Current Sate Of The Game. Who Is Left?

Social

113 replies to this topic

#41 kailii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 30 July 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

what about the people that are playing and not using steam?

That would be me.
And i'm...

OH DANG!

Can't write b/c forum police policies polio whatever.

And that's that.

#42 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostImperius, on 30 July 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

Many whales and streamers have left MWO and it’s getting real bad.

Who is still around and why?

I am still here, thought not as much as I used to be. November 2013 was when MWO became my go-to nightly game. Now, I spend more and more of my time with other games. As I say often enough this game is over 5 years old, especially if you count the time in Beta which I was not a part of, and that is a long time for a video game. I have accomplished most of what I set out to accomplish with this game... and some I never dreamed of daring. (Namely, being a Unit Commander; Liberating Terra; being a Community Leader on the Free Worlds League Military Teamspeak and Website)

The "Why"... The base game (Quick Play) can still be fun. The Mech Lab is still fun. Well, still fun for me because I was well paid for all my Modules (for which all my Mechs had) and my consumables (which were given to me that I never use). I do not anticipate having to pay/grind to skill a Mech ever again. If you are a new player, you probably hate the Mech Lab and Skill Tree. And the good friends that still pop into the TS and chat and do drops are lots of fun and the main reason I still stick around.

The game is dying, albeit slowly. Steamcharts shows it. Match search time shows it. My in game Friends List shows it. Isengrim's definition of an "active" player is a bad joke. The reduction of the Faction Warfare "buckets" murdered faction loyalty which in turn ended Faction Warfare enthusiasm. (which I predicted to Singr4y when they did it) I have tried to increase enthusiasm, for my part. I have attempted to lead events such as Monday Marik Madness and Friday Marik Fury, but most of it was in vain. The general interest in this game just is not there anymore. Who wants to get gunned down by a machine gun boat early in the match? Or die a useless death by LRM rain on Polar Highlands when you are NARCed? Or get steam-rolled because matchmaker put your "pug" team up against an organized team? Or grind and grind away on a Mech and Skill Tree nodes only to find that it just does not work well only to be forced to grind more to change it?

View PostSavage Wolf, on 30 July 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

Question: Why is it important whether or not the top players still play? What are they to you?

It is not important to me. I don't care. However, it should be important to PGI. Having the Star Players of your game quit your game because it is not fun anymore is embarrassing. And an indicator that your game may have serious problems.

#43 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

Still here. I’m not going anywhere. The game is still entertaining, it’s still Mechwarrior, and yes, I bought a mechpack recently. Completed my Resistance 1-I said in the thread asking for suggestions that if they put it in sale I’d bite, and I did. And I’m not sorry.

It’s a game. Is it perfect? No. Nothing in the human endeavor is perfect. But it’s improved a lot since I started in the summer of 2015, and it’s still the only PvP game I play regularly, warts and all.

#44 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

im still here but im only really doing events at this point. ive also stopped buying mech packs.

#45 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

I am still here and spending money because its fun.

#46 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

I stopped due to needing a new rig. And by the time i can justify getting a new one, it may be a year from now.

And gameplay seems stale and the balance direction is very questionable.

#47 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I've actually gone back to playing some League of Legends in the past few weeks.

Solaris season 1 kept me very into MWO, but Solaris season 2 is of no interest to me because
I cant trust that PGi wont change mechs divisions midseason, (King crab 6 ac2 needs to move to div 1)
That they wont change rewards for playing 2 weeks before the end of the season.
That you can lose 35 SSR to someone avoiding fighting for 10 mins in a light.
That the 10 placement matches can leave you at 1570 SSR when you went 7 - 3 in them (coz you lost the last 3) (it needs to have hidden bonus SSR above the SSR cap, until your 10 games are done)

Faction Play, They killed it when they switched from 20 buckets to 2 without splitting queue's between groups and solo dropping, they had a few more chances to implement this, Tukyaid 3, Civil war launch, but now the population is waay too low to implement it. (2 weeks of a unit tags queue and a no unit tags queue is NOT THE SAME THING, that was completely imbecillic insane stupidity, allowing people to just remove their unit tags and still queue as a group to stomp seals) (and that rediculous idea was tested SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH A BRAND NEW GAME MODE CALLED SCOUTING that everyone was INTESTED IN at the time because it was new.)
Now populations is so low the wait times are intolerable/the one sided nature of matches is even more extreme.

Grouped Quick Play, I have never liked it, mainly because of the tonnage restrictions and longer wait times than normal QP, but also because the rewards are not higher for grouped quick play vs better players.

Quick Play...... POETAETOES

LURMS !!!! REEEEEEEEE........ thanks Chris/Paul. The lrm buffs would be fine IF AMS WAS COMPULSORY, on mechs that have the hardpoints equipped / people pushed vs a lrm team, but they dont, they sit back and die 1 by 1.

Comp scene, too unfriendly to new players / not enough mid tier teams / mid tier teams generally getting destroyed by the top tier teams not getting matches vs other mid tier teams.

Oh, and im still sad i missed the 1 shot Camo sale last weekend, im really sad about that, Pokemech, gotta paint them all !

#48 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

Oh, and the fact that Friends list still doesnt switch people to offline when they log off, after years.

The fact that there is no pgi posts tracker on the forums, something that game companies were doing in the 90's

The lack of / jumbled forms of communication between pgi and their community, where things get tweeted or posted on reddit not official forums, and you have to follow those places as well to keep on top of what insanity is going on.

The in game Faction play / other global chats leaking / eating memory,

Chat wisper windows REAPPEARING after you close them.

No info on "Faction play updates are next after Solaris launches" that was 4-5 months ago .....

Edited by Cadoazreal, 30 July 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#49 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

As of tonight I am taking a break:

For months, if not a couple of years it has been touch'n'go but with the dissolution of my unit and the realisation that I just don't have the drive or interest to keep "doing this to myself" it is time to get out of Dodge for a while. There are MANY little things and not too few big ones that have led to it.

1. The loooooooooooong wait for CW.
2. The poorly implemented Ph.1 and 2 and 3 and ....well whatever it is now. "One bukket stole my funsies".
3. Engine desync... poorly implemented.
4. Skill Maze Tree.... I have nearly 400 'Mechs .... I REALLY can't be bothered "tweaking" them all, I wanted to play the game not spend weeks in the Mechlab.... AGAIN.
5. But then again there is no point because 80-85% are just trash, 5-7.5% are a "challenge" and the rest are the current META.
6. The balance NERF's, tweaks and twerks that have pretty much sapped any fun out of diversity and ensured you HAVE to run the best build and only with a few chosen weapon systems.......and don't get me started on the LRM's.

I could go on but I think I will stop for my own sanity. Bye bye.

#50 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:48 PM

The biggest thing for me besides the horrible balance shenanigans would be matchmaking. Not trying to humble brag, but being 100% honest... It gets boring getting 3-5 kills and 800-1200 damage a match in meta mechs because I am matched with people in stock builds. So then I run less meta mechs because its 'more fun' but that gets boring too because there is only so interesting you can make a mech and still have it be actually viable. And its infuriating to lose a match when you know you could have won it if I brought out the MCII, AHN, HBR... Games are 90% stomps that feel like a waste of time win or lose. Mech diversity/build diversity gets worse and worse. Stopped playing after 1.5 months back from my year long break. It might be another year before I try again.

Fix PSR/Matchmaking and I will be back. We already wait 5-7 minutes between matches. I don't mind waiting another 1-2 for actual balanced games.

#51 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

I came back for Solaris after taking a break from when the Nightstar came out (I do like that mech regardless of how bad it is). I came back recently to just see who the PTS was and the live state of the game. Compared to pre-skilltree balance, the game is in shambles. I can't stand the imbalance super high pinpoint alphas, and high alphas in general, it isn't healthy and PGI is too scared to address it in a rational direct method and instead keeps mucking around with side things. Energy Draw is a side idea, ghost head is a side idea, changing duration and cooldown are pointless.

IF PGI changes heat cap to a locked 30 heat capacity for all mechs regardless of how many heatsinks are in the mech and what type are in it, then there is a chance the game can become playable again. Smack changes to make the max heat for a single weapon to 13, change heat containment skill to additional cool-runs (or removal, both work), change heatsinks to sink faster (so single heatsinks in this brave new world are worth something, hello early IS Omni's and compact heatsinks). Instead of being able to have multiple mechs on each team at 100+ damage alphas, and the meta saying 70+ Damage alpha or go home, unless you can run 2xHGR, you end up with a far more healthy space. Why? Because you don't have 2+ mechs dumping 106 damage into a mech at the same time and making it gone thus allowing people to play instead of just hunker down, listen to the LRM's fly overhead, and components fall off of their teammates until one way or the other the match is decided by a couple of seconds of focus fire melting entire mechs. Instead it would make it require more mechs to focus on one to make it pop in a gunline so pushes are more powerful, brawling is more powerful against pinpoint as they have the capacity to cool and volley fire, bracket builds aren't hilariously self harming.

Heat Cap hard 30, heat sinks matter for cooling rate only, max 13 heat for a single weapon (maybe lower, the idea is unless you really mess up a build you should be able to fire 2xHPPC or 2xHLL on Terra Therma without instantly overheating, just being toasty). This reduces how powerful coolshots are as well, increases how useful Flamers are too, as well as ballistics of all types, and mixing of weapons that are of different levels of heat/damage.

I'll be back when the Champion is out to run the 3N, but, I have little to no hope for that mech given how little liberty they took with the trash TRO artwork. I mean, the torso looks good, but, the arms need shields on them instead of scoops, the scoops were only for the LAM version.

But really, I stopped playing due to the game became too formulaic, the playerbase learned how to break all the restricting systems in play and get horrific large alphas and huge pinpoint alphas that just make it impossible to enjoy the game. I (even as a huge fan and owner of the Fafnir) would be down for making it so you can only charge and hold charge for 1 HGR at a time (but mounting 2 is fine, don't mind) just to reduce the pinpoint damage nature of 40-50 damage to one spot with no travel time.

#52 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

I left because lack of new content for most interesting game mode to play (FP), and....this is the big one: constant "balance updates". Personally, I enjoy being good at things I do, and this game has always had a huge gap between things that work and things that don't. The vast majority of balance changes to the game never really reduced that gap, but just rearranged imbalances, (and in many cases actually made it worse thus reducing the number of workable playstyles). When you do this in a game as complicated as MWO in terms of how many mechs, weapons, equipment, and....#$^%$@#@ skills there are you end up having to spend countless hours rediscovering the meta all the time or accept being at a significant disadvantage. NOW some people have the time for this and really enjoy it, and power to them. But most people only have so many hours a week they can spend playing a video game, and not everyone likes to spend most of it sitting in the mech garage trying to do the math on some new nerf that suddenly made half the mech setups you play obsolete.

I gotta say though, what made me stay as long as I did was the community and teamwork. It was a blast dropping with SA, BCMC and all the other great units this game has

#53 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

Oh yeah, Engine desync, the terrible rescale, the blanket nerfs to weapons so that mechs that cant boat them are completely f****d, so that lights either have mg's or srm4's lasers on lights are terrible.... etc etc etc etc, I am not at the "im done" point i reached with WoW a few months after they added the panda's, but right now i feel i am getting very close, but im definately a masochist.

Oh, all the things russ told us would be implemented soon.tm at the last faction play round table, 9? months ago..... no word on that stuff, like CHOOSING WHICH DROPZONE TO DROP IN INDIVIDUALLY WHILE DEAD, not having to be alive and take command to move ppl between lances...... 9 months and no word on something we were told "shouldn't be too hard" and "should be added soon" is 9 months soon russ ?

In regards to rescale, jenner and firestarter are too big, catapult is too small (i exploit this), Black Knight is too tall, i am sure there are others i have missed.

The ADDING of contract desertion penalties, the removal of desertion penalties and not returning lost ranks to those that lost them, the keeping of LOYALIST contract taking penalties 10 probationary matches bs, but no merc contract taking probationary matches.

The breaking of merc contract % income bonus's and NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMMUNITY IN REGARDS TO THIS IN THE 6??? MONTHS SINCE YOU BROKE IT ?!

I dont know why I am bothering, pgi don't.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 30 July 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#54 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

I haven't quit MWO yet.....just haven't bothered to log back in to check my connection.

#55 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

Blood Asp nerf was a major straw for me, after spending $70 on the ultimate set. No mas no mas.

That alone should not make me drop MWO, but I am also playing other games, and the time/engagement ratio does not seem to favor this game, plus I am not getting better at it, I seem to be playing worst, which can be due to nerfs in my set ups or just age creep. Plus its been five long years of in and out playing, maybe it is time to truly move on from the game, though not from the forums which still seems to be a lot of fun.

I may play once in a while to kill time and for nostalgia, but once the open beta of Battle of Titans hits the NA region, that might be it. Or if I may decide to install Monster Hunter on the PC, or No Man's Sky or Warframe.

Edited by Anjian, 30 July 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#56 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

The game fills a niche not much else scratches. I go through stages of frustration and at times avoid the game but if you have friends in this its hard to leave. I love solaris but the elo system and player skill gap is just so wrong. I also enjoy the skill tree system funnily enough I would actually like even more customisation but I am a tinkerer. The stale content is wearing and the second my team is finished with MWOWC this year unfortunately it is likely it will be goodbye.

#57 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

Retired pilot here! Though I still browse the forums because i'm hoping the game would change for the better.

#58 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:25 AM

-Still here
-#wallet closed
-Killing time & dropping with people I like
-Given up hope on improving MWO, cause MW5 is around the corner (which I am totally not going to touch, not even with a 2 lightyears long stick)

Edited by B0oN, 31 July 2018 - 03:26 AM.

#59 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

I was done with MWO around the time they implemented ghost heat. I have no idea what compelled me to play or post again other than my love of all things Battletech.

At its absolute core MWO is an amazingly fun game. But from the very beginning it was clear that PGI had no idea how to manage and expand on that core gameplay. It's like they stumbled upon a recipe for success and instead decided to throw random ingredients into the bowl to see what happens.

#60 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:54 AM

Don't play - mainly because of hardware issues (and my graphic card overheated whatever while I was playing MWO (maybe its just a driver issue but BSOD happens when i install the correct driver)

i still suspect a conspiracy here. The good about MWO its still a thrilling game with enough time spend not playing. When you play for two-three weeks every 5+ months its a challenge to walk and shoot things.

But once you are back in the saddle you realize that the players are bad not bad considering skill alone (the skill of shooting and walking straight is simple enough to learn) but bad in terms of simple tactics and awareness.

I will stalk the forums at least I need some value for my 1,000+ $ spend into hope and empty promisses. And I'm really curious how and when the boat crashes.... It would need a 180° turn with much greater in impact compared to the Alpha Lance Packages.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users