07 Bacon Redefines "play2Win; Inaugurates A Weekly Faction Warfare Operation Code-Named: W.a.s.p.; Wins A Planet To End 8 Week Long Fw Stalemate!

145 replies to this topic

#81 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:44 AM

View PostPurusee, on 13 November 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

Sometimes I wonder... when it becomes apparent that the enemy team is trying to win by objective, either by prediction due to the tags or something else, would stacking tall/wide mechs in front of the gens prevent or at least delay anything?
Say, you take 2 Atli, or Annihilators for each gen, and then stack the rest of the mechs in a formation around the center so they can focus fire at whatever comes through and attack the structures?

Yes, stacking mechs in front of gens is the defense tactic to this sort of thing. Sometimes you can almost see the confusion of the gen rushers when they get to the gens and can't actually shoot the gens. You could almost hear their VOIP exchange:
Drop Caller: "Shoot the gens!!!"
Rest of team: "we can't!!

There used to be gen rush teams that complained that blocking gens is an "exploit" and whined the rest of the game after 1st wave that it's not fair that they could be blocked.

Edited by Vxheous, 13 November 2018 - 02:12 AM.

#82 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:40 AM

View PostPurusee, on 13 November 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

Sometimes I wonder... when it becomes apparent that the enemy team is trying to win by objective, either by prediction due to the tags or something else, would stacking tall/wide mechs in front of the gens prevent or at least delay anything?
Say, you take 2 Atli, or Annihilators for each gen, and then stack the rest of the mechs in a formation around the center so they can focus fire at whatever comes through and attack the structures?

1 fatnir is all it takes to block a gen. Bring more fatnirs against genrushing scums.

#83 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:26 AM

Ok..

So, I understan the OP's desire to stick it to the big groups in FP..

I agree to an extent.. BUT.. I fail to see the principal motivation behind it..

You want to win in FP.. WHY exactly?

FP today is nothing more than QP with respawns.. the planets mean nothing?

So who cares what unit / faction has them? Who cares how long there hasn't been any conquest there?

It literally means nothing..

At least for now..

If that changes.. and you want some descent LRM boaters in your roster.. ALRM might answer the call..

#84 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:33 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 November 2018 - 03:26 AM, said:

Ok..

So who cares what unit / faction has them? Who cares how long there hasn't been any conquest there?

At least for now..

If that changes.. and you want some descent LRM boaters in your roster.. ALRM might answer the call..

Gentlemen, our lord and savior hath descended upon u- WARNING: INCOMING MISSILE

#85 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:38 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 November 2018 - 03:26 AM, said:

Ok..

At least for now..

I play it because I like the strategic layer it adds to QP. You can pick a drop deck of mechs, coordinate them with your team, and suit them to the map and mode you're playing. It adds a lot of depth on top of the normal QP. Strategies that are not possible in QP become common in FP because you can actually bring the right tools for the job.

#86 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:41 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 November 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

I play it because I like the strategic layer it adds to QP. You can pick a drop deck of mechs, coordinate them with your team, and suit them to the map and mode you're playing. It adds a lot of depth on top of the normal QP. Strategies that are not possible in QP become common in FP because you can actually bring the right tools for the job.

What are you talking about dear sir, LRMs are a one size fits all solution.

#87 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:46 AM

Gen rushes with LRMs sounds like next level strategy.

#88 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:46 AM

View PostNightbird, on 12 November 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

Good match on Emerald Taiga Bacon o7 if you didn't have two pugs that LRMed all game, it may have ended differently given how much health was on Omega at the end.

Thank you Nightbird, I thought it a fun and exciting match. It probably wouldn't have been as exciting had we not tried to mix it up. And you can count on us trying to mix it up. Not only to win, but to make playing FW more entertaining. The rest of your post is the same rhetoric I'm hearing from everybody else, and I'd kindly ask you to quit telling us how to play the game. Cheers 075

#89 Angry Potato

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:02 AM

People don't solo drop because they don't feel like seeing which keyboard warrior is going to channel their inner Baldrick today (Blackadder reference).

"I have a cunning plan, milord..."

And for good measure not listen to instructions/requests, bring mechs that are flat out garbage, or that old chest nut: "I'm going to do my own thing, no I'm not going to share armour when I can shoot walls instead of mechs from behind cover, and to boot I'm going to accuse anyone who kills me of being a hacker".

TLDR; why would people put up with non team players when they don't have to? Dealing with opponents who behave like they've been repeatedly bashed in the face with a frypan is often tilting enough, without adding those same people to your team.

#90 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:18 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 13 November 2018 - 03:46 AM, said:

Gen rushes with LRMs sounds like next level strategy.

Not able to get locks on gens? No problem just dumbfire em. Locks would just make gen rushing too ez.

#91 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:39 AM

Let me try to understand what's happening here.

Some guy convinces a group of people to join him and use a tactic to take a planet. He gets the MCs for taking the planet and is under no obligation to share.

Guy getting MC = Winner
Everyone else involved = Losers

Sounds like a cult to me.

#92 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:36 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 13 November 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

Not able to get locks on gens? No problem just dumbfire em. Locks would just make gen rushing too ez.

dude, gen rushing with lrms, that's like MWO Legendary difficulty Posted Image

on the subject of FF turrets, I would like to be able to report turrets for friendly fire, like really it's so ridiculous. I guess IFF is lostech along with 20th century night vision/thermals and reversing cameras

#93 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 13 November 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

on the subject of FF turrets, I would like to be able to report turrets for friendly fire, like really it's so ridiculous. I guess IFF is lostech along with 20th century night vision/thermals and reversing cameras

I just destroy the turret if they FF me, oh and also if they killstealed HAHAHA

#94 fenomeno

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:01 AM

View PostNightbird, on 12 November 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

The reason that we poke fun at you though is because win or lose, most pilots can only take being one-sidely shot at for so long before saying enough is enough, I want to shoot back. Because of this, veteran pilots tend to be recruited away from units like yours (MS/HHOD/ARKB) etc that gen rush a lot. Gen rushing is a mechanic, but not a rewarding one in game. You get no cbills, no EXP, no LP/RP.

If you want to continue to be one of many trainee units that build up members only to lose them to an 'elite' unit around, it's your right. Our view that you should focus more on getting kills, even if you end up not damaging a single gen, is really for you to keep your members and grow as a unit. GLHF

There's a difference between 'poking fun' at a unit or playstyle (which is entirely justified), and what goes on in these threads sometimes... yes, I also found it very boring to be on either side of a gen rush... and I was one of the pilots you describe. I started out in FW with [07], learned pretty much everything I know about MWO from Heavy Cavalry and co, appreciated the community and comms they fostered... but eventually moved on as I realised my preferred play style was winning via the opposition losing all their mechs instead of all their buildings.

I started dropping with the 'elite' units regularly... and discovered that a majority of their pilots would rather wait in line to farm easy kills off the back of a handful of exceptional pilots, instead of form a second group to go head-to-head with each other.

Morally, that's on par with gen-rushing, surely - players taking the path of least resistance to get themselves the win? (or the kills, or the credits, or whatever).

#95 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

View Postfenomeno, on 13 November 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

There's a difference between 'poking fun' at a unit or playstyle (which is entirely justified), and what goes on in these threads sometimes... yes, I also found it very boring to be on either side of a gen rush... and I was one of the pilots you describe. I started out in FW with [07], learned pretty much everything I know about MWO from Heavy Cavalry and co, appreciated the community and comms they fostered... but eventually moved on as I realised my preferred play style was winning via the opposition losing all their mechs instead of all their buildings.

I started dropping with the 'elite' units regularly... and discovered that a majority of their pilots would rather wait in line to farm easy kills off the back of a handful of exceptional pilots, instead of form a second group to go head-to-head with each other.

Morally, that's on par with gen-rushing, surely - players taking the path of least resistance to get themselves the win? (or the kills, or the credits, or whatever).

Not sarcastic btw. Wow there are still 'elite' groups with 24+ ppl in them? Also as a lot of ppl here said nobody gives a crap nowadays about any sort of FP winnings especially when PGI doing 'play 1-2 FP games per day in 2 weeks and get 2100 MC' events. We play because it's the only gamemode where you play what you want as you want depending on map you get and where teamwork matters at least a tiny bit unlike QP where win depends on who has less tier 4s in their team or GQ where it depends who has less 2xPlayer groups running 2 bloody Locusts.

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 13 November 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#96 theplayerx4734

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:33 AM

Theres a warning when you start up FP stating that it is a end game mode. Perhaps that should appear every time. End game means end game, before comp. If you dont want 12 mans play qp.

#97 November Juliet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:41 AM

This honestly the most mind numbing Post I’ve ever read. Bacon you do you. If you wanna gen rush knock yourself out. I’ll play with whomever I feel like and if that means I stomp you into the ground 48-12 too dang bad for you. Your “fun” is not my problem. Faction play is hardcore mode. Don’t like it stick to quickplay. The mechs are picked based on map. So it is in your best interest to play mechs tailored to maps. Just as it’s in your best interest to play with a team. I could care less if you want to gen rush really, if you want to die easy so be it.

#98 fenomeno

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 13 November 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Not sarcastic btw. Wow there are still 'elite' groups with 24+ ppl in them? Also as a lot of ppl here said nobody gives a crap nowadays about any sort of FP winnings especially when PGI doing 'play 1-2 FP games per day in 2 weeks and get 2100 MC' events. We play because it's the only gamemode where you play what you want as you want depending on map you get and where teamwork matters at least a tiny bit unlike QP where win depends on who has less tier 4s in their team or GQ where it depends who has less 2xPlayer groups running 2 bloody Locusts.

I mean I've not played as much in recent months, but getting 24+ pilots on at the same time was always incredibly rare in the last couple of years.

However, getting 15 or 16, all in the same channel on Cbr1, or PUGS United, or the BCMC before Comstar NA was abandoned, or whatever the preferred BCMC+EVIL+Friends channel happened a lot.

Often times enough for two groups of 6-8 'elite' pilots to carry pugs, but it was very rare that they would ever split the group to get fair matches against each other - whenever it was attempted, one group would always disband, presumably when they realised they would have to put some individual effort in.

I understand why people play FP... I played pretty much exclusively FP for the same reasons, but my point is that a lot of the abuse for 'gen-rushing' units goes too far, and is often from pilots who really aren't that good when they're not being carried by the top 0.5% players.

#99 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

View Postfenomeno, on 13 November 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

I understand why people play FP... I played pretty much exclusively FP for the same reasons, but my point is that a lot of the abuse for 'gen-rushing' units goes too far, and is often from pilots who really aren't that good when they're not being carried by the top 0.5% players.

Just out of curiosity I went and Jarl listed guys who were roasting bacon in this thread: https://leaderboard....D%0AGrus+%0D%0A

As for FP 'elite' they don't play this game for competition. They play FP because they love this kind of gameplay where you just hang out with relatively good players for this game and don't get on brawl mechs on Polar or are tonnage handicapped as I said. Sure they enjoy good games but if they wanted to challenge themselves in this game they would play comp.

Edited by denAirwalkerrr, 13 November 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#100 November Juliet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:22 AM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 13 November 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity I went and Jarl listed guys who were roasting bacon in this thread: https://leaderboard....D%0AGrus+%0D%0A

As for FP 'elite' they don't play this game for competition. They play FP because they love this kind of gameplay where you just hang out with relatively good players for this game and don't get on brawl mechs on Polar or are tonnage handicapped as I said. Sure they enjoy good games but if they wanted to challenge themselves in this game they would play comp.

Would love to see more comp teams play faction play as well. Had some very good games against goons, jujus group which I realize is some comp and some not, and others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users