Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#561 Selitos

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

I like more players in the match, I hope someday we can even go beyond 12v12

#562 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:39 AM

[color=#959595]Instead of 8 v 8 How about going with 10 v 12 for clan v inner sphere and 10 v 10 for clan and 12 v 12 for house v house. Then you can start balancing things around the right numbers of mechs on the field per side instead of balancing with quirks and nerf clan and guass and etc... I understand this is real time vs turn based but you do have plenty of things in canon to balance with then just hey this is easy for us. Stop taking the easy road and get back to the heart and soul of Battle Tech. BT's release should have shown you and your recent announcement of stock mechs should be proof that you know that the heart and soul is what makes this a great game. Stop killing the soul.[/color]

I agree with this as well.

Clan and IS were never intended to be balanced one-to-one, doing so brings insatisfaction to both sides. IS thinks clan is overpowered, Clan sees itself as nerfed and disfavoured, and both things are true.

Trying to balance 1v1 IS vs CLAN is a failure and brings more imbalance, not less. Changing the number of players brings it back as intended.

#563 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:56 AM

Posted ImageCapperDeluxe, on 11 June 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

8v8 means less likely to have more guns in your face at once, thus increasing TTK, which is a good thing for this game.

View PostVamblery, on 12 June 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

not really. How often You see 12 mechs in fireline?

Yep, that's such a red herring argument.. you rarely run into a 12man firing line... (see nascar, see ppl not knowing how to use minimap, etc etc). Besides, if you're exposing yourself to more than 3 or 4 mechs, you're doing it wrong.. don't blame the mode.

#564 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:45 AM

Said it once, say it again, 8v8 is going backwards.........please god listen to yourselves.........and dont do dis nonsense, also on a side note, you do dis......deathstar litterally becomes impossible forever, so you will have to remove it comepletely......and we all know how great yall are at cleanup of unneeded assets >_>

Edited by ShadowHimself McEvedy, 20 June 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#565 zzoxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationGermany - Eifel

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:09 AM

View PostThroe, on 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Most of this is wrong. You're talking statistics for average potatoes. It's impossible to get more than 8 kills in 8v8 play though, so the average earnings for a highly skilled player would go down as a result of less targets to shoot at.

Really? Highly skilled players will get mad because they´re limited to only killing 2 entire lances per match? You have less than 8 kills per match means you´re an average potato? With 2 highly skilled players on 1 team you need 17 to 24 enemies at least or they will go broke? Didn´t know that, ty.

#566 Frostulfr

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:12 AM

My thoughts:
  • I think it should be an option, similar to the server locations. Drastic sweeping changes in a game, especially ones that show a fairly divided community over the subject are not always a great idea unless they're an option.
  • It should not be implemented in Faction play, most likely. I'm torn on this since it could potentially speed up that mode, but it tends to be dominated by already large group sizes anyway, which can be fairly quick when that meets a PUG.
  • It should not be implemented until the relatively significant number of disconnects in this game gets fixed. One disconnect goes from a 8.3% manning loss to 12.5%. Not to mention potential tonnage.
  • It's a bit backwards thinking as well, normally games expand upwards on player count in match, if you're willing to do 8v8 for those who want to get in faster, then a 20v20 option would also be nice (and doesn't mess up the lore-driven/balance-driven lance sizes either).
  • It's a higher chance of a smaller group/PUG in group drop being completely steamrolled by an 8 man group than a 12 man.
Feel free anyone to comment or rebut these, just my thoughts on this, figured I would post them since that's how I voted. I'm coming into this discussion with a perspective of only having played for about 6-8 weeks now, which I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but it seems most people playing have been playing for a while.

Sorry if my post has any inconsistencies, brain is a little fuzzy right now from some pain meds. Can explain further any of my points if asked.

Quick edit: Additional thought. If this is pulling resources from say things like updating the engine or maybe improving load times or the honestly kinda crappy UI in some parts of the game (like the Main Home screen, that is just not good) then my vote is a solid no. If you want community feedback, then you're asking the wrong questions, you should be asking for priorities on QoL improvements, like the stuff I just mentioned.

Edited by Frostulfr, 13 June 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#567 Vamblery

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

One thing more. Less players in game - shorter fight. Shorter fight - more fight per hour and more loading screen per hour.

And ... another thing. Maybe good idea is to concentrate on marketing promotion of WMO?

Edited by Vamblery, 13 June 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#568 Slothasaurus

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

Please no 8 vs 8. If possible increase match size 16 vs 16 or 20 vs 20.

#569 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostImperius, on 11 June 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

How many 0.01% need to be “micro-removed” until you realize you alienated a large percent?

How much would you consider a large percent? By simple math, a shave of 0.01% would have do be done a hundred times in order to reach 1%. Even more than that since Paul mentioned that the number is less than 0.01%.

Also, remember that Paul can look into game logs. Numbers that he states will, quite often, be very accurate.

View PostPaul Inouye, on 11 June 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

Gonna throw a wrench in here to see what you guys think of this. Kinda related...

Dropping support for groups of 3,5,6,7,9,10,11. All of the groups of that size COMBINED make up less than 0.01% of games being launched. This would mean the MM would only be dealing with groups of 2,4,8 and 12 which would speed things up drastically. While this is something not really slated for implementation... I'd like to know if anyone has some thoughts on this.

On the note of looking into game logs, I'm curious:
Out of the odd-man groups that enter queue, which number shows up most often?

#570 Fantomas against Aniskin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLeningrad

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Dear PGI, you forgot you have a test client. We won't know without trying. Let us play in this mode and then we will know what to vote for.

#571 Major Spongebob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 128 posts
  • LocationB/W

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

bahhhhhhhh

8vs8 is ********

#572 Major Spongebob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 128 posts
  • LocationB/W

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

hi all

remember mechwarioronlline was new and only 8 vs 8 matches all will 12 vs 12 8 vs 8 is a to short game mod

#573 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostThroe, on 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

Most of this is wrong. You're talking statistics for average potatoes. It's impossible to get more than 8 kills in 8v8 play though, so the average earnings for a highly skilled player would go down as a result of less targets to shoot at.

So you're telling me there are people who regularly Ace of Spades a match as it is?

Because there's also fewer people shooting at targets, meaning you're actually more likely to get to at least take one shot at everyone red on the field. People die slower in 8v8, meaning if you're really that Deity of Death, you'll be almost certainly part of nearly every killshot opportunity on the field.

The average "good" player, if my matches are any indication are taking out 3-4 per match. 8 is plenty of targets available to notch that many kills on your belt.

#574 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:27 PM

Reduce group size back to 4 and allow team size to dynamically scale depending on the number of players in the queue. Grouped players should comprise no more than 1/3 to 1/2 of a team with solo players filling out the rest.

#575 Zakerystrife

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

If they wanted this poll to actually mean something then I wouldn't have heard about it from a friend literally 12 days after the OP. There is no mention of this VERY important poll aside from the forums? C'mon at least let others know. Send emails, spam twitter, actually make this poll count from the community.

#576 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

I feel like it would be a problem with the high amount of dcs and afks. A team of 12 can handle 1 dc, much worse when there are 2 afks or dcs on a team of 8.

Also some maps are currently even too big for 12 players, like forest colony, where the walking distances from the starting point are way too long, polar or alpine.

I think i would miss the skirmishes beetween two light wolfpacks, so 8 lights fighting each other about some cap points. Sometimes i love the chaos of 12 mechs in a match, also gives me some freedom to do my own thing sometimes.

Perhaps as an option for group 8 vs 8 would be an option.

#577 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Why not both?

While you sorta improved matchmaker, next you should fix tier assignments (zero-sum), then you should fix how MM assigns teams so you split Tier score evenly between teams...

If MM has a problem doing the last part for a 12 man, then as a release value you have control over, it can drop to 8v8 after X seconds/minute.

It would be cool to play 8v8 sometimes and 12v12 sometimes to liven things up.

#578 DocSuave69

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

I think having options would make for some interesting battles/maps/strategies. 12v12, 8v8, 4v4 options would be my vote! Smaller teams give a very intimate feel with your comrades, for better or worse. While 12v12 alleviates the 'difficulties' involved when less experienced pilots are on one team. I feel the increased numbers give less experienced teams fighting chance if commanded properly. 8v8 is fine, but I played way back when the game was in beta, and as someone who recently returned, 12v12 has been much more enjoyable!

#579 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

PLEASE NO. KEEP QUICK PLAY 12V12

Solaris should not dictate the rest of the game.

Edited by Bigbacon, 13 June 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#580 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

View PostLittle Details, on 13 June 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Why not both?

While you sorta improved matchmaker, next you should fix tier assignments (zero-sum), then you should fix how MM assigns teams so you split Tier score evenly between teams...

If MM has a problem doing the last part for a 12 man, then as a release value you have control over, it can drop to 8v8 after X seconds/minute.

It would be cool to play 8v8 sometimes and 12v12 sometimes to liven things up.

View PostBigbacon, on 13 June 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

PLEASE NO. KEEP QUICK PLAY 12V12

Solaris should not dictate the rest of the game.

Why not both 8vs8 and 12vs12 based on available population.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users