Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#661 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:48 AM

#disconeverdies

Little baffled as to why this is continuing. We're nearly 50/50 on this. Whether or not there's a change, people are going to get poopy lipped over it.

#662 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:27 AM

View PostRadkres, on 20 June 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

O.o Not sure this Idea has merit but make a Qp 8X8 Play with Drop decks Selection and run it for a few months to see how it goes that way you can get Data on how many will play it? o.O

PGI officially put this idea off and 8v8 will not be implemented for now.. but they kept this thread open to continue receiving opinions and input on the topic.

#663 DigitalMerc

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

so... back in the day people FREAKED out about 12v12 being added... now you want to add/adjust/modify QP to 8v8?

Lol wut?

Unless its a 'clickable' option in the pub queue, expect ludicrous amounts of flak, pitchforks and torches.

#664 Toek

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Posted ImageRadkres, on 20 June 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:
O.o Not sure this Idea has merit but make a Qp 8X8 Play with Drop decks Selection and run it for a few months to see how it goes that way you can get Data on how many will play it? o.O

This!

Edited by Toek, 06 July 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#665 therealxabac

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

why not all off them and more.
just pick 4-6 maps and make them smaller for 8v8 and pick some big enough for 16v16 and throw them into the rotation with the 12v12 quickplay modes ?
edit: adjust ammo with 0.8 and 1.2 so no need to switch tonnage

Edited by therealxabac, 07 July 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#666 BadDire

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

no!

#667 V A N T H

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 5
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

i'm sure someone has already said it but if we go 8v8 i want the old, non-trash Frozen city map back

#668 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

i love the idea of going back to 8x8...

I’m so sick of raven narc + 4x lrm 120 mechs raining death... all while getting laser vomited by another lance... and getting pirhanna’d in the back...

(Granted that situation probably means I Potatoed myself into a derp derp position; and deserve my fate...)

With 8x8... if my team nascars faster then my max kph, at least I can defend myself... as it stands now, if I am in a slow mech and spawn in the wrong spot (like on hpg), I am probably dead...
Que sound effects: incoming missles... incoming missles... pewwww pewww... bruttatatat... incoming missles... critical damage... ammo explosion detected...
“You have been destroyed...”

8x8 is much more forgiving when potatoe moments happen, which also helps new players get into the game easier...

(There are some good arguments for 12x12, just take this post as my own personal opinion)

#669 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

I just spotted this elsewhere, but relevant to the statement at hand- part of the reason why we're getting more potato is in part the game size.

First, gonna science you a little here.

http://jov.arvojourn...21950#133676064

The big bit here is the first experiment, showing that we generally are able to multi-track up to about 8 targets at once as humans, that being the upper limit. That is, at best, you're going to reliably track 3/4 of your opponents, and that's the best case scenario. Your average player is even less than this.

And when you can't track what's going on around you (hello, situational awareness, all lines are busy please hold)...you get your classic MWO target practice opponents, who tunnel vision (trackable targets maxed well before actual opponents but ignores new ones), freeze (overloaded on processing all the red dots), or in general just derp out. This obviously happened in 8v8. Eight is the top end of the scale here. Most people actually can't work even that, which is part of why your average phone number or zipcode doesn't exceed seven digits either. Most really good players manage to find a spot between tunnel vision and freeze and perform, but we already had plenty of not-so-good players at 8v8.

Then we added 50% more targets, beyond just about anyone to keep track of...never mind Average Joe, who already was in trouble at 8. The spud fields had been planted and it was like Idaho as far as the eye can see, and then some. With 12 targets moving around and such, the ability to keep everything in mind was greatly exceeded. A sense of what was going on in the game was greatly increased in difficulty, and situational awareness suffered from the additional strain. And the less skilled players? See above. Tunneling, freezing, and an increased amount of rote play versus actual awareness, positioning, and tactics.

Edited by Brain Cancer, 10 July 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#670 Ardney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

I remember 8v8 from the old days and prefer it. I also see no need to mess with the map merely because each side loses a lance. So there's my 2 cents.

#671 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

Why is the PTS 4v4 and not 8v8? Oh well it’s nice to see good FPS, it’s nice to have map roaming freedom, it’s nice not being a congested heard of metal cows nascaring to slaughter.

#672 Koruthaiolos

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 01 June 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

The drawbacks affect the game in a different way and are just as important. We would be losing the feel of full divisional combat (12 ‘Mechs in 3 lances).

3 lances is a company Paul.

#673 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

View PostRaasul, on 14 July 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

3 lances is a company Paul.

They could always go with Clan configuration and make it two stars for X amount of time, ie 10...

Essentially, PGI should add some flexibility that can be changed on the fly.

#674 Koruthaiolos

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:46 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 14 July 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

They could always go with Clan configuration and make it two stars for X amount of time, ie 10...

Essentially, PGI should add some flexibility that can be changed on the fly.

Yeah agreed, QP should launch you into either 4 vs 4, 8 vs 8, 10 vs 10, or 12 vs 12, depending on how many people are in queue.

#675 SilX

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGreece. Rhodes Island

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:20 AM

Short Answer :No.
Long Answer : But?
1st: Lore based 1 standard lance is made of 1L, 1M and 2H Mechs. Based on tonnage there can be variations ,speaking for IS formations. Clans are a bit different. So, 3 lances = 1 company. This notion of people wanting everything to be balanced is a naive excuse to hide inexperience or inability to pilot a Mech in War conditions . War isn't fair ... Much piloting is about making survival decisions under pressure . No one said anything about fair ...lol Pilots are bonded to their engines and they are one with them . If not press Eject . This is the lore of course ... Fight and win or loose with your weapon of choice . No one forced you to be here in the first place . Whining for fairness is just excuse . Experience is gained by time effort not given by fair mechanics. Wanting to win all the time is unrealistic expectations .

2nd: Mechanics. Continuing from the above , what you do get to choose is TOOLS for making war. MECHS, WEAPONS ETC. The environment and conditions of the engagement are initially designed to be asymmetric and in combination with the complex environment creates a fluid situation that needs strategic and tactical decisions both in personal level but also in teamwork. Otherwise press Eject or go Sol 1v1. Even Sol 2v2 has the above elements . Who doesn't accept the above simply lacks basic knowledge of confrontations the last 4000 years .

3rd: So Why not? Combining 1 and 2 I personally see a downgrade in the level of the complexity of the confrontation. Thus lowering the fun if you go 2lances v 2lances instead 1 company v 1 company.

- System Resources : yes I agree that things will get easier for everyone. And this could be the only reason I would answer yes. Respecting the necessity for more people to come in and enrich the player base.
- People who want 12v12 can go CW. Yes , but it s a completely different lvl of difficulty. Imagine a player playing 6 months 8v8 QP.. suddenly dropping in 12v12 CW . While now even PUG 12v12 can prepare you better for CW . Remember , not everyone belongs in a well organised team that trains pilots and guides them in game.
- Dividing options accordingly to the number of opponent (1v1 2v2, 4v4, etc) sounds interesting but at the end does what it says...dividing player base. THIS is what creates problem to the matchmaking time. 2 years ago we didn't have this problem, not even with CW.

Final thoughts : Making things easier doesn't make them better. Making things better makes them easier. We are all here for the fun of thrill , not the fun of GLHF.... A player needs to feel that he grows in here both in skill, community , and shared experiences.
"MWO its NOT an arcade MMO. A COMBAT Piloting SIMULATOR " get used to it , there is nothing out there like it . Otherwise press EJECT .

"Torso twisting after Alpha Strike"
Thanks for your patience .

Edited by SilX, 16 July 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#676 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:39 AM

I would like to see 8v8 or 6v6 in QP.

12v12 is too saturated with firepower and deathballing. You cant brawl because it is pretty discouraging to be hit by 6 mechs every time you try to come in.

The whole 12 man situtation heavily shifts balance towards gauss vomit, lurm, heavy gauss and laser vomit.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 18 July 2018 - 01:49 AM.

#677 4c1d burn

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

View PostPanzerMagier, on 07 June 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

QP was fun when you only had to carry 7 potatoes. Space captain says yes to 8v8 QP.

Also this thread is poorly advertised, I agree, it should be on MWO frontpage website.

you just suck. Look at your ranking and tell me otherwise...

#678 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 959 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

View Post4c1d burn, on 28 July 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

you just suck. Look at your ranking and tell me otherwise...

It takes one to know one.

First thing that came into my mind. :)

Edited by el piromaniaco, 30 July 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#679 Harrels Badgerton

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Indiana

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:07 AM

Hey Paul, if you're still taking feedback I want to throw in for 8v8. I think there would need to be some kind of matchmaker adjustment to really make it work but if it tightens up skill gaps in matches and speeds up matchmaking I'm all for it.

#680 Sedmeister

• PipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKuzuu Prefecture, Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:38 PM

I say no for the following reasons. There has been a significant change in the player population. The skill level and build quality of mechs in QP has deteriorated in the last 12 months.

In a team of 12, if there are one or two poor builds and/or one of two low skilled players, the large number of players means that the combination of better skills/builds has some chance of carrying the team. So 2 out of 12 like 16%.

If you reduce the team to 8 players the one or two poor builds/skilled players now becomes closer to 25%. It is harder to carry that kind of handicap.

12 players make it that little bit easier.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users