory i don't think engine desync is a bad idea, but its implementation leaves a lot to be desired, as i had expected it would. in general, i would say that most mechs are too sluggish. 100 tonners in particular i feel are disproportionately slow, and now require massive defensive quirks in order to be competitive. that's fine for something like the annihilator which excels as a mid range anchor, but it's terrible for mechs that need to close distance to be effective or don't have similarly good hitboxes and quirks (or both, RIP spirit bear).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users