Why Mw5 Will Be A Flop

172 replies to this topic

#41 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 December 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

Still better than Star Citizen.

Really? Why would you compare those 2? A normal SP game to a game with, maybe too ambitious, features that has never been in one single game yet? There is a difference to paint a picture by color by numbers and actually creating a picture yourself. Why so much hate? Have you seen what they have achieved by now? I am no game dev but i would say its a lot of work creating that stuff.

BTT: Really that bad? Is there any way to watch that gameplay? Only interested in MW5 and dont want to watch the whole, as it seems disappointing by the forumthreads, MechCon.

#42 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:16 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 02 December 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about with merging MW2 and the Mercenaries concept. There is literally a MW2: Mercenaries game that followed up on MW2 decades ago. Same with MW4. The difference here is that PGI decided to build the Mercenaries game first instead of making a traditional linear campaign and putting out a Mercenaries sequel afterwards.

And it's the 5th numbered game in a very long running series. Of course it's going to be a new game based on old ideas. That's what sequels are.

Also, it's voilà.

That's it? That's about as innovative as the simplicity of the VW Beetle.... The storyline is the IP and of all of the tied concepts, Mercenaries avoids the actual storyline......IS versus Clan. It fit yet another niche and we went there in MW4.

Why not take this IP for a spin..... This is the same as Hollywood and films: sequel after sequel because they avoid the R&D costs to make sequels......they can make money BUT, as with MW5, there could be so much more......

Of course, that would assume that they have an innovation team with the skills to make "something new...." Nope. As I have said before, the "next generation" of game developers will make games that are smart, self learning and self adapting and the can "teach" and "reward" individual skills and accomplishments......

MW5 is just re-do of that which came before it........because it looks that way and perception is reality....

#43 Ivan Bloodguard

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:20 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 01 December 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

Personally I don't think MW5 will be a flop.

I believe that there is a trend towards Single Player games as gamers will be trying to avoid all the toxicity (ironical I know) from forced pvp.

As long as they can make SP engaging... there is no need for online play.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I was excited to hear about a new MW game until I learned it was single-player and then I lost all interest.

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:20 AM

MW5 would feel a lot more fresh if it actually went into a timeline that BT games haven't explored yet with technologies that haven't been used in any previous MW game. 3025 is the most overused setting in this IP.

#45 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:25 AM

View PostKotzi, on 02 December 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

Really? Why would you compare those 2? A normal SP game to a game with, maybe too ambitious, features that has never been in one single game yet? There is a difference to paint a picture by color by numbers and actually creating a picture yourself. Why so much hate? Have you seen what they have achieved by now? I am no game dev but i would say its a lot of work creating that stuff.

BTT: Really that bad? Is there any way to watch that gameplay? Only interested in MW5 and dont want to watch the whole, as it seems disappointing by the forumthreads, MechCon.

Never said I hate MW5. I meant that no matter how much MW5 is being criticized, it will still be a released game, compared to Star Citizen--which continues to suck up money without being released.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 December 2018 - 06:37 AM.

#46 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:27 AM

Looks good to me for a pre-Beta version. If a map looks unfinished, it is. Have not yet seen how Salvage, Contracts, Star Travel and Factions will play out, but these are the interactive parts of the story, plus the market econonmy. The part where you spend your CBills.

If you are playing without foot pedals, you want the Torso-Twist to be controlled by the RZ-axis (stick twist) and Mech-Turn by the X-Axis. As in MWO, I am sure you will be able to set this in Options, but many players may not know how much this improves mech movement control.

What's funny is that MW5 looks like a game we dreamed of playing back during MW3 and MW4 Mercs. Now some are predicting doom already. I'll pre-order a copy, where do I sign?

By the way, you want a Closed and Open Beta for this game. Player input is essential for fine tuning and suggestions. Shorter than MWO's Beta test period though. MWO was pretty basic when the Beta started.

Edited by Lightfoot, 02 December 2018 - 06:35 AM.

#47 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 02 December 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

What's funny is that MW5 looks like a game we dreamed of playing back during MW3 and MW4 Mercs. Now some are predicting doom already. I'll pre-order a copy, where do I sign?

Never pre-order games. Game companies need to understand that pre-ordering shouldn't be a thing ever since they switched to digital form.

Gamers are the ones allowing game companies to get away with whatever scummy practice they are infamous for nowadays.

#48 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 December 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

Never pre-order games. Game companies need to understand that pre-ordering shouldn't be a thing ever since they switched to digital form.

Gamers are the ones allowing game companies to get away with whatever scummy practice they are infamous for nowadays.

We'll see then. I think predicting doom is not called for at this point.

EA had a MechWarrior online pvp game which Microsoft cancelled for MW4 in 2001 in which the mechs all moved ponderously compared to other MechWarrior games, but oddly enough the combat worked and was great fun. So if PGI is experimenting with this it's a good thing, just to see what works best. Some posts complained about slow AI movement, but that's not really how AI's work.

#49 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:18 AM

Well, I looked at the presentation on the Twitch replay.

The AI looks about MW4 level, as other posters have commented. Similar to low Tier 5 play in MWO. Time-to-kill looks to be higher than MWO. Part of that is that the PGI players were on joysticks and they look to be pretty spudly even without that. They didn’t follow drop lead targeting orders and didn’t focus. MW5 is using a lot of MWO assets. The TDR’s cockpit is right out of MWO, and all the models are MWO assets, all clearly recognizable. Terrain looks good, and the buildings all are destructible. LRM15 spread is atrocious as is flight time. Laser recycle times are awful. Heat generation and dissipation are in line with present MWO mechs, post-91 skills, but it’s obvious that the mechs are sporting single heat sinks. Piloting mechanics are identical to MWO all across the board, some of the icons on the minimap for mech types are different and the fonts, colors, and graphics for the HUD are slightly different but placement and in-combat operation will be instantly recognizable to any MWO vet and should be easy to pick up, probably halfway through the first drop we will feel comfortable. Mech agility appears similar to older IS platforms in MWO. And the Marauder 3R made an appearance. That tells me that the Harmony Gold settlement gave PGI the authority to use at least some of the present MWO Unseen/Reseen in games derived from MWO.

I suspect that we are seeing what MWO2 will look like in about 36 months, give or take six months. And I wasn’t surprised at the September ‘19 date. That’ll get pushed back to Q1 2020, I imagine.

#50 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:28 AM

If I can already manage a mercenary unit with HBS-BT, and I can already pilot a bunch of mechs against challenging opponents in a team environment with MWO, then what does MW5 offer? Shorter mission times (compared to BT) and easier enemies?

I'm not sure it's got enough differentiation, unless it turns out to be a standout exemplar of excellent gameplay that will hold up for a decade to come the way Descent Freespace did.

#51 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:46 AM

My impressions are mixed. On the one hand, yes, it's got that "CGI trailer looks worlds better than gameplay" thing going on. AI still looks dumb. Sound design and animation are underwhelming.

On the other, it looks much better than the old trailer with the Raven in the base that looked like a late-stage PS2 game, or the godawful gameplay footage of the shooting gallery in the featureless desert box canyon with horrid everything.

At this point MW5 has moved up from "do not ever purchase" to "wait and see once we have post-launch gameplay" for me.

View PostAsym, on 02 December 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

That's It? Seriously? they took the MW2 concept and merged Mercenaries and wa-la ! A new game based on old ideas?

Holy crap............ I'm speechless.......

I don't trust PGI to execute an original idea, sticking close to the roots of the MW games is far safer and probably better for everyone involved.

View PostIronWatch, on 02 December 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

The fatalism of this forum is beyond nihilistic. Bugger me can you kids have any enthusiasm for anything?

Most of the people on this forum are crotchety middle-aged/old men who know better than to fall into the idiotic hype loop, especially when PGI is involved. Were you also telling people "iTs JuSt A bEtA!" before Fallout 76 launched?

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 02 December 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#52 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:49 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 02 December 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

We'll see then. I think predicting doom is not called for at this point.

EA had a MechWarrior online pvp game which Microsoft cancelled for MW4 in 2001 in which the mechs all moved ponderously compared to other MechWarrior games, but oddly enough the combat worked and was great fun. So if PGI is experimenting with this it's a good thing, just to see what works best. Some posts complained about slow AI movement, but that's not really how AI's work.

Hmm.. knock knock... Microsoft did not have EA MPBT 3025 (3rd version) cancelled, EA cancelled it and the majority of projects not created in-house. MW4 Vengeance had already been released, followed by MW4 Mercs 2 years later.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 December 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#53 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 02 December 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

If I can already manage a mercenary unit with HBS-BT, and I can already pilot a bunch of mechs against challenging opponents in a team environment with MWO, then what does MW5 offer? Shorter mission times (compared to BT) and easier enemies?

I'm not sure it's got enough differentiation, unless it turns out to be a standout exemplar of excellent gameplay that will hold up for a decade to come the way Descent Freespace did.

If it's any good, a combination of the whole first-person skill-based MechWarrior satisfaction with the mission-salvage-mechlab-mission loop integral to every game set in BTech.

#54 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

View PostIronWatch, on 02 December 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

The fatalism of this forum is beyond nihilistic. Bugger me can you kids have any enthusiasm for anything?

Path of Exile is pretty swank and I am enjoying my rediscovery of that game right now. Also excited to read reviews of the brand new Mazda 3 in the near future.

Also, kids? Please, child...

#55 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 01 December 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

Yes with a mechlab absolutely, albeit with a time aspect. IE you cant just flop a 300 in your Tbolt. Techs have to install it and it takes time. Also battle salvage, but more complex than "you've found a Large Laser!" maybe a focal lense here, maybe a capacitor there etc. before you can have enough parts to build a weapon.

Does anyone know if
iMW5 has a Cokpit like in MWO or just a hud like in the previous videos? ( Front Window frame doesnt count as cokpit)

Edited by Mighty Spike, 02 December 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#56 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

It's a cockpit and HUD exactly like in MWO.

#57 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

PGI hasn't shown us the most important parts of the game yet, the Mercenary/out of combat aspect of the game, so I have to withhold full judgement.

#58 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

My biggest concern with MW5 is that the gameplay looks very shallow so far. Just wave after wave of mindless targets to kill.
If they keep it this way, i fear that no amount of merc-unit management can make the game interesting enough for me.

Sure, the old MW games were not much better as far as i remember, but when i played those i was a teen and much more easy to entertain. Currently MWO pug matches are way more tactical than this and it would be a shame to see MWO die in favor for a shooting gallery game.

Edited by Daggett, 02 December 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#59 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

All the previous Mechwarrior games were also primarily waves and waves of AI, not sure what else would be expected. But they really need to show it with a higher level of AI, not the militia just woke up from binging the night before...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 December 2018 - 10:32 AM.

#60 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

Just looked at it. Thoughts:

- The overall "feel" is really good. The speed and movement of the 'mechs looks like they have weight. Also with the destructible terrain and vehicles, the 'mechs feel "big" (a long-time shortcoming of MWO).

- The sense of scale and viscerality would be even better with infantry in the game -- I hope they can do it.

- Ultimately I'll be judging the game based on storytelling and gameplay variety. HBS excelled in the former, and kinda failed in the latter. Though with gameplay variety an active mod scene can continue from where PGI leaves it.

- I'm not sure the AI looks problematic when you regard the overall audience. Of which old-time, top-tier MWO players are hopefully something like a fraction of a percent.

- I want that farmland map in MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users